Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds & Vows ❯ Bonds & Vows Part VII ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~ Well, the last chapter was kind of humorous. This one is a bit sad. I'm not going to give away what happens, but I don't think you're going to like where this chapter goes, or leaves off...
Disclaimer: Escaflowne does not belong to me, and *surprise, surprise* I'm not making any profit off this. It's just for pure insane fun.
Bonds & Vows
Part VII
By: Penybright
After Merle left, Van allowed his head to flop back down on the pillows. He glared darkly at the burgundy velvet canopy above him. What was he going to do? The wedding was tomorrow! He couldn't marry the Princess Tallinn, and yet he couldn't afford not to. Van began to panic realizing how little time he had left. He had to see Hitomi. He had to reassure her of his love and devotion, and that he would find a way back to her.
'A way back to her...' Van sighed silently. He didn't think he'd get a chance to find a way back to her. Van was confidant that King Vespan would make sure he never got the chance.
Rising slowly from his bed, Van made his way to his study, intent on writing a letter to Hitomi. Even if he couldn't give it to her personally, at least she'd know how he felt. Upon entering his study, Van was surrounded by a group of men holding various tailoring devices. It appeared that his letter would have to wait.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>> >>>>
After the evening's events, Van felt worse than he had that morning. He wanted nothing more than to slip into the nothingness of sleep... but he couldn't. Several piles of document s awaited him when he returned to his rooms, all of them needing his signature by tomorrow. And, Van still had to write a letter to Hitomi. He didn't have time for sleep, whether he was ill or not.
Sitting down at his desk, Van pulled the first document off the nearest pile, dipping his quill into the inkwell to sign it. When he was about half way through with the second stack, a wave of nauseous dizziness hit him. Van dropped the quill and gasped as he steadied himself against the desk. Instead of getting better, Van's illness was beginning to worsen.
Taking several deep breaths, Van managed to keep himself from spewing up what little he had managed to eat that day. Water seemed to be the only thing he could look at without feeling the urge to vomit. Perhaps he was coming down with a fever? That scenario seemed unlikely, but it was the only explanation his distraught and sleep deprived brain could think of.
Van was somewhere between the last two stacks of documents when he lost consciousness. The quill drooped from his limp hand, and he slumped onto his desk. The well of ink was knocked over, spilling out onto the wooden surface like a blight. Van noticed none of this as his eyes slid shut and his head lolled to the side. In the morning, he would wake up disoriented, and without any memory of how he had fallen asleep at his desk.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>> >>>>
A very unhappy, and unwilling Van was dragged from his chambers the next afternoon. Dressed in a rather elaborate set of garments, he felt like an idiot as well as ridiculous. That wasn't the worst of it, though. No, the worst part was why he was dressed in such a manner.
Van's advisors watched him warily, seeing how close to panic their king was. He looked as though he would bolt at any moment, or pass out on the spot. Van's pallor had yet to improve from the day before. He still looked sickly, and had acquired some dark circles under his eyes. Quite frankly, he looked like a madman at the moment.
Thomas discreetly motioned for the guards to move closer to Van. Van noticed their shift towards him and began to fidget. How could this be possible? This wasn't supposed to happen! He didn't want to marry Tallinn. He loved someone else! He loved Hitomi, and always would.
Before Van could even get the chance to try and escape, he was seized. They literally dragged the poor king to the throne room, where the ceremony would take place. That was the last thing Van remember until his despairing thoughts were interrupted by the minister's voice.
It was such a simple question, with a simple answer. Yes or no? To be or not to be? Sacrifice his people for his happiness, or sacrifice his happiness for his people? If he said no, he would live the rest of his life feeling a guilt that would probably kill him within a year. If he said yes, he didn't think he'd live much longer. His people would, though. They would live, but would it be in peace and happiness, or depression and despair.
Van was sure now that King Vespan had ill intent. The man looked at Van as though he were already dead. His daughter Tallinn seemed nice enough, but she was too easily controlled by her father. It was such a simple question, but there was no simple answer. If he said no, there would be a long drawn out war, that would lead to the massacre of his people. Van might live through it, but he would probably die. True, he'd be able to be with Hitomi, and have some happiness for a short while... Of course, he could say yes, and his death would be swift and sure. Van had no doubts about that. This wasn't his wedding, it was his execution. Saying yes would ensure his death and the enslavement of his people. So which was the lesser evil? A war that would mean a quick death for everyone in Fanelia, or enslavement that would kill them all slowly?
The minister cleared his throat, indicating Van to answer. Van blinked several times to clear his mind. The lesser of two evils, but which evil? Taking a deep breath, Van opened his lips to mouth the word that would forever seal the fate of him and his country.
~ Soooooo. *tries to look innocent but fails miserably* I think I'll hide for a while in a bomb shelter, if you don't mind. I know this chapter leaves off at a horrible spot, but... Okay, so I have no excuse. I guess you'll just have to wait for the next chapter!