Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Of Two Kingdoms ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]







Of Two Kingdoms
Chapter 2

Mist still hung low in the chilled morning air. The grass had strong aromas during this time of the morning and the air was moist from dew. The sun just barely peaked over the mountains, slowly warming the world as the birds sang to it cheerfully. There was no wind today and that told King Van that it would be nice traveling, despite the business to take place while on their trip. A week would go by before they even reached Palas at the rate they would travel.
Van's attendant buckled down the luggage on the carriage he and his Chief Advisor would ride in. Denevive and two other samurai were to ride their own steeds as escorts. Van stood by the carriage, helping the attendant, much to Jadik's chagrin, and watched as his samurai approached on their horses.
"Good morning." Van greeted casually, his face stoic. The three samurai bowed their heads respectfully.
"Good morning, your highness." spoke Denevive in his tenor voice. Van regarded him for a few moments, almost as if to make sure that it was a good idea to bring the young lad along. Young lad indeed, thought Van, when he is my elder by 5 years. As he studied the youth, he had to admit that there was something about him that was strange. He was . . . handsome, you could say, with his long flowing brown hair down to his midsection and sharp almond shaped violet eyes. Van was sometimes reminded of Allen when he looked at the young man, although Denevive was considerably shorter than the Knight of Heaven. Being about Van's height, maybe taller, along with his excellent sword skill and the man was lethal. Even though Denevive was always a little too quick to pick up a sword, he was a loyal soldier to Fanelia nonetheless.
The other two samurai were older and wiser than Denevive. Tarmuk was dark haired, thin and unshaven. Jermais had lighter hair and more muscle to his frame than either of his companions.
Tarmuk and Jermais saluted their king briskly before taking their places on either side of the carriage as protection. Leading them would be Denevive. Van entered the carriage grimly. He would have rather been on a horse next to his samurai instead of a fancy little box. He took a seat across from Jadik and with a crack of a whip from outside, the carriage began to move.
"Don't look so upset, young Van. Things will turn out for the best eventually. Although I never did trust King Aston to anything." said Jadik.
"Neither did I, Jadik. I know something is up that man's sleeve and I know I'm not going to like it."
"Your Majesty, whatever comes up, we should be ready for it. Asturia has usually been a peaceful kingdom and is our ally. Even King Aston would respect peaceful negotiations. Either way, you are protected. You'll always have my counsel as well.
"Thank you, Jadik." Van tried for a smile but failed, turning his attention to the passing scenery to take his mind off of the long journey ahead.

********************

Some always regarded court life as incredibly stifling. The musty air in the throne room, the heat from all the courtiers that attended these meetings on a daily basis; it seemed to have the potential to drive any normal person insane. Celena didn't know how Allen did it at all. She had tried to associate herself in the court when she first returned from her mysterious disappearance. She felt she had to be part of what her family once was and being the daughter of nobility and the sister of a high ranking knight, the pressure bore down on her. After a week of attending the court, she couldn't stand it anymore. Though she felt she had disappointed her family's name, she was relieved she didn't have to stay one more minute in the stuffy old room with a stuffy old king and stuck up nobles.
Celena supposed she didn't make a good first impression on the court ladies at all when she had tried to fit in. Though she looked nice in her mother's gown, having none of her own at first, it was completely out of style. She had ridiculously short hair, like a boy's, and her manner about her was simply unrefined. She could hear all the other girls her age snickering at her and whispering to each other as she passed. After that day, she ran to her brother and cried about all her flaws and how no one would accept her. Allen was very helpful, comforting her and patiently listening to all she had to say. He always took care of her when he could and she loved him all the more for it. She had since grown her hair out though it would take more time than just two years for it to grow to the considerable length of her brother's hair.
Early that morning, Celena had heard Allen's voice from outside, talking to the attendants that helped prepare his horse for the ride to the palace. It had been muffled and she couldn't make out the words but she had recognized her name. Probably something about keeping me out of trouble, she had thought to herself. She had grinned and quickly put on one of her more simple gowns to follow him to the palace on her own horse without being noticed. She wanted to see him persuade that stuffy king herself.
Now she stood among the many court lords and ladies to witness the day's news and how the king would deal with it. Celena rolled her eyes, remembering again why she hated places like this. She looked towards King Aston, slouching in his throne with a smug look on his face, and narrowed her eyes menacingly. She heard the story about Allen and King Aston and how Allen respected the King only out of necessity. Something that Allen did a while ago got him positioned out in the swamp lands where he met what is now the crew for his ship Crusade. Upon further inquisition, however, he would not elaborate on why he upset the king.
The court quieted down and the king began to speak about the prosperity of their kingdom. Celena didn't pay attention. She stared blanking ahead of her, waiting for something interesting to happen. Something exciting, she thought. Suddenly, the door to the throne room was opened by a palace guard, letting a young boy enter. The boy bowed respectfully to the king and held out a letter to him as he kneeled.
"Forgive this intrusion, my liege." Said the boy, "But this message comes to you from the Merchant Meiden Fassa." King Aston's chief Advisor left the king's side, flowing blue robes about him as he approached the messenger to receive the letter.
"You are dismissed, boy." the Advisor said stiffly as he snatched the letter from the boy's hand. The boy stood, bowed and quickly left the room.
I guess this is as interesting as it's going to get, Celena thought sourly. She watched as the Advisor, a hard and strict looking middle aged man, returned to stand beside the throne.
"Well, what does it say?" Aston demanded impatiently. The advisor whispered to the king's ear when he finished reading the letter. Aston's face looked even more smug than before, an idea coming to him supposedly. Celena felt like scratching his eyes out. Before she had the chance to imagine the old coot scratched to death by her own fingernails, he began to speak again. "Fanelia has decided to grace us with his presence later this week." He continued on and on about his respect for Fanelia but how it is his duty as King to take initiative for his people so that they could prosper. Boy, could this man talk, thought Celena now desperately searching out her brother among the knights that stood on the opposite side of the room.
". . . War is the only way." the words caught her by surprise. Has he gone truly mad? There were murmurs of disapproval in the court. Apparently Allen and I aren't the only ones who disagree.
From the midst of the knights, Allen stepped forward. Celena gazed at him with pride as he knelt before the king and began to speak.
"With all due respect, your majesty, I and many in this court disagree." His head was bowed though he sneaked a glance toward his country's ruler, expecting disapproval. There was none and Allen continued. "You're country has already suffered much damage from the War of Destiny just two years prior. I request from his wise majesty King Aston that he reconsider his motions to declare war on our peaceful ally."
"Allen Schezar, Heavenly Knight of Asturia," his voice was slightly laced with sarcasm as he spoke, "I take your words into consideration. Perhaps you have a point, Sir Allen. Mayhaps it is not in the best interest of the kingdom to declare war while we're still recovering from the last. In that respect, I will rethink my plans."
"Your majesty, perhaps negotiations can take place while King Fanel is visiting our capital."
The king immediately objected. "Last time I checked, Sir Allen Schezar, you were not among my advisories. You are a Knight Caeli and I suggest very strongly that you adhere to that duty. You are nothing but a fighter for your country."
Celena could feel her face warm with anger. Her hands were clenched at her sides and she could not bear to keep quiet any longer. "He is more than that!" She announced, boldly stepping forward and facing the king with determination. More murmurs, louder than before, could be heard among the courtiers.
"Celena!" Allen hissed, looking up at her with mixed emotions. He was glad she stood by his side but at the same time he was angry at her for her temper. "Kneel." he whispered, "Quickly."
The young girl looked around, suddenly realizing what she had just done before quickly obeying her brother's command.
"Who dares to speak beyond permission?" Aston demanded, not recognizing the young pale-haired girl kneeling beside the knight.
"She is my sister," declared Allen, "Lady Celena Schezar. Please forgive her outburst, your majesty."
Celena glanced at her brother before speaking for herself. "King Aston, I must make it clear that my brother is more than what you say he is. He is not only a noble fighter for your realm but also a hero to your country. He has done nothing but serve you loyally and protect you and your people. He deserves recognition . . . Your majesty." She managed to say the last through gritted teeth. The room was silent.
"Perhaps," said King Aston after a moment, "you're right." The king chuckled strangely. "Sir Allen deserves recognition. Therefore I have decided. No negotiations will take place. No war will be declared." There were more murmurs. Celena wanted to scream at them to shut up but the king continued. "Instead there will be a Duel. It will be one of our best fighters against one of Fanelia's best fighters. Allen Schezar, you have proven yourself worthy on the battlefield." Aston grinned. "You will fight. For recognition." he added sarcastically.