Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ The Tactics of Men ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Ten

The Tactics of Men

***********************

Allen was pushing his young pupil from Trilladen. The grueling pace that Allen set was met by approval from some- such as the generals, and with anger by others- such as Edwina's three best friends and co-conspirators. Not a day went by when Allen would not hunt her down to drag her to the training field for sword fighting, fencing, kick boxing, wrestling (which he immensely enjoyed!), punching, and other forms of martial arts with which to defend herself and others.

Beyond his mission of ending her charade, in the back of his mind was his experience with the griffin. He just wasn't sure how he came out of that one alive- especially since he distinctly remembered the griffin's claws sinking into and ripping his flesh severing a main artery. That mystery rolled around in Allen's brain almost as much as Edwina's calf muscles developing into curvy distractions that kept threatening to make Allen slip up.

Today, however, was much different. Edwina seemed finally to be showing some skill in the complicated yet necessary skill of sword fighting. Allen had stumbled upon her motivating factor. He employed an ancient technique of learning in which the apprentice learns of vital pressure points and nerve centers of the opponent to inflict crucial injuries that inflict the most pain. He wondered at not using this technique of "dance" sooner. Edwina was developing in a few short hours from a clumsy cute teenage imp to a graceful sword fighter ready to practice stealth and cunning.

Allen enjoyed the silhouette dance of death the two of them stepped through together as a team. He called the moves and they "danced" them through. Edwina mimicked Allen's every move position at his side as she learned to "thrust, cut, parry, achieve joint locks and chokes in an antagonistic ritual. Ever mindful of her gender Allen stressed evasive maneuvers such as vaults, throws, holds, and blocks in their "step dance". Before they ended their graceful performance, Allen's naked torso gleamed with perspiration and Edwina was trembling with the effort to remain poised. Every muscle in her arms, shoulders, neck and back was on fire, but she was energized with her first real success in training.

She was in her "high" just when Allen decided to quit. She went from Samurai in training to a bouncy enthusiastic teenager utterly infatuated with her learned teacher. Allen knew better though. Her muscles would need a serious rub down to prevent incapacitating stiffness on the morrow. While she clamored around him gloating about being such a quick study, he was devilishly leading her into the men's common for a hot steam rub down. A wicked glint shaped his beautiful eyes as he nonchalantly lead Edwina into her dilemma of being surrounded by naked men being vigorously messaged by trained masseuse.

She, of course, was too caught up in the euphoria of her success to be aware of her environment until it was too late. Casually Allen ordered her to dress down so her muscles could be properly tended to. Edwina stopped cold in her tracks and turned crimson cheeked as Allen stripped down to the buff smack dab in front of her as if nothing was out of place. Edwina remained still and embarrassed, but couldn't tear her eyes away from Allen's chiseled hard body. While training she was quick breathed from excursion. Now she was literally panting over his form.

Seeming not to notice her discomfiture, Allen made his next sly move. "Well don't just stand there gawking you've finally earned a good rub down, peal out of those wet clothes before you start to smell!" He amiably ordered. Then he advanced on her and began to pull off her waist shirt. She squealed like the girl she was and bolted out the door.

Allen's mirth was beyond mischievous. He simply couldn't understand her need to conceal what a beautiful young woman she was. Before this week was out, he would make absolutely sure that she knew that the jig was up and he was on to her. He liked her better as a girl then a girlish prince! Still, with the upcoming journey ahead, he felt she should have some of the basics means of self-defense at her disposal, since she couldn't be left behind with the other women.

Allen quickly bathed and dressed and hunted her down again. She was in her room, sitting on her bed in deep thought. He was glad to interrupt her moment of peace. "There you are! Why did you run off so abruptly and disobey my orders. You have no idea how stiff and sore you will be in the morning if you don't get messaged. I know you're a shy lad, but shyness shouldn't interfere with common sense. You can't go on with the rest of the day without a rub down!" Allen insisted.

He sat down behind her on her bed and took great liberties with her royal person as he briskly rubbed her shoulders and arms and neck and back. Without realizing it, Edwina began to relax and enjoy his touch. Sensing that she was becoming more at ease he gently nudged her down onto the bed to lay on her stomach so he could have easier access to her backside. He began breathing more rapidly as his hands roughly molded her muscles to relaxation. She was finally at ease and he was completely ill at ease. Her body was firm and her skin glowed on her cheeks.

A wicked thought came to his mind. "Take off your waist shirt so I can rub you down more effectively."

At that her eyes sprang wide open and she raised herself into a stiff sitting position on the bed. "Um, you know I'm getting kind of hungry." She said in the hopes of distracting him.

He let her off the hook. "You are right. You will need nourishment after such a work out. Tonight we will go to the library and study the philosophy of martial art. You will need a rounded perspective into this art form of fighting before I start throwing you to the ground." He stated good-naturedly. He got up and left her to her dismay.

***********************

Merle found it easy to convince Van that she should be the one to extend Fanelia's diplomacy to Zaibach's new ruler. She hadn't seen Folken in such a long time. She could hardly put his face to mind. He had always been distant to her as a child, but still kind. She surmised that his up coming duties as the crown prince and the age difference between them kept them from much exchange when she was a young kit.

Now she was fifteen and blossoming into a beautiful cat woman with fiery red hair that framed her face adorably. She was full lipped and wide eyed, with cat ears that lent themselves to a piqued curiosity that had men of all ages staring at her with wonder and appreciation.

She had always been known for her passionate nature, which now was graced with a new found maturity that tempered her demeanor into appealing feminine softness that everyone was beginning to notice. This afternoon she would "officially" greet Folken in his flying fortress and thank him on behalf of the king of Fanelia for generously lending his resources and precious time to this mission. She went over in her mind all that Van wanted her to convey to Folken.

First, that because of the delicate situation in which they find themselves, Van would want to greet Folken from a distance out of a need to validate the hard feelings his people still harbor for Folken for his role in the Great War and the burning of Fanelia. Second, to lend an air of intimacy to his beloved brother by letting someone who is close to them both as a cherished ward of the Fanel family bring glad tidings of his arrival-namely Merle. As a convoy vessel carried her up to the sky she tried to make mental notes of all the boarding docks on the south side of the flying fortress. Hopefully, this day would bring enough knowledge to her of its schedule of refueling, restocking of food stuffs, and envoys to and from the surface so that she could find a way to stow away herself and Hitomi, Yukari, and Edwina.

As she was given permission to board the fortress she was lead directly to Folken's quarters where he awaited her arrival. The guard announced her and then she gracefully glided in to catch her first glimpse of Folken in years. His back was to her, as if he was brooding. In fact he was, for he still smarted at not being able to see Van. His gaze was steadily on the palace. He sighed resolutely and decided to face the little cat girl from his juvenile days. He turned around to look at her and was met by a vision.

Before him stood not a young impish kitten, but a desirable young cat woman with swaying hips and small waist perfectly framed in a green dress that made her gorgeous eyes light up. Her face was sweet and innocent, but her eyes held intelligence and compassion. His heart began to hammer in his chest and his breath came in and out of his lungs in a shallow exertion.

"Merle! Is that really you? My dear, you're all grown up and so beautiful!" He exclaimed in happy wonder.

"Thank you, Folken. I'm glad to see you too. Van would have come but for the need to console the people. For too many, the events of the Great War are still vivid. He hoped that by sending me, you would know of his need to assure you of his love for you. He is grateful that you have come to help. He just needs to be sensitive to the feelings of his subjects. You know it can be tricky business leading a country to peace. Please accept me in his stead, for I too, have needed to see you safe back to us with love and forgiveness." She ended the speech that Van had drilled into her and smiled her infamous impish smile.

Folken chuckled and replied, "You didn't slip up once! Van must be so proud of you!" With that he crossed the floor to her and embraced her in a gesture of brotherly love. As soon as their bodies melded together that changed. He held her still to him and breathed her in for the first time as a man breathes in a woman's scent, completely involuntary. He had no choice. She was intoxicating! She knew he was trespassing over the boundaries of propriety somehow and felt somewhat bemused by it.

They remained in a close embrace for a long minute while he gathered his wits about him and she hers. His heart was still pounding in his chest, but a sadness slowly began to seep into it. She was so young when she became a witness to the destruction that he indirectly caused her world in the days he called himself Strategos.

How I wish I could change the past! I wouldn't have to feel the heavy weight of my sins. I look into her eyes and I see how grown up she is at such a young age. She has known too much pain, and I caused much of it.

He hugged her more tightly as if trying to protect her from her own memories and his. He closed his eyes and knew in that instant that he loved her. The revelation astonished him.

Merle held onto him for support as a riot of emotions erupted in her chest as her stomach bottomed out and her heart did somersaults. She closed her eyes and pressed into his chest with her cheek and prayed for peace of mind. She didn't really know what was happening.

He released his hold on her slowly and put his hands on her shoulders and looked into her eyes. Softly he said, "I couldn't have asked for a more perfect homecoming."

Merle's face reflected her uncertainty, and she looked up to him for understanding. He smiled at her reassuringly and leaned down to kiss her forehead tenderly. "You have indeed grown up, haven't you, sweet Merle." His lips caressed her forehead as he spoke those words.

She felt the need to retreat so she stepped back to take stock of herself. She had to keep her mind on her mission. Taking a deep breath she began her ploy. "Folken, would you give me a tour of this massive place? I've always been curious about these sorts of vessels. I wonder if it wouldn't be too much trouble if you showed me around." She tried to give him a bland congenial smile, but faltered when she saw his eyes light up.

He put his arm around her shoulders and led her out into the corridor. "It would give me considerable pleasure spending the day with you showing you the fortress. But you must agree to have supper with me. We have much catching up to do." He said. The whole time he was careful not to show his ugly mechanical arm, but kept it concealed in his heavy cloak. Merle agreed to sup with him and began assessing the fortress, taking mental notes of possible hideaways for her plans.