Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds & Vows ❯ Bonds & Vows Part VIII ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~I would have had this up long ago, but as you all know, fanfiction.net was down then. I was so happy that I had the next chapter done, and I really wanted to post it up! Anyway, that's in the past. I know you've all been waiting for this chapter, so I hope you're not disappointed.
Disclaimer: *whines* Do I have to say it again? Escaflowne and its characters do not belong to me.
Bonds & Vows
Part VIII
By: Penybright
Praying to every deity that ever existed that things would turn out all right, Van mouthed the word that was the beginning, and the end. Tallinn beamed at his answer, smiling happily. Van wanted nothing more than to sink into a bottomless hole. He could only wish for a swift painless death, and that his people would survive through their oppression. He was weak he admitted. He was weak because he couldn't bring himself to allow them swift deaths, like himself. He was a selfish coward...
In the end, did it all matter? No matter what choice he made, his people would still resent him for it. If their deaths were quick or prolonged, it would all be their king's fault. The lesser of two evils indeed...
Feeling completely drained, and utterly hopeless, Van no longer felt the will to go on. He was drained, emotionally and physically, and feeling worse by the minute as the newly wedded couple walked out of the throne room. Van never made it out on his own. He stumbled to his knees, clutching his stomach as he gasped in pain. Everything was swirling around him, colors all a blur.
Seeing Van collapse, Allen began to shove his way through the growing crowd. Hitomi followed closely behind, her expression one of distress. Upon reaching Van, Allen picked him up, shouting for people to move out of the way. Most of them ignored him, and he was forced to elbow them out of his way. Hitomi was right behind Allen, anxiously watching Van as his face contorted in pain. Fanelia's new queen, Tallinn, was left behind in the crowd to deal with her new people.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>&g t;>>>
Reaching Van's rooms, Allen kicked open the door. Walking quickly inside, he placed Van carefully on his large canopied bed. As Allen laid Van down, Hitomi pulled of his boots, dropping them on the floor. Allen swept out of the room, explaining that he was going in search of a physician.
Van began to shiver convulsively, and Hitomi yanked the heavy comforter up over his shaking form. Van only twisted the covers around him, tangling them tightly. Hitomi placed her hand on his forehead, to see if he had a fever.
"God Van, you're burning up!" Hitomi exclaimed worriedly as she began to pull her hand away. Van caught her hand as she pulled it away, clasping it tightly. He tried to sit up, but fell back against the pillows coughing. Hitomi was surprised, and shocked, to see specks of blood on his pale lips.
"Oh Van..." Hitomi sighed, brushing tousled locks from his face. "What have they done to you?"
Allen walked briskly into the room, an apprentice healer trailing anxiously behind him. The minor physician approached Van warily, seeing the king's anguished state. Hitomi held Van's hand as he was examined, watching the healer's face closely for an indication of how bad the situation was.
"I'm afraid, that I don't know what's wrong with him... His symptoms aren't from any disease I've ever seen. Master Healer Basil will be returning tomorrow morning. Perhaps he can find what is wrong with him," the apprentice said weakly.
"Can't you do anything for him?" Allen asked in annoyance.
"I- I suppose I could give him something for the pain... There's no guarantee that it will work though."
After the apprentice left, Allen pulled up a chair by Van's bedside. He looked solemnly at Hitomi before speaking what was on his mind.
"I don't think Van's sick because of some illness. I believe he's been poisoned." Allen paused before going on. "You said that he was ill the other day as well, and has been acting rather tired since you got here?"
"Yes," Hitomi replied slowly. "You don't think that..."
"I don't think, I know. We should get some water for him, that should flush some of the poison out of his system."
"But how did they... I mean without him knowing?"
"They probably put it in his food. I think there's more than just one person in this operation. I think Van has defectors within the palace."
"Wounded and surrounded by enemies," Hitomi whispered. "Poor Van has nowhere to hide."
"Yes, well, they didn't count on reinforcements, and that was their mistake. Don't worry Hitomi, I'm sure Van will pull through this. He's been through worse, and is still here. I promise I'll uncover this plot. You can be assured that they will pay for their crime."
"Thank you, Allen," Hitomi said faintly, holding Van's hand tightly.
Van stirred slightly, his eyes opening to slits. Hitomi wanted to cry, but she held it back. She had to be strong... for both of them. Van drowsily looked into the most dazzling pair of jade eyes he had ever seen. Who was this angel watching over him? He tried to force his cloudy mind to work to no avail. Sighing tiredly, he allowed his eyes to slide shut, the darkness sweeping him back into the realm of dreams. Dreams filled with his beautiful jade-eyed angel.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>> ;>>>>
Hitomi had dozed off while watching over Van. She still held his hand loosely, their fingers intertwined. The door suddenly banged open, startling Hitomi from her nap. She looked up to see Tallinn in the doorway. Tallinn looked less than pleased, and several guards were standing behind her.
"Seize her!" Tallinn ordered, giving Hitomi a venomous look. Hitomi was roughly grabbed by two of the guards as she struggled.
"Why?" she asked as they pulled her past Tallinn.
"You are going to be hanged for placing a spell on my husband, witch!" Tallinn hissed.
"No!" Hitomi protested. "I could never hurt Van. How can you accuse me of such a thing!?!"
Hitomi's pleas fell on deaf ears. Tallinn sniffed, slamming the door shut as Hitomi was dragged away.
Tallinn walked over to Van's sleeping form, grinning hatefully.
"Tomorrow your precious little wench dies, Van Fanel. You needn't worry, you'll be joining her soon," Tallinn sneered. Van began to twist and thrash in his sleep as the pain medication he had been given began to wear off.
"Suffer, Fanel. Your death will be anything but painless. And, once you're gone, The Valley of the Dragons will be mine."
Tallinn turned sharply on her heel, and stalked out of the room. She had to speak with her father, and make sure that things were going as planned.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>& gt;>>>>
Van awoke the next morning alone, and in agony. He glanced movement out of the corner of his eye, and turned to see who it was. King Vespan loomed over Van, a malignant smile on his chiseled features.
"Good morning, Van Fanel. Today is a good day to die, don't you think?"
Van gazed at Vespan with wide eyes.
"Foolish boy. Your wench Hitomi is being prepared to be hanged as we speak. It's a pity you won't live to see her die. You see, we can't have anyone interfering with Tallinn's rule, now can we?"
Van tried to get up, but was shoved back down onto the mattress by Vespan.
"Today, your reign ends Van Fanel."
Vespan grabbed one of the pillows from behind Van, bringing it into Van's view. Vespan placed the pillow over Van's face as the young king let out a stifled choke. Van's fingers clawed at Vespan's wrists, desperately trying to get him to loosen his hold. As time wore on, Van's struggles became weaker as he lost air. Van's last thought before loosing consciousness, was of Hitomi.
~ Eek! Another cliffhanger! This one wasn't planned (like the last one). It just sort of... happened. Hopefully the next chapter will end on a better note...