Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Can't Live Without 'Em ❯ The Nail-File ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
         A/N: I'm too lazy to write out the title of the story. Besides, I'm sure that after the first four chapters anyone who is actually reading it knows the name of the story. This chapter will cover Merle and the nail file that she always wears around her neck. Hope that any and all readers enjoy it. (By the way, any suggestions for chapter titles can be written in a review! Thanks.)
        
 &nb sp;       Disclaimer: See chapter 1

The Nail-File
         Merle sat on the roof of the Fanelian castle filing her nails. For a mere second she paused, inspecting the nail that she had just completed and then glanced at her file. It was a metal file with a handhold made from a shiny red enamel. Lord Van had given it to her for her birthday years ago, and that only made it all the more special. Once completed with her filing, Merle let the object drop back against her chest and raced back inside the castle.
         Later, Merle decided that she would spy on Van and Hitomi. They always proved an engaging pair to watch and today would be no exception, seeing as to Van wanted this to be alone time with the one he loved. She found them near the lake and ducked behind bushes at the edge of the body of water.
         She could see Hitomi's lips move, but even her sensitive ears had a hard time picking up the conversation seeing as the wind had started up a ruckus. With annoyance, she began to fiddle with the nail-file that was tied around her neck.
         Merle was getting so annoyed that she couldn't understand their words, that she began to tug angrily at the file, never realizing that the knot that held it in place was coming undone. Finally she got so fed up that she jumped to her feet. The motion caused her nail-file to go sailing into the lake. She attempted to recover it, but being made of metal, the object sank faster than she could get to it.
         Her efforts only caused her to fall into the icy water. Screaming, she fought to get out of the liquid that had swallowed her precious file. Her screaming brought the near-by Van and Hitomi running to her and by the time they reached the lake, the cat girl sat by the edge of the water, sulking.
         Merle, you're not supposed to be here just now, Van reminded her.
         Hitomi smacked him, just a little bit harder than the warning smacks that she usually gave. Be nice Van! Can't you see that she's upset?
         Yes, but I said that-
         It doesn't matter right now, Van. Merle, what's the matter? Why the long face?
         Merle looked at her, eyes full of tears. My nail-file. It fell into the lake.
         Well it wouldn't have fallen into the lake if you hadn't been here, Van said as a scowl crossed his face at the thought that once again Merle had ruined his alone time with Hitomi.
         Van, can't you be just a little more understanding? She loves that thing.
         Van's features softened as he remembered how much Merle treasured the trinket that he'd given her years ago. He knelt by the cat girl and put a comforting hand on her shoulder. It's all right Merle. I'll get you a new one. It'll look just like that one did.
         But it won't be the same! Merle cried as the tears began to make their paths down her face. You gave that to me on my first birthday here at the palace. You can't just replace it! It was clear that she was going hysterical. Van could no longer be cold-hearted to his long time friend.
         All right, Merle. If it means that much to you, then we'll go in and get it back.
         Her tears ceased at once. Really?
         Really, Hitomi assured her.
         Van striped off his shirt and boots and got ready to dive in. Hitomi thought to herself how sexy her husband looked with his shirt off. (Hey wouldn't you, girls? ^.~) He sucked in his breath and rushed into the icy water without a thought. Without hesitation, he dove under and opened his eyes.
         The bottom was dark, and he couldn't see the file. With long strokes, he began to swim toward the lake's bottom. He looked back and forth. Where the hell was it? He lungs felt as though they would explode. He allowed himself to float back to the surface.
         Sucking in another breath, he went back under. The water was making his eyes blurry, but he wasn't going to stop until he had the desired object in his hand. There! The nail-file lay in a pile of algae nearly ten meters from where he was. He swam until he was just above it. He needed air again.
         The next breath that he took was quick. It was hard to get all the way down to the lake's floor. His body wanted to yank him back to the surface and keep him there. Ah ha! He had it. He came up coughing and sputtering, waving the nail-file in the air.
         Merle and Hitomi cheered and he began to make his way back to the shore. The moment his knees touched the dirt, Hitomi kissed him and Merle snatched the file away from him. Lovingly, she rubbed it up against her cheek and purred.
         You look as though you've gotten cat nip Merle! Hitomi laughed at the contented cat-girl.
         What's cat nip? Merle and Van asked in unison.
         It's a plant that makes cats really happy; so happy that they almost seem to be drunk.
         People from the Mystic Moon have strange plants, Merle told her before she skipped off, swinging her nail-file by it's cord happily as she went.

         A/N: So how was that? Probably not the top chapter in the book. (At least not to me.) Please be kind and leave a review.
         Tamara: I hope you all love my sister enough to leave her a damn review! That's all she goes on about these days.... 'Ohhhh! Tamara! I got one review for CLWE! I'm sooo happy. They gave me NINE over all....' So thank-you to that person for now making my life a complete and total HELL. This is all she obsesses about and I guess it makes her day so whatever..... (I will get you back when I find out who sent it. LOL J/K)
         ST: Be nice T! I would like to thank my first reviewer, though I feel guilty that I can't remember your name off the top off my head. I'll post it in the next chapter. Now Tamara, you should know better than to insult my readers!
         Tamara: I wasn't insulting your reviewers!!! I was giving you a hard time. I had a good teacher, I guess. I love you all, don't worry....
         ST: Thank you. I'll try to update soon, but hey! Don't I always? Thanks for reading/reviewing. T said 'Bye!'
                  -Sparkling Twilight