Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 45

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Yugi read the newspaper as he walked along beside Anzu. “Ack! The Playing Card Bomber struck again! This is the third time! He sends a playing card as his calling card!” Anzu was looking off to the side. “Anzu!” He poked his head out from behind the newspaper. “Did you hear that? The playing card bomb—“
 
He noticed the irritated expression on Anzu's face and put the newspaper away. “Anzu? Is something wrong?”
 
“Oh, nothing.” She winked as he sweatdropped. “If the morning paper is so fun, why don't you read it all day?”
 
Inwardly, she was steamed. Here it was, summer vacation, and the one time she managed to go someplace with just Yugi instead of Jou and Honda tagging along… not that they weren't great guys, but Yugi had been her best friend first, and she wanted to have some time that was just them.
 
Not that it was really just them, Yami was undoubtably watching from behind Yugi's eyes.
 
That irritated her a little. It felt like he wasn't her best friend anymore, he was Yami's. Of course, to be fair, Yami had saved his life. A lot. And hers too.
 
She'd been really suspicious at first, that he was a demon possessing Yugi or something, but at some point you just had to trust people, right?
 
He made Yugi really happy, so she didn't really have any reason not to trust him. Except that he did nasty things to people who messed with him… she told herself to quit being paranoid and just have fun today.
 
“Yay! We're here, Anzu!” Yugi pointed ahead of them.
 
They had arrived at the amusement park. Perfect timing. She smiled at Yugi, who looked a little worried. “Huh? What, Yugi?”
 
“The two of us going out… would you say we're on a d—d…”
 
The woman manning the entrance kiosk interrupted him. “Hey, kiddo! This is a high school ticket. You're still in middle school, right?”
 
Anzu winced.
 
“Excuse me!” Yugi said forcefully. “I may not look it, but I am in high school!” He looked cute when he was outraged. Not that this was a very diplomatic thing to say, when he was trying to not seem like a little kid.
 
Once inside, Yugi's mood quickly recovered. He was usually cheerful. A little thing like that wouldn't have ruined their day out. “Ya-hoo! Look at all the rides! What should we do first, Anzu?”
 
She grinned and looked up. “Let's see. It's a hot summer day, the sun is shining, so why don't we just…” She winked at him.
 
She loved waterslides! Laughing, she begged, “Let's do it again! Come on, Yugi!” He had fallen in the water and was looking up at her. He looked a little dazed. Had he hit his head?
 
“Come on!” She headed for the stairs up to the top of the waterslide, Yugi following her hesitantly. He seemed fine. “What are you waiting for?”
 
Yugi was blushing like crazy.
 
After a while they'd had enough and lay down on some lounge chairs to sunbathe. She loved the weather today, so warm. She opened her eyes, hand shading them, and thought it was so bright…
 
Looking over at Yugi, she stiffened. Yami? Why had he come out?
 
And on the day she had made Yugi promise would be just them! She sat up to give him a piece of her mind when a kid squirted Yugi with a water gun.
 
The water had just made his bangs stick up. Okay. Yugi got up and chased after the little brat, who was only a few inches shorter than Yugi.
 
Yugi had been having a growth spurt recently, though. Yami again?
 
It was nice of him, if so, to do that for Yugi. He didn't need to, he seemed able to make himself taller easily enough.
 
Some guy hit on her and she gave him a look that told him to get lost while she waited for Yugi to come back.
 
When he did, they changed out of the swimsuits and went on her other favorite things at this park: roller coasters.
 
She and Yugi had been going to this park for years and had their favorites mapped out. “Hey, Anzu! Let's ride the Ultra Spin next!”
 
“All right! Wait up!” He was so eager he was hurrying ahead of her. Inwardly, she congratulated herself.
 
This was going perfectly. Just the two of them, no Jou, no Honda, no crises… She supposed other people would be envious of how exciting their lives had gotten, and the two boys were great deep down, but she didn't like Yugi being in danger.
 
So maybe it made sense that she'd gotten to like Yami better after she'd managed to talk to him when nothing was happening to Yugi. Yami had always been associated with the latest threat in her mind before.
 
Yugi had paused.

“What's wrong?”
 
“There's something going on!” He pointed. “See?”
 
“Look at all the cops. You're right. I wonder if something's happened?”
 
“Attention, park patrons,” came over the intercom. “The police have received a bomb thread in the park. We can't go into details for security reasons, but… uh… please follow the instructions of the nearest police officer and quickly and calmly proceed to the nearest exit. You can also jump over the little fences. Thank you.”
 
“This is terrible!” Yugi's eyes widened. “I wonder if it's the same bomber!”
 
Well. “Hmm… a bomber…”
 
“Anzu, let's get out of here!”
 
“This sounds like a job for Yami.” She giggled.
 
Yugi blinked. “Yeah, you're right.” People were starting to push past them. “But still, Anzu, you should get to safety.”
 
She took his arm. “Think about it, Yugi. I'm safest right next to you, right? Nothing will happen to you.”
 
He nodded. “You think so?”
 
“I know so.” She smiled at him. “Come on, let's head for those cops. We can eavesdrop on them so Yami can find out what to do.” They pushed their way against the current of the crowd.
 
The police were staring up at the Ferris Wheel. “This is bad, there are two people on that ride! Cars 1 and 13!”
 
The chief was talking onto a cell phone. “Yes… I've got the cards.” He listened. “The bomber challenged us to a card game!” He shouted at the nearby people, “Who's a good card player? Is there a gamer here?”
 
“I'll do it!” Anzu looked at Yugi beside her and saw Yami, who gave her a nod of acknowledgement.
 
She gave him a thumbs up.
 
“Huh?” The policeman in plain clothes (a detective) seemed to recognize him. “You're that boy.”
 
“Give me the cell phone!” Yami commanded and the man obeyed quickly.
 
“Hey!” Yami spoke into the cell phone. “I'm here. What are we playing?”
 
“Keh, a kid. Very funny. All right. The game is… Clock Solitaire!”
 
Yugi explained. You take a standard deck of cards, take out the jokers, shuffle, deal them into thirteen piles of four, twelve in a circle like a clock and one in the middle. You start by turning over the first card in the center, the '13-o'clock' position.
 
Yami laid them out. Here I go! “The first card is the three of spades. So I place this card face up under the three o'clock pile. Then I turn over the first card in that pile. The four of hearts. I place it under the four-o'clock pile, and flip over the top card. Ten of diamonds, four of diamonds: so there are now two fours in the four o'clock pile…” he kept up a running commentary for the cops, who were watching breathlessly. What's the point? What is this madman up to?
 
Well, we'll find out.
 
“The fourth number four card, and I've completed the first hour… 4:00!” The four o'clock position was now filled with all four fours.
 
And the number four car of the Ferris Wheel exploded. Everyone stared in shock. I get it! This is a clock bomb game! This Ferris Wheel has 13 cars and there are 13 hours in the game! When all four cards of a hour are turned over, the car with the same number explodes!
 
“Now do you understand? Keep playing! Do you really think this will end without anyone hurt?”
 
So. The bomber must be watching my cards and triggering the bombs. But where in the world is he? Hmm.
 
I've put up shields around the people in the cars, Yami. They'll be safe.
 
If the cars explode and they survive without a scratch, wouldn't that be strange? So I must win this game. “Now the eight o'clock position is complete!” Another explosion.
 
“It's over, chief!” One of the policemen was saying. “Sooner or later one of the occupied cars will explode!”
 
“How can the boy win this game?”
 
“I will! I need to collect the Kings!”
 
There was one one showing, but two Kings. However, when all the kings were exposed, the game was won.
 
There went the number two car.
 
The third king!
 
“Twenty seconds left! Twenty seconds until the hour on the original calling card! Then all the bombs will go off!”
 
Five seconds! An Ace? No!
 
This is the last card… Please be it!
 
Yugi joined his will with Yami's. He had faith, they would save the day. Like always.
 
The last King!
 
“He did it! The four Kings are out!”
 
“Time is up!”
 
“Okay! Let's evacuate the two riders!”
 
Anzu patted Yami on the shoulder in congratulations. “I knew you could do it!”
 
He smiled up at her from where he sat on the ground. “Thank you, Ma… Anzu.”
 
She smiled back. “Anzu, huh? That's great.”
 
“Let's go.” He started to walk off, then turned to the detective. “Oh, right! Detective.”
 
“What is it?”
 
“You want to know where the bomber is? Check out the person riding in car #13. There won't be a bomb on that car. And that's the only place in this park where you can see my cards and set the bombs off. Car #13 is the only safe car. The person pretending to be a hostage is the bomber!”
 
You're right! The detective's face was shocked.
 
Anzu grabbed Yami. “Hey, let's get back to our fun day!” And she tugged him off before the detective could start asking questions. Who was that short kid? She thought to herself, smiling.
 
When they were out of earshot, she held out her hand for a high five. “Go Yami!”
 
He carefully high fived her. “Thank you.”
 
“You were really great, saving that person and figuring out who the bomber was.”
 
“Thank you, Anzu.”
 
She casually pat him on the head. “It's great you're not calling me Mazaki-sama, too. Not that being treated like a princess is a bad thing, mind you.”
 
“I will let Yugi take over so you two can have your day together.”
 
She shook her head. “The idea was a day at the park, and that's sort of shot now the park's been evacuated, huh? I know! Let's go over to your house. You can have your own body there and you two can teach me how to duel some more.”
 
He blinked. “You would like that.”
 
“Sure.” She linked her arm with Yami's. “You're my friend too, you know. But I barely know you. So, like we've been doing because Yugi's been making us, let's spend more time together.”
 
He bowed his head to her.
 
“Hey, don't do that! You know Yugi doesn't like it.”
 
“Yes, Anzu.” He nodded. “Still. I thank you.”
 
“Don't mention it. Though, as Yugi's big sister I have to tell you that if you were a bad guy, you would be in serious trouble!” Her eyes were hard for a second, then returned to normal. “But, you're not, so you're a friend. Which is great, because Yugi deserves more friends than just me. Even if I do get jealous.” She tugged at him. “Let's get going. I don't want to waste any more time.”