Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Can't Live Without 'Em ❯ The Gloves ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 1: The Gloves

A/N: I wanted to make people laugh so I wrote this. It’s kind of dumb really, but that’s up to my readers I guess. This fic is based on the fact that you never see some characters without certain things. As you can derive from the title, this chapter is about Van and his beloved gloves. The characters are a bit OOC. Enjoy.

Disclaimer: I don’t own Escaflowne, I just write the occasional fanfic. On with the show!

The Gloves

Van climbed out of bed happily thinking. Tomorrow was the day that he would be married to Hitomi: his one true love. He dressed quickly and pulled on his favorite, comfortable, supple brown leather gloves and strode eagerly out of his bedroom to face the day.

*~*~*~*
Hitomi sighed in exasperation and banged her head against the dining hall table as Van entered, whistling a cheery Fanelian tune. He once more wore the gloves that she’d never once seen him without.
“That had to hurt.”
“I’m not in the mood for sarcasm, Merle,” Hitomi snapped.
“Aren’t you happy Hitomi? We’re getting married tomorrow!” Van cried with glee.
“I’m more than happy, Van. I’m thrilled that the big day is tomorrow, but....”
“But what? Are you have second thoughts?” Van sounded genuinely concerned.
Merle chose this as the best time to leave the lovers alone.
“No, I’m not. You don’t have to doubt me.”
“Then what is it Hitomi? I can’t stand to see you like this!”
Hitomi tried to think of a way to put her words gently. “What did you decide to wear tomorrow?”
“That white tuxedo that we both liked.”
“I suppose you’ll want to wear your gloves as well?”
“You know me so well Hitomi. I think that we really must be soul mates.”
“Don’t you think that brown and white clash a bit?”
Van looked thoughtful and Hitomi began to hope that her plan was working. That is until... “Nope. White goes with everything.”
Hitomi rolled her eyes. That was the reply of a typical man speaking through the king that she loved. Straight men had absolutely no fashion sense. “What ever,” she muttered, giving up hope that she would ever see Van without those gloves.
*~*~*~*~*

The big day had finally arrived. Hitomi stopped Van short as he was about to enter the church doors to go stand by the alter. The whole country- and more- were present and the lovers were dressed in their wedding splendor. Van of course sported his gloves. Hitomi would hate to tell him, but the gloves made him look down right tacky.
“Van. I hate to say this, but the gloves look bad. They HAVE to go.”
Van looked down at his hands. “Hitomi, I really don’t think that this is the time.”
Hitomi had known that Van would be reluctant, but she wasn’t going to quit without a fight. She was thoroughly sick of those gloves. “Van. Don’t...argue...with...me. Take. Them off. NOW!” Her words came in choppy bits as she tried to control her rage. Van had never seen her like this. It was making him nervous.
The doors to the church were barely open, but the arguing could be clearly heard. The whole congregation stared and listened toward the wide, nearly closed, double doors.
“Come on Hitomi. The wedding should’ve started by now,” Van whimpered.
Hitomi angrily stomped her foot down. “VAN! There will be NO wedding until you remove those gloves!”
Van could tell that she wasn’t going to yield and submitted to stripping off the gloves. A servant nearby carried them away.
“That’s more like it,” Hitomi chattered, happy now that the gloves were out of her sight.
“I feel like I’ve striped away my identity!” Van whined loudly, missing the warmth of his gloves already. His hands now felt chilled and stiff.
“Poppycock. Let’s go get married, Van.”
“But I feel NAKED!”
“MARCH!” Hitomi shouted, not caring who heard. Her ice-cold glare seemed to have come from hell and the devil himself.
The whole room was shocked to see the young king without his gloves. It took the priest a moment to process in his brain that it was time to commence the task for which he had been brought here today.
“Now we know who wears the pants where that girl is from,” came a male voice from one of the back pews. “King Van isn’t going to be getting a lot of say in matters any more.”
After the honeymoon, no one ever saw the young king without his dear gloves again. Hitomi, however, was happy that she’d seen him just once without them and never again tried to force him to remove them.


A/N: That’s the end to chapter one. I hope that you enjoyed it and I’m sorry that it was only a page and a half. I hope that you’ll all take the time to review and come back when chapter two is posted. I also hope that no one was offended by any content in this story. I didn’t mean it to be offensive in any way. ;p
- Sparkling Twilight