Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds & Vows ❯ Bonds & Vows Part IX ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~ Yes chapter 9 is FINALLY here. You didn't have to wait that long, did you? I'm sure you're anxious to read this, so I'll let you go.
Disclaimer: Escaflowne... *tunes the rest out 'cause she doesn't want to hear it* I think you all get the idea. You're pretty bright people.
Bonds & Vows
Part VIIII
By: Penybright
King Vespan was roughly thrown into the wall, the pillow flying across the room. Van's unconscious form wheezed in a gasp of air as Vespan struggled to his feet. He was met with a very grim faced Allen. Vespan began to pick himself up from the floor, but was dragged roughly to his feet by Allen.
"Game over," Allen said lowly, shoving Vespan against the wall. Vespan retaliated by punching Allen square on the jaw. Allen stumbled back a few steps, and Vespan advanced towards him.
"It's not over yet Schezar," Vespan spat, lunging at the knight. Allen dodged his attack, slamming Vespan to the floor. Vespan struggled, but Allen held him firmly down.
"I think your plot has been uncovered."
Vespan began to laugh.
"You should of let me kill Fanel. He's going to kill himself anyway when the mystic moon waif dies today," he chuckled maliciously.
"What do you mean?" Allen asked, shaking Vespan as he pulled him to his feet.
"I don't have to tell you anything," Vespan snarled.
Allen dragged the struggling king out of Van's chambers and to the dungeons. He sighed uneasily as he wrestled with the king. He had kept his promise to Hitomi.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>&g t;>>>>
Van's eyes slowly began to flutter open, and he winced in pain. One hand instantly flew up to his neck, where he felt the faint stickiness of blood.. With a lot of effort, Van pulled himself up and slid out of bed. After one step, he stumbled and clutched at the bedpost for support. Arduously, Van made his way to his chamber door, using the wall for support. His breathing was raspy and shallow as he sucked in labored breaths. He felt as though his lungs would explode at any minute, but Van had to get to Hitomi, no matter what the cost.
Van stumbled along the palace corridors, gasping in pain. He walked hunched over, an arm wrapped tightly around his stomach. He had to get to Hitomi. He couldn't let them... Van wouldn't, no couldn't finish the thought. Hitomi was going to be fine. He wasn't going to have her taken away from him again. Never again.
Slowly, Van made his way to the palace courtyard, where he knew the hanging would take place. He flinched as he stepped out into the glaring sunlight. Sounds of a large crowd reached his ears, and he pushed himself onward. Thomas suddenly appeared in front of Van, blocking his way.
"Sire, you shouldn't be out of bed," Thomas exclaimed, a menacing undertone in his voice.
Van tried to step around the advisor, but was stopped. Thomas attempted to hold the king back, grasping his shoulders. Van pushed forward with what little strength he had. Thomas was thrown of balance and tumbled to the floor, almost taking Van with him. Van quickly skirted the fallen advisor as he scrambled to his feet. Thomas lunged at Van's ankles, tackling him to the cobblestones. Van crashed to the ground with a silent cry, the fall almost knocking him unconscious.
Thomas struggled with the young king, surprised that he still had so much strength. The poison should have drained him completely. With the dosage Van had been given, he should be on his death bed by now. But, for some reason, the young king was struggling to live, tenaciously hanging onto his thin thread of life.
The combatants continued to struggle on the ground, rolling in the dirt. Van twisted so that they were heading in the direction of he hanging platform, without Thomas' notice. Thomas grinned ferally, noticing how Van's struggles were becoming weaker. Van rolled once more, bringing them into the view of the public. There was aloud gasp as the people saw their king being attacked by one of his own advisors.
Guards rushed to the kings aide, roughly pulling Thomas off him. Thomas sputtered in rage, glaring heatedly at Van.
"You were supposed to die Fanel," he spat contemptuously, not caring who heard.
Van gingerly picked himself up, swaying slightly in the process. His eyes were clouded and bleary, and he wanted nothing more than to rest. He couldn't rest, not now. Turning away from Thomas, Van advanced cautiously towards Tallinn. The young woman smiled sweetly. The sight sickened Van.
"I'm so glad you're not hurt," she cooed, rushing to him and hugging him. Van winced when she touched him.
"Stay away from me witch," he hissed in a raspy voice.
Tallinn stumbled back in surprise.
"You- you can speak?!"
Van nodded, his eyes searching for Hitomi. He found her, bound and gagged, the noose already around her neck. Shoving Tallinn out of the way, Van advanced towards Hitomi. Once reaching her, he quickly pulled the noose off her neck, his fingers quickly working on her bonds. When Hitomi was free of her restraints, she threw her arms around Van's neck and hugged him tightly as tears coursed down her cheeks. Van hugged her back, sighing deeply.
Unwillingly, Van pulled away from Hitomi, turning to face Tallinn. There was nothing but contempt in his gaze.
"You, are no longer my wife," he rasped, managing to choke the words out. Tallinn's eyes narrowed dangerously.
"I wouldn't be so rash dear," she responded, emphasizing the last word. "Unless you want your precious kingdom to go up in flames, hand her over."
Van clutched Hitomi to him, holding her tightly. Hitomi could hear his heart thundering at a pace that was much to fast. Worry quickly began to form in the pit of her stomach. Something was wrong with Van. His eyes were glazed, his breathing forced and shallow. A fine sheen of sweat covered his brow. Hitomi tightened her arms around Van's waist, helping to support him.
"Well, what will it be?"
"A trip to the dungeon for you," Allen said, stepping onto the platform. "Your plot has been uncovered, and if your country so much as blinks, Asturia will be more than happy to obliterate you."
Tallinn screamed in rage and lunged at the knight. He easily caught her, a charming smile alighting his features.
"It's over princess."
Tallinn continued to struggled as she was dragged away by the same guards who had apprehended Thomas. The crowd watched the proceedings in confusion. They had no idea of the secret plot to kill their king and enslave their country. When Tallinn was hauled away however, they all cheered happily. The sounds of joy quickly turned to gasps of worry and surprise when their young king collapsed.
"Van!" Hitomi cried, shaking his shoulders lightly. "Van."
Van groaned, squeezing his eyes shut as pain cascaded through his tired body. His breathing became even more labored as he struggled for each breath.
"Oh god Van..." Hitomi whispered, pulling him into her arms. She cradled him tenderly, praying that he would be all right.
"You can't leave me now. Not after everything we've gone through. Don't you dare leave me Van Fanel," Hitomi said heatedly, tears streaming down her face.
Hi...tomi?" Van managed in a gravely whisper.
"I'm here Van," she comforted him. His hand searched for hers, and when he found it, he clasped it tightly in his own.
"I love you..." he gasped faintly.
"I love you to Van. So much," Hitomi said, her voice breaking with emotion. She began to sob as he went limp in her arms, his fatigue and pain carrying him away to the darkness of insensibility.
~ Well? Did you like this chapter? I know, I know. Hurry up and write the sappy ending! I will... eventually.