Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Fan the Flame ❯ Fade ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two: Fade
 
I just needed someone to talk to
 
You were just too busy with yourself
 
You were never there for me
 
To express how I felt
 
-----
 
Miguel sat patiently on his bed while Gatti divided the papers, which had certain training dates, and how many times a day it was. It reminded Miguel of school all over again, except not in a one-room schoolhouse.
 
`We are to pick up our swords tomorrow at five in the morning and then go for out first fencing lesson.'
 
Miguel groaned. It was the one thing he hated more then his father was getting up that early.
 
`Where are we supposed to pick up our swords?' Shesta inquired.
 
`Give me a moment… ah! It says that we're supposed to get them in the south wing, in the “Armories room”. There's a side note, “if for any reason you are expelled, you must return all weaponry” awe that's not fair.' Gatti complained and tossed the papers on the floor in boredom and anger.
 
`I have an idea.' Shesta said. `To get there without hassle, we should go find it now. Since there isn't anything to do.' He added as a side note.
 
`Are you sure we're allowed to wonder around this place without being instructed?' Miguel pondered. He wasn't one to purposely break the rules. He tried to stay away from anything that looked fishy. `I don't think we should go.' Miguel said but the others were already pulling on their shoes.
 
`C'mon Miguel.' Gatti picked up his shoes and threw them at him, Miguel put his hands and knees up in defense and the shoes went flying in different directions.
 
`What are you doing?' Miguel shouted in antagonism. He jumped up and grabbed his shoes with force that he almost dropped them again. Gatti stifled a laugh while Shesta looked at him amused as he slumped back on his hard mattress.
 
`Are you going with us or not?'
 
`Send me letter!' he mumbled. Shesta sighed and left the room.
 
Gatti looked at him until Miguel looked up at him with the same sour frown. `It was just a shoe, Miguel.' He said quietly. Miguel kept quiet. He hated things being thrown at him. He had his reasons and he didn't feel like sharing.
 
`Shouldn't you be leaving?' He asked quietly, averting his gaze. Gatti signed audibly and then left the room slamming the door so that Miguel jumped slightly.
 
There was an unnerving hum in the room that signified its silence. Miguel pushed his hands down on his bed to check for any softness at all. He missed his old bed; at least it was soft in the middle.
 
The door opened suddenly and another person walked in with piles of sheets and towels in front of its face. Miguel got up and helped the person and soon found out that it was the girl who brought his room the papers.
 
`Here.' She said. She seemed very tired. `Laundry is every week at eight am so don't miss it. If you do, you will have to wait another week etcetera. Your code names are imprinted on all your bedding so do not mix them up.' With that said, she turned on heel and left. Miguel thought in the back of his head that he would rather have a woman's job then be here in training.
 
He unfolded the sheets and found his matching set and started to make his bed. It wasn't very much. A bottom sheet, a top sheet a small pillow and a thin fleece gray blanket were all that they were given.
 
Once again he sat in silence.
 
Sickening, spin tingling, silence that crept through the cracks and settled over his shoulders. He tried to shake it off but he couldn't. He couldn't stand the silence; it was uncomforting he just wanted to scream! Miguel jumped off his bed as the door once again opened.
 
`Hi! Were in the room next to yours.' Said a boy who looked a little younger then the fifteen-year-old Miguel.
 
`We're the 5000 series.' The smaller boy smiled. The two walked in and shut the door after them.
 
`Hey I know that we're not supposed to tell everyone our name but I just find it a little weird calling everyone by 5730 okay?' The younger boy had emerald eyes. He leaned against the wall, appearing to make himself more comfortable. The other boy made his way to a vacant bed.
 
The other boy was really short, disguising his appropriate age. He had short, jet black hair and eyes to match.
 
`I'm Guimel and that's Sebastian.' Sebastian nodded when the boy standing up said his name. Guimel made his way towards Miguel who recoiled a little with instinct. Guimel offered a hand and with difficulty Miguel gave him his.
 
`Viole, our other roommate went off somewhere.' He said while shaking his hand.
 
`Did you come here because you wanted to?' Miguel asked shyly.
 
`Of course! Who doesn't want to be Dragon Slayer? It is honorable to become a part of something as great as that.' Sebastian said excitedly.
 
`Somewhat.' Guimel added. `What about you?'
 
Miguel remained silent. `Oh yea! Of course I came here because I wanted to. The uh, Dragon Slayers are so amazing. I hope I even become part of the elite.' Miguel felt his heart sink with every word he spoke.
 
`That would be amazing!' Sebastian agreed.
 
`Well, if you two don't mind, I was about to have a shower so if you… well, wouldn't mind?' The two nodded, said their goodbyes and left.
 
Miguel leaned against the door, groaning. He felt down all of a sudden, almost hurt that he was here when he should be at home looking after his mother, even when she rarely looked after him.
 
He walked over to his bed and grabbed the journal that he brought. He then walked to the bathroom and turned on the shower. He sat in the corner of the bathroom and started to write.
 
“This isn't right. I should not have to be here. I should be able to do whatever I please. Not be condemned to what my father wanted me to be. I'm being treated like a woman, but at least they get to stay at home.
I hate being here. I hate the people, I hate the room, and I hate everything about this place. Why father? Why did you make me come here?
 
You self-indulgent, insistent bastard! Just want her to yourself don't you? You don't care about her! You don't care about anything but your needs! I'm sick of your passive aggressive bullshit! All those times you threw me against the floor! All those times I tried to protect her!”
 
He wasn't aware of it until it splashed on the page and smeared his writing that he was crying. He was hateful of his father so much that it brought his to tears once more. He slammed the book closed and painfully wiped the tears away. He stood up and walked out of the steamy bathroom to his bed where he lied down with his back to the door. He was curled up in a ball with the book between his arms, staring daringly at the blank wall and eventually fell asleep.
 
----
 
Miguel stirred and rolled over, his diary falling to the floor. He sat up and looked around the room. The water had stopped running and the two other beds were messed with the sheets strewn.
 
Miguel bolted out of bed and rushed to put on his shoes. Grabbing the piece of paper that he had gotten last night and rushed out the door, forgetting his serial number.
 
He hadn't the slightest clue as of where to go. He turned down each corridor and went this way and that but to no avail. He didn't even know what time it was or where he was supposed to be even. Right now, he was set on finding the south wing. Upon pondering of where to go next he ran right into a wall.
 
His paper went flying in one direction and he went in the other. He rubbed his head and then noticed that he didn't run into a wall, he ran into a person.
 
`I'm sorry.' Miguel said to the man. Miguel noticed that the man had two swords.
 
`Oh! You must be in the same situation as I am. I can't find the south wing to get my sword.
 
`Here, use this one.' He handed Miguel one.
 
`Thank you so much.'
 
`Don't worry; it's only been a half hour since practice began.' Miguel thanked the God's and followed the man, who seemed to know where he was going. He opened a heavy door which had `training' written on a gold plaque above the doors. When he walked in all the talking stopped and the soldiers straightened up in a straight line. Miguel took this as a bad sign and started to walk in line.
 
The man that brought him there threw him carelessly to the middle of the room.
 
`Most of you know, I am Dilandau Sama. You will always address me as that, but only when you are addressed by me. I will not tolerate cheekiness in this area and I will not tolerate lateness.' He looked venomously at Miguel who looked sheepishly at the floor.
 
`Now, you must come in the proper attire as well. For example take a look at this subject. Messy hair, not tolerable, loose shirt, not tolerable, shoes,' Dilandau looked behind his subject and then back at his soldiers. `Half on. Not. Tolerable. No serial number either? State your number.'
 
Miguel racked his brain but he couldn't remember it. He just wanted to say Miguel. Miguel. Miguel! MIGUEL!
 
`Mi-' he said silently but stopped himself.
 
`Dilandau Sama, he's number 4851.' Said the familiar voice of Gatti, who spoke out of turn. Dilandau glared at him and then turned to Miguel.
 
`Take your place in line, soldier.' Miguel scurried beside a boy with shoulder length black hair and stood erect. Dilandau walked over to Gatti and backhanded him unrepentantly, `What did I just say?' he asked. Gatti's head had snapped to the side and Miguel could see the pained expression on his face.
 
`Not to speak unless ordered to, Dilandau Sama.' He said quietly, looking at him.
 
`Right. Does anyone else have anything to say?' He paced up and down the line just waiting for someone to say something. Dilandau knew the main focus of everyone's eyes was his fingers, which were pulling on his left leather glove.
 
 
-----
 
 
Well, there is the next chapter. Please leave me a review I would be ever so thankful! :) Anyway. I have to go to work in thirty minutes so thanks for reading- leave a review please!
 
Yours truly,
 
Sweet Roses