Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ When Escaflowne Rescued Trilladen ❯ The Worth of One Soul ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

***************

Chapter 22

********************

The Worth of One Soul

Cerise waited patiently for the elder members of the coven to catch up with the younger witches and healers. They were moving slowly though everyone was anxious to be away from Palace. Women and men of various ages hiked laboriously up the mountain range, trying to flee from the plague that besieged Palace. It was a mysterious scourge that had taken hold of the fair city and the sensitive nature of the witches knew something was terribly wrong with its citizenry. Cerise led the group in a frightened and determined manner. They must be safe. They must get away from Palace and whatever has infected it.

The witches themselves were of a separate order from the healers, but had taken up residents along side the healers at the urgent prompting of Helliese some years ago forming the coven alliance. She saw the tide of public opinion change toward the peaceful sect years ago, when Cerise's mother was still alive. When her mother passed on to the next existence, she inherited the responsibilities of leading the sect into a violent future filled with the horrors of the Great War. She cut her teeth as the new reverend mother of the Order of the Sage when the Zaibach Empire was trying to gain dominance over all of Gaea.

The sect has long been associated with the spirit world-not a popular practice among the superstitious. Cerise grew up under the auspices of both a famous and well-respected healer and a feared and reviled necromancer. Cerise had become acting Mother Superior of the healers until Helliese returned to them. But in this current crisis, she was determined to find Helliese.

A scourge of immense proportions and unknown consequences had frightened the sensitive sect away, dragging with it the healers who left in protest. They felt this move was an act against their vows of healing. They wanted to stay behind to find a cure for the people of Palace. Cerise was more pragmatic. She knew retreat was the only solution until more concrete knowledge was gained about what sort disease or spell they were trying to eradicate.

She was the first to reach the mountain's peak. She stopped and surveyed the terrain below. The wind swept up and rustled her long flowing locks of brownish red. The sun's light highlighted the lush tendrils that framed her face. Her eyes were milk chocolate brown and had gold flecks in them close to the pupils and were outlined jet-black before meeting the white iris. She was of average height, but that was all that was average about her. Her features were refined: aquiline nose that was small and straight, full dark red lips, high cheekbones. The most striking thing about Cerise was the humor and intelligence that shown through in her demeanor.

The healers wore white flowing robes, their trademark for eons. The Order of the Sage wore robes too, but the material remained unprocessed. No colors or dyes were ever worn by a Sage witch. The natural tones of cottons and wool, wood, and other natural fibers were the trademark of the sect.

Cerise wore a round carved wooden medallion of Mahogany. The surface carving depicted a hill with the sun and its bright rays rising up behind it signifying the two states of existence. The first existence is the body and life bound to the earth connected by its very elements. The second existence is the spirit freed from earthy bonds to soar through the heavens. Both states of existence are celebrated in the Order of the Sage, believing both are interdependent to each other, though performing different tasks serving the one purpose in the conscience of life.

Cerise sensed an anomaly in the air above her yet saw nothing and heard nothing. She closed her eyes to allow her mind to picture the anomaly freely, as Helliese had taught her. She almost fell to the ground when she realized a floating fortress was hovering just above her. It was a Zaibach Floating Fortress!

She turned on her heals and ran down the mountain yelling. "Take cover! Hide!" The others looked at her questioningly but did as she bade. Uma, a younger healer ran up to her. Cerise grabbed her by the shoulders and they both ducked under a shrubbery bush. "The Fortress is under a cloaking spell. That's why we can't see it!"

Cerise needed to think! Why would a Floating Fortress have a cloaking spell on it? She looked up and closed her eyes. There are only a few good witches who knew how to do that. Why a Zaibach aircraft? Who would do that for a Zaibach Floating Fortress? Cerise did not trust the situation. They would wait until it was gone.

**********************

Allen slept through a whole day and night from the healing transference. He was in a deep peaceful sleep at first, but then an unnatural dream, so vivid and unsettling invaded his mind that he tossed and turned through out the night from it.

Allen was walking through a cool mist as he strolled by the ocean shore. His heart was troubled. He loved Marlene and yet he loved the Princess Edwina. He stopped and gazed up at the Mystic Moon. The wind suddenly picked up and hummed around his ears. "Allen" It whispered. "Where are you? I need you! Help me!" The wind whispered urgently around his ears. He thought he was imagining it.

Then a beautiful specter floated so close to him he could have reached out to touch it. It was Marlene! The wind repeated its message louder! It alarmed Allen. His arms were out in front of him and he stepped forward to embrace the ghost of his beloved. "Marlene! I'm here!" His arms went through thin air. Hot tears of fresh grief sprang to his eyes and he cried out angrily.

Marlene began to weep. The wind howled eerily. "Allen! Where are you? Your heart is far from me and I cannot find you! I need you! Please Allen! Don't you love me anymore?" The specter disappeared and then reappeared further away from Allen who was somehow bolted to the ground. She wailed and it terrified him.

"Marlene! I am here! I do love you! I never stopped loving you! Marlene!"

And then he was awake. He was disturbed from his dream and confused as to where he was. His mind was racing somewhere on roads of the past and he couldn't figure out why he was in a bed. He looked around to figure out his surroundings, but everything was completely unfamiliar to him. Alarmed he threw the covers from him and jumped out of bed. He crouched stealthily to the door and carefully opened it to reveal a long curved corridor. He did not know to where it would lead, but he was determined to find Marlene.

He walked through the corridor and saw a sentry standing guard by another door. When the sentry saw Allen he stood at attention. This puzzled Allen and the clouds of his dream world began to dissipate. Shaking his head, a rye smile played at the corners of his mouth. But he still did not know where he was, only when it was. He decided to ask the sentry.

"Where's the Princess Edwina of Trilladen?" Allen asked him.

"Sir? She's here in the sickbay. The healer hasn't left her side after the generals' bodies were placed in a suspension chamber." The sentry replied a little concerned.

Allen's mind went through the paces of recalling the horrible crash. He absentmindedly rubbed his left shoulder as he tried to replay all that lead up to this point, but found gaping holes in his memory. He walked slowly up to the entrance to sickbay and the sentry opened the door for him out of respect. Allen looked at him as if to ask another question, but was not forthcoming. When Allen stepped through the threshold he saw his wife and his heart jumped into his throat with fear. Helliese was sleeping on the other bed next to hers. The princess looked close to death.

He shook his head as if unable to believe the sight before his eyes. Blame and regret filled his chest that tightened with each passing moment. She was dying and he was fine. It didn't make sense. It hadn't made sense the first time either when he placed himself in front of the griffin. He chose to die for her that day, felt the wound inflicted on his flesh and fell into blackness. Yet he awoke without a scratch, and she weaker than a newborn.

And now, knowing deep down inside that he should be the one lying there near to death, he couldn't find cohesion with the turn around before him. He looked at her and real terror crept into his heart. He'd lost the woman he loved to death once before, he didn't think he could stand to see that happen again. He remembered his dream of Marlene last night and prayed he wouldn't have to entertain any more ghosts of the ones he loved in this life.

Allen sat down next to her on the chair by the bed and began his vigil. The door to sickbay swooshed opened as Van walked in. He saw Allen sitting there, elbows resting on the arms of the chair with his chin resting on the knuckles of his hands as his eyes looked into the nothingness that his life would be without this woman. Without realizing it, tears were streaming down his face. Van silently walked up to him, pulled up a chair and stayed with his friend in quiet companionship for a spell.

Then Allen broke the silence. "What happened in the crash. I thought I was thrown down the mountain. I can't remember anything after that."

Van looked up at Allen from his seat and straightened himself up and cleared his throat. "You were. I found you broken and battered against the side of the mountain. Princess Edwina wanted to be near you to heal you again as before, so she asked me to leave her alone with you. You were unconscious. When I came back to check on you, Helliese said she used her gift as an empath to take on your injuries. That's why you're okay again."

"So she did save me that first time. I knew it. Somehow I knew it was her who saved me."

"She loves you very much. She's obviously willing to sacrifice herself for you." Van said quietly.

"But it was supposed to me. I was ready to die for her during that attack. I didn't expect to live through the crash either, but I knew she was okay. The generals, you, every man on board would protect her. Yet she's here and I'm okay."

"Don't torture yourself, man. She's stubborn and she did this for you. It's meant to be a gift of love. Have some faith in it and hope for her recovery."

"I won't give up hope." Allen stated.

*************

Folken woke up to the purring sound of his kitten love sleeping peacefully in his arms. His eyes fixed on the vision she presented to him and loved her more deeply for defying his wishes. She was his spitfire and he would be glad never to tame her. She would probably make him furious many times in their life, but he vowed he would become worthy of her. He would atone for his sins and stupid pride.

She stirred and he snuggled her close to him. She woke up and felt utterly delicious. She remembered the previous night's events and stretched and yawned while he chuckled, refusing to completely let her out of his arms. She nestled into him. It felt like a sweet honeymoon between them. But it wasn't to last. The wreckage of the crusade would have to be thoroughly examined to salvage anything useful for the trip. They couldn't leave this mountain range until that task had been performed.

He kissed her on the temple and rose out of bed. "Do you have to be gone so soon? I just woke up." She complained.

"You shouldn't be found here anyway. I have to get started, there's too much to do. We still have to reach Palace by sundown today. Allen will want to talk with the young king to find out why they were attacked. I have some questions of my own as well." He dressed nonchalantly as he talked, but stopped dead in his tracks when he saw her unhappy pout. Smirking to himself, he walked over to her and kissed her firmly on the mouth. "You have to get up to, you know."

She groaned and wrapped herself up in the blankets, hiding her face from him. He slapped her rump twice and told her to get up. Grumbling she did so. Her dress was wrinkled being repair. She looked utterly guilty and not at all presentable.

"It feels like we having an illicit affair." She giggled at the thought of being an unrespectable woman.

"People having affairs usually consummate their affections. We simply slept and cuddled." He told her pointedly. "Besides, you're too young for me anyway."

"TOO YOUNG! Don't give me that. You're mine, you old fart!" She threw a pillow at him.

He chuckled, dodged the bullet and lamented to himself. "At twenty-seven I'm an old fart! Feels good to be robbing the cradle." Then he walked out leaving her to stew.

**************

Hitomi and Yukari walked along the corridor to the sickbay wanting to see how the princess was doing. They took the route of the Floating Fortress that was the outer most walkway, the long way so they could look out the windows and watch Gaea drift below them and to talk. Yukari was depressed about Amano. She didn't think he cared. Hitomi disagreed.

"Amano just needs a little time, that's all. I know he cares for you." Hitomi consoled her.

"I wish I could be as certain as you, Hitomi." Yukari replied.

As they were walking along they heard footsteps behind them. They turned to look to see who was approaching and to their surprise, Gaddes was coming up on them quickly. They stopped to wait for him and as he caught up with him, his hand took hold of Yukari's. She looked at him in surprise.

"I am going to go on ahead of you two. You can catch up later." Hitomi said and walked off.

"See you later then." Yukari said. Then she looked up at Gaddes, her eyes full of questions unspoken. "Are you still angered with me?" She felt shy asking.

Still holding her hand he ushered her to the window's edge and looked out absentmindedly at it. "If I am it's because I care about your safety, Yukari. You can not know how terrible a thing war is. You've a gentle soul." He replied solemnly.

He turned his head and looked down at her. She looked up at him and his eyes probed into her as if looking for answers to questions that plagued his mind.

"When all of this is over and down with, I suppose you'll return to the Mystic Moon with Amano."

"I suppose I will, if I can." She answered him.

"Do you ever wonder what it would be like if you stayed?"

"I know I would miss my family. I don't know that I'll ever get used to this world. There are differences between this one and my own." She told him.

Gaddes released a heavy sigh and looked down at his feet. "While you are here, I wish to get to know you better. I hope you'll allow that."

Her eyes went wide and she nodded her head silently as she stared at his handsome profile.

Some distance away Amano was quietly approaching them. He stopped when he saw Gaddes was holding her hand, and she was letting him. He turned and walked away, his chest was pounding with anger and hurt. He'd always felt that Amano was his girl.

"Shall we see how the princess is doing?" He asked.

"Yes, I think we should."

They caught up to Hitomi and the three quietly entered the sickbay. Hitomi saw Van sitting quietly with Allen who had a lost look on his face. Hitomi's eyes looked to Van and queried him silently. He looked her in the eyes and shook his head slowly. Hitomi's face registered deep sadness. Poor Allen, he loves her so much. She sighed and looked over at Helliese who was sleeping soundly. Then she slowly turned around and left sickbay. She leaned her back against the wall in the corridor outside, folded her arms, bowed her head and prayed.

Van was beside her within moments. Concerned he put his arm around her shoulders and she leaned her head on his shoulder.

"I was pretty angry earlier. I just want you to be safe. That's all I've ever wanted. And now with a baby coming, I feel scared as hell." He whispered into her ear.

She nuzzled him. "I love you. I know you don't understand why I must be with you, but think of this. Princess Edwina is hurt badly, and somehow we're all gathering around her, lending her our strength and love. It's instinctive that we should all be here together for her. It's the same with this mission. We all instinctively need to be together through all of this."

He listened to her silently, then turned into her to embrace her fully. His face was buried in her hair. "It's hard to have faith when I could lose everything that keeps me going." He choked out.

She held him closely to her. "This world could pass away, and the heavens fall from our mind and I would still be with you."

Van's mouth sought hers. His lips softly touched hers. Their kiss deepened as passion ignited between them.

"Would you two get a room." Helliese flatly ordered. They hadn't heard her come out.

They separated quickly, a little embarrassed. Helliese just kept walking. "Where are you going, Helliese?" Hitomi asked.

"We need Merle and Folken and Amano here to aid the princess' recovery. She'll need our positive energy for her shore up while she recuperates from Allen's injuries."

The king and queen went back into the sickbay. Gaddes was holding Yukari's hand. Allen was holding Princess Edwina's hand. No one spoke, only prayed quietly and waited. A short while later Helliese walked through the door with Amano and Folken and Merle and they gathered around the bed. Folken was holding Merle. Amano looked anywhere but in Yukari's direction. His heart was heavy and his pride was stung.

Helliese wobbled up to the bed and with her one good eye looked the princess over. She reached into the voluminous folds of her white healer's robe and brought out a small orange candle. Chanting quietly she lit a match and then the candle itself. It released a fragrance that soothed the soul. It was a refreshing relaxing scent that smelled sweet like a blossom and crisp like pine needles too. The aroma wafted through the room and everyone felt a sense of well being breathing in its perfume.

Putting the candle at a bedside table she sat down on the side of the bed and held Princess Edwina's other hand. She bowed her head and closed her eyes. Reaching deep within herself she transferred precious energy to her hand to give to the princess. Everyone followed suit. Placing a hand softly on her person, each concentrated a portion of energy to their touch. Hearts weighed in with the hopes each harbored for her.

The room was filled with electricity it seemed. The air was charged around them all. They each felt their bosom swell with spirit and love. This radiated from every one of the members of this mission as a color springing from their persons. Soon all the colors of the rainbow were present. The colors combined into a white beam of light that saturated everyone's soul, mind and body. This lasted for just a brief moment, but it was enough. Everyone was now aware of the importance of the mission, and more importantly had faith that each person in the room played an important role in its success. Peace filled everyone.

They lingered there. They felt a deep connection to each other, as family and friends. No one wanted the sacred moment to end, and no one wanted to belittle it by speaking of it. The mystery of spirit and love was too holy and precious, and they had all partaken in its glory as if of one mind and purpose. This war must come, but more importantly, it must teach of the fragility of life in earthly bonds as well as the tenacity of spiritual perpetually. As one's actions defined one's soul, the soul can flourish and grow or become stagnant and die from within. This was a war to save a dying soul.