Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ Reunited ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*********************

CHAPTER 21

*******************************

REUNITED

********************** *****************

It was a sight to see. No one who witnessed it would dispute that. A tall broad shouldered, godlike man, with a bronzed naked torso muscled to perfection and shiny jet-black wings jutting out from his shoulder blades walked swiftly holding a stunningly beautiful cat girl in his arms. He looked furious, she looked frightened. He wanted to teach her a lesson. She wanted to regain his trust desperately.

Folken held his pretty captive tightly in his arms as his heart thudded painfully from its breaking. He was certain she had played him for a fool. He thought her innocent and pure and she only wanted access to his fortress to stow away with her friends. She really didn't care for him yet he knows he loves her more than he's ever loved before. He wanted to make her pay for toying with his affections. His thoughts turned to those sweet passionate kisses and recalled that she seemed frightened by his advances. He obviously thought she was a consummate actress.

He reached his private quarters and kicked the door open bounding in like a pirate stealing his booty. He had her and he was going to teach her not to play with fire. He plopped her down on her feet, glaring at her. He turned and bolted the door. Then slowly he turned to face her with a dangerous glint in his eyes.

She was shaky but she stood her ground. She knew he was in a rage and couldn't be reasoned with in the present state he was in. She wasn't sure what was going to happen, but still she looked him in the eyes, those beautiful eyes filled with hurt and hate. She would give anything to mend his wound.

They just stood there staring at each other. She had silent tears streaming down her face. He looked murderous at seeing them.

"I love you, Folken." She told him softly. Her heart was in her eyes, but he was blinded by rage.

"Then you are a fool. I'm not lovable just now." He advanced on her and grabbed her shoulders painfully, never letting his eyes off of her. His wings unfurled and extended forward wrapping around her lithe body in a dark embrace.

She winced, but said nothing.

Then he bent his head down so close to hers, lips almost touching lips, she could feel his breath on her face. She could feel the heat from his body for he was clearly upset. He was glaring at her. And then his lips touched hers softly and he closed his eyes and his grip on her loosened. She melted. She loved him so completely. She knew he was angry with her, but this was the sweetest punishment she could ever wish for. She opened her mouth to invite him in and he accepted greedily. His hunger for her went unchecked. His assault on her senses was complete: she would surrender to him, not fearfully, but with trust and love.

She moaned and melded her body to his form needing every possible contact with him. He was as hard as a rock and for the first time in her life, she was actually aware of a man's arousal and it excited her. She went weak in the knees. Sensing her surrender, his victory complete, he released her and stepped out of their embrace and closed his wings.

She almost fell forward, not expecting such abandonment. She cried out and ran up to him with fists balled up she pounded on his chest. Crying and hitting him as hard as she could, not caring for pride, only feeling raw emotion.

"You stubborn, arrogant, mean-hearted, evil..."

He interrupted her with laughter. "How does it feel? Foolish? Is it a terrible ache in your chest, as if you know you will never be the same? Or are you still acting for my benefit?"

Merle had never encountered such cynical questions aimed at her. She stopped and looked up at him wide eyed with wonder, but he saw only acting.

"Tell me this, when you first greeted me as Fanelia's official emissary, did you decide then to use me to get access to the fortress? Wasn't that your plan?" He asked bitterly.

Her heart sank. If she were honest with him, she would destroy any hope for happiness. If she lied to him he wouldn't believe her and it would haunt her. She went for a different approach.

"Just because we stowed away doesn't mean I don't love you. Even Helliese knows we all need to be together in this. All of us, Hitomi, Yukari, Edwina, we all knew we had to go with you to protect you, but you wouldn't listen. I'm sorry you are angry, but given my options I would do the same thing over again. We all need each other too much right now." And she moved toward the door to leave.

"Where do you think you're going? Or don't you want to prove your love for me?" His sarcasm stabbed at her chest.

"I'm not ready for this. That doesn't mean I won't be someday. I'm not going to stay because you'll regret it, and you have enough regrets to live with. I intend on being the joy in your life." She pushed past him and put her hand on the door.

He grabbed her shoulders from behind and spun her around to face him. He planted a hard kiss on her lips and it hurt a little. She moved her arms to hug him as much as his grip on her shoulders would allow and waited for the kiss to end. When it did, she told him again that she loved him and hoped his anger would subside. She looked into his eyes the whole time.

He paused at he stared back into her eyes. He wanted so much to believe, but he couldn't allow himself that luxury. Releasing her he stepped back. He looked defeated.

"You are free to go. Since you are here, you will obey me or be confined." He waved her off with his hand.

She didn't budge. She couldn't stand seeing him this way. Concern and unhappiness radiated from her. "Please..." She didn't know what to plea for.

"What are you waiting for? Just go." His eyes were slanted from the inner turmoil his soul felt.

"I'm afraid." She said all choked up.

"What are you afraid of? You own me, you should be rejoicing at your clever victory."

"I'm afraid I'll lose you when I only just found you. I'm afraid that you are already lost to me, and that you'll never love me or trust me when I only know I must be here to protect you." She cried.

Seeing her there, looking so vulnerable and crying so formed a crack in his armor, but just a crack. His eyes reflected doubt.

She bravely continued. "But even if you don't love me now, because I tricked you, I still will stay. I know in my heart if I didn't, you wouldn't stand a chance. I'm going to be here even if you don't want me."

She tried to calm herself down, wiping her face with her hands. She backed up to the door and was about to leave. She turned around to leave. She even opened the door to leave. She slowly stepped through the door, still leaving. All the time she hoped he would stop her, but he didn't. She shut the door behind her, leaned up against it and cried out unchecked sobs that had been ready to explode from her from the start.

He could hear her. And he couldn't stand it. Tears formed in his eyes. His heart broke from listening to her cries. He rushed to the door and opened it and she fell backward into his arms where he held her close. His strong arms, both the real and the metal one held her gently and securely.

"You hurt me." He said all choked up.

"I'm sorry." She cried. She turned around and held him tightly burying her face in his chest. "I'm sorry."

His hand held the back of her head, his fingers tangled up in her hair. He slowly bent his head down and kissed her softly, sweetly. She was butter again. Ready to surrender. His kiss deepened. His tongue caressed hers with such a show of love that she was panting for him. She was breathing hard and fast and wrapped her arms around him urgently, needing him completely.

Their kiss ignited a flame so hot between them, that they couldn't deny it. He lifted her up and carried her to his bed. He laid her down gently then laid on top of her like a protective blanket. She arched her hips up reflexively. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her passionately. He moved his mouth from place to place on her face and neck to taste her and love her, but always going back to kiss her full on the mouth as if he couldn't get enough of her kisses or her skin.

She pressed her hips into his and he groaned. His wings unfurled and flexed back like a canopy of night. He was trembling in her arms, his desire was so strong for her, but he remembered her words, 'I'm not ready for this.' Even if she wasn't thinking clearly, his sense of honor and responsibility to her kept him at bay. When she began to open her legs to him invitingly he gently lifted himself up and moved to her side to spoon with her. He buried his face in her beautiful red hair, released a long heavy sigh and shuttered.

"I love you, Merle." He whispered in her ear.

*******************************************************

V an landed the jet-streamer with some difficulty being new to the craft. Yet no damage had been done as he was guided to his landing post. When the whoosh of the cockpit shield opened up to release him he jumped out of it quickly enough. Before he could even get his bearings a guard hailed him down with an update on the rescue.

"Your majesty, we are about to retrieve the rest of the survivors. We were told that the Samurai did not survive, but sacrificed themselves to save you and Her Highness. We cannot return to Fanelia until after the mission to provide a proper military burial ceremony. I suggest that they be placed in a chamber of suspension until further notice."

Van only nodded his head. "Where is my brother?"

"Sir?"

"Lord Folken, my brother, where is he."

The guard appeared to be uncomfortable. "Well, sir, he already has retired to his private quarters. If you could assist us in the rescue operation, Gaddes and Allen and the healer still need to be retrieved."

Van figured that Folken wanted to clean up after his nasty experience with the old hag. Grinning to himself he set about to help the others when a familiar sight skipped about in the corner of his eye. There, at the landing dock, on the floating fortress come tow boat, was his wife and queen standing by a support archway that lead to the launching ramp. She was in a simple white gown that gave her an air of being a healer.

She was here! He stopped dead in his tracks as if to regain control of his senses. He closed his eyes and shook his head. She would never disobey me. But he knew he was trying to believe that. Of course she would do something like this. She was always headstrong. Yukari was there also, standing beside her with her hand on Hitomi's shoulder for reassurance.

He strode quickly to her. His face was red with anger and hurt. "What are you doing here? Why have you disobeyed me? Did Folken allow this?" He was talking so fast that she didn't know which question to answer first.

Hitomi's chest rose and fell from heavy breathing. She didn't respond to him, just looked up at him. Bravely she stepped forward to hug him, but he moved back. He was furious with her for placing herself in danger.

Yukari moved away to give them privacy, but Hitomi grabbed her hand and held onto it firmly. She remained by her friend's side, understanding her meaning. She knew Hitomi was stealing herself for this confrontation.

"I thought you understood. I told you I have this feeling that we are all supposed to stick together. You wouldn't listen. As for obeying you like some outdated housewife, no, I didn't agree with your decision to leave without me, and the way you left!" She countered as her own ire rose to meet the occasion.

"It is because of your vision, or nightmare that I didn't want you to come. I don't understand your logic. If you know you will be in danger because Mugwa why would you want to be with us, when we are going to try to raise an army and launch an offense? We are eventually going to have to face off against him! The further away from him you are, the safer you will be!"

"It's not that simple, Van. You're way of fighting won't work against him. He's too powerful! Princess Edwina is the key to victory. Helliese said so. You have to trust her judgment more. We all need to stick together in this."

"And are you supposed to do battle?" He asked sarcastically and strode off to get the others.

He left her standing there. She turned to look at Yukari with an anxious look on her face. How was she going to cool down his temper?

Van's assistance wasn't really needed after all. Moments later Amano and Gaddes were boarding the fortress via a courier transit ship, the same one that the women had stowed away on to get to the floating fortress. Yukari saw them both and a flood of relief washed over her face. Hitomi nudged her to go and she took off.

She ran up to Amano and he was clearly dazed and confused at seeing her. "Yukari?"

Her shoulders rose as she shrugged and tilted her head. He just stared at her dumbly. "We're all here." She replied lamely. Shyly she walked up to him and slowly put her arms around his neck wondering if he would push her away. His eyes went wide with disbelief as he hugged her small waist.

"Wait a minute!" He said as he stepped back. "You shouldn't be here. This is going to be dangerous." He looked at her sternly and shook his head.

"You guys are going to have to get over that chivalrous helpless female superiority complex you got." She said exasperated.

Gaddes walked up to her at that and grabbed her arm. "You don't know anything about what you're talking about. It's not as if you've ever witnessed a battle. You have no conception of what it is to be placed in a situation where you must kill or be killed! We wanted you to stay behind to protect you from that! You shouldn't have come." He ended red faced and furious. He stormed off and she watched his retreating form with wonder.

Amano looked at Yukari and wondered what had happened between her and Gaddes. His chest constricted with jealousy and he didn't know how to handle it. He looked down at the ground and walked away. She had a completely defeated look on her face as she watched him leave too.

"Give them time to cool off, Yukari. Their intentions are good. It's going to be more difficult having to worry about us." Hitomi comforted her.

"I don't think Amano cares enough to worry about me." Yukari said.

******************************************

Mugwa was dressed in red and black robes of the dark arts. He looked terrifying. Destroyer was prancing back and forth behind him, restless for action. They were both in the temple that was completely empty. The whole island was now terrified of him. They had seen too many loved ones disappear into the temple never to return home. Even the priests who supported him were deathly afraid of him and avoided him at all costs. But he was glad of the solace. He could openly perform his dark magic inside the temple itself now, where it would be stronger still.

He lied down on the Altar of the Holy Scrolls. He had a gold and platinum knife in his hands. The blade was only six inches long, but it was deathly sharp. He closed his eyes and talked to his pet.

'Destroyer, come here.' He thought to it.

The wild unnatural beast obeyed his master. His claws tapped on the marble floor as he made his way to Mugwa and lied down underneath him at the altar. Mugwa rose up from his position and straddled the griffin's shoulders, holding onto his scaly wings. The knife rested precariously in his left palm.

The beast walked to the temple entrance and leaped into the air to begin his long journey.

*************************************

Helliese reverently walked next to the fallen Samurai as they were boarded. Her face was solemn and her heart was heavy. Tears were in her eyes as she genuinely grieved for them. Their bodies were shrouded in white silk, but the profuse redness of blood from their broken bodies colored them scarlet. As she made her way out of the docking bay, the six soldiers who carried their bodies on stretchers stopped before entering the main corridor to the bowels of the floating fortress.

Van, Amano, and Gaddes were there with grim looking faces. Van's was more strained. He looked at the six soldiers expectantly. The soldier at the front yelled in a military shouting manner.

"Sire, these men are fallen!" He began the traditional ritual of a military show of grief.

"Who are these fallen men?" Van yelled back.

"These are heroes!" They shouted in unison.

Van yelled back. "A hero gives his life for others!"

Again in unison the six soldiers of Zaibach replied. "There is no gift more precious!"

"Their gift will always be remembered in our hearts." Van choked out the last words of the ritual.

Amano and Gaddes never once looked up, but kept their heads bowed in grief and respect. Yukari and Hitomi looked on in wonder at this. Every military apparently has its own ways of dealing with the brutality of a soldier's death. Van, Amano, and Gaddes stepped aside as the soldiers took the generals to a suspension chamber. Helliese walked beside them with tears cascading down profusely. She would see that their bodies were placed in suspense chambers carefully, thinking only of their families.

Allen was sleeping still as he was placed carefully on a stretcher and taken back to the fortress. He wouldn't wake up for at least a day, but at least his sleep was painless. He was carefully put in a private quarters befitting his station and left there to rest and rejuvenate.

*********************

Mugwa loved the thrill of flight. His heart soared with joy as his face was bathed in clouds. He closed his eyes and let his stomach leap and his heart pound at the excitement of it all. He was leaving that dreadful Island. His prey was close at hand and Asturia needed new guidance from him. He grinned at himself and his own cleverness.

Destroyer passed the violent storms that cloaked the island. He flew over the turbulence with ease and finally they saw the calm blue ocean that led to Asturia to the North, and Zaibach to the south. Asturia had a new young ruler who had already proven easily manipulated with telepathy. Just last night he convinced Chid in a dream that his country was being invaded from ships coming from the mountain range and that any and all aircraft approaching Palas were to be attacked. The young king woke up in a paranoid sweat and placed his protective orders.

Mugwa urged his griffin north and flew to the blue open shores of Palas to claim his new throne. He landed with ease on the beach causing quite a stir. He climbed off of the beast and walked up to a young citizen. He looked back at Destroyer and ordered the beast to get Dilandau, but the griffin was hungry. Mugwa looked at the hapless youth gawking at him and the griffin attacked his first victim.

Amidst screams and cries Mugwa strolled away to find what he needed. Spiders will do. Yes, that's it, small ones, too small to take notice of. He walked through the streets and found the city library. Like a demented old fool he crouched down on his hands and knee and pressed his forehead to the ground.

The ground around him began to shift and move. The marble floors of the library looked like moving grains of sands as thousands of tiny small spiders answered his summons. The ground was covered with them. Small harmless spiders crawled and crept quickly to their new master.

Mugwa sat up and looked at his new army. Mugwa's eyes glowed red and his skin turned to a charred black color as if he had been dead for thousands of years. He looked like a mummy. His robes fell on him as he was now skin and bones. His shoulders and collarbones were thin and pointy. He smiled serenely at his minions and gave his first order.

They took off in all directions except one. One special one remained still and as the others left to find a host the special one crawled up Mugwa's body and rested on Mugwa right wrist. Mugwa took the small knife in his left hand and slashed his wrist open. A tiny amount of diseased blood oozed out of it and the spider drank in the will of Mugwa. The spider grew and turned red and black striped in color. It only had two eyes instead of eight, and they looked yellow and reptilian. The spider continued to drink in Mugwa's blood until sated. It was now twice its size, but still no larger a grain of rice.

There the special spider remained while Mugwa stared at it. Then, as if on cue, it jumped off of Mugwa and started its journey to the castle. It moved quickly through the streets unnoticed. It crept through cracks in the walkway and stayed close to shadows. Seagulls never spied it and it moved swiftly through Palace. It climbed up a wall and over it. On the other side was a young boy. A royal boy surrounded by helpers and courtesans taking notes and fussing over him.

The black and red striped spider waited. It stayed close to the young king all day. Then came the night. All slept except Mugwa and the spider. The spider climbed up the sheets to the young king's bed. It crawled quickly up to the young face of the king. It stopped just underneath the boy's left nostril. There it stayed for a moment until it crawled into the boy's nostril up into his sinus cavity. Like a demonic tick it bit into the tender tissue of Chid's sinus cavity and began to suck and also to spread the diseased blood of Mugwa.

As the boy slept his dreams turned to Allen. Allen was chasing after him with a knife. His mother, Marlene screamed for him to run. "Mother!" Chid cried out and then it was done. Allen had stabbed Marlene to death. Her blood ran like a river into Allen's mouth and the young king screamed waking the attendants in the castle.

"Your majesty! Are you quite all right?" His familiar personal valet rushed in wearing only a nightshirt.

"No, I have a headache. I had a nightmare. It was about Allen Schezar. I think he was the reason my mother died." The young king confessed his hell.

The next morning he woke up again out of sorts. Just a young king to rule all of Asturia, just a boy with a mission, to kill Allen Schezar. He had breakfast early and walked out into the garden to think. There he saw a dark shadowy figure. It was Mugwa, come home at last to help him rule. This was the good wizard that appeared in his dream last night. He promised to help him. But his head was pounding.

Mugwa walked over to the young sire and bowed low and deeply to him. They talked for over on hour making plans. Such wonderful things were going to happen to Gaea and the Mystic Moon. Everyone would be so happy. No one would ever worry again about going hungry or doing the wrong thing. Mugwa would control everything in harmony. Chid hugged his newfound friend and ran off to do his bidding.