Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Of Two Kingdoms ❯ Chapter 6

[ P - Pre-Teen ]







Of Two Kingdoms
Chapter 6

The room was silent, Denevive's strong voice still reverberating off the stone walls of the chamber. Jadik stood from his chair and reeled on Denevive, "I told you to be quiet, boy! Leave this room immediately."
"Jadik," said Van softly, "That's not necessary." But Jadik insisted and out Denevive went to wait with Princess Eries. He could hear the king chuckling as he left the room saying almost cheerfully, "Don't be so hard on the young lad..." Yeah, he thought, I was only doing what I thought was right. Denevive sighed, passed Eries in the hall and headed outside for some fresh night air. He stood next to the steps leading into the hall, blue moonlight showering the back gardens of the palace. He looked out and around the whimsical place. Everything was darkened by the night but tinged with blue shimmering light from the Mystic Moon hanging above them. There were long and neat lines of rose bushes, small fountains and trees dotted in between the rows. A wall surrounded the area and there was a large wrought iron gate near the very back. From some reason he looked towards it just as it was opened, creaking as the guard on duty pulled it open to let in a small figure pulling a horse behind them.
Denevive found that in the midst of his curiosity, he had moved closer towards the gate and was among the bushes, trees, and flower beds of the garden. The figure, he saw now was more slender than what he had thought, was moving down the narrow cobblestone path through the garden. The horse's hooves clacked loudly on the stone in a melodic rhythm. Denevive couldn't think of anything to do besides hide so he ducked behind some bushes. He felt so silly and he didn't know why he was hiding. Why would he want himself to be seen by this mysterious person? Too late now, he thought. He suddenly felt a childlike excitement from the whole situation, almost a giddy feeling as the person passed by his hiding place. Only a few feet away, Denevive heard the hoof beats stop.
"Who's there?" asked a feminine voice. He was caught and this fact curiously made his heart beat wilder. Hesitantly, he stood from his hiding place and his eyes met the most beautiful young lady Denevive had ever seen. Wide sapphire blue eyes glimmered as they focused on him, a delicate heart-shaped face of fair skin framed with shoulder-length wavy hair of a pale blonde color. Modest pink lips parted in an amused grin when she saw Denevive reveal himself. It took him a moment to realize the idiotic grin he had on his face, stuttering for the right words to break the silence.
"Uh, I beg your forgiveness, my lady," He fumbled, unable to release the gaze of those captivating eyes, "I am Denevive of . . . well, that is . . . just Denevive."
The grin on the young ladies face broke into a wide smile as she tried to contain her laughter. She nodded, her delicate brow knitting in sympathy for his embarrassment. "Denevive, is it? And why, pray tell, were you crawling around in the royal gardens?"
"Rats!" Denevive said before he could think of another excuse.
"Rats?"
"Oh, yes, my lady. Huge, . . . huge, rats." He took in a breath, puffing out his chest to look brave, "Yep, almost got into that palace. Couldn't get past me though. Chased it right into these bushes. Scared it right, I did." By then, the girl was almost rolling on the ground, laughing so hard her belly began to hurt.
"That's the silliest excuse I've heard yet!"
Denevive scratched his head, smiling awkwardly at her amusement. Did he honestly think she would believe him.
"Lady, did you come with a horse? Perhaps I could fetch someone to tend to it."
"No," she said after her laughter dissipated, "Mystic is quite happy right next to the apple tree there." She cocked her head, noticing how he was staring at her. No, not staring. He was gazing at her, almost dreamy-eyed. She smiled delicately. "Would you like to come out from among the bushes, good sir?"
Denevive snapped back into reality for a brief moment, looking about himself. "Yes, I do believe that to be a good idea. Rats can gang up you if you're not careful, after all." He stumbled over and through the brush, catching himself before tripping on roots. "My I have the pleasure of knowing my lady's name?"
"Celena." she said, "I don't believe I've seen you around the palace before. What brings you here?"
Denevive didn't know how much Jadik didn't want said about their stay. He figured just about anything would get the old coot yelling at him so he decided to keep a low profile. "Duty." He answered after a moment.
"Ah, so you're a soldier of Asturia."
"I am a soldier, yes." He took a more relaxed stance now, resting his left hand on the hilt of his sword as he contemplated Celena's unusual beauty.
Celena was still amused by this young soldier. He was only a few inches taller that she, with long dark hair. She took a moment to study his face and couldn't help the fact that she found him extraordinarily handsome. Sharp features softened in all the right places. He had violet eyes. What an unusual color, Celena thought. Long lashes with his almond-shaped eyes, thin lips parted in a half-smile . . . her heart fluttered. Can a heart do that?, She asked herself. It was such a strange feeling for her.
They continued some small talk, walking slowly through the gardens not too far from the palace. She only learned a few things about him. He didn't seem to want to speak very much about his past. Their conversation mostly consisted of swordplay which had surprised Denevive when he discovered her interest in the art. After a few more moments, farewells were exchanged before Denevive returned back inside the palace. Celena was left outside, a lopsided smile on her face as she moseyed back to her steed. Mystic was munching merrily on fallen apples and ripe green grass, not noticing Celena slump against the tree. She sighed, looking up at the stars. "What a beautiful night..."
"There you are!" announced her brother from behind. Celena scrambled onto her feet as he tied his horse to the same tree.
"Allen! I," she made a face at his appearance, "What happened to you?" His clothes, as far as she could tell, were stained and caked with blotches of mud. His hair was wet and dirty, some stringy strands of it clinging to his dirt-smeared face.
Allen snorted in disgust and marched up to his sister, clearly in foul temperament. Thrown from my own horse like a fool, that's what," he retorted, "while chasing a disobedient sibling."
"Humph! Disobedient? I was confident." She grinned and strode up to him with a dreamy look in her eyes, "Besides, I was sure my big strong brother could take care of himself." She giggled and pinched his cheek.
Allen scowled and brushed her hand aside. His eyes were narrowed and cross. "Celena, I did not allow you to come along for this. I haven't the time nor the patience for
it."
After having pinched his cheek, her fingers were soiled in mud which she scowled at and quickly wiped off on his sleeve. She still smiled at him. "Ah, yes. Patience. What a
dreadful thing sometimes. Patience. . . I don't think I have patience either." Certainly no patience to see Denevive again, she thought.
"I'm serious," he said angrily, then paused, as if suddenly realizing how odd she was acting. "Celena, did something...happen? You look flushed."
"Flushed? Me?" She looked herself over, "Where? Where am I flushed? Have I ever been flushed? Is flushed a bad thing? Oh, after tonight . . .," Her speech slowed
with the thought, "No, I wouldn't speculate the flushed is bad." She sighed.
Allen stared at his sister in poorly hidden concern, then shook his head, clearing it from his mind. "I don't have time for this," he told himself deftly, heading for the castle. "I don't have time--I need to at least make myself presentable." He glanced down at his attire in dismay. "Damn that beast! As if I need more of the King's disapproval....."
She watched her brother go, an absent look on her face. She waved lazily towards him, "Oh, yeah. Good luck, brother." She smiled awkwardly, "I'll be . . . around. Hope the King doesn't kick you out of the country. 'Night..."
The Heaven Knight cast a final exasperated look over his shoulder, started to respond, then thought better. Still shaking his head, he disappeared from sight.