Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 35

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh. And that's probably a good thing.
 
/\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\
 
The limousine dropped them all off at their homes, the limousine driver having been called en-route and told that Mr. Motou was well enough to be returned home by another limousine.
 
Jou, Anzu, and Honda pledged their friendship again as they celebrated their victory before they were separated. They considered all going to Yugi's house, but it had been a long day even though it wasn't that late in the afternoon.
 
Yugi himself hadn't slept well at Kaiba's, and he wasn't used to not just using magic on his own, but being part of the power Yami had used with him, awakening this Seth and calling Exodia to aid them in the duel.
 
He wanted to make sure Grandpa was fine, even though Yami's magic had helped him before, and then take a nap. Yami was already spread out in the warm bed in Yugi's soul room.
 
At first, when Yami had slept alone it had been curled up into a ball. A smaller target. Fetal position.
 
When he slept with Yugi, of course, he lay draped over Yugi, sheltering him with his own body. Yugi loved that he did that.
 
Now, he slept spread out, basking in the light of Yugi's soul room, spreading out to soak up the warmth. Yugi could feel his contentment, how it healed him, soothed his fears and nightmares.
 
The thought that he could do this for Yami always made Yugi so happy. That his perseverance, trying to solve the Puzzle for years had made the difference between Yami being tortured in the dark and dreaming in the light.
 
Yami was staying awake now, however. Waiting for Yugi to join him. Yugi waited by the window for Grandpa to come.
 
He is okay, right? He asked Yami, just for reassurance.
 
He is still angry, and the excitement was not the best for one so aged, but he is fine, Master. I did my best to heal him: fortunately his mind is resilient. I think he has seen horrors before: he is a true gamer. Like you, though not as strong. But he has years of skill and experience. He will be fine. Yami smiled, eyes half-closed. It is like you to be concerned for those you care about.
 
What do you mean by that?
 
You are a very kind person who cares for others above yourself. Even me.
 
You deserve it, Yami. No matter what kind of danger I'm in, I'm not letting the Puzzle take you again!
 
No, you would not, Master. Not even if I begged you to. Yami sighed and caressed the sheets. You are too kind. I should wish you were not, as you are the one I owe and I should not endanger you… yet I could not wish you were different. Not only for my own selfish reasons: if you were more practical and less… less saintly I would be trapped again, but that… you are as you are, and I cannot but worship that. You are light, Master. You are kindness personified, everything light and good.
 
Yami, you're flattering me too much. You're the good one, protecting me. You're so strong, to survive what the Puzzle did to you and not go mad. Yugi shuddered slightly. I love you just the way you are. You're perfect too. Had he said too much?
 
Yami just smiled, and stroked the sheets, a manifestation of Yugi's soul, again. They were soft and warm. I… should be more humble. I should wish you did not hold me in such high regard. But it means so much coming from you. I want to be one you value, one you deem strong as I deem you strong. I want to be one you wish to have, not one you rescued by mere accident. We are fated, to be partners. And I cannot ask for more than that, than to deserve to be your partner. No higher honor than that. To be your protector, not a parasite.
 
You're not a parasite! You help me! You're a… what's the word… symbiote. We live together, help each other. I would have been beaten up so many times if I weren't for you… I'm stronger now. I'm so much stronger than I ever dreamed I could be. If I wanted to right now, I could… smash down the wall, shoot lasers from my hands, sic monsters on people… and not just that, I'm brave. I don't hide in the classroom, I play with my friends. I even go up against people like Kaiba without wanting to run away! And it's all because of you. If I'm so good and perfect, it's because of you. You've helped me, and not just that. You've given me a reason to be strong. So I can help you.
 
Master… Yami felt so, so happy in Yugi's mind. He gently kissed the pillows where Yugi's head would rest. You are so kind. I am so glad. If Kaiba had taken me… I do not think I could serve anyone else. I would not want to, even for an end to torment. No one deserves what you have had, no one could be as kind as you.
 
You're not a servant. You're much more than that. I don't need Yoshimori to tell me the legends to know that you weren't just anyone. You have magic, you're smart… I bet you were a king, Yami. And you serve me.
 
Because you are you.
 
Yugi inwardly jumped for joy. He'd been trying to break Yami of his servility for weeks! It wasn't right that Yami serve Yugi out of fear that Yugi would send him back to the Puzzle if he displeased him. The thought that that was the only reason Yami called him Master, why Yami did so many things for him had frightened Yugi.
 
Now he knew that wasn't why, and it made him happy. This conversation was making him happy.
 
Yami had changed today, he had grown, he felt more sure.
 
Yugi had grown as well. He knew he could survive dangerous games, he knew he could use magic, protect his friends. He knew his friends would stand by him. He knew that Yami stood by him out of love, not fear: if Yami had wanted another Master, a worthier one, he could have chosen Kaiba today. He had not wavered for a second in his devotion to Yugi.
 
Thank you, Yami. Yugi hugged him.
 
Should he tell him? They had spoke of loving each other, but there were kinds of love. Friendship, for one thing. Devotion. Yami was utterly devoted to Yugi, Yugi had known that for ages.
 
Yami?
 
Yes, Yugi-dono?
 
Would you call me Yugi?
 
You deserve to be honored more than that, for your light. Everyone should call you Lord Yugi. If they won't, then at least I will honor you as you should be.
 
Yugi wondered at that. He knew he was strong, in magic. Would he have been a lord, someone special, in Yami's time? But that's not really… familiar. Would you call me Yugi, just Yugi, if I asked you to?
 
Yami hesitated. If you commanded me to, I would. But, Master, I know that you wish to honor me. That you wish to raise me up to your level, to stand beside you, with you. But… I want to honor you.
 
Why? In this time, I'm no one special. You're my friend. Jou, Anzu, Honda, they all call me Yugi. I want you to too.
 
Because it is more familiar?
 
Yes.
 
How much more familiar could we be? I dwell in your soul, Master. I see your light, and am gifted with it. I give you my shadows, my powers, to be yours. It does not matter what I call you. What matters is that I am with you. Yami smiled. So kind, so modest, Master.
 
…I see what you mean. Yugi thought. If you want to call me it then you can, I won't order you around.
 
Yami started to say something and Yugi interrupted. I know, I know you love to do things for me. I'm not saying I won't give you chances to do that.
 
Soon I will be able to maintain my own body. Then I could do your chores for you. A light lord doing chores… this time is wrong in so many ways. That you were permitted to be attacked for so many years, and those who were supposed to see to your education did nothing! The shame! Yami was outraged.
 
I know. But we look after people now. We take care of bullies, and we've saved Hanasaki, and dealt with some teachers. Yugi smiled. I've done so much I'd never have dreamed of.
 
You always had it in you.
 
But I never brought it out. That took knowing you. Yami… you know I care for you, right?
 
Amazingly so. I am grateful, my Master. Yami smiled and nuzzled the pillow.
 
It's more than just that. If you went away, I would do anything to get you back. I would never give up.
 
You would do that for any of your friends. You are a hero, Master, never doubt it.
 
Not just that. I would… do it… you're more than just a friend. More than Jou, more than Anzu even though she's been my friend for years. I… I could have left you to battle Kaiba, he wanted to duel you.
 
The fool did not realize your prowess.
 
I could have gone to watch over my Grandpa in the hospital. I… I didn't. You mean more to me than my Grandpa, Yami.
 
Yami hesitated. We share a bond of souls, Master, he said finally. Is it influencing you that much? I am sorry.
 
No! It's not just that! It's you! It's that you're you, and you care so much about me, and you watch over me, and you worship me and teach me and see me as an equal, as someone like you. And you're so amazing, that makes me feel like I'm amazing.
 
Yam did not seem to know what to say, except, That makes me happy, Master. Though perhaps it should not. I… I can be taken at any time. I know that. You should not… you should not grow so attached to me. I could not bear to break your heart. That torment among other torments would break me, Master.
 
I know. I know I'm not strong enough right now to save you. But I'll get stronger! I won't let my heart get broken! If you were taken away, I would just try to get you back! No matter what! I'd never give up, never!
 
That is a relief, Master. Both for my own sake and for yours. But… Master, could I ask you to… I know I have no right, but would you promise me something?
 
Anything. Almost anything. I can't stop caring for you.
 
Do not let me be your death. I am not worth it.
 
You…
 
I know… I know you would say I am. But I am not, and do not wish to be. If I were to be taken, and the risk was too great… Live, Master. Live, Yugi. Live for me. That alone… if I were able to keep that memory, that would make everything worth it.
 
…but you wouldn't be.
 
…we do not know that.
 
They both knew the Items wouldn't be that kind. What if you've been revived before? What if you've called other people Master?
 
You know that I am just, and that means cruelty as well as kindness. If they were not as deserving as you, they would not have your honors. I… the idea that there could be someone in existence as pure as you amazes me. You know I still have… feelings, if not knowledge. I feel I have never been freed before. I feel you are divine.
 
Divine?
 
Special. Bright. ..as am I.
 
You? But the thought made sense to Yugi. Wait a minute. The Items are Egyptian, right? And the Pharaohs were gods, I paid at least that much attention when Yoshimori was talking. That has to be it. You were a Pharaoh!
 
That seems right.
 
So who was Seth, then? Another Pharaoh?
 
…I… I think perhaps so. He was not, and then he was…
 
Your successor? And the Items took both of you? So he would have been a magician too… I can't wait for Professor Yoshimori to come tomorrow and tell us what he found out! Yugi was excited now, enough to forget his original intent.
 
To ask Yami if he loved him. If Yami would understand the question.