Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ By the Hand of Destiny: Book One; The Journey to Destiny ❯ Chapter Six; Artemis ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Artemis and Allen travel together to find Artemis's rival, Hell. But alone in a forest is not where Artemis wants to be, and not with this man. She fights him every step of the way, but her dreams reveal to her different desirers. And now she must fight her self or give in. Is an outside force working to bring these two together?

Chapter Six: Artemis

Written by Tayles

This was such a foolish idea! I berated myself as I walked. How did he manage to talk me into this? I've abandoned a job, disobeyed guild regulations and left my city - and for what? I don't even like the man yet I've agreed to traipse across two countries with him in search of a woman who last I saw was holding a sword to my throat. This was completely unlike me - I do not make rash decisions or mistakes.

I cast a sidelong glance at my "companion". He was showing no signs of weariness as we trudged onwards, even as the dawn began to smudge the light filtering through the canopy. At least he could keep pace. He had a look of determination on his face, not an unbecoming expression on his features, but an unnerving one. I had never seen Allen so serious about catching me. We hadn't spoken since we left the city. There didn't seem to be anything more to say. This promised to be an uneventful, thoroughly demoralizing experience.

The ground was steadily becoming boggier as we moved quickly; I had to concentrate hard not to slip on the damp ground - especially in Allen's presence. I could not stand the thought of him laughing at me. But I knew where we were - there was a stream up ahead that we would have to cross now. After that we would be in Egzardia and the terrain would steadily improve as we headed further east.

"Down here?" Allen's voice startled me for a moment. He'd stopped at the bank of the stream and was looking at me with that open expression. I gave myself a mental shake and pulled my sense together.

"Yes. Yes, there's a stepping stone path across to the far bank. It marks the border of Asturia and Egzardia." Allen nodded and started down the slope. He did not glance back as he stepped cautiously from boulder to protruding boulder. A moments pause and then I followed him.

"Careful, the rocks become slippery here." I offered no response to his caution and continued heedless. Who did he think he was? Artemis Tribal did not need the help of a Knight Caeli. I am perfectly capable of handling myself, as he should know well enough.

Again he interrupted my thoughts. "Give me your hand."

"What?"

"This last jump is quite far. Give me your hand and I'll help you across." I blanched at his voice. He actually believed I needed his help! How dare he? I have taken care of myself ever since… ever since Hell defeated me. Determined to show him I was capable I held my hands, balled into fists, firmly at my side.

"I can manage," I said stiffly, watching as his eyebrows drew together in mild annoyance. The expression was perfect - it was so difficult to shake his polished exterior that I felt completely rewarded by that one moment of irritation.

Of course I should have been watching my feet and not Allen's face.

I strode forward, pride making me foolhardy. As I went to make the small leap to the bank my foot shot out from under me on the slimy surface. I managed at the last moment to avoid the water but my landing was all the more awkward then had I fallen face first into the silt. I landed bodily against Allen whose hands closed instinctively around me to steady himself. The result was that we both went backwards onto the sodden grass, Allen's plush Calei uniform absorbing most of the impact, and the mud.

"Are you ok?" He lifted his stained face to look at me as I lay against his heaving chest.

"I think so. Are you?" He winced as he sat part way up and flexed the arm that wasn't still around me.

"Bruised but nothing too bad." He smiled hesitantly and I could have predicted the words he dared to utter next. "I told you to be careful."

"Yes, yes you did, I'm so sorry I didn't listen to you. Are you happy now? You were right. You, the elegant, perfect Knight of the city, were right and I, the common, rough assassin was wrong." I pushed myself off of him and strode up the bank scowling. After a minute he followed me, cradling his right arm to his body. Well he was not going to get any sympathy from me - if he hadn't… it would not have happened if he… ok it was my fault. But I am always reluctant to admit it on the rare occasions I make mistakes.

"Let's have a camp here for a few hours," I suggested once we had passed under the shelter of the tree boughs. "I'll get some wood for a fire so you can dry off." He nodded but remained silent. Marvellous! He was going to sulk from now on was he? This was just getting better and better…

Cursing under my breath I headed off into the trees to gather some fallen branches and bracken to set alight. This was not happening; I was not helping a Knight Caeli - let alone a Knight Caeli that enjoyed making my life a waking nightmare - and I was not out in the woods of Egzardia collecting firewood on my way to find a woman who last time I saw had taken pleasure in defeating me.

"Better make it a small fire - we do not want anyone to know we're here." Allen's voice floated from the clearing, ever the voice of reason. I agreed with him completely though - I did not wish anyone to know I was travelling with him.

"I get the feeling you do not want to talk to me. Artemis? I'm sorry I offended you if that's what you want to hear." Why can he not just be silent? Forget the fire, his voice would attract all the unnecessary attention.

"I shall sit here and talk to myself then shall I?" He seemed to find this so amusing! As I returned to the clearing I fought the urge to use one of the heavier branches as a weapon - but that would have been crude of an assassin. A garrotte wire would be much more my style.

I ignored Allen's attempts at conversation as I focused on lighting the small blaze. Once that was done I turned from his shivering, but still talking, form and began once more towards the trees.

"Where are you going now?"

"To find some game of some kind. Unfortunately I did promise I'd feed you." An eyebrow raised and a dismissive gesture was made with his hand.

"Do not trouble yourself with that now. You should rest. We can find food after we've slept awhile." I was about to protest but changed my mind.

"But surely one of us should keep watch?" I did not want to fall asleep with only him for company.

"I do not think we need to. This is not yet Zaibach territory and we are both well trained to wake should trouble arise. I for one just want to rest before I catch a cold from this wet shirt. Actually…" To my surprise he began to remove his uniform: overskirt falling to the ground before the shoulder straps of the blue Caeli clothing were undone. Untying the cravat and loosening the top buttons he tugged the shirt over his head, hair falling messily down his bare back.

"What are you…" I began in indignation, blushing until I realized. I bit my lip shut as he lay the sopping garment down in front of the flames to dry before seating himself to get the full benefit of the heat. It was tempting to join him in the warmth but I refused to let thoughts of my own comfort replace my irritation with the man. So I sat opposite him, in the chillier but more distanced space of the fire.

"You'll be cold over there," his smooth voice said over the crackle of the branches as the fire consumed them.

"You'll be cold without your clothes on," I replied moodily. He smiled a little at my coldness. He lay back, resting on his elbows, the firelight throwing and twisting the flickering light over his face. It was still early morning but the sun was slow in rising.

"It won't do you any good to catch an illness now Artemis. And I'm assuming you wouldn't let me nurse you if you did. So let your pride go for the moment and come here in the warm." He patted a spot away from him. "It's alright, you can still be aloof and biting from here." I just rolled my eyes at him. Shrugging, he lay down, rolling onto his side.

"Suit yourself. I'm going to sleep awhile." Biting my lip I just stared into the flames as he closed his eyes. It did not take long for his breathing to fall into an even rhythm put it was punctuated by sudden shivers now and then. Stupid man would probably catch pneumonia or something worse. Not that I cared of course.

So why was I standing and moving towards him with an unfamiliar sense of concern melting through my being? As if detached from my physical form I saw that I was removing my ever-present black cloak and wrapping it around Allen's frozen torso and shoulders. So much for not caring then. Such was the curse of humanity I supposed: the desire to care and be cared for. But one moment of weakness wouldn't break me. No and I was only doing it to suppress my own feelings of guilt so it didn't really count for anything. That's what I told myself as I settled a little way across from Allen, watching as the shivers gradually decreased before vanishing completely. The last thing I remember was Allen's contented sigh as he drew my cloak up beneath his nose, before I fell into a welcome sleep.

I was dreaming. I knew this because I was watching myself from above. I was suspended above the scene from earlier: there I was, walking stubbornly behind Allen across those damned stepping-stones. It was odd that I could recall the scene with such clarity.

Maybe this was a nightmare, I thought as I watched again Allen offer Artemis, me, his hand. Did I have to watch this torturous humiliation over and over? But I could not help but watch as Artemis foolishly refused the knight's help and I cringed as I waited for the fall.

And there it was. The embarrassing sight was replaying itself and I saw Artemis fall ungracefully forward, thudding against Allen as we hit the muddy embankment. All over again I felt the air knocked out of me as if I was the image I was watching. I was dazed for a moment before Artemis realized she was lying on Allen's chest.

From the height I was I could not hear Allen ask Artemis if she was ok. But I saw his lips move and for the first time I saw the concern in his eyes.

The image Artemis looked up and replied the affirmative. I noticed she was staring at the knight's lips as he spoke - I hadn't looked at him like that had I? For a moment Artemis looked almost longingly at Allen. This had to be the dream warping my recollection of events. I had not looked at Allen with such open desire on my face - I didn't even like the man!

The dream continued the lie memory. I watched in fascinated horror as Allen leaned towards Artemis, the same longing reflected in his crystal eyes. I tried to block the scene, cry out to wake up but the image still played. The instant Allen's lips touched hers Artemis melted into his embrace, returning the kiss with a passion I only dedicated to my job. I was suspended above myself and I could not help but see the beauty of that perfect kiss - for once the awkwardness that I had built between Allen and myself had disintegrated and Artemis and Allen shared in the pleasure of a hungry kiss.

Just as I had accepted the situation I awoke. I lay with my eyes squeezed tightly shut, torn between wanting to come back to my normal hostilities with Allen and longing to return to the warmth and tenderness of the dream. Why on Gaea had I dreamt that? I hadn't felt any such feelings towards Allen previously. And it hardly stemmed from sexual needs. I had met a man two nights ago that had suited me quite well for that aspect of human need. So why? As if I needn't any other frustrations put into my head where the blond Knight was concerned. Well I could hardly sleep now. I was agitated and oddly curious about what my psyche was trying to tell me.

I opened my eyes to find my vision obscured by a waterfall of golden strands. For a moment I felt perfectly safe in the warm cocoon until I realized with a start what must have happened.

I couldn't see because Allen had rolled over in his sleep and his hair had fallen over my face like a curtain. It was silky and mildly ticklish as it whispered against the sensitive skin of my lips. It was quite a pleasant sensation and as I inhaled I breathed in a hint of Allen's spicy cologne.

Suddenly irritated with myself I raised myself up on an elbow and glowered down at the Knight's sleeping face. He was frowning in his sleep and he moaned softly at some internal nightmare.

"Allen," I called, softer than I had intended, thrown by the uncharacteristic look of sorrow on his statuesque features. I froze as he called a name in his sleep.

"Celena…" he mumbled, reaching out towards my voice with one hand. He gripped my wrist and called the mystery woman's name again.

"Allen!" I said, sharply now, "wake up."

"Hmm?" He looked up at me a little blearily, that one blond strand hanging between his eyes. Those eyes flicked to his steel hold on my arm and then back to my face. "I apologize Artemis." His fingers cautiously released me and his arm drew back to push his hair from his face. There was silence between us and both of us resumed our sleeping positions for the night. Sleep came slowly upon me, my last thoughts of the journey ahead of us in search of my once friend and mentor, Hell.