Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Oracle Of The Phoenix ❯ Wicked and weird ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8

Wicked and Weird

*****

Hitomi couldn't sleep for very long, not after what happened. Something like that had never happened to her before, everything felt so real. Hitomi sat up and looked around. Something was very different, missing. She turned her head a little to the right and the cell was empty, the door wide opened.

`What happened here?' Hitomi breathed. `And why didn't I notice?'

She twisted herself around until she was in front of the door to her cell. She cautiously reached both her hands up and gripped the bars lightly; she tugged and pulled. Then she started tugging harder and then used her foot for more support underneath her right hand. Pushing and pulling with all her might but it refused to move. She backed away and looked at her hands; they were cold and had a greenish, brassy tinge. She slumped against the back wall and let her head fall onto her shoulder. She kicked her legs and screamed in frustration and then she lay still once again.

She searched the ground and saw a broom and crawled over to the far corner of the cell. She put her arm through and reached for the broom. It was just a little too far but she strained herself even more to grab the end of the handle but she couldn't get a hold of it. Her face and body were pressed up against the cold bars and yet she pushed even more. She felt the tip of the broom and tried to pull it closer; she kept sweeping over the tip.

`Come on……...' she urged to the broom trying to get it just a little closer. When she went to grab at it again she swept her fingers forward and nicked the broom back to the point that she was unable to grab it once again. Hitomi screamed in frustration again and retracted her arm back through the bars and lay down on the floor.

She didn't know how long she had lain there but she ended up falling asleep. She awoke to the sounds of feet pattern on deck up above. She leaned on her elbows and looked up as if trying to see through the floor.

`Hey!' she yelled. It could have been Dilandau or it could have been Van; Hitomi took her chances anyway.

Soon there were footsteps walking towards the stairs. A head popped down and there was face of one of Dilandau's men she presumed. He threw a dagger down the hole and it landed right in front of her cell.

`Pipe down.' He shouted. `They'll need you soon enough.' The man seemed to have shoulder length brown hair, which was pulled back in a tight ponytail; he then turned around and slammed shut the door.

Hitomi sat there for a minute, not breathing and looking at the door. After what seemed like minutes and jumped for the dagger. Hitomi gripped the daggers handle and tugged. The floor squeaked around it and nothing happened. She didn't want to make too much noise and she knew from the first time she tugged it that it might. Hitomi coughed and jiggled the dagger until it was almost loose. When she gave it one final powerful tug her arm went flying up and it one of the horizontal bars and winced in pain. She brought her arm back through and then, on her knees, crawled over to the lock on the cell door.

Hitomi was so proud of herself; she didn't have to be rescued by someone she could do it herself. That was what she thought until the dagger was too big to fit into the lock. Hitomi sighed and leaned back, letting her head lull to the side. She was still holding the dagger when she noticed a nail partially sticking out of a board in the floor.

Hitomi crawled over to the loose nail and started to pry it out using the dagger that was thrown at her. It took her a while of rotating the dagger to all sides of the nail and by the time she had it out her first knuckles on her right had were bloody and sore. She left the dagger on the floor and carried the nail over to the lock. Trying to see she shoved the nail into the lock.

`I've seen this a million times on the movies………why isn't this working?' She thought while swiveling the nail and trying to get the lock to click. She was starting to lose hope when she heard the click and the door started to open and squeak. She stopped it abruptly and then took her arm out. She went over and scooped up the dagger and walked back over to the door. She held the bars very tightly, held her breath and closed her eyes so tightly as if she was willing it to not make a sound. When she had it opened to the point where she could fit through, she took her chance.

Hitomi walked to the door up the stairs and lifted it up just a little bit to peer through. The guy that had told her to be quiet earlier was sitting on a crate staring at something, and he was picking his teeth.

`So you're alone.' Hitomi thought. She quietly opened the rest of the door and then she very quietly and nimbly crawled up and started to sneak up on the man. She was right behind him she stepped on a squeaky board. The pirate turned around and Hitomi brought the hilt of the dagger down and hit him above the temple. The man feel to the ground and a small trickle of blood came.

Hitomi apologized and then she leaned over the edge of the boat to see where they were. She leaned back and felt something cold on the side of her neck. She glanced down and the man was still lying there unconscious.

`Drop the dagger.' He said. She did what she said and the dagger clattered on the floor.

`Turn around.' He ordered and, once again, Hitomi did what he said and her eyes widened.

`Van.' She shouted and through herself in his arms and hugged him. Van stood there in shock for minute and then he shook her off. `How did you find me? I knew you'd find me.' she said happily.

`We had a little help for someone.' He said and Galaphile walked up with Edwina.

`It was her.' Hitomi shouted and pointed at Edwina. `She pawned me off here!' Hitomi lunged herself at Edwina, who drew her sword and pointed it at Hitomi. Van grabbed her and Hitomi was face to face with Edwina's sword.

`I know, she told me. Calm yer self.' Edwina lowered her sword.

Hitomi fumed. `I'll show you calm.' Hitomi screamed and tried to pounce on Edwina again, but this time Van picked her up by the waist and dragged her back farther.

`Stop it all righ'!' Van shouted. `Now your back and as I promised, I'm going to take you home.'

Hitomi walked with Van to the small boat the three of them came on and on her way by Hitomi gave Edwina a death glare; Edwina just grinned.