Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 39

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGO
 
“So these Professor people are going to tell you who you are? I don't think they can, Seto didn't find out who you were, and if he couldn't no one else could.” Mokuba sat in the front seat as Seth drove to Yugi's house.
 
“Maybe, maybe not. But knowledge is power, and if they know anything Seto doesn't we should remedy that,” Seth reminded him.
 
“You're right, Seto used to say that to me. How is big brother doing?” Mokuba fidgeted with his seatbelt.
 
Seth smiled. “He is almost two thirds done, if I am any judge. He wants to see you.”
 
Mokuba smiled at that. “He'd better. I've missed my big brother. He did everything for me, you know. He killed the person he was for me.” Mokuba was proud of him for it, although it clearly made him sad. “So I tried to be like him.”
 
“You have the potential to be a strong game master, just like him. Facing `Yami' twice. Very impressive.”
 
“Were you watching?”
 
Seth shook his head. “I was barely aware of even Seto.” Light, hanging there. So far out of reach, but he tried and the chains cut deeper. “But I saw in his memories.”
 
“That's cool. Does that mean you know everything Gozaburo did to him?” Mokuba looked thoughtful.
 
Seth bared his teeth. “I would dearly like to resurrect him and kill him in a more… appropriate manner. Letting him commit suicide was too merciful.”
 
“I want you to tell me.” Mokuba looked stern.
 
“Tell you what, Mokuba?”
 
“Tell me everything my big brother went through for me.”
 
Seth shook his head. “You are his little brother, and my ally in protecting him, but he is my light.”
 
Mokuba looked partly disappointed, but mostly satisfied. “If you had said you would tell me I would have broken the Rod. Those are Seto's secrets.”
 
Seth laughed. “You're a clever little cat. And you could try to break the Rod.”
 
“I'm not a kitten!” Mokuba put his hands on his hips and pouted.
 
“It's a compliment, Mokuba.”
 
Mokuba looked thoughtful. “The Items are from Egypt and cats are sacred in Egypt. So maybe it is a compliment. But you're not calling me that in front of anyone else!”
 
Seth smiled slightly. “Of course not. That would be out of character for Seto Kaiba.”
 
“Right. And if you're going to be him, you had better do a good job of it.” Mokuba crossed his arms and nodded firmly.
 
“We're here.” The game shop was just ahead. Seth went around the back of the block into the parking for the area businesses.
 
He parked the car and opened the door for Mokuba. Mokuba climbed out and they headed for the back door of the shop. There was a sign saying no customer entrance, but Seth ignored it.
 
Yami opened the door before they came to it. It was clearly Yami. “Hello.” Seth bowed his head to honor him.
 
“Seth, Mokuba.” They weren't quite Yugi's friends, so he didn't have to be so formal. Though… being so formal made Yugi's friends uncomfortable. Maybe he should do what Yugi told him to and stop.
 
A lot of his thoughts had changed since that conversation last night. Yugi, they are here.
 
They are? Yugi opened the door to the back room. “Hello, Seth and Mokuba.” He looked a little nervous. They had parted sort of friends, but he still remembered what Seto did. He told himself firmly to forget about all of that. It was over, and hopefully this time Seto would turn over a new leaf.
 
He hoped so, for all their sakes.
 
He had faith, however.
 
Seth looked from Yami to Yugi and back. “The two of you have separate bodies?”
 
Yami nodded. “I only recently became strong enough.” When they had admitted their feelings, it seemed to have strengthened him. Shadow and light magic came from the heart, after all. Being in touch with your heart was strength.
 
Mokuba smiled. That was good, that meant Seth wouldn't have to possess Seto. He liked Seth, but still. It was Seto's body.
 
He would get two big brothers to play with! Score!
 
“Why don't you come in?” Yugi offered. It was cold out there. The sun was going down. “You're really early,” he told them as they came in. “They're not going to be here for a couple more hours.”
 
“You told us we could come early, and Seth got everything done really quickly, so I said we should come.” Mokuba could still pull off incredibly cute and sweet when he wanted too. Yugi had the Puzzle and Yami, so he had power. He was still Seto's rival, so Mokuba should get in good with him. Plus, he had really helped Seto. Seth was great! So Mokuba owed him, and he always paid his debts.
 
“Well, I'm glad you came.” Yugi smiled back at him. “Do you want anything to drink? We were going to order dinner when they got here.”
 
“I'd like orange soda.”
 
“Beer, please.” Yugi blinked at Seth.
 
“Beer? But isn't Seto too young?”
 
“Oh.” Seth looked displeased. “I forgot. I shouldn't make slips like that.”
 
“That's okay, I'm sure you're doing a great job,” Yugi tried to cheer him up.
 
“I never had to fool those who associated with Yugi. I had time to get used to these customs. They still seem strange.” Yami sighed. “Especially the lack of respect given to Yugi-dono.” Oh, there he had gone and slipped up. He had promised he would only call him Yugi. “Forgive me, Yugi.”
 
Yugi smiled at him. “That's okay, Yami. Habits are hard to break. Let's all go to the living room.”
 
Anzu and Jou were already there. “Where is the third one of your friends? Honda?” Seth asked, looking around.
 
“He had to look after his nephew again,” Jou volunteered. “Come here and sit down.” He pointed at a chair across from them.
 
“Mokuba, you take the chair.”
 
Mokuba regarded it thoughtfully. “It's big enough for both of us.” He got on it and scooched over to one side. “See?” He patted it. “Sit down, step-big brother.”
 
Seth smiled and complied.
 
Jou was envious, it showed on his face.
 
“So, Mokuba,” Anzu spoke up. “Is everything going well?” Yami was okay, they were sure of it by now, but this Seth was a new factor. The Items were Egyptian, and she knew that Set wasn't a good guy.
 
Seth and Yami gods? What a weird idea.
 
Mokuba nodded. “It's great! He made all the board of directors, they're all real jerks, do exactly what he said! He just waved the Rod,” Mokuba waved his hand in the air to mimic it, “and he found out about all the stuff they were trying to pull and ordered them to stop it. And they said, `Yes, Seto-sama.' Just like that! It was so cool! Seto said he was trying to figure out how to do that, but he hadn't yet. He would have real soon, though.” His big brother could do anything.
 
Mind reading and mind control? Jou and Anzu looked at each other. Well, Yami summoned monsters and cursed people. They thought if they had heard this out of the blue they would be scared, but it was almost old news by now. “Was that really fair?” Anzu glanced at Yami. “I mean, going into someone's head?”
 
“They were working on a plan to take over the company with Pegasus and have Seto killed! They were going to kidnap me! If Seth hadn't stopped them it would have been big trouble.” Mokuba slid his finger across his throat. “Gozaburo used to have people killed all the time, and these jerks are left over from them. Seto made them stop when he took over, but he was always having to fight them to get things done.”
 
“Have you… killed?” Anzu looked at Seth for confirmation.
 
Seth's eyes were diamond hard. “Yes. They would have.” His fingers curled around a golden rod that suddenly appeared. Just like the Puzzle, same eye symbol. “I will challenge them to games later, but for now we need them. They will be Seto's to sentence, when he has repaired himself.”
 
“Doesn't the… mind-rebuilding thing make you a good person? Would he still want to curse them?” Would Kaiba come back just as evil? Jou's eyes narrowed.
 
“Good does not mean weak.” Seth laughed. “They are murderers, and will get what they deserve. It will be just, fair, and lingering.”
 
“My big brother's not a sissy, and no spell's going to make him one!” Mokuba looked outraged. “He always fought people for me! He's not going to back down and let Seth do everything, or be an idiot and tell Seth to let bastards like them go!”
 
“Mokuba.” Seth turned to him. “Seto would not like to hear you use that kind of language.”
 
Mokuba's eyes widened. “Oops? Sorry. Please don't tell him?”
 
“I won't tell him unless he asks.”
 
“Well, I wouldn't ask you to lie to him. So that's fair.” Mokuba looked like Seth had passed another test. “Just don't bring it up.”
 
“That is fair.” Seth nodded.
 
Jou wondered why Seth wasn't calling him Mokuba-sama or something. Seth seemed a lot less worshipping than Yami had acted.
 
Though Yami had been acting pretty different since they'd gotten here this morning. He'd had his own body, for one thing.
 
He'd been calling Yugi just Yugi, although he was still calling Jou and Anzu Jounouchi-sama and Mazaki-sama.
 
Yami had sat down on the couch and Yugi had curled up against him while they had talked. Yami hadn't talked much, he had been smiling down at Yugi.
 
Yugi had been all happy and content, talking nonstop about how it was so great that Yami had gotten so much stronger. Yugi had only gotten more than five feet away from Yami three times, and all three it was Yami going to get something for him, like water or to answer the door.
 
Jou supposed it was only natural for them to stay so close together. They had probably gotten used to sharing a body, it must feel weird to finally be separate, though Yugi had laughed once and told them something Yami had said inside his head, so they weren't totally separate.
 
It must be really weird to be sharing a mind, though. Yugi had said he was aware of Yami's presence all the time. He'd described it as a shadowy presence. Warm, though, and happy.
 
Still sounded creepy to Jou. “Hey, Yami? Could you get me a soda along with Mokuba's?”
 
“Yes, Jou-sama.” Yami bowed. Okay, that was a little less formal. His preferred nickname, but still the -sama nonsense.
 
“I would like water, then, thank you,” Seth added.
 
Yami nodded and went to the kitchen.
 
Yugi sat down on the couch again. “Can I ask a question, Seth?”
 
“Yes.” Yugi was Yami's light.
 
“How strong are you? I mean, right now. The Puzzle really weakened Yami, it took him a long time to recover. We couldn't be conscious at the same time, but you are and you said Seto is too, rebuilding his heart.”
 
Mokuba stiffened. Yugi was asking Seth to reveal a weakness. That was never good. He tried to tell himself that Yugi probably wasn't an enemy, that he had helped him. He still looked nervously up at Seth.
 
Seth pointed to the Rod. “I have been controlling others into sending me their energy. For instance, after they get home the Board of Directors will sleep for two days, which will keep them safely out of my hair. The explanation will be that they stayed up too late tonight undoing all their scheming.” A smile of triumph.
 
Yugi wished Yami had thought of that. He could have drained the people he had punished? Or was that one of his powers?
 
Yami came back with the sodas just them. “Yami? Was there some way you could have stayed awake more? Seth said he drained people.”
 
Yami handed out the two cans and the bottle of water. “I am afraid not, Yugi. I had to use the energy of the punished to create the punishment on them, even though I could have used the power of unity to take it.”
 
“Oh.”