Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ Dining Couples ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ELEVEN

*******************************

Dining Couples

Van and Hitomi dined privately in Van's private rooms in the palace that night, since Merle was still up in the flying fortress and Allen and Princess Edwina were still in the library studying the history of sword fighting in Gaea. Hitomi was more quiet than usual, and Van couldn't seem to draw her out of her shell.

"Hitomi, are you feeling all right? You're very quiet tonight." Van inquired of her.

Hitomi put her fork down and took a deep breath. It was now or never. "I don't want you to leave me behind. I think I could be of use to you on the mission. I have begun to have visions again and I concerned that you seem determined not to take me." She confessed.

Van looked down at his plate as if trying to carefully form the right words in his mind. Instead he decided to use a different approach. "Does this have to do with the other night? You were very upset. I didn't want to press you for an answer, but now I think I should know considering your feelings."

Hitomi bawked. She didn't expect him to put this back in her lap. "It's true that the other night I was frightened by a dream I had, but I think that you shouldn't leave Merle, Yukari and I out of this. I was able to handle myself the last time I was here when conditions were far worse." She reasoned.

"If you will just tell me what your dream is about, I would be in a better position to decide if you, Yukari, and Merle should go or not." Van responded noncommittally.

Hitomi faltered and stumbled over her words, "I can't remember exactly." She bowed her head and studied what was on her plate.

Van gave her a penetrating look and softly said, "I think you're lying. You should trust me more."

Hitomi looked into his eyes and nearly fell into them. "I do."

In exasperation Van slammed his fist into the table and yelled at her. "Then tell me what your dream was about! If you trust me than prove it by confiding in me. I think I have a right to know. You were deeply out of sorts and the more I tried to comfort you and couldn't, the more worried I grew. Why would you want me to worry not knowing what upset you so?" He ran his hand through his hair, shut his eyes, and took inner measure to calm himself.

Hitomi had no answer for him. She was battling with herself, uncertain how to proceed. She kept her head bent and let silent tears cascade down her cheeks. He waited for her to respond, keeping his gaze locked on her, hoping she would relent. She didn't and his ire began to rise with each passing moment of her silence.

Van had enough of this and pushed his chair back violently, got up and pulled hers away from the table to turn her to face him. He knelt down, put his hands on the chair arms, effectively locking her in and glared at her.

"After everything we've been through, you insist on building walls around yourself! Hitomi!" He was ready to shake some sense into her.

"Do you really think it's reasonable for me to agree to see you off, not knowing whether or not I'll see you again? I've had precious little time with you, and whatever time we have here should be together!" She shouted right back at him.

In a fit of temper Van grabbed her by the arms and lifted her off the seat. His grip was too tight and she winced, spilling more tears. Immediately he regretted his temper outburst and hugged her tenderly to him. She wouldn't hug him back. She wouldn't put her arms around him and feel how glorious his hard body felt in her arms. She kept her body rigid, hoping not to give in to the temptation to cave in.

He sensed her reluctance and grew concerned. Did she regret what we shared? It means everything to me, but I can't tell if she has withdrawn from me because of the dream she had or if she wished we hadn't made love! Van felt a terrible ache in his heart, worse than the one he felt the day she returned to the Mystic Moon. He refused to let her go. He continued to hold her gently, caressing her arms and kissing her neck. He refused to think she changed her mind and her heart.

The palms of his hands reached up and cupped her face as he gently caressed her eyes, forehead, cheeks and finally her mouth with his lips. His breath was shallow as if he was nursing a fresh injury from some unknown battle. She capitulated and opened her mouth to his. He moaned in complete relief and yearning to taste her sweetness. His kiss was imploring, gentle and vulnerable. She knew what he was asking of her and the cold hand of fear gripped her heart. She must not get pregnant. She pulled away from him.

"I'm sorry, Van. I just can't. Please understand. I am so afraid of you leaving me behind. You've got to let me come with you. I can help you. I am seeing visions again. I was a help to you in the past. You need to trust me."

When she pulled away from him, he felt hallow inside. Then her words infuriated him. Stiffly he replied, "It seems we still do not have enough trust between us. I wish only to protect you, Hitomi."

"And I wish to protect you." She cried up to him to see her point of view. He got up and left before he said something that he would regret. She remained where she stood. Well I did it. We're not going to sleep together.

******************************************

Folken and Merle dined quietly and peacefully together. He told her of his triumphs and foibles trying to lead the shattered Zaibach Empire back to economic health and establish diplomatic relations with the very countries that were once foes. He laughed with her over the petty games politicians and courtesans engaged in and bathed in her rapt attention. Every moment he spent with her soothed his brooding spirit, releasing a younger Folken who could laugh with himself. The dinner was moving smoothly along these lines until Merle gave in to her curiosity and asked in almost childlike interest.

"Why do you keep your arm hidden beneath your cloak?"

Folken grew quiet and still. His smile had faded a little and he glanced down at his empty plate, then poured himself a tall glass of wine. He decided to tell her the truth as painful as it was for him. Her face grew hot with embarrassment at her own stupidity and she tried to smooth it over.

"It doesn't matter really. I mean, you can just ignore my…"

Folken interrupted her as he brought forth his hideous concoction of an arm and replied. "No, it's okay. I should tell you. I keep it hidden because it is a contraption, a device. It's not a part of me, yet it is, for it is very useful and durable. I can do more with this thing than I ever could with my old arm and hand. It has the benefits of the strength of steel, but it has no feeling. I couldn't use it to caress your skin like I can with this hand."

At that his hand gently stroked her bare arm sending shivers through her. "There is less of me as a man without my real arm, it's a mechanism I utilize. With you I wish only to be a man." He said gently as he withdrew his touch, and his metal appendage retreated beneath the folds of his cloak.

She got up from her seat and walked up to stand behind him. Boldly she unlatched the clasp of his cloak and pulled it away from his shoulders. She lay her hands on them and slowly started a descent. One hand reached down and gently rubbed his real arm and the other hand moved across his chest tantalizing him. He breathed more rapidly and harder. He closed his eyes and leaned back in his seat allowing her free reign to let her hands roam.

"You were never less of a man. You will always be this mountain of a man who is back in my life. Don't ever say that to me again. Don't ever think that of yourself, Folken. You have returned to Fanelia, to us. Your heart is good and always was good." She leaned down and hugged him from behind.

Whatever his intentions were for her, she knew she cared about him fiercely. She just wasn't sure what that would mean to her future or his. With catlike calmness she decided not to concern herself about it. She just remained still, taking in his heat and closing her eyes, loving how good this embrace felt.

"You are so young, Merle. Life can be…complex at times. I think you should leave." Folken said as he pulled his chair back to get up and place some distance between himself and her lush fragrant body.

But being bold was what Merle was all about. She stood her ground and when he turned around expecting her to move back he was confronted by her determination to keep their intimate moment. "I'm not going anywhere. I can't leave until I know I haven't hurt you. I would never want that, Folken." She stepped in and put her arms around his waist and laid her cheek against his chest. "Please forgive me." Then she looked up at him imploringly.

Folken's voice was tight and raspy as his heat was raised from her nearness. "I'll escort you to the conveyor shuttle."

Through out the meal he tried to keep a distant avuncular tone, thinking himself successful. That delusion was shattered as he felt her curves meld with the lines of his body. He felt like a schoolboy in the heat of his first crush. But he wasn't. He had been a warrior for years and now a ruler of a disgraced nation. He gently nudged her away, correctly assuming that she did not understand the effect she was having on him.

Merle felt his retreat and was quite put out about it. She decided to press her point, hoping only to lighten the mood and depart on a happy note. Stubbornly she pressed against him more tightly and said, "I'm not leaving until you at least acknowledge the fact that I care about how you feel! Please don't send me away like this!"

Folken took deep determined breaths to slow his racing heart. She was an innocent, and he wasn't a seducer. "Merle, I know you wouldn't hurt me. I am fine, really. Don't be concerned."

He intended to put his hand on her head to give her a fatherly pat. She unconsciously shifted her neck and turned his touch into something quite different. His fingers wove themselves through her hair feeling its luxuriant softness and rested at the nape of her neck. She purred at the petting touch of it and closed her eyes feeling safe and reassured. She didn't realize what an inebriating effect she was having on him. He had been alone and accustomed to his solitude, purposely not viewing it as intense loneliness.

Now he couldn't deny the flood of emotions and sensations that were running rampant through his body. He bent his head down and caught her mouth in his, plundering it with intense gratification. Merle's world began to spin. She went weak in the knees and leaned into him so as not to collapse from the shocking pleasure of her first kiss. Her breath came rapidly. The feelings that sprang from her body felt like a volcano of intense frightening arousal that she had no way to describe in her young inexperienced mind. This alone raised her alarm and she pulled away from him in fear.

He sensed her panic and cursed himself quietly. "I must be an idiot! I'm sorry, sweet Merle." He held her trembling form in his arms to soothe her. "I shouldn't have done that. You are so beautiful! But you are so young and I had no right to kiss you. Forgive me, it won't happen again. I would never hurt you or make you do anything you aren't ready for." He reassured her as he rocked her in his arms.

Tears spilled down her cheeks and she sniffled. She didn't understand what was happening inside of herself, by she trusted Folken. She let him comfort her and it worked. She was calming down enough to relive every wonderful moment of her first kiss and a wide grin soon plastered itself on her face. She closed her eyes and breathed him in for the first time the way a woman breaths in a man's scent to savor it with relish and desire. The sobering words that he would never do that again to her sunk in and her heart fell through the floor they were standing on. Oh yes you will! I will have more kisses like that from you, many more. I won't stop until I get them all.

********************

Yukari was seated next to Amano who was engaged in a heated discussion with General Pauk about his training. He very much wanted to try a curved sword and practice undercuts, over cuts, diagonal slicing and key points of artery severing. General Pauk wasn't sure the lad was ready for such advanced sword fighting, but he like Amano's enthusiasm.

Meanwhile, Yukari ate glumly, feeling more ignored with every passing day and less important to Amano at the same time. With her heart feeling bruised and her pride battered enough she quickly got up from her seat and left the room. Amano didn't seem to notice.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid." She grumbled to herself. She saw Hitomi walking slowly down the hall looking all down at the mouth herself. She decided to commiserate with her best friend. "Hitomi! Wait up! Where are you going?"

"To our room to get some sleep." Hitomi emphasized.

"You mean you actually went through with it?" Yukari asked. She almost felt scandalized that Hitomi was manipulating the king.


"I have no choice. If we stayed the way we were I would have surely gotten pregnant. I can't have that happen with so much riding on this journey. Van told me yesterday that the renovations to the flying fortress will be done very soon." Hitomi explained.

"So if everything is the way you set out for it, namely not sleeping with Van, why do you look so utterly miserable?" Yukari pointed out with her question.

"Would you rather see me pregnant, alone, scared, no Van, being extremely emotional and hormonal with only you to pester?" Hitomi countered.

"You will have me and Merle and…"

Oh be quiet. That's easy for you to say, you're not faced with the fears I am!" Hitomi complained.

"You are right, as invisible as I am to Amano, I'll never have to worry about getting knocked up." Yukari tried to sound light hearted, but the lilt in her voice clued Hitomi in.

"I'm sorry, Yukari, I am being totally selfish. I am wrapped up in my own problems and haven't paid attention to what is happening in your life. Is everything okay?" Hitomi stopped and turned to her friend.

"Hitomi, I could be buck naked in front of Amano, with dried ketchup and mustard caked in my hair, while I danced a ballet looking like some psycho Harley chick from hell and he wouldn't know I am in the same room as him. It's ironic, isn't it? You are trying to keep Van from paying attention to you so you don't get pregnant, and I'd give my eye teeth for one glance from Amano!" Yukari grumbled as they made their way down the darkly lit corridor to Yukari's room.

They never once noticed that Van was quietly following them and heard every word. He was only trying to catch up to Hitomi to ask where in the devil did she think she was going with Yukari when he learned why she was behaving the way she was. Of course! She was afraid of being left alone to raise a child without him. He could remedy all that. He would make sure she knew that she was going to be looked after no matter what happened to him-not that he didn't plan on growing old with her by his side.

*********************

Allen and Princess Edwina were nibbling on sandwiches and perusing ancient manuals, going over essential points of the male anatomy to know best where to strike for a quick kill, or a painful wound to gain the advantage. She was an avid listener as Allen added his own hints and tips. She was so impressed with his knowledge and expertise that she realized she was gazing at him in a starry eyed manner that could be found questionable. Once again she found herself checking her demeanor, trying to keep her feelings from surfacing.

Allen noticed every move she made and was amused by her attempts to conceal her crush on him. So Allen cracked a joke that set them both into hysterics and he slapped her on the back in a gesture of camaraderie that left her winded and sprawled over the books on the table.

"Really, your highness, you've got to toughen up if you are going to be a warrior!" Allen convivially helped Princess Edwina to her feet by grasping her by the arm and hoisting her up. "With all of the training you've received, your muscles should start to be as hard as mine!" He groped her burgeoning biceps with his hands, feeling for "manly muscles" causing her to feel self-conscious.

"Don't!" She laughingly protested. "Why must you always be touching me?" She asked half jokingly.

"I believe it to be inevitable if I am to properly train you to wrestle an opponent and not fall flat on your butt!" Allen quickly twisted her around, grabbed her arm holding it behind her back.

"Ow, stop! That hurt's!" She yelled.

"No, think of a way out of this strong hold instead! Show me you've caught on to something!" He demanded.

Angry and ready for blood, Edwina countered in her rage, "You mean like this?" She stomped on his toes and as he responded to the pain, she threw him down hard on the floor. "There! How do you like it, you ruffian?" She snapped.

Allen didn't move. His eyes were shut tight and he looked unconscious. Edwina queried. "Allen? Are you quite all right?" Still no movement. Edwina's anxiety turned to fearful concern that turned to white -hot panic. She thought she hurt him seriously. She scrambled to her knees beside him and cried out. "ALLEN!" She crouched down close to his chest to see if he was breathing. Her hands were resting on his chest as her ear was pressed against him to listen.

A thoroughly wicked grin slowly inclined the corners of Allen's mouth. She looked at him in dread fear and was caught off guard. Allen moved like lightening and grabbed her by the shoulders and wrestled her down, effectively pinning her beneath him and kissed her squarely on the mouth. Princess Edwina drew in a sharp breath with shock. Her eyes opened wide as she watched him kiss her with his own eyes closed. Unexpectedly, Allen's tongue licked her lips and Edwina again drew her breath in sharply, thus opening her mouth to do so. Allen took full advantage of it.

His tongue probed inside her mouth gently. He held her face still with his free hand as he caressed her tongue with his. Edwina's whole body turned to hot liquid. She relaxed and closed her eyes and let him kiss her. His kiss deepened, causing her to moan. She slowly began to kiss him back. Trying to move her tongue in response to the movement of his. Intense feelings of love surfaced through her. Her heart swelled with it. She clung to him and kissed him, hungry for more.

He slowly ended their first kiss. Looking deeply into her eyes he finally whispered, "Why have you tried to conceal from me what a beautiful young woman you are?" He didn't wait for a reply. He just started tenderly exploring her mouth with soft kisses that left stupid with desire. She opened her mouth for more of him and he gave her more. He kissed her passionately, his arms slowly caressing her torso into a cradling embrace.

At some point she forgot his question. Her arms went around his neck and her hands grabbed fists full of his flowing blonde hair. She pulled him closer still and kissed him with all of the love she felt in her heart. She was beyond caring about the consequences. At seventeen, she could finally acknowledge that she was indeed a girl to the one person she wanted most to make her feel feminine.

Slowly he raised his head to look down into her eyes. "Why have you kept your true self from me?"

She couldn't talk just yet. She needed to catch her breath. She just looked up at him beseechingly, trying to pull him down for another kiss. He raised himself up bringing her with him, settling her on his lap as he sat cross-legged. His hands roamed her body freely and she let him. He caressed her shoulders first and cradled her head in the crook of his arm as his free hand slowly traveled up her shirt. With each move he made, she was thrown into a world of sensations that made her want more still.

His hand felt the soft skin of her breasts. "It is a wonder that the doctor didn't discover that you are female when I first found you. Why all this?" He whispered in her ear causing her to tremble with desire.

With Allen's hand on her skin, it felt so good, but so foreign to her she couldn't find her voice, only breath quickly. He knew what he was doing to her and had no intention of ceasing. He pulled her shirt over her head and began to explore the soft roundness of her bosom. He did so slowly, gently. Sometimes he looked deeply into her eyes to gage her reaction, other times he kissed her lovingly and felt her with his hands, putting her curves and softness to precious memory.

Before she knew what she was doing she confessed herself completely to him. "I love you." She stopped suddenly realizing her mistake. Wide-eyed and fearful she forced herself to look into his eyes. What she saw was acceptance and something else. Sadness? She wasn't sure. Like the wake up call of a trumpet blaring, he silently gathered her shirt from the floor and helped her put it on. Edwina's heart broke in that instant and tears of anguish stung her eyes but didn't fall. She would save her pride. She wouldn't show her pain. With purpose she slowly got up and smoothed down her waist shirt.

"Who are you really?" He asked.

"I am Princess Edwina. I have concealed my sex for as long as I could remember. If Mugwa knew that I was a girl, he could've sacrificed me to use my blood to awaken the green dragon. I was to do this until either Mugwa was no longer a threat, or I was no longer a virgin, but safely married and no longer a candidate to carry out his scheme." She intoned evenly. Her heart beat heavily and painfully in her chest. She could no longer look him in the eye.

As if it all suddenly made sense to Allen he nodded his head and said, "Ah, I see. And the griffin?"

"One of Mugwa's minions. It was sent to destroy me, I suspect, or bring me back. Instead it got to you." She informed.

"I know I placed myself in front of you and the griffin slashed at me. I almost think I should be dead, I was bleeding out so fast, I couldn't have stopped the blood. No one could have. How did I survive, with no mark to bare?" He mused half to himself.

"That doesn't matter. All that matters is that the griffin is dead and you are alive." With that she got up and left him.

Allen remained where he was. He hadn't intended to carry his scheme this far. He just wanted to end her charade. He only meant to kiss her once and teach her a lesson. Instead he learned the truth of her feelings. It wasn't a crush. She was older than he thought, and she truly loved him. It wasn't an infatuation or something pretended at by a needy young schoolgirl. Somehow, he knew she was responsible for saving his life and he was going to get to the bottom of it.

He quickly got up to hunt her down. It wasn't hard to find her. She was in her room. He heard her muffled sobs and strode purposefully into the room closing the door behind him, not caring that he was once again barging in on her. She looked up and caught her breath. He sat down beside her and gathered her into his arms.

He began stroking her hair, her short beautiful black hair and kissing her again. She was beyond protesting. She wanted him more than she wanted anything in her whole life.

He began to undress her and laid her down on the bed. Quickly slipping out of his own he lied down beside her and embraced her as he kissed her pain and tears away. His mouth began to expertly cover her body with kisses. His tongue tasted the skin of her nipples and she arched up to meet him insisting on more. He eased himself down on top of her and made his intentions know to her. He took her face in his hands and softly spoke to her while gazing into her eyes.

"I am going to take your virginity, my love." He kissed her gently once. "It belongs to me. You love me and I claim you as mine forever! You will no longer have to worry about being sacrificed to a madman's lust for power. I will never let anyone harm you. As a knight of heaven I vow to hold you to me. Wherever I go you will be with me, and I will always be by your side."

Princess Edwina cried tears of joy as she discovered the intimate pleasures they could share.