Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Return to Fanelia ❯ Thirty-three ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"What do you mean my sister is dead?" Allen asked, trying to get over the initial shock.
"Hitomi and Celena were in the floating fortress when it exploded," Van explained beginning to get annoyed. He was deeply saddened by this, but got tired of explaining it to Allen.
"You mean that Hitomi is dead as well?" Allen was ready to crumble. "Why did the floating fortress explode," Allen inquired.
"I thought… I thought that it would be best if the floating fortress self-destructed. That way we could get rid of the generals… I never meant to kill them. I would have never intended to do that," Van was very near tears, but tried to hold back.
"You killed Celena and Hitomi!? You fiend!" Allen accused.
This hit too close to home for Van, as he was accusing himself of the same thing. "I… I didn't mean to. But the door locked, and I guess they didn't make it out in time," a single silvery tear ran down his face.
"I'm sorry, Van. I didn't mean to lose my temper like that, I'm just too full of grief. You lost a loved one too, I understand," Allen comforted.
Van left the room, to leave Allen to himself. As soon as he left, Allen began to sob.

* * *

Van found his own dark corner to think in. 'I killed her. Hitomi was my one true love, and I killed her. I don't deserve to live. If she isn't alive, then I have no right to be alive either,' he thought. Tears trickled down his face, making his eyes red.
Merle peeked through the door. "Poor Lord Van," she quietly said to herself. "But I mustn't disturb him. He needs to be alone this time." Of course the news about Hitomi upset Merle, but she had to be strong; strong for her precious Lord Van. Merle wandered through the palace to do her own thinking.
She had already seen Allen, and he was an absolute wreck. Soon she came to a door. Voices were coming from inside. 'I wonder who's in there," she thought, "no, it would be rude to disturb them. But then again…no, Hitomi always said that curiosity killed the cat-girl. But Hitomi is dead… I guess one little peek won't hurt. Just as long as I'm quiet.' Silently she opened the door. Inside were Dryden and Millerna, and they were enjoying each other's company. They were sitting next to each other and whispering and laughing. To most other people, this would have been considered cute, but it only made Merle sick. 'Hitomi is dead and they're laughing? Now that's just not right,' she thought. 'Maybe I should tell them. No, no, I don't want to interrupt them. But if I don't tell them, who will? No, I'll just leave them to each other.'
Merle wandered away. 'This palace is so boring. I bet it's the air… yeah, the air here makes people boring,' she thought to herself. 'Hey! What's that?' Merle saw a dark shadow in front of the Palace. 'Am I the only person who ever pays attention to these sorts of things? Everyone else is off crying, and the palace is about to be attacked. Well, I guess it's up to me,' Merle was annoyed that she had to do this, but in a way was proud to be the one to save the palace.
Merle crept up to the doorway. And lunged at the shadow from the darkness. She seemed to have it; she caught the scoundrel in his tracks.