Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds & Vows ❯ Bonds & Vows Part VI ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~ So, what do you all think of Tallinn? She seems awful innocent, doesn't she? Maybe too innocent? I guess you'll have to wait to find out!
Disclaimer: Nope, Escaflowne still isn't mine.
Bonds & Vows
Part VI
By: Penybright
The carriage rolled to a stop, the dapples pulling it pawing the ground and snorting. Van squared his shoulders and took a deep breath as the carriage door began to open. An older man stepped out, his eyes instantly catching on Van. His hair was black, with the occasional streak of gray through it, and his eyes were a light blue that almost seemed green. Behind the man a graceful young lady stepped out. Her hair was long and silky, and the same color as her father's. Her eyes, though, were an ice blue, so pale they almost seemed white. Van groaned inwardly when he saw how old she was.
'Only fifteen. She's just a girl!' Van thought with despair.
"King Van!" King Vespan hailed him. "Meet my daughter Tallinn," He said, brining his daughter around in front of him. The young girl looked shyly at Van and offered a tentative smile as she curtsied.
"Pleased to meet you, Van," she said in a feathery voice.
Van tried to not let his anger show when he looked at King Vespan. Vespan smiled at him, a suspicious glint in his eye. Today was going to be interesting indeed... Turning to his right, Van nodded. His advisor Thomas stepped up. He would be Van's voice for the day as he led them on a tour of the palace.
"If you would be so kind as to follow me," he intoned. "I'm afraid that Lord Van has temporarily lost the use of his voice. Therefore, I will be speaking for him until it returns."
King Vespan smiled knowingly while Tallinn's face grew worried.
"How awful! I hope your voice returns soon. I'm sure you have a lovely voice," she practically cooed, causing Van to blush.
'What does she think I am, some five year old kid?' Van thought as he offered his arm. Tallinn smiled graciously, and seemed only slightly upset when her charming smile didn't make Van melt.
'She probably has princes fawning over her back in her kingdom, so why is she marrying me? I'm sure she's had much better suitors, richer ones too...' Van allowed his mind to scrutinize as he walked.
Throughout the tour, Vespan watched the two like a hawk. He second guessed all of Van's gestures, trying to figure out if the young king was up to something. Tallinn was playing her part very well. She seemed quite smitten with the boy. It was a shame that he didn't seem to be affected by her as most men were. Perhaps he was up to something. There were very few who could resist Tallinn's charm.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>> ;>>>>
After talking with Allen for a while, Hitomi headed back to her room. She needed to think. Perhaps with a little luck, she could catch a glimpse of this king and his daughter. She figured she was a least entitled to see the people who were ruining her life. Quite frankly, she wanted to pound the little tramp who was taking her place. All though Hitomi wished her harm, she knew that it would solve nothing. Wit and cunning were needed to get Van out of this. And since his advisors kept such a close watch on him, he couldn't do it alone. She was surprised they had let him set foot out of his rooms today to see Allen.
Sighing, Hitomi sat down on the edge of her bed. With a groan, she flopped back onto the bed, making a face at the sapphire canopy above her. What a mess! Every time she came to Gaea, it was always something...
The door to Hitomi's room burst open and someone streaked into the room.
"Hitomiiiii," Merle cried, glomping her friend. "I'm so sorry! I heard the news in the market on my way back," Merle breathed out in a rush, hugging Hitomi tightly.
"It's all right Merle, really," Hitomi choked out.
The cat-girl loosened her grip, pulling back to look Hitomi in the eyes.
"No, it's not all right! Why is Lord Van marrying someone besides you? When I find him, I'm going to..."
"Merle please. It's not really Van's fault."
"I find that hard to believe," Merle scoffed.
"I'll fill you in on the details if you agree to tell me where you've been," Hitomi said with a grin.
"Okay," Merle agreed, eyeing Hitomi suspiciously.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>> >>>>>>
Van couldn't decide which was worse, King Vespan glancing constantly at him, as if he were some sort of bug, or Tallinn squeezing the life out of his arm. Of course, maybe Thomas' droning dialogue was the worst... It was official, it was a day in hell. To make matters worse, Van wasn't feeling so well again. Walking wasn't helping his condition, and he could see Tallinn glancing at him worriedly every time he stumbled.
'God, when is this day going to end?!' Van groaned mentally.
After the tour, Van would be subjected to more torture. After this, he would have to stand through a fitting for his wedding garments. After that there was a banquet in his guest's honor. On top of that, Van still had construction to oversee, and documents pilling up on his desk.
'Maybe passing out right now wouldn't be such a bad idea,' he mused, watching the scenery around him lurch and spin.
'Yes, passing out was a very good idea...'
"Van!" Tallinn cried, alarmed. Van suddenly stopped walking. He seemed to pause for a moment, before crumpling to the ground in an unconscious heap.
"Is- is he going to be okay?" Tallinn asked as a medic was sent for.
"I'm sure Lord Van will be fine. He's just had a very stressful day," Thomas explained.
King Vespan walked up to Van's unconscious form, sneering.
"Does he always treat his quests so hospitably?"
"My most humble apologies, Sire. Lord Van wasn't feeling well this morning, I heard. He didn't want to be rude, though, so he pulled himself together to meet you at the gate today," Thomas covered.
"I suppose I won't take this as an insult. Make sure it doesn't happen at the ceremony tomorrow," Vespan warned. "Come Tallinn," he said, taking his daughter's hand and leading her away.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>> >>>>
Van groggily awoke, feeling as if his mouth were full of cotton, and his head stuffed with wool.
"Finally awake I see," a familiar voice chastised. Van blinked the sleep from his eyes, turning to face the owner of the voice. For the first time that week, a genuine smile lit up his face.
"Well, I'm glad to see that you think this whole situation is humorous," Merle said sarcastically. "You passed out in front of your guests. That's bad manners you know, Lord Van."
Van's smile disappeared, and he became serious once more at the mention of his "guests".
"Well, now that you're up, I guess I better get the tailors," Merle sighed, getting up and leaving a distraught Van behind. Yes, today was definitely his day in hell. Idly, Van wondered if he had reached the seventh level yet, or if fate was waiting for tomorrow to dump that on him.
~ Poor Van. Will the torture never end for the poor king? And, will he actually have to marry Tallinn? What about Hitomi and Allen, do they have a plan? And Merle, how does she fit into this? I guess you'll have to keep your eyes peeled for the next chapter to find out!