Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Of Two Kingdoms ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]







Chapter 3

"It wasn't what I intended!" Celena said to her brother upon arrival to their estate. "Please, brother. Do not be angry with me! I - I - . . ." she stuttered, tears welling up in her eyes. She found she couldn't speak another word, not with the way Allen was glaring at her. Attendants were taking care of their horses while Allen grabbed Celena's arm and led her inside the house.
"Nothing ever turns out the way you intend it to." He said in a neutral tone. "I believe you should work on your temper as well as your swordplay." They reached the parlor when he said that and let go of her arm. She stared at him, wide-eyed.
"How did you know?" she asked him timidly, trembling. "Have you been spying on me?" The truth was that she had been practicing swordsmanship against her brother's wishes. She kept her mouth shut when he would speak about the unspeakable things Millerna does, wearing trousers and the like. If a princess could do it, why can't she? Though she did more than sneak a pair of her brother's pants and shirt. She was unladylike in the respect of practicing swordplay. The way Celena saw it, if it would save her life some day then why not?
"Ah, so it is true!" Allen sounded triumphant. "I was wondering about why my spare sword kept getting nicks in it. I could only think of one reason. Have a seat, Celena." His sister obeyed, sitting on a settee. Allen stood in front of her, studying her. Her feet were pointed inwards towards each other, her head was bowed as if staring intently on her hands folded in her lap. Her whole frame was sagged as if with shame. He smiled gently. She was expecting to be reprimanded. "I love you, Celena."
She looked up at him with sad eyes though there was a hint of surprise in them. "I love you too, brother." She looked downwards again. "So go ahead and say it. I have to be ladylike and not practice swordplay."
"You think you know me so well?" He said, his voice as gentle as his smile upon her. He knelt in front of her and stroked her hair. "I should have known. I should have realized what your interests were instead of forcing my own upon you. Perhaps it is a good thing that you practice your skill at the sword. I just have one question."
"What is it?"
"Who is it that you have been practicing with?"
Celena didn't answer for a moment. "I haven't been practicing with anyone. I just watch you when you spar Gaddes. I don't think I'm very good but I'm good enough!" There was a hint of pride in her voice, almost childish at that. "But I wasn't expecting you to be so understanding of this. I must admit, you don't cease to amaze me."
Allen chuckled softly. "One thing though. If you're going to learn swordsmanship, you will learn properly. I will teach you."
"Really?" she said brightly, her voice rising a couple notches from disbelief and excitement at the same time. She threw her arms around him, "Oh, brother! Thank you so much!"
He accepted her embrace and returned it tenderly. "After all, I can't always take care of you, right? We'll start after lunch to see how much you already know. How does that sound?"
"It sounds absolutely wonderful." She kissed his cheek. Her mind was already some place else, not once thinking about the Duel her brother would have to fight in soon until she was reminded by her train of thought. "Allen. What of the Duel that the king said you would fight?"
Allen pulled back, taking a seat on the arm of the chair Celena sat in. "I'm not sure. King Aston always has dirty tricks up his sleeve. But one thing is for certain. Van would have to accept the Duel before anyone fought anyone."
"You mean, King Van, brother? Why do you speak of him so casually when he is royalty?"
"Ah, you see," He began with a slight smile, "Van is more of a friend to me. To his people he is king, and I have no doubt a strong and wise one as well. You've never met Van, have you, Celena?"
"No, I have not. I have heard a great many things though. I . . . I remember seeing him flying away on a white dragon. That was when you found me on the battlefield two years ago. But I have not seen him since."
"Well, you will meet him soon." Allen reassured her.
Celena looked up at her brother with curious eyes. "Allen, how did Meiden Fassa know King Van was coming?"
"Probably saw them from one of their airships. Or maybe they just finished a trade route to Fanelia and word got around. I'm not sure."
She nodded. "I see. Well, how does lunch sound to you, brother? I'm starving myself."
"Starving?" He chuckled. "Surely you're not that famished since this morning."
"I could debate but I choose not to." She stood and took his hand, pulling him towards her. "Come on. I'm hungry."
He let her take his hand and stood to his full height. "To the kitchen then." He smiled at her and she mirrored it.

************************

Fatigue seemed to take over the traveling party from Fanelia. Even the strong samurai showed signs of it, sagging a bit in their saddles as the sun began to set in the west. Denevive held up his hand to signal a stop when they got to a clearing in the forest. With a glance behind him towards his comrades, he suggested that they camped for the night.
It wasn't before long that the sky grew dark enough to show stars glittering in the distance, both moons glowing brighter than usual during such a warm season. A small fire had been built and was burning strongly as the men sat on their bedrolls to eat the rabbit that Tarmuk proudly brought back from a brief hunt.
"I must thank you for inviting me to join you on your journey, my lord." said Denevive to Van when he had finished his meal. He sipped at a cup of water, lounging on his bedroll set up next to Van's for the night.
"You're welcome, Denevive." Van said, a bit unsure. "But why do you thank me? You are here for duty's sake, are you not?"
Denevive had to smile. "Yes, duty's sake. Also for experience, you see. Though there might not be much fighting or any kind of excitement whatsoever, I believe it is good experience for me to see such diplomatic affairs take place."
"I agree. It is good experience." Van stopped a moment, gathering the right words as he finished his cup of water. "I must admit something though."
"And what is that, milord?" he asked politely.
"You have been . . . a friend to me as well." Van didn't know why he was so hesitant of his confession.
"I have?" Denevive had a lopsided grin on his face, unsure of how to respond.
"Yes, believe it or not. I . . . I think it is because you're closer to my age than the rest of the samurai and even my advisories. You have also helped me in my sword technique a great deal. I thank you for that. Perhaps tomorrow night, we could spar again?"
Denevive smiled kindly toward his king. "As you wish, your majesty."
"You know, you can call me Van. I promise not to have you beheaded for disrespect." He snickered a bit. "You remind me of a friend of mine. Perhaps you've heard of him. Sir Allen Schezar."
Denevive continued to smile as he nodded. "I have, your . . . I mean, Van. Yes, he was trained by Balgus himself. Just as you were. You yourself have mentioned him on occasion in regards to the War of Destiny."
"I probably have. He and I fought side by side." Before we fought each other, Van thought to himself but was reminded that it had all been a trick of the Zone of Absolution. At least, that's how Hitomi tried to explain it afterwards. "You'll most likely get the chance to meet him when we arrive to Palas."
"I will?" Denevive's violet eyes lit up. "It would be such an honor to make his acquaintance, as it was and still is with yourself. I am tempted to ask him some questions, perhaps even show me how to refine my technique to such caliber as his."
Van laughed. "Yes, perhaps he might, Denevive. But for now, we must rest. We still have a long journey ahead of us."