Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Conversation ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, there would be more Yami-no-Games. Yami is too restrained about using his powers!

I don't want to spell out Jonouchi, and I've seen Jou used as a substitute, so go with it.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

`Thanks to the puzzle, I've got the friend I always wanted. No, more than that.' Yugi mused. `I've got someone who will care for me forever, who places my welfare above his own…I'm so lucky!'

He sent another feeling of joy to his guardian and felt him nuzzle closer.

"What are you smiling about, Yug?" Jou asked teasingly. "Are you and Anzu…?" He nudged Yugi in the ribs.

"Wha…no, nothing like that Jou!" Yugi replied, embarrassed. He didn't want to tell anyone about the spirit, they might think he was crazy or the spirit was dangerous and take the puzzle away! He'd only known the spirit for a few days, and already the thought of being separated, of not feeling that gentle presence, of not knowing he was safe and cared for, was his worst nightmare, guaranteed to rouse the spirit and cause him to swirl around him in frantic reassurance.

He could tell the thought horrified the spirit as well.

He reached for another topic. Any topic. "So, did you actually watch that video?"

"Yup! But y'know, they've got all the good stuff digitized out. It was really frustrating! Still, do you wanna see it, you hentai?"

"Hum?" Yugi asked. The spirit didn't really touch him, but sometimes the feelings it sent were physical. He'd almost staggered when he felt strong arms wrap around him and a chin rest against his shoulder and a cheek rub against his neck. He blushed.

"I said, do you wanna see it? What is it with you, you're in dreamland half the time. Whatever." Jou shrugged. "The movie?"

"Um, yes Jou. I'll have to hide it from my Grandpa, and wait until he's out of the house to watch it, so it might be a while before you get it back though." Yugi knew it'd be ages before he saw the tape. He'd spent all his free time trying to communicate with the spirit. Strong emotions had gotten him to rouse, but he'd managed to figure out when Yugi was faking rather quickly. And it refused to take over the body for some reason. He'd poked at it frustratedly, and gotten back feelings of apology backed with determination.

"That's ok. Whoa! What's a TV van doing here? Maybe a star goes to our school! Take a peek Yugi!"

"Ok. Sorry Jou, it's one-way glass, I can't see a thing."

But someone saw him.

Anzu had scoffed at Jou's idea that a star went to their school, and Jou's idea to make money selling pics.

`Why is Jou so determined to make money? He's got a permit for a job, but I thought those only went to the best students… why make an exception?' Yugi wondered.

Jou dragged him along on the quest to find the star. Yugi tried to hint that maybe there was another reason the van was there, but this made Jou get angry and go off on his own.

Yugi's sadness at this prompted another nuzzle from the spirit. `He's much more conscious than he was at first…is he getting stronger? Maybe we can talk together soon, but how can we talk if he won't wake up?'

He poked at the spirit again with a desire for him to wake up, and received an apologetic hug and a feeling of frustration, not at Yugi but at something else. `His weakness? Is he worried that if he wore himself out waking up to write a note to me he wouldn't be able to protect me? Protecting me is…it's almost like he's obsessed with it. It's so nice that he cares…' Yugi noticed he was humming again and stopped himself. If he walked around like that people might think he was on drugs.

"Yugi!" A strange voice shouted.

Yugi jumped. It was a big guy. `He must be a senior, he looks like a college student… What does a senior want with me?' He was frightened, but he recovered almost before the spirit stirred. He knew that he wasn't in any danger, that his guardian would protect him. He hugged the anxious spirit and felt him sigh contentedly and return to his watchful slumber.

`There really is a star here? Maybe I can get him to meet Jou and let him take pictures!'

"Sure, I'll meet you there, I'd like to meet this person."

"Great! I'll see you then." And the bug guy walked off, smiling widely.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

`Here I am, and here he is, but where's the star…' He saw the big man's arm twitch and he smiled as the spirit awoke.

`I hope he isn't too hard on him…yawn…'

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

The spirit parried the blow and the next two. `You'll have to do better than that…'

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!" Jou slammed into the guy from behind, knocking him to the ground.

"Yes, what are you doing?" The spirit said, smirking menacingly at the prostrate figure.

"I…I didn't want to… really… but the director…"

"Director?!" Jou yelled.

`Director?' The spirit closed his eyes and searched Yugi's memories as a voice yelled "Cut, Cut! Very good!"

`One who seeks to amuse others with the suffering of my Master?' Shadows began to dance around him, his powers eager to be used. `This one indeed deserves punishment. And by our defeat of his champion, the one he sent to fight for him, he has already lost the Game.' Yami smirked, his mind running through possibilities.

Meanwhile, Joey had attacked the director and was being beaten up, on tape.

The spirit narrowed his eyes, and the camera exploded.

"What the…" The director said, shocked. The dark spirit glared at the cameraman and the flunky and they took off running. A corner of his mouth turned up. `Wise ones, to recognize their doom… "Now for you." The director stepped back a pace, frightened by the glow in the spirit's eyes.

"You want to escape? I'm sorry, but I can't allow that…" He gestured, and bonds of shadow wrapped around the director's limbs.

"What are you?" The director whispered, scared.

"I would say `Your worst nightmare', but I'm much worse than that. You've attempted to harm my Master for your own gain, and I do not tolerate that. You've also harmed this one, who is a brave soul and a friend of my master."

He stepped over to where Jou had fallen unconscious and lightning flew from his hands to the body.

`Wha…did my dad go psycho again? Where am I?' Joey opened his eyes and focused on an outstretched hand. `Yug' He pulled himself up, the past events replaying themselves in his head. He checked himself over at a authoritative question.

"Yeah, I'm all right, Yugi…" He turned and looked at Yugi, and almost freaked.

`Red eyes…like a demon. And he's taller…I know I'm right: this isn't Yugi.'

"Who the hell…"

The menacing figure winked at him and smiled, a conspiratorial grin. He nodded off to the side. Joey looked in that direction.

"Oh. Cool…" The director jerk was tied up somehow. The ropes looked like storm clouds, black and complete with Technicolor lightning. His mouth was open, and it was clear he was trying to yell for help, but no sound came out. "What did you do?"

"I'm simply holding him while his fate is decided. Well?"

"Um, well what?"

"What should we do with him? He has trespassed in the souls of both you and my Master, who I am sworn to protect. Hence we both should have a voice in his punishment. What do you think is a just reward for attempting to profit from the pain of others?"

"Wait a sec, who…"

"Quickly. Or I will decide."

"Well…he's a video guy, he makes his money off what he sees. So if he were blind…" Joey smiled menacingly at the director, who had paled.

"A good decision." The…person turned to the director. "Hear the punishment! For making others see falsely,' he smirked, "All you see will be digitized!" A golden glow in the shape of an eye flew from his outstretched hand.

The director fell to his knees screaming as the bonds released themselves. The person moved to stand over him. "Return home. I promise you that when the evil in your heart that caused you to treat others as actors is banished, your sight will return. But if you seek revenge, or give others the information to seek it for you…" His voice turned silken and deadly, like poisoned honey. "Far, far worse will befall you. Now go!"

"The director ran off, bouncing off things in his terror.

The not-Yugi slumped, then sprang to attention. "Oh no!"

"What's up?" The by now quite confused Jou asked. Curses, doppelgangers, Master?

"I almost forgot! Thank goodness I remembered! Master would have been so unhappy!"

The person, now rather flustered, began to fish through his pockets. He grasped a pen with an `Ah-ha!" but soon turned to Jou. "Sorry, but do you have any paper?" He asked with an embarrassed grin.

"Uh, sorry, but no." Jou was now rather confused. From Dark Avenger to…weirdness.

"Drat. And I shouldn't use any more magic so I can't summon any, and we're sure to get stopped by a teacher if I go to the lockers…" The person began to pace back and forth, and then stopped and turned to Jou. "Could you do me a favor?"

"Uh, I guess I owe you for getting that creep, but what?"

"Can you take a message for Yugi? He asked me to leave him a note next time I took over about who I am and things like that, but I don't seem to have any paper." The person smiled, embarrassed.

"Hold on. Who are you, anyway? If you answer a few questions, I'll tell Yugi what you said. But where's Yugi, and how do you know him?"

"He's here. Asleep." The person pointed at himself. "That's the problem. Right now we only have enough energy between us for one person to be awake. That'll change as we get stronger, but right now if I wake up the Master falls asleep, which is how I am normally. I don't like to wake up because of that, I mean it's Master's body and mostly his energy, I'm would not be serving him very well by stealing his life away." The spirit laughed ruefully. "Which is rather inconvenient for him. Master's been waiting for me to wake up so I can write him a letter, since we can't talk, and now…If I had just done what he wanted me to, I would have woken up at a desk with plenty of paper…oh well." He shrugged.

"What are you, and what do you have to do with Yugi? You aren't him."

"Master is the one who freed me, and out of gratitude and admiration I have sworn to serve him to the best of my ability forever. I also have you to thank." The spirit bowed. "If you had not returned to him the piece of the puzzle, he would not have been able to solve the puzzle and free me. Thank you, and you have my protection for that, as well as as a friend of the Master. If I am ever able to do you a service…" The spirit straightened out of the bow and looked at him questioningly. "Is there anything? I can't do it right now, but later…"

"Um, later is good…what were you doing in a puzzle?"

"I have no idea. The puzzle stripped me of my memories. All I remember is being trapped there until the Master freed me. It was…quite unpleasant there. I owe the Master everything. I would never harm him, if that is what concerns you. Oh, yes. The Master specifically wanted to know my name: I am sorry, but I don't seem to have one. Anything he wishes to call me is fine."

The spirit looked at him questioningly. "Can you think of anything else the Master might wish to know? I really should go back to sleep soon, it wouldn't do for him to miss class because of me."

"Um, I can't think of anything. Can I talk to Yugi now? You know, before I forget what you want me to tell him?" Jou said hurriedly.

"Of course." The spirit bowed. "I am now even more in your debt, Jonouchi-sama. Thank you for helping me fulfill Yugi-dono's request."

"Um…you're welcome?" He closed his eyes as a flash of light emanated from the figure.

"Jou?! Never mind…" Yugi began to search his pockets. `Now where is that note…he promised…"

"Uh, Yugi, I think you have a spirit on your case…"

"You talked to him!?! Where did he put the note? He didn't forget, did he?" Yugi scowled and tapped his foot exasperatedly.

"Um, he almost forgot and then there wasn't any paper, so he asked me to tell you stuff."

"Well?"

"Um…he comes from the puzzle, and you freed him, and when he takes over you go to sleep, and that's about it."

"He didn't tell you his name?! I specifically asked him!"

"Um, he said he doesn't know. He said you could call him whatever you wanted. He calls you Master. And Yugi-dono."

"Master…that's no good…I want a friend, not a slave…" Yugi frowned. "Did he say about when we can talk to each other? I don't want me being attacked to be the only time we communicate."

"I think he said something about getting stronger…Um…"

"Um what? You say that a lot, Jou."

"Is he a good guy? I mean, he acted nice, said he owed me a favor for giving you the puzzle piece and being your friend, but do we need an exorcist?"

"Jou!"

"Well, things possessing people are usually demons, Yugi."

"He's not like that! He's nice and sweet…I can feel him, what he's feeling, all the time and all, all he wants is to protect me and make me happy. I wouldn't send him back to the puzzle! I'd never do that to him! He has nightmares about what it was like in there!" Yugi shuddered.

"Well, if someone wanted to bind him in something, he must have been bad news…"

"Does he remember anything besides his name?" Yugi said, pacing.

`So that's where the spirit got it from…' "He said the puzzle stole his memories. He looked really…haunted by it."

"Poor thing…" Yugi said, stroking the puzzle affectionately. "It was really cruel to him… can you keep this a secret for now?"

"Wha…why?"

"Well, Anzu and Honda would probably think we're fooling or nuts if we say I've got a pet ghost. They'd insist on meeting him, and he's really tired now." Yugi yawned. "I am too."

"He said something about not using magic to get paper for the note because it'd use up too much power…"

"He can teleport stuff? Cool! What else can he do?" Yugi said, excitedly.

"Well, he healed me, and he tied up the guy who had that guy attack you and made him go blind. It was rather scary, …or it would have been to someone not as brave as me."

"Don't worry, I know he'd never harm me or anyone I care about… And you said he likes you and wants to help you. So you don't have to worry. Yugi smiled. He closed his eyes and hummed.

"Um, wha…"

"Oh sorry, I do that sometimes when I concentrate on sensing him. He's just so happy it's infectious. Like a cat stretched out in front of a nice fire…" Yugi closed his eyes and smiled again.

The bell rang.

"Oh no! We'd better get to class!" Yugi took off running. "Come on, Jou!"

"Wait up!" `I'm not letting you out of my sight. You may trust that spirit, and he seemed like an okay guy to me, but still…I'm not letting anyone hurt my friend. And I did kind of help release him, liked he said. So any havoc he causes will be my fault.' Jou ran along, his longer legs forcing him to slow down to stay with his friend.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

"Hey Yugi! Still want the tape?"

"Tape?"

"You know, the one with the censored bits. Or were you too zoned out?"

"Oh! That one! Thank you, Jou!"

"What's this? A good movie? Is it really that interesting? Then I'll borrow it."

"AAACK!"

"Give it back, Anzu!"

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Forgot reviews! Yay, seven for one chapter! I hope I get as many for this, hint hint.

DoomedTarnishAngel: Thanks! And I will continue!

Silvershadowfire: Going on your favorites list?! What an honor!

Runnini: To Yugi he is! Cuddly, but with fangs. Mama bear!

Pharaoh's Angel: Well, he is, isn't he?

Sylvia Viridian: Wow, thanks for requesting my advice! I'll try to be helpful. And Kaiba is hard, huh? He changes a lot.

Divey: Glad you thought it was funny! I was trying to do that but I didn't think I did too well. And you need to buy the manga! It's in Shonen Jump magazine, or you can buy the volumes in English now, at least the first few. If you aren't in America you can still get them online even if they aren't in bookstores. You really should!

SilverLily aka Blood Moon: Thanks! I'm looking forward to your next review. I mean to do longer chapters like you, but I just get done fast! Any advice? I'm probably skipping good stuff, sorry.