Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ By the Hand of Destiny: Book One; The Journey to Destiny ❯ Chapter Five; Destiny ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Captured by Zaibach and held by the Stratago Folken, Destiny must try to keep the tall brooding man from unravelling her secrets. His attempts are having another affect on her though as she begins to learn about the depth of her abilities. How much will she end up revealing to keep Demitri safe? Can she continue to do the bidding of the Old Ones without getting caught? Now her own destiny is changing, unfolding within the walls of her glass cage.

Chapter Five: Destiny

Written by Fanilia

"Destiny. Destiny."

Slowly I opened my eyes and tried to focus on the sound of my name; Demitri was calling to me, his face a grey image that wavered above. I closed my eyes and gave up the attempt.

"My head." Was all I managed to croak out before the world again went dark.

I opened my eyes. This time the world was in focus, but again it was shrouded in darkness, the room I was in had the windows shuttered, closed, and bolted. There was a soft light cast by several candles burning at various locations through out the room. I was lying in a large comfortable bed, covered by a downy throw and I smiled as my hand travelled over the soft material. But there was something nagging at me, telling me that this wasn't right; I should not be in a bed that I should be…

I bolted up as memory flooded my mind. I voiced my confusion to the dark room "Where am I, where is Demitri?" Startled by the sound of my own voice in the darkened room I climbed gingerly out of the bed and wrapped the throw around my slim body to keep off the cold. I moved carefully towards the door, my steps unsteady. Reaching my destination I came to a halt and leaned heavily on the frame for a time to let the spinning subside in my head. I reached for the handle but froze when a voice from the shadows of the far side of the room spoke.

"Not so fast little one, you're going to be unsteady on your feet for quite sometime. I'm afraid the Emperor would be most displeased if his guest were to become injured."

"Where is Demitri?" I demanded of the familiar sounding voice.

"Your companion is for the time being safe, whether he stays that way is entirely up to you." The owner of the voice said as he approached me from his place in the shadows. He was the man from the glen; his poise spoke of his authority. The deep magenta of his eyes was in stark contrast to the light blue of his hair. But what frightened me most about this strange man was that purple teardrop adorning his cheek just below his right eye; it announced to the world, that this was but a mask covering the true man behind it.

I stared at him wide eyed as he approached me and pushed my back against the doorframe in an effort to distance myself from the man. He chuckled, but then he did stop, towering over me; looking down into my frightened eyes. I needed to get away from him, so I instinctively reached out with my ability to slip into his mind.

I was shocked to realize, that not only couldn't I get into his mind, but also I seemed to be trapped in my own. I had never realized before that I had never been totally confined to my own mind even when I wasn't using my abilities, but always spread out to some degree. The sudden knowledge made my head begin to spin again, and the man stood there quietly as he seemed to be waiting for me to give him my full attention.

"I was beginning to worry about you, the injection I gave you in the forest, it should have only kept you out for a few hours, but it has been more than a day now. I have also given you something to cause you a little confusion, it will not damage you, but it will not allow you to focus your mind or use the abilities I think you posses."

"I don't understand."

"You and I will be spending a lot of time together. If you do as your told you will be rewarded, but try again what I'm sure, by the look on your face, that you just tried and your friend Demitri will suffer." His voice was quiet but the tone was hard as he stared down at me. He then reached out to finger the throw wrapped tightly around me. "Let it fall." I only stared up at him, confused by his last command.

"Remember your friend, Destiny. Now let the wrap fall, I won't say it again."

I averted my eyes from the man before me and let the throw fall to my feet. I stood before him dressed only in the gown I had woken up in. It was silver, soft and sheer, and through it could be seen every curve and shadow of my body. The man smiled at his triumph. He reached out and scooped me into his arms. I gasped, but did not protest. I trembled as he laid me on the bed, but to my surprise he turned and retrieved the throw. He handed it to me then turned to the door. "You learn quickly, that is good. I will see that your friend is brought to see you shortly."

"Thank you." I hesitated and then spoke again, "Uh, I should remember, but I'm afraid I don't, what name should I call you by?"

"I am Lord Folken."

The door was almost closed behind Lord Folken when a hand reached out to stop it from shutting completely. I could see Lord Dilandau had tried to side step Lord Folken and enter the room. I shuddered at the sight of him, but to me he was now a total stranger since I could no longer sense the flavour of his emotions. I felt crippled, vulnerable, and for the first time in my life totally terrified. I shook my mental self, I was not just my abilities, and if I could not use them, I would have to depend on the other five senses that most beings took for granted. I strained my ears to hear the conversation taking place at the half closed door.

"Well Lord Folken, has she finally come to, I wish to meet the Emperor's mysterious guest." He remarked as he tried to push the door further open, it was too dark to get a good view, but I could tell he could see the outline of my body, silhouetted by the candles glowing behind me. Most likely he thought there might be the possibility of a good time to be had, and he wanted his turn.

"Dilandau, this room is off limits to your men and to you. No one enters without my permission and you do not have it." The tone in Lord Folken's voice would have made any other man back down, but not Dilandau, it only served to increase his curiosity.

"I hear she's a pretty one, are you trying to keep her all to yourself?"

"Dilandau, I have no time for your games, if you want to play, I'd suggest you go play with that new Slayer of yours. Hell, I believe is her name isn't it? I have heard she has already bested several of your men, and has commanded the respect of at least one of them." Lord Folken smiled maliciously as he waited for the insult to hit home.

Though the door was still more shut than open I thought I saw the reaction in Dilandau as his eyes flashed with the rage he was feeling at Lord Folken's comment. Then he looked directly into the room again. I couldn't be sure, but I had the distinct feeling that if it were possible he would be back at some later time to take his rage for his superior out on me.

The door closed firmly shutting off any further conversation between the two, I let out my breath; I hadn't even realized that I had been holding it in during the conversation between the two men. I slowly got back off the bed and inspected my surroundings. The wardrobe was bare, my clothes not anywhere in the room. "Well that's one way to insure I don't try to escape, I would never make it two feet unnoticed in this." I mumbled as I looked down again at the sheer gown.

I found that the other door in the room wasn't locked and it led to a bathing chamber, the small pool was already filled with steaming water. There were cleaning crystals and large fluffy towels set out along with a brush and comb. I quickly stripped and stepped into the hot water. The first thing I noticed was that the water had a slight woodsy scent, which created a soothing balm that began to immediately sooth my tense muscles. I took a hand full of the crystals and stood to scrub my body clean, then more to wash my hair. I towelled some of the excess moister from my now clean hair, then spread it out over the back of a head rest to dry while I tried to relax. I had just closed my eyes when I heard someone enter the room. My body jumped of its own accord as fear seized me.

"Destiny, are you all right?" A voice asked as the owner leaned down to where I was seated in the pool.

I turned at the sound of my friend's voice, so overcome with relief and joy that I flung my arms around him and pulled him fully dressed into the pool with me. He allowed me to hold him for a few seconds before he pulled away.

"I'm glad to see you too." But the look in his eyes said he wanted me to enter his mind to see there what he dared not say out loud. When I didn't he bent to me and began to kiss me, or that is what it would appear that he was doing. As he kissed me he spoke quietly into my lips so that only I was able hear him. "What have they done to you?"

"That man Folken, he drugged me so that my mind can't leave my body. Every time I try to concentrate, my head starts spinning."

"Let me think." Demitri was quiet for a time as he decided on a plan. "You need to start undressing me."

"What?"

"Zaibach is very technologically advanced. They have spy orbs everywhere. I'm going to make sure who ever has been monitoring you will have very nasty dreams tonight. It wouldn't surprise me if that blue haired man weren't watching us this very minute. We must make it look like were not plotting, I assume they expect us to talk about what you should be able to do. But all they will hear or see it two people so glad to be alive that they, we, are giving in to our passions, unsure if this might be the last time we might ever be together. It's the ultimate distraction." Demitri whispered as he pulled back to give me access to the buttons on the front of his vest.

He was quiet as I removed his clothes slowly, letting my hands roam over his chest and then begin to unlace his pants. I slid them down slightly faster, for I could see from the look on his face that he had come up with some sort of a plan. "What now, Demitri, I'm running out of clothes."

"Now I take you to bed." He replied with the last kiss. He took a hold of my hand and we both exited the pool heading to the bed in the other chamber. Demitri had brought a towel with and as we stood by the bed he first dried off me, then handing me the towel, I dried him. I was thankful for the low light of the candles, for I could feel my body burning with the embarrassment I felt at the thought of the show someone was observing. Next he gently pushed me onto the bed and climbed in next to me. He began to explorer me, and again kissed me as he related his plan. "I am going to cast a spell to partially cleans the impurities out of your system. Then you link with me and I can give you some of my strength. But you must be very careful, Destiny, if they gain any idea that something is different, they will keep us apart, and I fear that they will be drugging you on a regular basis till they figure out what you do and how you do it."

Demitri didn't wait for me to answer, he pulled away slightly, and then rolled on top gently spreading my legs and entering me. "Moan loudly, I don't want anyone to be able to hear me." He whispered as he began stroking my body with his.

I moaned as I clung to him, the words to the spell softly spoken to my lips, neck and ears. I moaned even louder as the spell had the desired effect and I automatically linked with Demitri's mind. The real passions of our act began coursing between us. We climaxed as one; the waves of pleasure surged through us together. Demitri let his body rest on top of mine as he kissed me slowly and at the same time sent me some of his strength. He rolled off me smiling, as he brushed a stray hair from my face. We were still linked and I could almost hear his thoughts, he wanted to repay me for something. There was more but he shook his head to clear it before I could grasp their meaning. "Remember what I said about being careful Destiny. Oh I've sent a message spirit to Blade. I just told her we'd run into trouble, but to continue on." Demitri whispered in my ear then he left the bed to retrieve his wet clothes.

The two of us were left alone for some time, but anyone watching would have been very disappointed, for after Demitri spread out his clothes to dry by the fire, he climbed back into the bed with me, and pulled the throw over us. We were both sound asleep in a very few minutes.

In the short days that followed I learned to recognize the foods that contained the drug. I would sample a little of each food and the one that made my head start to spin I would carefully avoid eating, hiding it so Lord Folken wouldn't become suspicious. I had decided early on that to risk the cleansing spell Demitri used on me the first night was more dangerous than simply hiding the food. Besides, two captives with nothing on their minds but love mating would have been seriously suspicious.

Folken and I were together almost daily during most of the next few days. Sometimes he would talk to me, but mostly he just sat there and watched me. I feared the latter times the most, wondering if I had said or done something to give myself away. But as time wore on, I became comfortable with his presence, which was a mistake.

On one day in particular, several days after Demitri and I had first been captured, I sat in my room with Folken, this it appeared, would be one of his quiet days. He didn't speak to me, just watched. As the day wore on and Folken showed no sign of talking at all, I could take the silence no more. "Why do you come here to watch me? Is this some sort of torture?"

"I'm sorry, I have had a lot on my mind, and just being in the room with you pleases me. Let me make it up to you, would you join me in something to drink." He smiled, just a small smile, but I responded to it.

"Yes, that would be nice."

Folken left the room, but returned a short time later with two yellowish coloured fruits. "It's Piskis, you just twist the top off like this." He said as he showed me by opening his fruit. He then handed me the other, and a straw reed to drink from. I followed his lead, and after several failed tries, I finally removed the top from my fruit. I put the straw in and took a sip, my lips puckering from the bitterly sour juice.

"ukh, this tastes like hate." I replied as I placed the Piskis down.

"It tastes like what?"

"It tastes like…" My voice trailed off as I realized my mistake, I had let him lull me into a false security, Demitri had told me to be very careful, I had tried, but Folken had tricked me, I was sure of it.

"Now why, I wonder, would you think of a flavour as an emotion? That is unless you have tasted emotions? Tell me, little one what does passion taste like?" Folken asked, never taking his eyes from mine.

"How would I…" I began only to be cut off by Folken's next comment.

"Have you forgotten our conversation when you first arrived as a guest here? You will answer me, and with the truth, or your friend Demitri will loose his ability to taste along with his tongue." His claret eyes had a hard gleam to them, as if he challenged me to find out if he spoke the truth.

I needed to know so I carefully reached out with my ability to gently touch his mind at the same time I bent my head silent tears falling into my folded hands. He would do it, that light touch was all I needed to be certain. I pulled back in. It had been very dangerous to even touch him lightly since I had no way of knowing if he had found a way to tell if I were doing anything or not. I hoped he thought I was still drugged and if he were to find out different, he definitely would hurt Demitri.

"I haven't forgotten." I sighed then continued, "Passion tastes like a rare cooked meat, hot and juicy as it slides across your lips and melts in your mouth."

"Interesting. And joy?"

"Joy is a sparkling red wine; it tickles the roof of your mouth and makes your head light." I answered almost with out thought, all the flavours of beings emotions were like second nature to me, and I knew if I hesitated in any of my answers, he would hurt Demitri with out a second thought.

"Loyalty?"

"Loyalty is crisp, like a fresh vegetable, raw not cooked." I sighed, how many more emotions would her make me explain. As if he could tell what I had been thinking, Folken spoke again.

"Only one more, and your friend will again be safe for the time being. Bliss, Destiny, tell me what it tastes like, the emotion you feel when you climax as that elfin man makes love to you."

My eyes shot up to lock with Folken's as a deep crimson flush spread across my face. Demitri had been right about the spy orbs, and also about Folken being the one watching at times. I wanted to tell him to go to the under world, but I couldn't. Instead I hardened my resolve and answered very truthfully. "Bliss as you call it tastes like the Ruby fruit. Have you ever eaten a Ruby fruit? The skin of the Ruby is fuzzy, the fruit inside is both slightly sour and slightly sweet, but it's the seeds that taste like when Demitri brings me to climax. As you bite down on the seed of a ruby it bursts in your mouth filling it with intense flavour unlike anything you have ever tasted."

I shuddered slightly as I felt the memory of the flavour. Folken reached out and grabbed me roughly pulling me up with him as he stood. He looked at me as if about to do violence, then suddenly released me, leaving the room with out a word.

I waited till I was sure he wasn't going to return, and then headed for the bathing chamber; all the tension of Folken's visit had drained me. A long soak in the hot scented water was just what I needed.

When I finished and had returned to the outer chamber I found, to my surprise, a gown with all the essentials laid out on my bed along with a note. Scrawled across the paper in what I assumed to be Folken's handwriting was: 'You will dine with me tonight-Folken.' I flung myself on the bed as I crumpled the note and threw it across the room.

Instead of a tray delivered by my guard, two of Lord Dilandau's Slayers arrived at my chamber to escort me to dinner with Lord Folken. I had changed into the gown left for me when I realized that he might be viscous enough to have me brought to him in the sheer sleep gown the kind, which I had been wearing since my arrival. The gown was beautiful. Cream coloured silk with simple straight lines and closures down the front shaped like the small heads of dragons. Each dragon closure had a piece of cording twisting around it. The same cording ran the length of the gown where the closures met and the fabric overlapped like the shirt of a man. The neckline came up high to end in a small standing collar. It was exotic, but in a way made me feel like I was being displayed as a collector would display his positions. While I walked down the passageways of the Vione with my escort, I realized that one of the Slayers was the same young man that had battled with Hell in the forest. As we arrived at Folken's private quarters the other Slayer knocked at the door. I could hear the muffled command to enter through it and as I entered leaving the Slayers to stand guard outside, I turned and tilted my head as I spoke.

"Thank you, Kuja." I could see the shocked look on his face as I entered the room and the door closed behind me.

The chamber I entered was an anteroom for receiving guests. In the centre a table was set for two. It contained real china and the utensils were golden, each handle in the shape of a dragon. The same of the crystal stemware, the dragon's body was crafted in glass holding the bowl, as if waiting for it to be filled. I wandered over to gently slide my finger around the rim of one of the glasses, a small sound emitting from it, as the lead in the crystal seemed to sing. I had never seen anything so lovely in my entire life; every thing was so detailed, so exquisite.

"You approve?" Folken's voice came from the door leading to another chamber. Had he not spoken I was positive I would never have heard him enter the room, he moved so silently.

"It is, well it is lovely." I said, my voice betraying the breathlessness I felt. I watched as Folken rounded the table and pulled out the chair for me. As I sat he laid his hand on my shoulder, only briefly and then took the seat across from me.

"This night is to be a sort of a celebration for me, you see. And I wanted to share it with someone."

"What are you celebrating, Lord Folken?"

"It's a personal celebration, just something I was working on that I have finished." Folken replied in a manor that told me nothing. He seemed to be waiting for me to ask more, so that is exactly what I didn't do.

"Well then congratulations." I replied as Folken raised an eyebrow, I was sure, that my reply was not the one he had expected, or maybe even hoped for. He was about to speak again when a soft knock sounded at the door.

"Come."

A female servant entered pushing a wheeled cart containing several covered dishes. The woman didn't speak, as she came to a stop next to the table, she simply turned and left, her task completed. "Thank you, Caz. Shall we begin, Destiny?" Folken asked, not waiting for any answer, but reaching for the bottle of wine, frost still clinging to the sides from having been recently chilled. He opened the bottle, pouring first me, and then himself some of the sparkling liquid into the glasses on the table. "To tasks complete." Folken announced as he raised his glass, motioning me to do the same.

I took a sip of the cold liquid, bubbles; this wasn't a drink shared between two people, it was my description of Joy. I looked up and into Folken's eyes were I could see a sparkle of triumph shining in their depths.

"Drink, Destiny." It was a command, one I couldn't deny, for like all his commands, the threat to Demitri was there even though it was unspoken. I again raised the glass to my lips and drank from it. I could feel the joy the flavour sent coursing through my mind. Never had I realized how strong the connection was between the flavours I had been forced to describe to Lord Folken and my emotions were; they acted like triggers making my minds energy want to break free from the confines I held it to.

Next he set the first of three covered plates in between the two of us on the table, lifting the lid, he revealed fresh, crisp, green vegetables, uncooked. Loyalty. He silently spooned some onto each of our plates. He picked up his utensil, and speared several with the long tines. I followed his lead, never taking my eyes from Folken's face till my small white teeth bit into the food with a slight crunch. I held myself very still, involuntary closing my eyes as the emotion surged thru me. Loyalty. How had he known what this would do to me when I hadn't been aware of it myself? As if knowing what I was thinking he answered.

"You live in a glass cage, Destiny. I have been studying you, and whether you are willing to admit it or not, you have supplied me with some most valuable information. Some of the foods that were brought during your stay here you avoided, which didn't make sense till our talk today."

"I just didn't like them."

"No Destiny, you avoided them."

He removed the plate of vegetables to replace it with a new dish. I knew even before the cover was removed that this would be the rare-cooked meat. I sat silently as he served first me them himself. My hands trembled as I raised the piece of juicy hot meat to my lips. The flavour of it was intense as it coursed thru my body and mind causing me to moan softly. Passion.

Folken watched in fascination as my face mirrored the feelings of the emotions the meat was sending through me. This experiment was progressing far better than even he had expected, and I realized he had thought the flavours of the food would trigger the emotions in me to some extent, but I looked as if they were about to explode from me.

I took his silence as a sign that he meant for me to eat more of the meat, I didn't want to, but I was afraid not only of Folken, but of my own traitorous body and mind. I took and speared another piece of meat. Slowly I lifted it to my lips, only to be stilled by Folken as he reached out to halt my hand, taking the meat from me. I breathed a sigh of relief, but caught my breath as he removed the cover from the final plate to reveal…Ruby fruit. Bliss. I looked at Folken wide eyed as he sliced the fruit in half, placing part on his plate and the rest on mine.

"Don't eat it yet." He said in a low tone. "We will eat it a little later. Destiny, I know you figured out which foods were drugged and that you haven't been eating them. You never left any of the drugged food on your plate as you did with some of the other foods. I still don't know how you shook off the drug in the first place, and I don't expect you will tell me." He seemed glad that he had my total attention, for he wanted to see my reaction to what he was to say next. "I want you to start again with the wine, but this time, I am to be allowed to feel the emotions as you feel them. Don't looked so shocked, Destiny, that is one of your abilities, don't deny it. But be warned, the Slayers guarding this chamber have very specific orders, and should you do anything else to me, they will know and Lord Dilandau will be sent for. I noticed your reaction to him the night he came to your chamber while I was there." He let the threat hang there as he handed me a fresh glass of the wine.

I took the glass from his hand; he had chosen the emotions he asked me about today well. They were all emotions I associated with Demitri. Joy at his friendship. Loyalty so strong that I would never abandon him, for any reason. The passion he made me feel each time he held me to him, and the Bliss we shared during the times we had mated. He hadn't needed the drug to control me, to keep me from trying to escape, and I had never wondered why I hadn't tried. I had allowed myself to have feelings beyond friendship for Demitri, feelings that a part of me still denied.

I lifted the glass to my lips and as I sipped the bubbling liquid I reached out with my mind to link it with Folken's mind. I could see the smile tug at his lips as he experienced the Joy I felt. Then after a few moments I picked up the utensil and speared the vegetables. Again his face reflected the changes he experienced in his mind and felt in his body as fierce Loyalty coursed to him through the link. I waited and then when he nodded to me I ate a piece of the meat. Passion. The emotion seemed to me almost to strong for him to control. Folken moaned as I had done earlier his eyes falling shut for a moment as he experienced the immense emotion. Finally I took a deep breath and reached for the Ruby fruit with a trembling hand.

"No." Folken almost shouted. "Not this one." He said, his voice very close to unsteady. "Kuja!"

The door to the chamber opened and the Slayer entered the room, going to one knee, with his head bowed. "Yes my Lord Folken." He ignored the Slayer before him and instead directed his command to me.

"Eat the fruit and share the emotion, but not with me, Destiny, with him." Folken said as he indicated the Slayer.

I broke the link with Folken's mind and reached my ability to the mind of the Slayer Kuja. Folken noticed that the Slayer didn't seem to be aware of the link, and the discovery seemed to pleased him. I then picked up the fruit, first letting the fuzzy skin tickly my lower lip before biting into it. I tasted the flavour of sweet and sour as the emotions of mating coursed through me and to the Slayer kneeling next to the table. I could see and feel that he was aroused, and becoming very uncomfortable as he stayed at attention, not having been released by his commander. I took another bite of the fruit this time biting off some of the seeds from the centre. As I pierced the seeds with my teeth, the flavour in them burst in my mouth; I could feel the bliss take both myself and the Slayer Kuja over the edge and to climax.

Folken watched as Kuja stood suddenly, taking one step toward me where I was seated at the table. He grabbed me by both arms, pulling me from the seat in into his embrace. He lowered his lips to mine and kissed me deeply. I leaned into him kissing him with the same intensity, but the emotions weren't real, they were triggered by the food and the flavour associated with the emotions. As soon as I could control myself again I broke the link connecting me to Kuja and instantly he broke off the kiss, a look of pure confusion on his face. He kneeled again before his Lord awaiting his punishment for the actions that he had no way of explaining. The punishment didn't come.

"Kuja, tell me exactly what you felt just now." Came the calm and thoughtful words Folken.

"Forgive me Lord Folken, I don't know what came over me."

"Tell me what you felt and then you are free to leave."

"I felt as if I had made love to the woman, there to its final conclusion." Kuja said as his face flamed a bright scarlet.

"You are dismissed, Kuja and as Destiny is feeling fatigued, she is to be escorted to her chamber now." Folken ordered as he stood from the table and headed to the door he had first come from.

Kuja helped me up from my seat at the table and I leaned heavily on him as we started for the door. The return trip to my chamber was almost more than I could take in my weakened state. The Slayer, Kuja, kept an arm around me taking some of the weight as we went. When we arrived at my room he helped me inside and to the bed. I looked up at the Slayer, a desperate plea in my eyes.

"Please Kuja, may I have a little of your strength, I...."

"I don't understand what happened back there and it isn't my place as a solider to question my superiors, but I feel that you need something more from me." He smiled, a smile that reached his bright blue eyes. I again linked with his mind, this time he knew that he had in some way joined with me, he could feel my exhaustion and he sent some of his physical strength to me. I sighed as the strength entered me, renewing me slightly. Kuja covered me with the throw from the foot of the bed and then turned leaving the room.

I could hear the two Slayers talking as Kuja quietly closed the door to the room.

"Kuja, what happened when Lord Folken called you into the room?"

"I'm not sure, Gatti, but…I think I had sex with her." The door closed at the same time as I drifted off to sleep, the words Folken had spoken echoing in my mind.

I dreamt of Artemis and Allen, travelling through the forest near the Asturia boarder; the Old Ones were telling me I was again needed. I woke with a start sitting up in bed to face a new dilemma; I had never ignored the direction given to me by the Old Ones. But at the same time all that I had gone through tonight had drained me badly, and the strength I had received from the Slayer Kuja had helped to some degree to restore me, but I was far from where I should be to leave my body and fold time and space. I must have already done something to displease the Old Ones, I was sure of it, or why would they have allowed me to be in this situation now. I decided that I feared their wrath more than that of Lord Folken, or of the entire Zaibach Empire for that matter, so it was up to me and me alone to see that I wasn't caught.

I lay back down on my pillow and curled into my favourite sleeping position. I pulled my energy in, forming the tight sphere that I used when leaving my body and closed my eyes, concentrating on feeling the slight pull as the energy separated from my body. I hovered momentarily, unsure whether to just leave or to stay long enough to see if any one noticed. Then a better idea struck me, I homed in on Folken's essence, on where he was in the fortress at this moment, finding him and hovering over him as he sat in front of a monitor. He was indeed watching me, as I appeared to be asleep. Demitri had clearly been right about the spy orbs and about who was watching me. I watched as he smiled, his flesh hand reaching up to touch the monitor and it's image of me. I carefully entered his mind to find that he was indeed gaining pleasure from watching me sleep. I found the tired feelings he was keeping at bay while he thought about the meal we had shared tonight. He had wanted to be the one who had experienced the bliss with me, but the trained sorcerer in him knew it would be too dangerous, that he was beginning to feel protective of something that in all likeliness would have to be destroyed for the good of the Zaibach Empire and the good of his Emperor. The man had begun to like me. I wanted to stay longer, but my energy was low to start with, so I broke the restraints he held on the fatigue he felt, and was rewarded when the man yawned. He reached up and switched off the monitor, standing and leaving the room as I withdrew from his mind.

I acted quickly, folding time and space to arrive above a dense green forest, the stars above me twinkling and the air a crisp cold. I homed in on Blade's essence, but did not show my presence to the wolf curled up out of sight, one ear twitching as she slept lightly, ready to wake at the slightest sound. I went straight to the two by a blazing campfire. The woman, Artemis, sat staring at the flames trying to avoid watching the Knight of Calei as he removed a sodden and mud encrusted shirt to lay it by the fire to dry. Artemis was in a mood, most likely caused by guilt over the fact that the man, Allen seemed to be favouring one arm. She kept herself across the fire and away from Allen. I slipped into her mind as Allen spoke, "Suit yourself. I'm going to sleep awhile." He told Artemis. She didn't answer, but just continued to stare into the flames as he closed his eyes. It didn't take long for his breathing to fall into an even rhythm but sudden shivers punctuated it now and then as he slept.

I could feel Artemis's agitation clearly in her mind telling her that the stupid man would probably catch pneumonia or something worse. Then trying to convince herself that she did not care. I could feel I still had more work to do, so I calmed Artemis's agitation, and encouraged the feelings of concern that she had tried to suppress. It hadn't taken very long, and I hoped it would be enough for now since my energy was ebbing badly. I left her mind to fold time and space, returning to the Floating Fortress and the room in which my body waited for me. I re-entered my body, my energy so low that I was barely able to open my eyes as sleep stole over me. The last thought to cross my mind as darkness evolved me were Folken's words.

"You live in a glass cage, Destiny."