Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 38

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGO
 
That night, Yugi curled up with Yami in their Soul Room. Yami?
 
Yes, Master? Yami stroked Yugi's hair, radiating contentment.
 
You remember what we were talking about earlier?
 
I remember everything I talk about with you, Master.
 
I want to say something else.
 
Then say it. Yami seemed puzzled. Why would you not, if you wish to?
 
Because I'm worried how you will react.
 
React? I will react how you wish me to react, Master.
 
That's… part of the problem. This is something that… okay. As your Master, I tell you I want you to react to this the way you would if I wasn't your Master. If we were just… whatever we are to each other. Does that make sense?
 
You want my honest opinion of something? Then I will grant it, Master. Yami nuzzled him.
 
Yugi hesitated. Would this be the day? I want your honest opinion. I promise I won't be hurt, whatever you tell me. As your Master, I order you to tell the truth, okay? Be totally honest in how you react to what I tell you.
 
As you wish, Master. Yami frowned slightly. You are too kind to be angry with me, even if I displease you.
 
Exactly. Yugi mentally took a deep breath. Mentally, spiritually, what was the word for things done in soul rooms? Whatever.
 
It had been months. He was finally going to tell him.
 
Yami? You know I care for you, right? A lot?
 
More than you should, Master. Yami bowed his head. Though I cannot help being grateful.
 
I care for you more than I should? Maybe I do. I care about you more than I care about Grandpa, about Anzu, about my new friends, even more than I care about myself. I'd risk my life to save you.
 
Yami's eyes opened wide, startled and shocked. Yugi held a finger over his lips. I would. Don't feel bad about it. It's because I love you, Yami. Loving you makes me happy. You want me to be happy, right? Don't hate yourself because I love you. Don't say you're not worthy.
 
I am n… as you wish, Master. But I thought you said to be honest? Yami was confused.
 
I meant be honest about this. Yami, do you love me back?
 
Yes. Of course, but…
 
What do you mean, of course?
 
I have loved you since you first awoke me. My salvation, so pure, so bright, so warm, so kind. So wonderful to not only me, but others. So brave. I wanted to strengthen you, to see you fly and know I helped, to protect you until you didn't need me anymore. I knew if I only knew I had helped you, only remembered knowing you, and that the Puzzle had brought us together, then I could bear it when I was taken back.
 
I would never let you be taken back! Yugi grabbed on tight to Yami. You're my Yami! I'd never let anyone take you away, not the Items, not Kaiba! I love you!
 
You shouldn't. You're going to be sad. Yami kissed his cheek. I want you to love me, though. I shouldn't. I wanted to leave you happy.
 
I'll rescue you if anything happens!
 
I wanted to believe that. I wanted to worship you. At the beginning I did, you were so bright, so strong, but now… you have such potential. Potential to be my equal, when what I feel tells me no one ever was my equal. Potential to be a god. So bright. Another gentle, mournful kiss. I didn't want to hear it, when you told me you were my equal. Didn't want to be afraid I could be taken back despite you, that you might defend me and fail. Be hurt because of me. I wanted to believe. I wanted to have that illusion of safety. Yami sighed.
 
I wanted you to feel safe, to be happy with me. Did I fail? Yugi sighed as well, kissed him back on the cheek. Gentle kisses between mirrors. Kissing had seemed such a big, important, frightening thing until now. This, this was natural. Comforting him, comforting Yami. Contact, body to body, heart to heart, soul to soul.
 
You didn't fail! You even let me live in your soul room! Feel your warmth and light all the time, be immersed in it! Let me serve you and save you, talk with you. Listen to how your days went and be in your dreams. So, so easy to pretend like that. So wonderful it's hard to believe it can ever end, this heaven. Yami nuzzled his cheek. You're so warm. So soft. I love to hold you like this, and you let me do it almost every night!
 
I love to be held by you. You make me feel safe too, Yami. You protect me. But for me, it's not an illusion! You even defeated Kaiba. I'm safe as long as you are here. And… even if you were taken away, I would still be safe, because of you. You've taught me so much, made me so strong! I saved Honda with my magic! Did you feel it?
 
So impressive, to do such a thing so soon. Yami smiled against Yugi's cheek. So brilliant, oh bright one.
 
You're my darkness, and you're brilliant. I wanted to be worthy of having you. Able to save you. I will save you, Yami. I will protect you. I won't fail, I won't be weak. You taught me that. To be so brave even though you're so afraid. You inspired me, taught me so much.
 
I'm so glad. I want you to be happy.
 
I won't be happy when you're gone! Because you won't be gone! If the Puzzle breaks, I'd just put it back together! You heard what the spirit said, it needs us! Needs us strong! It won't take you back until whatever it wants happens, and when that's done… it might let me keep you.
 
It hates me. I know this, somehow. Hates me, but I don't know why. I don't think I deserve it.
 
You don't! What could you have done to merit what happened to you! Ages of torture! You're a good person, Yami! You can't have done anything that bad! Yugi squeezed him tight.
 
What if I did? Fear.
 
You didn't. And I would still love you. Certainty.
 
I know. I don't deserve it. I don't deserve you.
 
We're perfect for each other. Darkness and light. Seth came to Seto, you knew he would even before it happened! Isn't it the same with us? Weren't we supposed to happen? Destiny, Yami! You were meant for me, you do deserve me! You're mine, don't say you aren't!
 
Of course I am yours!
 
But saying you aren't worthy is saying you don't think you should be mine. I hate it when you do that.
 
I am yours. I want to be better for you. Nuzzle again.
 
A light kiss back. They still lay together in the bed in Yugi's Soul Room, arms wrapped around each other and eyes closed. Simply feeling each other. Shadow yearning for light and finding it, light knowing the shadow it held.
 
You're getting stronger all the time, Yami. Your own body! And soon, I'm sure you will be able to do it without the Items' help!
 
In a few days, Master.
 
That soon? That's wonderful! Another peck on Yami's cheek. I'm so glad. We defeated Kaiba, he has Seth so he won't bother us anymore, Grandpa is okay, we'll be finding out something about your past tomorrow, or maybe tonight. Is it after midnight? Anyway, Yugi grinned, I love you. You make me so happy.
 
You know you make me happy. You are everything good to me.
 
Not everything good. What about games? Yugi teased.
 
It is because of you that I can play games again, Yami pointed out.
 
True. We should play more games together! When you've got your own body, we can go and play basketball, soccer…
 
I thought you did not like those games, Master?
 
They'll be fun if I'm playing them with you and the others. Although Duel Monsters is still my favorite. Oh! We could go riding on a dragon!
 
We could do that now, it is less effort to stay `physical' in the Shadow Realm, Yami suggested.
 
Not right now! We're cuddling. Yugi shook his head, smiling. I want to stay right here more than do anything, anything else.
 
Yami tangled his fingers in Yugi's soft hair. I am glad, Master.
 
You're still calling me that? When we love each other?
 
I think we have always loved each other. We would both give our lives for the other.
 
That's right. Yugi nodded, opening his eyes to smile at Yami's red ones. I've wanted to tell you since the beginning. But I didn't want to make you afraid. While I was your Master, you believed that I could keep you safe. And I want to keep you safe.
 
I know, Master.
 
Why are you calling me Master? You aren't my slave. I love you.
 
If I am not your slave, then I am a slave to your love. Yami smiled slightly at the phrase.
 
Me too! I'd do anything for you! Crystal eyes glowed with sincerity.
 
I know, Master. But if we ever… if we must choose for one of us to go, I want to be that one. I want to be the one who is reckoned less, who is unknown, for you to claim the glory of our victories. For they are your victories. You beat Kaiba.
 
You did!
 
For you. And that was it, to Yami. Everything for Yugi. He was just a shadow. He could only be grateful he was Yugi's shadow.
 
I want to do something for you. Yugi pouted cutely.
 
Yami laughed softly. You did. You freed me. That is over all.
 
You've saved me lots of times. Will it ever even out?
 
Would we want it to? I owe you, you wish to owe me… our debts are another tie to coerce fate with. Something else that links us. I never want to be let go.
 
I never want to let you go, Yami.
 
You are a god, Master. If you will it, so shall it be. I need never fear, for I am loved by a god.
 
Bad things have happened to people gods loved, Yugi pointed out. You're the god here. Spirit. Ancient, powerful, sharing my body. I guess that makes me your avatar, huh? Your vessal.
 
I do not fill you. I occupy only a corner of your soul, and would not ask for more. This is blessing enough.
 
You're so sweet. Another kiss. Then Yugi pulled away. Yami blinked, looking at him. Why had he withdrawn?
 
Yugi smiled sweetly at him and kissed him on the lips.
 
For a while, they just pressed against each other. Soft and slow, and they knew they could have more, but this was all they needed. Body to body, heart to heart, soul to soul, there in the brightness of Yugi's soul was the shadow that wrapped around him.
 
Yugi felt for Yami's presence in the back of his mind. Was there any hesitation? Any lingering unworthiness or mere desire to please?
 
Some of them, yes. Just as there was in Yugi's mind. Yami was so much stronger than he was: was this in some way yet another attempt to bind Yami to him? Instead of Yami wanting another host, like Yugi had been afraid he wanted Kaiba? Bribe him with his body?
 
No. This was meant to be. Right?
 
Right.
 
Yugi hesitantly opened his lips, like he'd seen people do in the halls and shyly licked Yami's to get his first taste of him.
 
Strange. He wouldn't taste like this in the real world, this was how his soul tasted. Of musk and smoke, shadows and gold. Of age and youth and power. Of possession.
 
All that in one little lick. His tongue came back out, wanting more, to find Yami's lips open. Waiting.
 
Perfect Yami, giving him everything he wanted. Could ever want.