Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ Bad Tidings ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
************** Chapter 14: Bad tidings **************

Destroyer soared high into the sky in playful circles. His feral mind was stuck on the pictures that Mugwa implanted into it. He flew high above the Vast Waters of Violence. His scaly wings hissed and thopped as they flapped through thermals that hoisted his feline body ever closer to the edge of heaven's gate. As soon as he was high enough to avoid the dangers of the sea he headed west to the shores of Zaibach. He was hungry again.**************

Mantuka was growing concerned with his sweet girl of a patient. He knew she was phasing out and in, regardless of her surroundings. He noticed that she would unconsciously do disturbing things when she was entranced into what must be a terrible personal hell.

The other day he caught her sitting in the library in a trance like state, just staring off into space, yet she was slowly ripping paper out of the open book before her on the table. He noticed further that she was just listening to the sound of the paper as it was slowly, painstakingly pulled from its binder. It was as if the sound of a tare itself motivated her to destroy the rare book. Indeed, he noted that the book was from the famous healer Windrake of Ispania who had specialized in the manipulation of the mind and body, as well as duo personality disorders.

Fearful of startling her, he slowly walked up to Celena speaking in soft hushed tones to soothe her as if she were a spooked mare. As if pulling a lever she snapped out of it and seemed quite surprised to see a mound of torn paper on her lap. She looked up inquisitively at her healer and he knelt down by her side and took the hand. She rose from her seat and allowed him to lead her out of the library. Later, Mantuka returned to the library and collected her mess and began to sort out the pieces of the puzzle. Clearly the books she chose to destroy related to her prognosis, perhaps even hinted at a lasting cure.

Today was different though. Today Celena seemed almost serene. Mantuka and his close friend Mortimer sat on a fallen log at the edge of the forest watching happily as she collected bark from the Willow tree. It was a much needed respite from the worries he harbored for her of late. Mantuka sighed dreamily as he drank in her beautiful form. His gaze did not go unnoticed, however.

"You know, Mantuka, the others are beginning to whisper quietly amongst themselves. They see your close tender caring of Celena as a retreat from better judgement." Mortimer plowed right in.

Good old Mortimer. Never did mince words, did you. "I can't help how people perceive our patient to healer relationship. Celena's case is very unique. Are you sure 'the others' as you so mysteriously put it are not simply jealous that her case was assigned to me? After all, it is a great opportunity to document and learn from her treatment and recovery. It's very prestigious." Mantuka countered just as bluntly.

"Of course they are! I'm jealous myself. The only thing that keeps me from really despising you is that out of all of us, you seem to be the most willing to work the hardest, and it's out of true love for the nut cases we deal with on an everyday basis. Really, sometimes I just can't wait for holiday!" Mortimer peevishly whined.

Mantuka was about to give a witty rebuttal to his old chum when a shadow swept past Mortimer's body. Confused and curious, Mantuka looked up, but the high sun blinded his eyes. This was a merciful grace from the gods. It goes much better for a gentleman not to see moments before his horrible death what is going to happen to him.

Destroyer opened his huge jaws, swooped down and bit off Mantuka's head as if he was a field mouse. As blood spewed and gushed in rhythmically out from his bloody neck, Mortimer fainted dead away, which ironically saved his life. The griffin wasn't really hungry. It was just looking for some sport before going after its real prey.

Celena strolled aimlessly around the great trunk of the Willow tree. Occasionally here and there she would strip a band off and carry on as if her lazy stroll was really the dance of a fairy. Her basket swayed to and fro as both hands clutched it in front of her white summer frock. Her mother's lullaby drifted into and out of her mind as she waited for the voice to come back. Today, she would fight it, she resolved. Today she would make it go away once and for all.

A shadow flew with her on the ground. A great mythical creature from days long gone. She skipped and leaped around the shadow with wings laughing like a child at play. Suddenly her shoulders felt a sharp stinging pain and her thighs as well. She felt fangs clamp down on either side of her neck, not piercing her skin, but badly indenting it. The pain made her cry out. Out of her reverie she screamed for Mantuka, but he did not answer. She smelled blood and rotting flesh on the hot breath of the beast on the back of her neck and fainted.

Dillandau, like a famished vampire smelling his first feast in centuries, woke up. He struggled with the claws on his shoulders and thighs and cursed the stupid garment that offered no protection against the onslaught of sharp teeth and fangs. Glancing down at the ground below he saw his shadowy form being spirited away by a winged creature. A griffin! A griffin had him! Why hadn't the creature just devoured him? Where was he being taken? Dillandau smelled high adventure in the air, relished the pain being given to him so generously by the beautiful mythical beast and chuckled to himself. Time for fun!**************

A carrier transit speeded briskly towards Fanelia's capital. Gaddess waited impatiently for his arrival. Much news to give Allen Schezar, sorry news to grieve Allen's soul, no less. Gaddess had bags and dark circles under his eyes. In all the years of soldiering under Allen, he never wanted to be the bearer of such bad news.

The carrier engines whined and slowed down as it made tactical maneuvers around the flying fortress. Gaddes scowled knowing who helmed the craft. He would not lay eyes upon the face of the turn-coat for any reason for the rest of his life! Gaddes spat in the direction of the fortress and then turned his back on it in utter disgust. Politics!

Coming to a landing in the Palace courtyard, Gaddes was greeted by a friendly Van. He's in high spirits, observed the captain of the guard.

"Gaddes, it is good to see you, old friend. I'm afraid I can't tell you where Allen is. He's been skulking about hounding the young prince, no doubt. You should see the change in your old war boss! He's definitely acquired a strange affinity for the a fore mentioned royal, which of course, is utterly reciprocated!" Van slapped Gaddes on the back and winked at him. "I haven't stopped giving him a hard time since Prince Edward saved Allen's life. He's probably going to beat me senseless for all my teasing!" Van laughed.

"You are certainly in a good mood for a man who just got his kingdom attacked by a griffin a month ago." Gaddes remarked.

"I'm getting married to the most difficult woman who ever walked the face of Gaea! Be afraid for me, and pity me too, if you please!" Van gave him a shit- eating grin.

Gaddes tried to laugh, but his somber mood soaked through the atmosphere surrounding the two friends. Van stopped and looked at Gaddess wondering why he had no sense of humor today.

"I'm sorry, your Highness. I just have terrible tidings to give to Allen's ears alone. I must find him. I am happy for you and your bride to be. If it's who I think it is, I pity her." Gaddes smiled a small grin in an effort to lighten his mood for the jovial king.

It didn't take. Van looked serious immediately as worry darkened his already dark features. "I think you should look in Prince Edward's private quarters for him. I'll have Rainfield take you around to help you in your search." Van gestured for the short fat squire to assist the good captain.

As Gaddes left the courtyard, a grizzly cackling witch of a woman bellowed to Van. "Just what kind of reception is this to give a healer-a much needed healer!? Here now, you snotty-nosed king, take my arm and lead me with some dignity into the palace walls. Fine, they are indeed. Trying to impress the ladies? See any action?" It was Helliese, off the same carrier as Gaddes. She glanced slyly at Van, her heart swelled with affection for him.

Van coughed out a laugh, turning crimson. He loved this old hag to no end, but she always knew far too much. "I have just one maiden in mind, since you must know."

"Great, let's meet her. I warn you though, if I don't like her, I'll turn her into a rabid little ferret." Helliese wobbled widely as she walked. Her white robes dragging in the dirt behind her. Her old familiar medicinal smell wafted to Van's nostrils and he grinned and slowly shook his head reminiscing.

As they slowly made their way into the great hall of the Palace, Helliese put two fingers to her mouth and let out a loud high pitched whistle. The teaming castle walls came to an abrupt halt. Van coughed and seemingly cleared his throat and looked up through heavily hooded eyes as the gentry and servants alike that were perchance within earshot looked up at the odd couple.

Helliese yelled out her announcement to no one in particular. "I'm only gonna be here for a few days! I'm tired and cranky and if you don't really need my services, don't bug me! I didn't sleep a wink all month long listening to the horny howls of dragons in heat. Damned annoying creatures." She wobbled on again. Van was laughing outright in front of her as her feebly tried to escort her to her rooms.

As they made their way to the corridor that led to the private bedchambers, Van caught Hitomi's eyes as she was leaving Yukari's room. "Hitomi, wait, I wish to speak with you!" Van called out.

Hitomi stood still, hands clasped meekly in front of her, her head bent down. She looked ill. Van scowled with concern. "I want you to meet Helliese. She's a healer. Yukari told me you weren't at breakfast this morning because you felt ill. I think, Helliese, you have your first patient." Van turned to Helliese.

Helliese studied Hitomi's face and how she carried herself. "Look at me, child." She barked at her.

Startled, Hitomi quickly looked up and met the old hag's eyes. What Hitomi saw was kindness and humor and concern. What Helliese saw was a tormented child, descendant of Atlantis. Helliese clucked her tongue.

"So when's the wedding?" She demanded of Van.

Instantly annoyed, Van shouted, "I haven't even discussed it with Hitomi yet. Do you think you could ruin any more surprises?"

"Sure I can. She's pregnant and has morning sickness. Obviously you're the father. I'm old, but I remember, and I'm not stupid. Oh, didn't know, did ya? Well you shouldn't have asked. Sorry, girl, but it's obvious you're being daft about the whole thing. I'll find out why later. And you, you leave her alone for the next two weeks!" She waved her finger at Van like he was bratty child getting ready to be spanked.

Van's face went white from the shock, and then purple from rage. "How dare you speak to me like that! I am the king of..."

"I dare, all right. I delivered your sorry butt into this war torn world. Cried hard tears when I couldn't save your mother. Cussed up a storm at your father every chance I could, the man was so stubborn and daft-like you. And now if you want me to save your baby, you'll do just as I say-to the letter! Your majesty. Now scoot! This girl is suffering fierce and I mean to put a stop to it." Helliese jabbed away at Van until he left.

That old witch needs to spend some time in the dungeon under lock and key. As if that would keep her! Van sighed knowing this battle was lost. My Hitomi! With child! My child! Our child! Why didn't she tell me? His heart sank as he realized that Hitomi hadn't trusted him with the news. Walking slowly, head low he entered the great hall and heard the loudest, ear-piercing, earth shattering, wail of anguish and rage he had ever heard.

Immediately responding to the urgency Van took off running to the direction the sound came from. He ran out into the training field and found Allen balled up on the ground. His tears baptized the dirt under his face that looked more grief stricken than Van ever had seen on anyone's face. Beside him, kneeling beside Allen and hugging his shoulders, weeping copiously was Prince Edward.

High anxiety tore through the young king. He ran over to Allen and knelt down on the other side of him. "ALLEN! WHAT IS IT!" Van put his hands on Allen's back. Just then Allen sprang to life throwing his wife and his best friend to the ground. He got up and strode quickly to where the swords lay in a pile in the training field. He lifted one up off the pile and strode out of the field, into the general courtyard and out the palace gates. All the while being heralded by his entourage of worried friends.

"I'M GOING TO KILL HIM! I WON'T REST UNTIL I SEE HIS BLOOD! WHO IS THIS MUGWA THAT USES EVIL BEASTS TO DO HIS DIRTY WORK FOR HIM? CELENA!"

Allen's tears and voice rocked the valley beyond. In the distance a land dragon howled in response to the challenge. He stumbled and fell, nearly impaling himself. He landed hard in the dirt and cried like a baby. Edwina ran up to him and grabbed a hold of him and held him, rocking him and whispering words in his ears. Like the lifeline that she was to him and grabbed her and held her back and wailed into her chest. Her small bosom offering the only soft comfort he could understand.

Van was too worried to be embarrassed to see two males in such an intimate embrace. He would never have guessed that Allen was really holding his bride. He just didn't understand the relationship growing between these two. Right now, he didn't care. Prince Edward seemed to be calming him down.

Behind Van Gaddes walked up and looked completely shocked at the scene. He saw that the lad was wearing the signet ring of the Schezar family and did a double take. What the hell is going on?

"Allen, what happened? How can I help you when I don't know what's going on?" Van asked.

Edwina looked up at Van and Van fell to his knees in shock! "You're a woman!" He accused.

Just then Allen looked at Van and said fiercely, "She's my woman! And she's no longer a virgin, which means Mugwa can't use her for human sacrifice. Just like your Hitomi, Van." And just then his pain seeped through and more tears drenched his face. "But why does he want my sister?" Again he began to sob and rock into Edwina's embrace.

Finally understanding, Van's eyes opened wide. "We must leave immediately. I will talk to Folken, myself. The floating fortress will have to be completed by tomorrow with its disguise. Where's Merle?"

Getting up with new purpose, he began walking quickly back to his beloved's keep, barking orders and feeling very angry himself. As if Celena hasn't through enough because of Dornkirk!**************