Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Fan the Flame ❯ I'm OK ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: I'm Ok
 
It hurt me to see the pain
Across my mother's face
Every time my father's fist
Would put her in her place
Hearing all the yelling
I would cry up in my room
Hoping it would be over soon
 
-----
 
`Don't you dare, don't you even dare laugh, boy.' He had to admit it was really hard to contain the laughter that Miguel wanted express but he had to comply, for his own good. A seven-year-old Miguel cleared his throat as his father picked himself up out of the mud hole. The look on his father's face was unmistakable. It was the look that his father got every time that Miguel wouldn't be receiving the worst of the blows.
 
Infuriated, Miguel's father grabbed his son's hair dragged him back up the hillside to his abode.
 
`Open the door.' His father commanded. Miguel was thrown against the wooded door and fumbled for the door handle when his mother opened it. Miguel was angry with himself. He knew he'd be punished for even thinking about laughing but he knew that somehow his mother would now be dragged into the whole situation.
 
`What happened' his mother asked with sadness when she saw that her husband was covered in mud from head to toe.
 
`Nothing happened mother.' Miguel said but his father smacked him upside the head.
 
`Your son is a bloody liar.' Miguel looked to the floor.
 
`There is no need to be upset; it's only a little mud. Here, let me get you a towel.'
 
`I'll do it.' Miguel said, wanting to get as far away as possible but he was brought back roughly but the collar of his shirt.
 
`You will go to your room and stay there.' His father warned him and then threw him against the floor.
 
`But,' he protested but his mother cut him off.
 
`Go.' She said gently but still the hardness in her voice made him want to stay even more. `Go.' She commanded once again.
 
`Another black eye.' He thought to himself. `Why can't this stop?' He stood at the edge of the stairs until he heard his father yelling and walking towards the bathroom directly in front of the staircase. Miguel quietly sank to the floor behind his door.
 
Tick, tock
 
 
 
Tick, tock
 
 
 
Tick, tock
 
 
 
TICK, TOCK
 
 
 
TICK, TOCK
 
 
 
Miguel awoke to the frantic attempts made by the clock on the wall to move past 12:08, it just kept springing back and forth between 8 and 9. He put his head back in his lap. After his lateness that morning, Dilandau isolated him in this room where the clock was not even working.
 
The most he knew was that it had stopped at 12:08, whether it stopped that day or weeks ago, he didn't know. Not that it really mattered anyway. What was he going to do with a few wasted hours, spend it alone on his moldy mattress?
 
The room was damp and mostly dark, with the exception of an almost melted candle. One of his main sources of light was a little hole near the bottom of the wall. Miguel had noticed this when he first awoke, but shrugged it off because it was too small to fit through and if he yelled no one would care.
 
It was then on this train of thought when a heavy door opened and Dilandau stepped through, not looking the slightest bit pleased.
 
Miguel stood up as fast as he could, but his legs were really stiff from sitting. He stumbled and used the wall for support. It took him longer then it should to have to bow to Dilandau and for this Miguel received the nastiest glare from him.
 
`Would you tell me why you're in the army?' He asked scathingly.
 
`It was the wish of my father, sir' Miguel answered in false reply. Although, yes it was the wish of his father for him to join the army but not in the sense as one would first perceive. Miguel's father wanted him to join the militia because he hated the competition for his wife's affection and attention.
 
`Why don't you just go home then?'
 
Miguel's heart caught in his throat. `Sir, please sir, I can't go home.' Miguel soon found a sting in his left cheek.
 
`Do not beg.' Dilandau said strictly.
 
`Yes, sir but, I cannot go home, I would have to live on the streets and I would rather be here then out there alone.' Miguel looked down at his crossed hands, which he seemed to have made a bloody mess out of. He had been picking at his fingers absentmindedly. As humbly as possible he put his hands behind his back.
 
`Your father wont take you back?' Miguel shook his head. `Are you willing to at least try, I hear you have some skill.'
 
`I will try sir, very hard if I am allowed to stay.' Miguel said with his head bowed.
 
`I'm not letting you stay to be nice, realize that, I just rather see a good soldier in the army then the streets.'
 
`Thank you, Dilandau Sama' Miguel bowed his head and then Dilandau left, leaving the door open behind him.
 
Miguel waited before Dilandau was gone completely and then he left. He felt so much appreciation for Dilandau that all he wanted to do was serve him. Dilandau did a great favor for him and he wanted to repay him with his faithfulness.
 
 
`*****`
 
Well, sorry about the wait, I just finished directing a play, (and got an award of excellence yea) and I haven't even touched the computer for weeks (because everyone else was hogging it) so finally since the little bastard is gone I can actually use it woo! Um this chapter was actually a lot longer but since I was going back and forth from work I was using a disk and it got run over and well, half of this chapter got destroyed. Anyway please leave a review
 
Yours truly,
 
Sweet Roses
 
Thanks to those who have reviewed, it means a lot! And thanks for reading. :)