Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ zelos ❯ park ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

zelos

by myka

A/N: I sincerely do not know where this is going or how is it going to end.

It was supposed to be mindless fun…just a way to not get bored on a Saturday night. Then how come it ends like this?

It should've never begun in the first place.

***

It was raining that night; the rain was a comfort, a solace. It somehow managed to ease the burning ache in my heart. Because how could a mission so simple end so wrong? The park was desolated, it was pouring at two in the morning after all. The others had chosen to head home; I couldn't; not right now. Now I just needed to breath the fresh air and feel the cold rain running down my face. Just the quiet.

That's when I saw him; in the corner of my eye. A flash of fiery orange hair just as soaked as mine, he walked with a rush to his pace and held something in his arms. A silent rage filled me with the recognition. He didn't saw me.

"Stop!" I ordered him as I reached for my wire. He did; I knew he'd recognized my voice; he started to turn. "Drop it" I said, hands on my watch, making emphasis at whatever he had on his. He paused in midturn, only his profile visible.

"I don't think that would be such a good idea" he said calmly, voice like a whisper along with a hint that showed he wasn't speaking his native tongue. He started to crouch down, holding the bundle close. "I said don't move!" I yelled at him.

"I'm putting it on the ground if that's alright with you" he said like a question in the same calm tone. None of his body language set off a warning. I kept my mouth shut and he took it as a yes. He placed the bundle gently on the ground and it started crying the second he did so.

"What?"

He turned around and I had my first glimpse of his emerald eyes. They were serene and covered with fiery orange wet locks. They were different eyes; they didn't hold the malice and greed I had seen just a few hours ago. "Are you satisfied now?" he asked me.

His voice was different too…more civil, relaxed. It was hard for me to comprehend that this was the same person and I unconsciously let go of my weapon, letting my arms drop to my sides. He took this as an answer too and turn his back on me again as he picked up the screaming child into his arms and returned to his rushed pace getting farther away from me.

I followed him.

***

I waited outside the hospital doors, leaning against a wall as I kept myself away from the cold rain. I hid my hands inside my pockets trying unsuccessfully to keep them warm. I didn't have to wait very long. The Schwarz assassin walked out the emergency room empty handed; he glanced at me without any sort of puzzlement on his face; if he wasn't expecting me there his face surely didn't show it. He slowly took a pack of cigarettes out of one of his pockets. He opened it and instantly offered a piece to me without saying a single word; I took the offering wondering how he had managed to keep them dry inside a soaked coat. I lighted the cigarette in my mouth then did the same for him. We locked eyes for a second.

"You looked depressed Balinese" he said in a tone still alien to me. "Rough night?"

That was an understatement. I glared at him not needing to say anything. He nodded his head slightly "Yeah…me too" he added.

I had to ask him. "Why did you do that?" He looked at me now with what I could only recognize as amusement on his face; he laughed. Not the cold laugh I was used too, but something else.

"It really is hard for you to believe that I'm not a heartless bastard" he said with the last reminiscent tones of laughter in his voice.

"Yes" I answered him quickly, going for blunt honesty when I couldn't think of anything else.

"That wasn't a question" he corrected as he took a deep mouthful of nicotine into his lungs and breathed it out in a silent sigh. I had almost forgotten among the unusual conversation that the Schwarz redhead was a telepath. Almost…

"You would now, wouldn't you Mastermind?" He instantly glared at me and rushed at me unexpectedly, slamming both hands on the wall at the opposite sides of my head, trapping me in. "Don't call me that!" he spat at my face "I hate that name" he hissed.

And just like that, for the first time since I've 'known' him, I saw something real in his eyes…frustration.

The most redundant thing about him I had noticed, about all of Schwarz, was that in each and every encounter we had with them, they always whore the same masks.

We were drawing unwanted attention to ourselves; I needed to calm him down any way possible before someone called security. So I apologized.

"I'm sorry Schuldig…"

Because of all the things I could've done, I knew that was the last one he expected.

I got the reaction I wanted; I confused him. He backed down, inhaling more nicotine in the process and then looking away. "I have to leave," he said a little sullen "I shouldn't be doing this" he added, more to himself than to me. He looked at me with a hint of that smirk I've grown to recognize "Not bad Balinese, it was…different" and with that he was gone; out into the rain. Leaving me alone with a half smoked cigarette that wasn't even my brand.

***

A/N: So do you think this has potential in any way? It depends on how people react to this to see if I continue or not.