Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Soliloquies ❯ ...no more soliloquies. ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Alcohol hits at the opportune moment
 
“Cease, cows, life is short!”
 
That was what I heard him say when I arrived, as silently as an assassin could, at the rooftop, mangled copy of “Of Love and Other Demons” in hand. There's Yohji, all sprawled out like a drunken idiot on the rooftop, beer in hand, cigarette in the other with empty bottles of finished beer littered around him. My eyes narrow. He had been drinking since… well, yesterday! Well, at least he's far from the ledge. Still…
 
He didn't even stir when I sat down beside him, so I thought he was out for the count, but when I looked to him, we was staring at me with the most serious look on his face. My breath caught, looking at that face that had come to be a mainstay in my otherwise bleak, sordid dreams. I don't know if that's a good thing. We stared at each other for some time, then he shifted his gaze back at the sky, the way he would when he got bored with the show on the television. I felt… relieved because he wasn't staring at me, and angry at the same time, because I felt like I was the boring television show. I returned to fiddling with the book in my hand, which I only remembered by then.
 
“Yo…” can I still call him that? “ Yohji-kun…”
 
He snorts. “So, we're back to first-name basis huh?”
 
“Kudou, then, if that's what you want”, I replied, a bit irritated. He doesn't reply, face impassive. Sigh. “We're getting worried you know. Come down and have dinner with... us.”
 
“Heck, A… Fuj… Aya, I never bothered you when you were moping.”
 
“Yeah… you never did.”
 
(YOHJI)
 
It was only a whisper, but I heard it. I turned to study his face, still on my back of course.
 
“Would you have rather that I did disturb you before?”
 
His eyes widened in slight surprise, blood lending color to his cheeks. He stuttered. He never stutters… must have hit home base, or something. What, what was that? Was that the flutter of the fleet wings of hope, returning home to my heart? Okay heart, second drum solo. Feet, jump off.
 
“Do you still regret getting closer to me these past few weeks?”
 
“I… I…” then he thrusts out his hand, almost hitting me on the nose with a book, “here.”
 
“Hey… it's…”
 
“You mangled it. It's yours now.”
 
I have the grace to feel apologetic. “Sorry… I'll buy you a new one, a hardbound, so the next times I feel like mangling something, it won't be that book.” Good one, Yohji, a joke in so opportune moment.
 
“No matter. I know the story by heart anyway.”
 
That darned silence again. Okay, brain, your turn to think. Did he give this to me for no reason, or is there a hidden reason behind? Is he telling me that he's giving me a chance, like Sierva Maria did to Delaura? Or that it's a lost cause, like the tragic love story? Well, he who never leaves- never crosses the ocean, like mumsy used to say. But first, a drag of cigarette and a swig of beer, for extra courage.
 
“Are you trying to tell me something?”
 
(AYA)
 
Well, am I? Hell, no use berating myself and wringing my hands of all the sweat they can produce. I look away, to a cloud that suddenly seemed interesting, and focused a menacing glare to it. This is so frustrating! I hate to be frustrated! I'm Ran fucking-human-Popsicle Fujimiya damn it, I'm supposed to be the epitome of cool!
 
“I don't know. You tell me.”
 
Sigh. Somehow, that wasn't what I was planning to say at that moment.
 
(YOHJI)
 
“Aya, I'm the one who professed stupid undying love while being killed by mere suffocation. Already did my part, now it's your turn.”
 
“Did you?”
 
“Did I what?”
 
Sigh. Seems like all we ever do is sigh. Sigh- does that mean…? Does it mean anything? Fucking beer, can't analyze straight.
 
“You just declared it Yohji. What was I supposed to do with it?”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“You never asked.”
 
“Oh.”
 
Oh. Oh so that would mean… what does it mean? Groan… nonstop beer drinking… finally getting to me… at the wrong time! Fucking stupid beer… ooooh…
 
(AYA)
 
He's mumbling something, like cursing something. I hope it's not me he's cursing.
 
 
When did I learn to hope?
 
“Aya…” he cried out. I was all ears.
 
“Yes…?”
 
“Hold out your hand…”
 
What…? What has that got to do with what we were talking about? But, fool that I am, I still held out my hand in front of his face.
 
“Why do you have an extra thumb?”
 
(YOHJI)
 
I heard deep, rich chuckles. Then, someone was shifting me. He had moved me to place my head on his lap. Mmm… I could get used to this. He pries away the bottle from my hand and flicks the cigarette from the other. I felt feathery touches as he brushed away the hair covering my eyes. I opened my eyes to his smiling face.
 
“You know… I like your smile.”
 
“Hmm… and you're drunk.”
 
“I normally can hold alcohol longer… guess seeing you added to the effect… heh. Shit, am I hitting on you?”
 
He looked so amused. “Yohji-kun” emphasizing the -kun, “I'm a man. Pick-up lines as worse as those do not work on me.”
 
“Well… excuuuuse me… they happen to work on some women I know…”
 
“But they're not me, are they?”
 
“Yeah. They're not you… not my handsome, bitchy, paranoid, virgin Aya who had never been on a date… nope… and if you're gonna kill me for saying that, might I remind you that I'm drunk…”
 
“Fat chance, you're not drunk enough…”
 
Yohji's big head, Aya's stalling method
 
(AYA)
 
I'm laughing with him. Like those days before. Funny how I feel so at ease now, now that I'm not accusing him of would-be murder.
 
“Well, if you don't want me to hit on you, what do you want me to say?”
 
“Are you really asking me that?”
 
“Well…” he stopped, thinking about it. “Yeah.”
 
“I…”
 
“You…”
 
“I want…”
 
“You want…”
 
“Kudou!”
 
“Okay, okay, I'll let you finish.”
 
I gave him a glare, for extra measure. Okay, he looks like he is going to shut up now. I take a deep breath.
 
“I want you to ask me if… if I'd like to think about having a relationship with you.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Why what?”
 
“Why ask you if you'd like to think about it when I can ask you if you want to, right here, right now?”
 
Whoa. Flabbergasted, I floundered for something to say. “Sure, if you want to…” Great. If I can just smack my head right now for such an eloquent reply.
 
“Well, you want to?”
 
Gulp. This is it, Ran, the moment you've been running over your head since that day a week ago. Should I look him in the eye? Shit.
 
“I… aren't you going to ask me for something else? Like a reason for agreeing?” He tugged at my hair. “OW!” I glared down at him, and he looked impatient.
 
“I don't care about reasons now, Aya, all I care about is if you want to be with me or not?”
 
“…”
 
“If you didn't really want to, you wouldn't have gone up here, looking for me, disturbing my moping marathon, and giving me that book, and starting this conversation. Come on, Aya, you were never known for beating around the bush.”
 
“And you… you…” oooh, this man! “You have a really really really big head, you know that?!”
 
He laughed out loud, finding my irritation very funny. Hmph.
 
Firsts and customaries
 
(KEN)
 
“Guys! Dinneeeeeooooops! I'm sorry, I didn't see anything! Honest!”
 
(YOHJI)
 
There goes Ken, scurrying down the stairs. Careful Ken, you might…
 
Bump bump bump.
 
“OOOOOOOW.”
 
There you go. Aya playfully swats me on the forehead, as if admonishing me for laughing at Ken's misfortune.
 
“Not my fault that he's clumsy! Or is it still my fault, all part of my grand devious plan?” I wag my eyebrows, doing a vaudevillian rendition of an evil genius, complete with cackle. Damn, that beer really gets to you. Aya tried to stop the snickers coming from his throat.
 
“You sure you're up to a relationship with me?”
 
He gives me a `holier-than-thou' look, and snort. “What am I supposed to be scared about?”
 
“I'm not the virgin, you know.”
 
“You told me you've never been with a guy, so that makes us on even footing. Or where you just saying that to get me…”
 
“Okay, okay, stop suspecting me of the littlest thing. Damn it man, we just got together!”
 
We laughed again, the most that I've ever heard him laugh since… well, since ever. Then we were back to what we were doing before, which was like being (dare I say it?) love struck idiots staring into each other's eyes soulfully. Simultaneously, like our minds were linked or something, our hands reached for each other's face.
 
His first kiss.
 
My first kiss of a man.
 
Our first upside down kiss.
 
Our first kiss as a… ahem… a couple.
 
Didn't I say there's a first time for everything?
 
He pulled away, eyes still closed. A corner of my mouth went up, can't help feeling a wee bit smug. Then he opened his eyes, looked back down me, and deadpanned.
 
“You know, I thought you were supposed to be a good kisser.”
 
“WHAT?” I sat up straight, and in the process my forehead connected with the right part of his jaw, and we (again) simultaneously bellowed out in pain.
 
“What the fuck was that?” I asked, massaging my forehead, trying to chase away the stars from my field of vision. I see him grimacing, massaging his jaw.
 
“I was joking; you didn't have to head butt my jaw…”
 
Shit. I scooted to his side, and cradled his jaw in my hands. “Sorry.”
 
He smiled, like a cute little boy in the park. “S'okay.”
 
We laughed again. I felt a `Casablanca' moment coming on. So to hell with it, and I uttered the line. “This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”
 
He replies, calmly, without really questioning, “Don't you mean relationship?”
 
“Well…” I smiled back, “that too.”
 
 
And in the world out there, the stars are out, the moon too, and people eating hearty dinners in their homes. And there I was, on the rooftop, with Aya, oblivious, thinking... well, no longer thinking by myself, because now I can hear his voice in my head, and I won't be doing anymore soliloquies, because I have him to tell any inane thing that goes into my head, and I find that that's just fine with me. Just fine with me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
a/n: cool. Wound the yarn. Not quite what I planned it to be, but that's how stories go right? Never really what they started out as. Yay. “For good or worse, it's done” -The Kindly Ones, Sandman. There was a part here that was just painfully drawn out, but I didn't take it out, because I thought what the heck, it's the end anyway.
 
That upside down kiss thing, not really handy with descriptive words, am I? Yohji's still on Aya's lap, so if Aya bent down to kiss him… can you imagine it now? Like that. There. There are a lot of parts here influenced by movies (Casablanca, Spiderman -though I hate myself for thinking it-, The Sweetest Thing, Two Weeks' Notice) but you'll forgive me right? Influences anyway, they come from anywhere! I think I got that “Cease Cow…” from The Dead Poet's Society.
 
By the time Ken got there, moments already passed, and Aya had already told Yohji the answer. Hehe. Well, that's that. I'll post an epilogue one day.