Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Of Two Kingdoms ❯ Chapter 7

[ P - Pre-Teen ]







Of Two Kingdoms
Chapter 7

Humiliated beyond a doubt, Allen Schezar strode through the palace discreetly enough not to be noticed by any servants. After a brief explanation to Princess Millerna, she agreed to help him find suitable attire for the meeting he was already late to. Having been dressed and washed down, especially his hair which was caked with mud, he finally made his way to the King's Study. The guard at the door let him in, giving him a look that meant he might be in for it.
"Sir Allen Schezar, your majesty." Introduced the guard before quickly leaving and closing the door behind the Knight.
Aston glared at Allen dully. "Ah, Allen. You have a knack for being fashionably late.
Allen cleared his throat, his features stoic as he sat down in a vacant chair next to Van. "Forgive me, your majesty. My horse was having . . . trouble."
"Well, see that it doesn't happen again," Aston dismissed rapidly before continuing on with the discussion. Jadik was mostly taking up conversation with the king, discussing terms of agreement and such.
"What have I missed?" whispered Allen to Van.
"He wants Fanelian territory." answered the young king simply.
The knight shot him a glare. "Besides that." he said.
"The territory he wants is Dragon breeding grounds, sacred to my country. Without it, the dragons that protect the land would have no suitable place to breed and thus the population of the creatures would soon die out." Van looked towards him, expecting a word of acknowledgment but found he was listening intently. He continued, "I - can only guess that he wants control of the dragons for himself but for what purpose, I do not know."
Allen considered these words carefully. "I believe he is bloodthirsty and wants another war. He has certainly changed since his illness, as Millerna was telling me earlier."
"You were with Millerna? Is that why you're late?" Van hissed, his eyes showing annoyance.
"No." Allen said grimly, "My horse decided to throw me off his back on the way here. I landed," his eyes narrowed in embarrassment, "in a fresh mud puddle. I certainly could not attend this meeting in such a condition."
"I see. Well, at least your here now. It doesn't seem you have much of a choice about this duel business Aston is discussing with Jadik right now."
"Yes, it was decided thanks to my dear sister." He said sarcastically. "I doubt your people would let you fight though. Aston wanted the best swordsman from both countries to duel."
"Flattery will get you no where, Sir Allen." Van said with a smirk. "Besides, I'm not the one to fight in the duel. Denevive is going in my place. I didn't agree to it. He has his good side but he's entirely too impulsive."
"Sounds like someone I used to know. Well, if it's a duel he wants, he'll get one. No one will be killed. I only assume it's first blood shed. A cut won't hurt me, Van."
Van nodded. "Does Aston know who you're siding with?"
"I believe he's too wrapped up in his own scheme to realize my intentions. Don't worry."
Van sighed and let himself take in the rest of the boring meeting. He could count on Allen. This he was certain of.

********************

How long have I been waiting out here, Celena asked herself. She had wandered to the small garden stream with the ivy covered white bridge mounted over the flowing water. She sat on the bank, near a bed of petunias, staring into the reflecting water as the Mystic Moon hung high in the sky. The light was beautiful to say the least and her heart felt like it was flying through the wisps of clouds in the night sky.
She sighed. "What a glorious night." she whispered, humming to herself a song she had not heard since she was a child. So enraptured was she with the recent events that she did not hear the soft footsteps coming up behind her, muffled by the thick grass.
"I remember that song." said Allen softly.
Celena gasped, spinning quickly to see it was just her brother. She let out a breath of relief. "Allen, you scared me." She smiled, patting the ground beside her. Her brother was hesitant but soon relented and sat down beside her. "Mother used to sing that song before I went to sleep."
"She sang it to me before you were born." Allen pouted uncharacteristically but all in good fun. He smiled at Celena, nudging her a bit with his shoulder. "So what's all this dazed behavior about?"
She smiled and looked down at the deep purple flower she held in her hand. It was the same color as Denevive's eyes. "I've just met a wonderful man."
"Well, you didn't just meet me. I'm your brother. You've known me for a while now, I believe." He chuckled softly when he saw the look of annoyance come from his sister. Finally, it was his turn to have a little fun.
"You know what I mean." She said simply.
"Yes, I know what you mean. Who is he? So I can tell him to keep his filthy hands off of you." Allen smiled when she glared at him again.
"I'll have you know he's a respectable soldier. And," she paused, smiling to herself, "I think he likes me."
Allen wasn't sure about this. A soldier? Not for his sister. Then again, he wouldn't admit that he thinks no man is good enough for Celena. "So all I'll need is my sword and a shovel . . ."
"Stop it, Allen!" Celena protested firmly, "Why can't you be happy that I'm in love?"
"Because I think you're getting ahead of yourself with this matter, Celena." He answered.
Celena felt her cheeks begin to warm in anger, standing quickly and throwing the blossoms that were in her hand to the ground. "What exactly do you mean by that?"
Allen stood as well, towering over her with his greater height. "I mean that you don't know what being in love is and that I think you should calm yourself before making any irrational decisions. Now, it's late and I would like to go home. Come along then."
Celena could not help but gawk at her brother's retort. Her hands firmly placed upon her hips, she glared at him. "Irrational decisions!?" She poked him in the ribs a good few times as she spoke, "And just who do you think you are deciding for me? Hmm?"
"Your brother, last time I checked." Allen tried to capture her hands to prevent the annoying behavior and missed. "And someone with a great deal of experience in the matter."
"Since when have you ever been in love?" She demanded with petulance.
Allen recoiled slightly, and set his hands on his hips. "That's a story for another time," he told her firmly, not wanting to get into such delicate matters. Especially when she was in so stubborn a mood. Though from prior discussions she had already learned the truth about that particular love affair, he did not want to reveal such things out the open and in the palace gardens, no less. "Now come along--we're going home."
"Sir Allen!" called someone from near the palace.
Allen turned back, frowning at the interruption. "Yes?"
Celena turned to see who called and her face softened. "Denevive!" She sighed.
Denevive approached the siblings slowly, glancing towards Celena with bright eyes before turning his gaze toward the famed knight of Asturia. "Sir Allen Schezar." He bowed.
Allen nodded acknowledgment, glancing between the knight and his sister. That bright look in both their eyes..... He frowned. "I'm afraid I don't know your name in which to greet you, sir," Allen said, not bothering to mask the wary tone in his voice.
"I am Denevive of Fanelia, Sir Allen." He looked at Allen, honor shining in his eyes. "I'm so pleased to finally meet another great swordsman on Gaea. There are few of us, you know."
Celena just stared in awe of the man's presence, her eyes blinking slowly with an occasional sigh.
Allen almost took a step back out of shock. "Denevive?" he repeated, and caught his wits a moment later. Of all the men for his sister.... Allen straightened, setting a hand on his sister's shoulder. "I thank you for your kinds words. And I look forward to witnessing Fanelia's finest." He squeezed Celena's shoulder briefly to make sure she heard his words. "When we duel."
"What?" She asked suddenly, snapping her gaze back to her brother.
"Yes, dear Celena. I'm afraid it's true." said Denevive slowly. He looked at Allen and then Celena again before asking the knight. "Uh, pray tell, how do you know this young lady?"
Allen suppressed the urge to laugh at loud. "Oh, I thought she would have introduced herself to you fully," he said lightly. "This charming young lady is Celena Schezar, my sister."
Denevive gulped and looked visibly nervous. "Y-your . . . sister?"
"Yes, that's right." Allen cocked his head to the side curiously. He might have been being cruel, but Celena deserved to be taught a lesson--especially when love was involved, or whatever she thought it was. "I thought she would have told you. We're quite close, after all. Now, is there something else you needed, Sir Denevive? We were just on our way home, you see."
"N-N-No, I - don't need anything . . . I mean, um . . . well," he stammered ungratefully before quickly bowing to hide his humiliation. "May I escort the Lady Schezar to her home?"
Celena was baffled and growing angrier at her brother. Perhaps she had been too caught up in the moment to tell Denevive her last name when she met him. No matter now, what's done is done and all she did was glare at her brother menacingly.
"Your offer is received with great appreciation, but I'm afraid that duty has been reserved for her brother," Allen replied smoothly. He nodded his head again. "It was good to meet you, Sir Denevive. I look toward our match with great anticipation." He turned to leave, tugging gently on Celena's arm. "Come along, Celena."
"But - Denevive . . .," She pouted softly as she was pulled gently by her brother.
Denevive stood, watching Celena and Allen leave. He watched the girl go with longing in his eyes.
"Another time, milady." He said just loud enough for her to hear him.
Allen glanced back, only once--the brief display of warning in his sapphire eyes was more than enough to show his displeasure. He then walked on, guiding his sister with a firm arm.
Celena obediently followed Allen back to where their horses grazed before tearing her arm from his grip and scowling at him. "How dare you! Brother or not, how could you do that?!"
"I was only teaching you a lesson," Allen said stoically, preparing their horses for the ride back to the manor. "So, you claim to love the man, do you? I just proved that you know absolutely nothing of him." He caught her eye seriously. "And he nothing of you. That's not love, Celena. It's simple infatuation."
She rallied her horse quickly, mounting with practiced ease. "You know all about infatuation, don't you, brother?" She asked tartly, "What would you call the relations between yourself and Marlene?"
"That is another matter," he replied quickly, mounting. "And not up for discussion. You know well enough what became of it, don't you?" He realized suddenly that his voice was filled with bitterness, and he shook himself, scowling. "We'll continue this once we're home." He spurred his horse one, towards the exit of the gardens.
Celena quickly followed, determined to get back at him. Her horse whinnied as she was spurred and Mystic soon galloped after the Knight's horse. Her horse being much younger and energetic, it quickly caught up with Allen. "Why don't we finish this now?" She yelled over the hoofbeats of their horses.
Allen snorted, unheard over the pounding hoofbeats. He didn't respond--it wouldn't do either of them good to shout at each other back and forth. Better to make the ride, giving both a chance to calm their thoughts.
Celena grinned, almost in an evil fashion, taking her horse close to his. Quickly, she grabbed the reigns of his horse and pulled back hard as she did the same with her own steed. Both horses neighed in protest to the abrupt stop but they soon slowed their pace to a walk.
Allen cursed, jerking the reins out of her hands. "Celena," he snapped, genuinely angry now. "There will be no discussion if you cannot control yourself. I'll not have you putting these horses, or us, in danger in such a manner."
"Danger? I only slowed them down!" She protested.
"You forget my horse's age; she's not quite so agile." He patted the beast's neck to soothe it's surprise and annoyance. "Now, if you don't prove to me that you're in a proper state of mind to discuss this, I'll be perfectly happy to end it now. Is that clear?"
"No!" She said, "No, it's not clear! Why are you so glad to sway my interests!? Why is it that you don't think ANY man is suitable for your perfect porcelain doll sister?!"
"I never said that," Allen retorted defensively. "But Celena, think of what you've stumbled into: a Fanelian General, against whom your brother is to do battle! You barely know the man and claim to love him. How can I be supportive of that?"
"What does it matter?" She asked in innocence, "You side with Fanelia no matter what. So Denevive will win." She glared at her brother with furrowed brows, "I hope he beats you good, I do!"
Allen scoffed. "Well, fine then. I'll not lend you my shoulder to cry upon when he returns with his king to Fanelia," he said hotly.
"Who said I would not go with him?" She retorted.
Allen jerked his horse to a stop, and snatched her reins from her that he might delay her as well. He met her eyes directly. "Celena. When did you meet Denevive?"
"Just tonight." She said without skipping a beat.
"And what, precisely, do you know of him?" he questioned further.
"That he is a soldier of Fanelia. A royal samurai of the country and that he's the most wonderful man I've met thus far!" She raised her voice in her frustration. Blasted questioning! She felt as if she were under arrest.
Allen laughed without humor. "Is that so? And I suppose you shared all of five words to discover this much."
Celena scowled visibly. "Yes, before you came and probably scared him away, you pompous rear of a donkey!"
"Such language from a lady!" Allen declared, starting his horse once more. He kept her reins held tightly to prevent her from speeding ahead of him. "Surprising that he finds you attractive at all, with such disrespectful manners. He must not know you as well as I do."
"I hope your horse throws you again!" She stuck out her tongue at him and blew raspberries.
"And there, again, another excellent point in my favor." He raised an eyebrow in her direction.
"May your children grow monkey hair and your wife turn into a frog!"
This time Allen couldn't help but laugh out loud. "Perhaps they will," he mocked, "but I'll still be your brother." He sobered abruptly, his smile turning fond. "Celena, I'm not doing this to be cruel to you--and I don't care whether or not you believe me! But it's for your own good that someone at least attempt to teach you common sense."
"Common sense?" She asked innocently, "What's that?"
Allen smiled. "When I've gained a bit of my own, I'll enlighten you. Now." He gathered his breath. "About this Denevive fellow. He may very well be the most wonderful man ever to walk our planet, but still you cannot rush into things like this."
"Yes, - I - I suppose you're right, brother." She said after a moment, relenting. Still, the look on Denevive's face when she left lingered in her mind - his sparkling violet eyes, sharp nose, overall handsome face. She didn't notice herself sighing wistfully.
Allen himself released a quiet sigh, shaking his head slightly. If she fancied herself in love....no words of his would tell her otherwise. "Celena, I understand too well what you're feeling. I would only hope that I could save you a bit of the pain that comes with it...." He cast his gaze forward once more. "I'm only asking that you try to keep your wits about you, all right?"
"All right, Allen. If you wish." She looked at him carefully as they cantered through the forest. "You're not worried about the duel, are you?"
"The duel? No, not really." Allen was, after all, quite confident in his skills, and could force his loss just as easily as his victory. The trick would be to make it look feasible without injuring himself... "Though I've not seen Denevive fight, as long as he is no stronger than his king, I'll fare well enough."