Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Oracle Of The Phoenix ❯ Serpent Dreams ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Seven

Serpent Dreams

Meanwhile, Van and the crew were looking for Hitomi and her protector, Edwina, who foolishly and selfishly, sold Hitomi to Dilandau. Although Edwina didn't even know what he was planning to do with her, she did it anyway.

She was regretting slightly at the back of her mind and wondering if she should go searching for the group of pirates, when she bumped into Van. Both of them fell on their butts and she started getting hysterical, shouting and cussing. She stopped when she realized it was Van; she then stopped, stood up and started straightening her hat.

`Good afternoon Van,' She said. Van looked around just waiting to see where Hitomi was. When he didn't catch sight of her he sighed perceptibly. Edwina, who heard this turned her head and scratched it.

`Good afternoon to ye as well Arrow, but where is Hitomi?'

`Hitomi?' Edwina said. She looked as though she contemplated for a minute before taking out her coin and flipping it. She looked down at the top of her hand, everyone around her were trying to get their noses in as well. She smiled and sweetly said, `I'm sorry captain, but I can't tell ye where she be.'

Van grabbed the front of her jacket and pushed her up against the wall and shouted in her face, `Where is she?' Edwina grabbed at her coin but Van took it and threw it in the streets where some person grabbed it and ran away. Edwina stared at the sight she had just witnessed; someone had just stolen her coin. Not just a coin but her favorite coin, the coin in which she made decisions with, and Van merely just gave it away. She was shocked.

`Where is she?' he repeated himself, this time more angry. Edwina shook her head. `Without me coin…' she trailed off. Van shook her and she looked at him, clearly, she was nothing without her coin. `I gave her to Dilandau… he paid me. Somethin' ye not be doin' for lookin' after the lass.' With another hard shove against the wall Van released her. `Why do ye care anyway? She don' even belong here.'

`I premised her I'd taker `er home.' Van said solemnly.

`Yer a pirate……… promises……… mean nothin'.'

`To me they do.' He paced back and forth; the crewmembers were watching him idly.

`Well, fine that be wonderful Captain,' she prolonged and bowed mockingly. `But I'm not so sure as to where they headed.' She smiled sadistically.

`That be the reason why you're coming with us.' Edwina's smile faded and she crossed her arms.

`No I'm not.' She stated.

`Believe me………you are.' Van whispered in an insensitive tone. Edwina smiled ironically then followed Van to the ship.

*****

Hitomi had been sleeping in her cell beside Galaphile when a light came pouring into her cell. Her cheek still hurt from where Dilandau had kicked it the night before. She opened her eyes and saw Dilandau staring at her.

`Get up.' He ordered. She sat up. Galaphile also awoke from the sun pouring down from the opened door, and Dilandau's orders as well. `Come on an' get up girl.' He shouted and grabbed for her wrist. Hitomi pulled back just at the last minute and scampered to the far corner. Dilandau was almost surprised at this but quickly recovered and went inside and once again grabbed at her wrists, this time succeeding. He pulled her up and she whined in protest and struggled against his grip. This only made him hold tighter and pull harder.

`Let her go!' Galaphile yelled.

`Ye shut yer trap, if ye knew what was good for ya.' He snapped and dragged Hitomi onto the deck where her shoved her down on the deck.

`Yer going to show me where this treasure be alright!'

`I don't know what you're talking about.' Hitomi stood up clutching onto the pendant and looking around and closed her eyes.

`Listen. I don't need yer games lass. Yer a prophet.'

`No I'm not I'm a girl. Just a little girl………' she fell to the deck again and was tempted to sob but held it.

`Ye know where the treasure is and if I have to kill ye and find the damn thing by meself I will. Ye want to live don't ye?'

`Yes.' She said simply and quietly. He grabbed her arm and stood her up. `Can I have some time………alone?' Dilandau obliged by merely walking away leaving her to stare into the vast ocean by herself. She squeezed the pendant tighter and her eyes shut again.

She was standing in space. She clutched her throat, but she was breathing fine. In front of her was a planet spinning gracefully………Neptune. She felt cold all of a sudden and opened her eyes. She gasped and spun around. She was no longer on the ship she was in a different place, a wonderland………snow and ice everywhere. She shivered and her breath cut through the air. She began to walk some and then slipped and suddenly found herself sliding downwards and then she was falling into dark depths and landed on something hard and cold. Not ice but………

Hitomi gasped and opened her eyes again. She was shivering all over and her knuckles were white from gripping the ledge of the ship and she was pale. She didn't bother to turn around to see Dilandau, although he looked at her oddly.

`What happened? Why are you so cold.'

`You're………in an icy place downwards in a cave somewhere. I saw it. It was so cold and damp and………'

`Cold………how can something be cold?'

`I don't know she shouted. I saw cold and I saw Neptune.' Hitomi said, her back still towards Dilandau.

Dilandau walked towards her back and grinned. He put one hand on her shoulder, which made her jump and the other on her other arm. He twisted her around so that she was now in front of him. He pushed her back towards cabin areas. Only for her she was going to her cell. He pushed her down the stairs and she fumbled a bit but landed on her feet where another man was there ready to grip her arm and throw her into her cell. In her cell she leaned up against the wall and uttered under her breath, `please Van, find me.'

*****