Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds & Vows ❯ Bonds & Vows Part X ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~ *sob* I've finally finished Bond & Vows. This is the last chapter. I don't want it to end, but it has. I think I'm going to go cry now....
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, I'm making no profit of this, and anyone that thinks otherwise is no friend of mine.
Bonds & Vows
Part X
By: Penybright
The next several days were hell for Hitomi. She got little, if any, sleep, and was constantly worried. All though she was miserable, she could only guess how much Van was suffering. Even the pain killers and sedatives he had been given only seemed to have minimal effects. He would often cry out in his sleep, reliving some horrific nightmare. Frequently, he would call out for Hitomi. Hitomi would pull him gently into his arms and whisper soothing words as she played with his tousled locks. It seemed to calm him, and she was glad that she could offer him some sort of balm.
When Van had collapsed in her arms, Hitomi had feared for the worst. She knew he'd been poisoned, but she didn't know how bad. When Basil, the court healer, had returned that afternoon, he had quickly given Van some sort of elixir, staring at the king in awe. Hitomi remembered his words and shuddered.
"I don't know what's keeping him alive, but he should have been dead hours ago."
That's when Hitomi finally broke down and began to sob. She knew why he was hanging onto his last thread of life tenaciously. He was doing it for her. He was suffering this torment because he didn't want to leave her. He had promised that they would be together, and even death could not break his promise. It was the sweetest, and yet the most heart-wrenching thing anyone had ever done for her. If she had doubted his love before, she had no qualms now.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>>& gt;>>>
A week had already gone by, and Van showed minimal signs of improving. He no longer thrashed violently in his sleep. He would still call out for Hitomi, but not as often. Hitomi had fallen asleep cradling Van in her arms. She was propped against the headboard of the large ornate bed, her breathing even and soft. Her eyes jerked open when she felt something soft brush her cheek.
Hitomi blinked in the darkness, trying to get her eyes to adjust to the poor lighting. When she could finally make things out, her eyes widened. Van was sleepily gazing at her, a lazy smile tugging at his lips. His hand rested on her shoulder, squeezing it gently.
"Van?"
Van nodded, watching in concern as her eyes flooded with tears.
"I thought I'd lost you!" Hitomi bawled, hugging Van tightly. Van shifted so that he could pull her into his arms. Hitomi buried her face against his shoulder and cried harder. Van remained silent, rubbing her back in an attempt to calm her.
"Hitomi..." he said, trying to sound gentle. His voice was still rough and raspy.
Hitomi lifted her watery green eyes to look at him. She noted how tired he looked, and the faint glaze of pain in his eyes.
"Van, are you all right? You look tired. Maybe I should..."
Hitomi was cut off as Van placed a finger over her lips.
"I'm fine, just a bit fatigued."
"You need your rest," Hitomi admonished as she untangled herself from his arms. Van seemed loath to let her go, his hand catching her wrist.
"Stay," he murmured, his eyes pleading with hers.
"Okay," Hitomi relented. "I'll watch over you while you sleep," she teased, leaning over to tuck the covers around him. Van tugged on her wrist, bringing her down to his level. Before Hitomi could react, he brushed his lips lightly against hers.
"Thank you," he sighed, his hand dropping to the bed as he drifted back to sleep.
Hitomi stood frozen in place for a moment. She lifted her fingers to her lips, a smile alighting her face. She couldn't help the small giggle that escaped her lips. For the first time in days, Hitomi smiled a genuine smile.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>> ;>>>
The following week, a great celebration was being held. Fanelia had many things to celebrate. Vespan and Tallinn had been sent back to Enies, where they had been stripped of their crowns and exiled to a remote country estate. Van was improving greatly, now able to move around on his own. And of course, the people had their young king's engagement to celebrate. They were overjoyed that he had found someone to love that loved him in return.
Van watched the revelry around him with a small grin on his face. Just three weeks ago, his life had seemed so dark. Now, though, he had so much to look forward to. Someone placed a gloved hand gently on his arm, and Van looked up to see who it was.
"Hello Merle," Van greeted the young cat-woman.
Merle smiled happily, seeing the smile in her foster-brother's eyes.
"If it isn't to much to ask, could I bother you for a dance?" Merle asked politely. Van nodded, and stood up.
"I'd be honored," he said, offering Merle his arm.
"Such a gentleman," Merle teased, causing Van to blush. "You know Lord Van, you'd think by now you'd have outgrown that blushing habit."
"Merle," Van protested as he led her around the ballroom floor. When the song ended, Van bowed and Merle curtsied before the two headed back to their seats, where Hitomi was waiting.
"I leave for two minutes, and you steal my fiancé," she said jokingly to Merle.
"What can I say, he's quite a catch," Merle returned.
Van sunk down into his chair, blushing furiously. Hitomi noticed this and smiled. Leaning down, she gave Van a peck on the cheek.
"I don't know what I ever did without you," she grinned. "So, are going to dance with your poor fiancé, or just every other woman in the room?"
Van jumped to his feet, immediately apologizing for not asking her to dance. Hitomi waved if off, explaining that she didn't mind in the least, as long as he was happy.
"How could I not be happy with you by my side," Van whispered in her ear as they danced. This time it was Hitomi's turn to blush, and she hit him playfully on the shoulder.
"You're such a flirt!"
Van looked at her strangely.
"Flirt?"
"It's an Earth term. Just forget I mentioned it."
Van nodded, focussing his attention on the dance. As the night wore on, people began to filter out, heading home to their well earned rest.
Once everyone was gone, Hitomi and Van sat down together on a plush rug in front of one of the various fire places in the palace. As the two young lovers gazed at the merrily dancing flames, they began to catch up on the past few years. Soft murmurs echoed through the hallways as the two discussed the past, present, and most importantly, their future together.
~ Well, was the ending sappy enough? I'm thinking of writing a sequel to this, but I'd like to know what you think. Would you like a sequel or not?