Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Under The Same Stars ❯ 1.6 Chance Encounters (I) ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Welcome again for the sixth chapter, in which fluff abounds and the author goes crazy enough to actually post! Sorry for the wait, exams and beaches full of seaweed got in the way. Thank you's to everyone who took the time to read and review! This nearly was the longest chapter yet, but I cut it in half and will edit it later if need be. For now, onwards!
 
------------------
 
Part 1 : Innocence
Chapter VI : Chance Encounters (I)
 
The last thing Celena felt like doing was going down from her room the next morning and face all the people who'd witnessed her little flight from the balcony. Most especially, prince Van. She hadn't even talked to her brother yet, so she was completely on her own when she entered the hall where breakfast was being held.
 
She felt more than saw the flurry of eyes quickly shifting towards her direction and instantly knew that, true to their nature, all the aristocrats were aware of the incident and had been commentating it furiously in her absence. How she wished she could be elsewhere, instead of standing at the entrance pretending nothing was wrong. Relieving her to some extent, was the fact that still no fanelians were present. Their delay was more than welcome, and she just hoped it could go on forever.
 
She had yet to make a move towards her seat at the table, when Millerna, undoubtedly realising how stranded she was feeling, rose and joined her by the door. Proving just how far their friendship reached, the Princess said nothing and led her out the same way she'd came.
 
“Thanks”, Celena whispered, truly meaning it.
 
“No problem. I wasn't enjoying today's topic anyway. We can eat in my room, I'm sure you're hungry after last night”, she said supportingly. Celena just nodded and smiled gratefully as she let her friend take her away. Millerna could be different from her in many ways and perhaps even upset her at times, but she did have her moments when the occasion called for them.
 
Once at their destination, the Princess charged her handmaiden of bringing some food and sat with Celena on the bed, telling her of her plans for the day as a way of inviting her to come along with her.
 
“We need to go to Madam Rockbell's to pick up your other gown, but before that I have some errands to run around the Castle. I'm going to talk to the responsible for the stables to tell him about that horse we saw last night, and then I need to see to the lunch room's decoration with Eries... you could definitely give a hand, I know you have good taste! Allen also said something yesterday about needing permission to search the woods for your attackers? I already gave it to him, but we could go see how they're doing...”
 
Maes the cat had made his appearance while Millerna was talking and had settled himself contently in Celena's lap, not particularly concerned about who she was as long as she'd give him all the petting he demanded. She, on the other hand, was only half-listening to what her friend had to say. Her mind was still down at the breakfast room and the rumours that were surely spreading.
 
“Millerna...”, she cut in. “I can't stay here, it will only make things worse if I don't show up down there. They'll start spreading all sorts of things and I can't hide from the Prince during his entire stay anyway...” She could feel the burden of consequence on her shoulders, wishing she could go back in time so that none of it had happened in the first place. It was like she'd cornered herself into an alley and the only way out was narrow, grim and dark.
 
“You are not hiding. You're just letting things cool down a bit. Believe me, a lot of the people down there didn't even notice what happened and now are thoroughly enjoying themselves making up all kinds of theories to make up for that...” A flicker of a grimace crossed her face, dreading what she had to tell her friend next. “You know, like you and the Prince actually knowing each other from before, and things of the sort...”
 
Although she was well aware that that would be the case, Celena couldn't help looking horrified. She could not fathom how she'd get over this, knowing how long the ridiculous speculations could outlast the actual situation.
 
“It's better if you wait till lunch. They'll be more tired of the subject and willing to speak of something else by then. In the meanwhile, you can stick with me, all right Celena?” Millerna quickly injected.
 
“They'll love that, you know?” She darkly replied, thinking of all the Celena-free hours that would give the nobles. By the time she did make an appearance each of them would have selected a favourite among all the theories and she would be ruthlessly probed with innocent conversations to prove them right or wrong. Could it get any worse?
 
Of course it could. What would Van be thinking of this right now? She had probably offended him, when he was being nothing more than courteous to her. Perhaps a bit too much, true, but he hadn't crossed any lines. Not any that she could tell, anyway. “I'll have to speak with the prince soon... to clear everything with him. We can't have him being subjected to this.”
 
“I don't know, Celena... maybe it's better if you let him be. Let things mend by themselves on his side.” The truth was, she didn't think it would be wise for her friend to go too near him for now. She'd seen how perturbed Celena had been left the night before and if by chance anyone heard of a further encounter between the two, on their own, the rumours would be twice as hard to quench.
 
“No, that can't be. We've only met yesterday and already have I got him into a situation like this! I need to apologise in the least. Not to mention explain myself...” Celena knew she was trying to convince Millerna as much as herself. She was sure it was the only thing to do, but it was so hard to get it done. Just from imagining the embarrassment she would feel, she was starting to withdraw already.
 
“You know, he's royalty and a visitor at this kingdom. I doubt he'll hear much of it or be too troubled over it. His servants will probably have to face more than he will”, Millerna reasoned.
 
“Still, it's not right to just hide.” Celena bit her lower lip, fighting to replace her doubts with resolve once and for all. She had to do what was right. “All we did was talk for about a minute and I left him standing there for no apparent reason...” She recalled the gaze that had watched her every move throughout the previous dinner. It had been uncomfortable, but not enough reason to do that sort of thing to a person... was it? “You can probably count the words I told him with the fingers of one hand.”
 
“I wasn't there to see, but he surely must have done something! I've known you for a long time, Celena, and I know you wouldn't react like that without a good reason! But if it's so important to you, we can both go see the Prince after they finish breakfast down there.”
 
“Thank you, Millerna, it does mean a lot to me.” A small knock on the door signalled the handmaiden's timely return. She brought with her two trays full of the same delicious food that could be found on the breakfast room and Celena put an end to this subject as they moved to the table. “I feel guilty about putting him in this awkward situation, more so because this is his first time here. I want to fix things somewhat if I can.”
 
The two ate quickly and in silence, and after much wielding to Maes' insistence that he be given some of the treats on the table as well as some tossing him to the ground on account of all the times he leapt to the table, they were soon ready to start on the Princess' schedule.
 
“So what will it be?”, questioned Celena. “Prince Van or Eries first?”
 
Millerna thought for a second, mentally tracing the course that would take them to either through the Castle. “Actually, I want to drop by the stables before those. We can go to Van after, he'll still be eating by now, and Eries can wait.”
 
Celena nodded and off they were. She was having some difficulties repressing the smile that wanted to take over her face over the mention of that issue.
 
“What are you smiling about?”
 
“Oh nothing...” she replied, dismissing the question lightly. Then she inadvertently let a laugh slip past her tightly shut lips.
 
“What?” Millerna was starting to smile herself, in curious anticipation.
 
“It's just that I never pictured you as one who would handle that sort of things! You, Millerna, the proud owner of Asturia's most enviable wardrobe, going down to the stables to talk with the servants and ascertain responsibilities... all because a horse was running loose last night? It's just not you!” She finished laughing openly.
 
Millerna's smile grew somewhat sombre, and she almost seemed shy when she answered. “You're right, of course. It isn't something that I would normally do before. But now, everyone is expecting so much of me, being the Princess... Besides, that horse kept me up most of the night! The more I thought about it, the more I could swear it was one of my father's. And someone really needs to have a talk with the servants about how they do their job. Have I told you we employed more hands to help around because of the fanelians' visit?”
 
“You probably mentioned it”, Celena said while they turned a corner. The path was not one they did frequently, but it was just as familiar and automatically done as any other due to all the roaming they'd done in their younger years. They were now in the corridor of the servants' quarters and the stable entrance was just at the end of it. All the doors were closed, but the rooms would be predictably empty as everyone would be up and working.
 
They closed the small distance and entered the vast, wood-panelled area before Millerna could continue with her explanation. No sooner had they opened the door, however, that most heads turned their way and a stout man with short grizzly beard ran towards them, shortly followed by a youth who was probably his assistant. Both bowed impossibly low, as the older man took off his hat and inquired in a low raspy voice. “M'lady Princess... to what do we owe your presence...?”
 
Millerna wasted no time with pleasantries. Not that she thought of these people as inferior or anything, it was just that she had other things to do with her time. “I saw one of my father's horses loose last night. I would like you to find the ostler in charge at the time and make sure it does not happen again. This has been happening much too often lately.”
 
“Of course, M'lady Princess, of course”, he assured her, bending his head lower still, if that was possible. He then instantly turned to his assistant, all submissive mannerisms evaporating and his voice growing four times stronger and harsher, as he stared down at the lad. “You heard the Lady. Who was on duty last night?”
 
The boy blanched, his eyes open wide at the same time the older man's were bristling. “I... I- I was, sir...”
 
“And how could you let something like this happen! Where's that horse now!”
 
“I d-didn't know any horse was m-missing, sir... And no one's reported anything either... sir.” The man was getting ready to roar in fury when the youth had added that second sentence, both trying to save what good impression the Princess had of them. Millerna and Celena, for their part, settled with quietly observing the loud exchange.
 
“And how does a horse simply open its compartment in the middle of the night to go out for a stroll? Did you even check if someone had left any of them open!”
 
“Of course, sir. I always double-check before going to... well, I always check”, he countered, averting his embarrassed gaze to the floor.
 
“Well, then! If it wasn't that, someone had to open it! Did you-”
 
“NO, sir! I'd never touch one of the King's horses without permission. Especially during my shift!” The lad immediately interrupted, looking almost horror-struck. His boss, however, was exhaling fury at not being able to give some sort of satisfaction to the waiting Princess.
 
“It had a tack and saddle, so someone had to have taken it outside, I think”, Millerna supplied. The man responsible for the stables gave her a kind face before turning back to his assistant, apparently having reached the limits of his patience. It was clear he didn't particularly care if someone had checked whether the doors were open or not, he was only interested in putting up a good show to not look lazy or incompetent in front of the princess.
 
“Is everyone here? I want them all gathered, especially the new ones, to find out exactly who did what last night!” The boy instantly started nodding and was beginning to turn to leave, when he frowned and informed them that there was one of the new hands he still hadn't seen since the previous day. “Get him here, then!”
 
He scampered towards the servant quarters and as he did, Millerna decided that things were already on track. “I trust you to reach the bottom of this and to assure it doesn't repeat itself. Be especially careful of the Fanelian horses, we can't afford to start losing them.” The old man's temper quieted down instantly and he bowed again while acknowledging. “I'll be on my way, and hope I never have to return here over something one of your charges did wrong.”
 
“Of course not, M'lady Princess. It won't happen again...” was the hushed reply that escorted Millerna and Celena outside the stables the same way they'd came.
 
They crossed paths with his assistant on the corridor, who by now was banging on one of the doors in a way that would have rivalled his liege's springing access of rage. They could hear someone grumbling furiously on the other side of the wall and just made out the sounds of the door opening as they turned the corner.
 
The two friends suddenly looked at each other and shared a wicked smile, having reached the same conclusion: the yelling had only just begun.
 
------------------
 
Celena gulped and turned for what felt like the hundredth time to her friend. Millerna had yet to move a muscle since the first one of them and simply kept on smiling and staring blankly at her.
 
“That's really annoying, you know” she said, looking reproachful. She could just hear her voice over the sound pounding of her heart. “It's like you've turned into a dummy.”
 
“Oh Celena, come on, just knock!” She finally exhaled, pointing at the closed door they had been standing in front of for several minutes now. “If I was able to take care of that matter on the stables, so can you do this now. Besides, unlike those servants, who were horrid and did nothing but yelling, this one is actually cute! What is there to fear!”
 
Celena just rolled her eyes. She had to. Here she was, face to the greatest dilemma that ever existed, and Millerna was talking about who was cute or not. “Someday...” she whispered and, taking in a good gulp of air, knocked on the door.
 
She immediately regretted it, both knocking and breathing in before it, since that had only made it come out louder. But now was too late to go back... unless they ran for it. She turned to Millerna with hopeful eyes, but that vapid smile was back in place. No matter, it was a silly idea anyway.
 
It was one of the fanelian generals that came to answer the door - Asuva? His towering figure blocked the room within from Celena's view, and although she felt the urge to gulp quite loudly and slap herself for being idiotic enough to go on with this, it had nothing to do with the reception. He was serenely looking down at the two.
 
The three stood almost paralysed for a few moments, Celena trying to find her voice and the other two waiting for her to do so. Before that, however, a querying voice came from the inside and someone else stepped on the threshold as the general backed to make room.
 
“Asona. Please leave us.” Van hadn't bothered to look his way, as he was too busy staring at Celena, his face devoid of emotion and standing rigid on the spot. The man disappeared instantly into the recesses of the prince's chambers.
 
“Prince Van, I've come to apologise for my behaviour last night and to offer some explanations.” She cordially said, hoping that the court's frenzy bellow hadn't bothered him too much, as Millerna had predicted.
 
“Yes... let's hear it.” He replied through a thickly guarded expression.
 
“I- I'm not exactly sure myself, you see. You did nothing to provoke such a response from my part, I can only assume it was due to something I have gone through recently and that has left me in a quite fragile disposition...” She was putting everything she had on this; with any luck she could avoid there being any awkwardness between the two on account of this. “I hope I haven't placed you in any uncomfortable situation, especially with all the stories I've heard the court is coming up with.”
 
Van was clearly thinking through what Celena had said, trying to make up his mind on something. At long last, he smiled briefly. “I accept your apologies, but I won't be satisfied with only that as a reason for your actions. Why don't we go for a walk in the gardens so you can tell me more?”
 
Celena would later on curse his lack of timing several times, for, just then, Allen made an appearance, strictly on time to hear what Van had said. He made no effort to hide how happy he was with the apparent splendid way his sister was coming along with the prince, while Celena, on the other hand, had to bite her tongue to keep the grimace off her face. She'd forgotten how Allen knew the fanelians from before, including the royal family. For a second she wondered whether Allen had came up with this elaborate plan to set her up with the prince, but then dismissed it as the ridiculous thought it was.
 
“Celena, Van! And princess Millerna...” he added on a warmer tone to the girl that had yet to say a word or leave her friend's side. “That is a wonderful idea, Van. In fact, why don't we all leave the castle for the afternoon and dine in town?”
 
Celena froze. He was trying to set them up! She pierced Allen with a long, cold stare, trying to pass a very clear message to him with the intensity of her eyes alone: no. When she saw that his smiling face would not falter and that Van had joined his party with some happy nodding, she turned to the only person she had left on her side. Hopefully.
 
“I'd love to, brother, but Millerna and I have already made plans for the rest of the day.” She became secretly thankful when she didn't have to give the princess any blatant winks or nudges to gain her cooperation, since she had caught on with her intentions and gave the men a slightly apologetic smile.
 
“Oh, very well. Van and I will have to go by ourselves.” Celena had thought her circulation had returned to normal after Millerna confirmed her excuse, but it seemed once again her talk had backfired. She had just handed her brother the perfect opportunity to speak in private to Van...
 
“I'd like that.” On a silver platter no less.
 
Down at the stables, the shouting might have gotten the job done and cleared the subject. Up here, though... no yelling would mend this, and Celena would just have to think of a very good way to unearth herself.