Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 36

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh.
 
Apparently there are YGO episodes no one's heard of called Capsule Monsters. Check it out.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGO
 
Eventually, Yugi's grandfather came home in a taxi. Yugi ran to him as soon as he opened the door, and only stopped himself from tackling him at the last minute, he was so happy he was better. “Grandpa! Are you okay?” Concerned eyes looked up at the man who had raised him.
 
Sugoroku couldn't help smiling at Yugi's concern and love for him. “I'm fine, Yugi. You're the one I'm worried about. Playing that awful boy's horrible games to save me! I'm so sorry I wasn't able to defeat him myself.”
 
Yugi shook his head. “Everything was fine, I could handle it, especially with Yami and my friends all looking after me. I beat him with your deck, Grandpa! We drew Exodia and it was all over! He won't hurt anyone like he hurt you ever again Grandpa, I promise.”
 
“Good job, Yugi! I was sure you could do it!” Sugoroku beemed and shook Yugi's hand forcefully in congratulations.
 
“I was too,” Yugi realized. “I wasn't really afraid or anything, was I?” He hadn't been. Not really. He'd changed so much since when he and Hanasaki were the school's easy targets.
 
You were incredible, Master. Yami smiled and patted him on the shoulder.
 
Yes, but you would say that.
 
It's is true.
 
I guess, but you praise me an awful lot. So much I don't always quite believe it.
 
I am sorry. Yami was saddened. I wish you would believe me when I tell you you are the light.
 
I'm not god, Yami. Even if you say it feels like I am. I am your savior, but I'm no saint. Inwardly, Yugi shook his head.
 
“Are you… speaking with him?” Sugoroku asked.
 
“Yes.” Yugi nodded, then laughed. “I guess you've had a lot of practice telling when I am, huh?”
 
Sugoroku laughed. “It seems like you're always talking with him. You don't look distracted, but like you're concentrating more. I suppose you have to pay attention to the real world while whatever is happening in your head goes on.”
 
“I've had a lot of practice. I told you it was just feelings at first, but now we can talk.” Yugi smiled. “It's so great! He can even make his own body now, oh that's right, you know about that, huh. He saved you while I was at Kaiba's last night.”
 
Sugoroku nodded. “Yes. Could you thank him again for me, Yugi?”
 
Yugi smiled. “You can thank him yourself!” Yami? Yami took over and bowed.
 
Sugoroku examined him. “Thank you again, young man. Now that things are a bit calmer and the light's better, you do look rather different. Although it would be hard to mistake you for my grandson, because I know him so well. I can see how others think you look exactly like Yugi, only, well, more menacing.” Sugoroku laughed. “A good game face is important.”
 
“You are welcome, Motou-sama, but as I said before I do not need thanks. I did it out of my service to Yugi-dono.” Yami bowed. “And yes, I do look different, by choice. Foes might not consciously notice red eyes and such things, but they do induce fear subconsciously.”
 
“You can change Yugi's shape? I didn't know that.”
 
Yami gestured and shadows wrapped around his hand. “Both Light and Shadow can cast illusions, one by adding light and the other by taking it away. It is a simple matter. I can even seem taller. Although I could change his shape, why would I? It is his body, I have not that right, nor the desire.” He shrugged and switched places with Yugi.
 
You can change me? Images of muscles, tanned skin, less freakish hair, height passed through Yugi's mind.
 
He sensed confusion. Why would you want to be changed? You are perfect.
 
No, I'm not. I'm a short freak. Yugi shook his spiritual head. You flatter me, Yami. And you believing it just sort of makes it worse.
 
Yami blinked. If you wish it then, I would be happy to.
 
Well… I'll think about it. His body wasn't his soul, he knew the difference, but it was still, well, him. Adolescence was a time of changes but he didn't know if he wanted to take control of it. It felt sort of like the idea of plastic surgery. A little freaky, although he knew Yami could just change him back. It felt unnatural.
 
Although it would be fun to try disguises and talk to people. They'd have no way of knowing it was him! He could be an adult and visit his school! Be rude to all the teachers! The thought made him inwardly giggle.
 
“Well, Professor Yoshimori said he would be coming by tomorrow night, you remember. And Professor Hawkins, another old friend of mine, is in the country with his granddaughter Rebecca and we told him about this as well.”
 
“You told somebody else?” The thought worried Yugi. He had heard about Professor Arthur Hawkins of course, his grandfather had told him the story of how he had saved his life by giving him water in a cave-in and been given the Blue Eyes White Dragon as a symbol of their friendship. Wait! The Blue Eyes! “I'm so sorry!”
 
“Don't worry, Arthur is perfectly trustworthy and he's the world's leading expert on Egyptian magic. What are you sorry for? Rescuing me?” Sugoroku laughed and patted Yugi on the head.
 
“Because of Kaiba being my enemy, you lost your Blue Eyes! I'm so sorry!” Yugi bowed his head and hunched his shoulders.
 
Sugoroku hugged him. “Never mind that, Yugi. I'm safe and sound and you're safe and sound, that's all that matters. It wasn't your fault, it was that Kaiba brat's. I'm sure Arthur will understand. I told you about how his research uncovered that Duel Monsters is based on Egyptian legendary games? The game's creator just confirmed it in a press release! Good publicity, but children who try to claim the game's educational won't get very far! Although gaming is educational. Strategy, thinking ahead, thinking on your feet, mathematics… sales of Duel Monsters are rising steadily. I think its days of being a cult game only have been over for months!”
 
“A lot of people watched me duel Kaiba and Seth. I'm sure that'll boost sales as well.”
 
“Who is Seth? And you defeated the Champion in a duel in front of a stadium full of people, I hear! They're going to be broadcasting the game, after they edit it of course. The whole world will know you defeated him! They'll be flocking to the store to meet you, Yugi!” Yen signs were shining in Sugoroku's eyes.
 
Yugi laughed depreciatingly. “No way, Grandpa. I'm nothing special.”
 
I hope you don't think it's flattery when I say that the only one in two thousand years to free me is indeed special, although I dislike arguing with you, Yugi-dono. Yami smiled.
 
Yugi did like hearing he was special. He smiled. “Seth is like Yami. He was in one of the other Items. Kaiba had one called the Millennium Rod. I helped Yami use the Puzzle to connect him to Kaiba after Yami crushed his mind.”
 
“Crushed his mind?” That didn't sound good.
 
“It's a good thing! It sort of… like a crystal with a lot of flaws? It breaks off all the weak bits and he can rebuild using only the strong bits. Be who he would have been if whatever happened to make Kaiba the way he was hadn't happened to him. It must have been really bad, Grandpa. He had the potential to be a really good gamer. He could have really tried to kill us but he didn't. He still understood fairness.”
 
“He did lock me in a room filled with illusions that almost gave me a heart attack, Yugi.” Sugoroku wasn't quite ready to feel sympathetic towards Kaiba.
 
“But that was fair, you lost a game.” That was the way it worked. “I mean, that's the rules, even though it was really mean. There's magic in games, and if you break the rules you're supposed to lose and be punished. But you didn't break the rules, so it was unfair of him to give you a game like that. He did it because Yami did it to him when he cheated.”
 
“Yami trapped him in illusions of monsters?”
 
“It wasn't to torture him! It was so he would understand that monsters were people and should be treated well! So he would know the heart of the cards and be the gamer he should have been!” Yugi defended Yami. “But it wasn't enough.” He sighed. “Yami didn't expect him to do what he did. Yami would never let anyone hurt me or my friends.” His eyes begged Sugoroku to believe him and trust in Yami, and Sugoroku couldn't resist.
 
“But he has his own Yami with powers now?”
 
“Yes, Seth is going to protect him while Kaiba rebuilds his heart. Then he will be a good person, Grandpa. You don't have to worry about him making Seth attack us.” Yugi shook his head. “Seth knows Yami somehow, too! Yami knew his name was Seth and he was connected to Kaiba somehow even before Kaiba got the Rod! I think they were meant to be together like Yami and I am.” Meant to be together. He wished it was in that way. “Oh! We should invite Seth over tomorrow night!”
 
Kaiba in this house, so soon! “Why, Yugi?”
 
“So he can hear what you, Professor Yoshimori and Professor Hawkins have found out about the Items and about him, of course! Seth doesn't remember things either, and I'm sure he'd really really like to know, just like Yami. Please let him come over?” Puppy dog eyes.
 
“Well… how would we invite him? I'm sure his security wouldn't let us see him, and I doubt he gave you his number.” Sugoroku was grateful he'd thought of a way out of it.
 
“I'm sure Yami can use his magic to talk to Seth!” Right, Yami?
 
I am not sure, I feel his presence but it might be lost in the static of so many souls in such a small area, but I could not miss the Item. Yes, I can speak to him. Not as well as I speak to you, but enough to ask to go there to speak to him.
 
“Yami says he can!” Yugi smiled. “So can he come?”
 
“I'm sure Kaiba is a very busy man, running a company at his age.” Kaiba's underlings had bragged about their boss while he was waiting for their duel. And the hospital staff had become very obsequious when they talked to the man who had been sent to pay his bill and found out who he worked for.
 
Kaiba Corporation was more into amusement parks and arcades than board games, so it was reasonable he had not heard of it or made the connection between it and Champion Kaiba. Or, for that matter, between the prodigy Kaiba and the Kaiba Seto on the list of Yugi's classmates. He must have been trying to keep a low profile.
 
“But he's not Kaiba right, now, he's Seth. Oh, wait, they don't know that and Seth's not going to want them to know.” Yugi frowned. “Yami thinks looking after me is the most important thing of all. So Seth might not want to come if there are company things that need doing. I can ask him, though.”
 
So there was at least a chance he would not have to sit in the same room as Kaiba's body. Would Seth looking out of Kaiba's eyes be as different as Yami looking out of Yugi's?
 
Sugoroku hoped the nightmares tonight didn't wake him up.
 
“So can he come, Grandpa?” It was impossible for him to say no to his grandson. It was a good thing his grandson was a good boy and didn't ask for too many things. Just new games, which was good. That meant they could play together, and Yugi could test out new games for the shop.
 
“Yes, if he can.” Sugoroku gave in.