Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ Prince Edward? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER FIVE
********
Prince Edward?
*************

Van recuperated in his private quarters and proved to be a cantankerous patient. He wasn't allowed to see Hitomi as it was deemed inappropriate by his generals that a stranger from the Mystic Moon have access to the king's inner most sanctum. Van was ready to kill someone after a week of his isolation from her. Allen tried to visit him and keep him company while the king was laid up, but Allen had troubles of his own these days. He sat quietly and pondered the problem of the prince.
T
raining the young Prince was becoming a full time job. The most bizarre things were happening because of the young prince. Allen was utterly confused by him. Just this morning when Allen was warming up with exercises before Prince Edward's wrestling lesson, he noticed the boy staring at him with an odd expression on his face. Allen felt exposed somehow and caught himself wanting to cover up and put his shirt back on as he realized Prince Edward was breathing in an irregular fashion.
Y
esterday's lesson was just as odd. When he threw Prince Edward to the ground, the boy had tears of pain in his eyes and Allen found himself comforting him! Prince Edward had the darkest purple eyes Allen had ever seen. His eyelashes were impossibly long and it would probably be an entire decade before the boy would need to start shaving by the looks of his baby smooth soft facial skin.
A
soldier threw a sword towards Prince Edward in the practice field and Prince Edward tried to catch it, (like the idiot is supposed to try to catch the damn thing!) squealing like a girl again. When was the boy's voice ever going to change? Allen shook his head as he recalled last week when he undressed to bathe and clean himself up in the men's common after a hard training session. How rosy red the boy's cheeks were as he stared at Allen's naked form. That was when Allen began to feel self-conscious about feeling exposed around him.
A
nd then there was Merle trying to monopolize the boy's time when such pressing matters needed to be addressed. For that matter, since Yukari and Hitomi had arrived they all flocked around the Prince Edward like cackling chickens. At first Allen applauded Hitomi's maternal instinct, but something was off. He was beyond feeling puzzled when he realized that he caught himself appreciating Prince Edward's features during dinner two nights ago. Allen wasn't sure he was worried about the boy or himself.
T
he only way to cure that was to find a beautiful woman and spend a pleasurable evening alone with her. Which was just what he intended to do with that comely wench that turned his bed down at night. He was nibbling her neck as she sat on his lap when he was rudely interrupted by the annoying young prince. The urchin had some lame excuse about having a nightmare, but Allen had the feeling that Prince Edward had been spying on him and wasn't about to let Allen recover some peace of mind. He barked at the boy, but the boy wouldn't back down. Allen had no choice but to dismiss his sweet distraction and deal with the boy.
H
e had to find a way to motivate the boy so that he could learn to be strong as a man should be. He was less than an athlete, but very intelligent when he wanted to be. Prince Edward's laugh sounded just like his sister's laugh. He decided he needed to get good and drunk.
P
rince Edward and Merle were in the garden outside the palace walls sitting on a blanket scheming. Hitomi and Yukari soon joined them with a basket of food. It was a picnic that left the guards watching over them baffled. How a boy could stomach so much female lollygaging was beyond them. Trilladen must be a strange place indeed!
"You've got to insist that we all go! I am starting to see things again, and I know that if anyone of us stays behind, it'll be really bad. We have to convince Allen and Van to take us with them, that it is for our own safety. I don't exactly know what my last vision meant. All I saw was a stream of colors in a doorway and we each appeared before it and screamed for help and no one was there to help us." Hitomi said.
M
erle hugged her legs and twitched her tail as if preoccupied. She started rocking back and forth. Then she stopped and exclaimed; "I know what we can do! They are going to turn a flying fortress into a cargo transport. We will simply stow away. That way we can keep Princess Edwina's secret from the men, and make sure none of us fall into the color stream door."
"Why must you stay disguised anyway, Princess? If you told Allen he would be mad, but at least you could stop training. Doesn't every muscle in your body ache?" Yukari asked.
"No, I can't. I am a female of royal blood of the ancient house of Atlantis. I have been dressing as a boy since I can remember, my parents insisted! Mugwa has been carefully manipulating the people of Trilladen into believing that a human sacrifice is necessary to fulfill our destiny. He has recruited a sect of priests who agree that they are better then all of Gaea and entitled to rule Gaea, because it was Atlantis that created our world. We were once a righteous people, but pride has seeped into our hearts. It is easy to let your judgment be clouded when you live the letter of the law while ignoring the spirit of the law." Princess Edwina said solemnly. "Besides, if they find out I am deceiving them, they may not trust me when I need them to." She added.
A
ll the girls agreed. It was going to be a slippery situation when the journey was underway. Princess Edwina would need all the help she could get on the way back to her island. As Merle and Princess Edwina were planning away, Hitomi and Yukari had a private moment to talk.
"I miss Amano. Ever since we got here he has been training very hard to fight. General Shinyo is impressed with his form and thinks he can become a great warrior. I never get a chance to see him anymore and when I do he's exhausted." Yukari complained.
"I know what you mean. I have wanted to be with Van for over two years, and now that I am back in Gaea, I can't even talk to him. I don't think the new generals like me. At least with Balgus I felt accepted and valued. These new ones treat me like I am an interloper in their private world of royal duties. At other times I feel like they are constantly watching me. In fact, I feel like I'm never alone since I got here. It's as is they don't want me out of their sight because they don't trust me." Hitomi said.
A
t that Princess Edwina piped in, "I'm sure it isn't that. You are in too much danger to be left alone. This is a very vulnerable time for you and me."
"Why?" Asked a curious Hitomi.
"You mean they didn't tell you?"
"Tell me what?"
"We're related! And if Mugwa finds you he could use you as a human sacrifice because you meet all of the requirements." The Princess stated.
"What requirements are those?"
"You are a descendant of the royal house of Atlantis, you're a girl, and a virgin. You are in a lot of danger and can't consider yourself safe until Mugwa is killed. "
A
t that Hitomi got a funny look on her face. Yukari wondered about it and meant to ask her about it later when they were alone.
T
he picnic progressed into the early evening. Princess Edwina wondered at the fact that Allen hadn't hunted her down to start her paces. She didn't know he had a wallop of a hangover and wasn't in the mood to see anybody.
"We better pack up. The wispy moths will be coming out as soon as it gets dark. They are really annoying this time of year." Merle said.
"What exactly are Wispy Moths?" Yukari asked.
M
erle put her hands in front of her and said, "They're about this big, and they suck blood, usually cattle, and this is the time of year when they will attack anything in the name of feeding because it's their mating season. Every night, after they mate, the females lay their eggs and then they all die. You never see any of them around in the morning because the land dragons have eaten them up by then. There's only a few more days of it, and then the dragon mares will all go into heat." Merle explained.
"What's that like?" Yukari asked a little scared. She remembered the dragon Van killed and shuttered.
"Well, it's really pretty loud at night. Don't expect to get a lot of sleep in the following weeks." Merle giggled.
J
ust then alarms sounded, men were shouting orders. General Jarvis came charging up on a galloping stead to the group and ordered them back to the palace. "You all need to get back, and you need to go to the training field. This is no place for a Prince when there is much to learn!"
'Prince Edward' got up to his feet and ran behind the general's stead as the girls were heavily escorted back to the palace.
V
an was limping painfully to the palace entrance shouting orders and interrogating the soldiers. "Have they found her? She needs to be put into Escaflowne's holding cell! Where the devil is she? Who let her leave the palace walls?"
T
he soldiers were skirmishing around the king trying to appease his vile temper when they all saw a shadow cross over the courtyard. Everyone looked to the sky. A griffin! Good God they hadn't been seen in a Millennium! What is a griffin doing flying over head anyway?
"So that's what they look like." Muttered one unfortunate soldier.
V
an jumped him in a fury, knocking the breath out of him. "Follow my orders and find Hitomi or you'll find yourself cleaning the stables for the next three months!" He yelled. The man scrambled to his feet and ran off to do the king's bidding.
J
ust then the girls arrived with about twenty soldiers surrounding them. Van's relief was palpable. Hitomi ignored her orders to stay away from him while he mended and ran into Van's arms. They held each other for a precious moment when the griffin's high-pitched screech brought Van back to the here and now. He took hold a Hitomi's hand and barked at the two others to follow him.
G
eneral Jarvis ordered the citizenry to take cover and his men to kill the griffin. "Aim your arrows at the chest of the creature. Don't let any of its blood drip on you. Legend has it that the blood of a griffin can burn through any metal!"
V
an took the girls to cover in Escaflowne's holding cell. Allen looked green and tired, but was already waiting for them. "Where's the prince?"
"General Shinyo took him somewhere else. We had to stay with the guards. I think you should find him." Hitomi said. Just then she was caught up in a vision as she saw the griffin dive down from the sky and snatch up the royal guest and fly away with her. "Oh no, the Prince is in danger! The griffin is going to get him!"
A
llen immediately responded by bolting out into the sunlight to find Prince Edward. Van saw how worried Allen was. 'At least he truly cares for the boy's well-being' thought he. They heard the griffin screech again and the girls all moved in closer to Van. Amano's voice could be heard shouting frantically in the distance.
"He's calling for me. I'd better let him know where I am! He's got to take cover and he won't until he finds me." Yukari spoke quickly. She tried to leave but Van stopped her.
"You're not going anywhere! From what I hear, Amano can look after himself. " Van stated.
"You aren't my king, and I will go to him!" Yukari protested, but couldn't free herself from Van's strong hold on her. "Let me go! Amano! I'm here!"
"YUKARI! Where?" He was shouting.
"I'm here! In the holding cell!" she kept on yelling until his form darkened the entrance. At that Van released her and she ran to him. They held each other closely.
"You need to stand guard and be alert! Griffins have a terrific sense of smell." Van informed the man.
I
t didn't really matter that much; the screeching of the griffin was more distant. The creature was not hunting down Hitomi. Van heaved a sigh of relief and for the first time in two years was able to drink her in. She had been studying him all the time they stood next to Escaflowne and couldn't believe how tall he'd grown! He was much more muscular and he had stubble on his face already. He had turned into the most handsome man she had ever seen.
F
or Van's part he felt an electric charge buzzing between himself and Hitomi. She was a little taller, but she looked too thin. Her face glowed with happiness as she gazed into his eyes. Before either of them realized it they were locked in a passionate embrace. Merle's eyes were cast down and she had a pained expression on her face, but neither couple noticed. She quietly walked away as she felt like an intruder in lover's lane.
V
an whispered in Hitomi's ear, "I thought I would go mad from needing to hold you. When I couldn't reach you with my mind any longer I feared you had found another. I love you, Hitomi. Don't ever leave me again. I need you to stay here and love me. I don't want to be alone anymore."
H
itomi held him closer and responded in a husky voice. "I love you and I'm not going anywhere ever again. I don't want to be without you either." Tears fell down her cheeks and Van kissed them away tenderly.
"I feel complete with you in my arms, my love. You've set me on fire!" With that his lips took hold of hers and his tongue plundered her mouth. She gasped in a passionate awakening to his kiss and responded to his touch wantonly.
A
mano loudly cleared his throat. They didn't hear him. Finally Yukari had to say, "Excuse me, but you're not alone!" She giggled.
V
an reluctantly ended his first kiss with Hitomi in more than two years. He didn't let go her of though. That was never going to happen again, he determined. Hitomi radiated bliss from every pore of her body. Amano smiled at her and hugged Yukari fiercely.
J
ust then General Jarvis came running in. "The griffin is after the young prince and Allen's been hurt!" Amano and Van leaped into action.

"Put a heavy guard on these two and find Merle! Damn it! Sometimes I could throttle that girl!" Van bellowed as he ran out in to the open.
W
hen they found the griffin and 'Prince Edward', Van and Amano were met with a dramatic scene. Allen was lying on the ground, his face ashen and graying. He was dying. The young 'prince' was trying to fend off the griffin. He was openly crying and it looked as though he was trying to defend the knight instead of the other way around. General Jarvis aimed his cross bow and shot an arrow into the beast's neck just as Edward thrust a deadly blow into the Griffin's chest. The hilt of his sword hissed loose as acid blood quickly eroded the blade into a sulfur smelling goo. With one last lunge the creature tried to grab him as he fell dead.
E
veryone was astounded, but the general quickly regained his ability to talk. "Well done, young prince! We'll make a man of you yet!"
A
llen's life was bleeding away and Van gathered the fallen knight into his arms and headed for the nearest shelter. Hitomi was crying and the young princess looked gravely at Allen. Very quietly she spoke to everyone. "You need to leave us alone. I will need privacy to heal him."
"What can you do? He's dying, young lad." The general said. Edwina looked into Hitomi's eyes as if silently speaking to her.
"We have to leave them alone. I don't know how, but I know Allen will live." Hitomi said to Van. He ordered everyone to leave them alone.
O
nce they were alone Edwina bent down to Allen's prostrate form and put her hands on his chest wound. She closed her eyes and put her mouth on his and breathed a portion of her life force into him. His wound closed up and he breathed more deeply and evenly, as if in a peaceful sleep. Edwina collapsed beside him, utterly exhausted and completely in love with him. 'He can not know how I feel! It would reveal me.' This was her last thought as she snuggled into him and fell blissfully asleep.
***********************