Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 46

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“I have something you might be interested in today!” Sugoroku reached under the counter. “This is an ancient Egyptian game. Two players race their pieces around the board shaped like a frog.”
 
“Ancient Egypt. Huh.” Jou took it and played with the pegs. “They had games way back then… does it look familiar, Yugi?” He held it out to him.
 
“We could try and play sometime, if he would like us to,” Anzu volunteered. They were in Yugi's grandfather's shop, she didn't want to mention Yami's name when anyone could walk in.
 
Just as she thought that, the bell rang, signaling someone coming into the shop. “Welcome!” Sugoroku greeted them.
 
“Hello Yugi!”
 
“Ah, Imori!” Yugi smiled back.
 
“You know him, Yugi?”
 
“Yup! He's in our class.” I haven't spoken to Imori a lot, but if he's coming to our store maybe this is my chance to make friends with him!
 
“I heard your family runs a game store, Yugi. There's something I want you to take a look at.”
 
Yugi and Sugoroku both looked interested.
 
“This is it!” Imori plopped the pot down on the counter.
 
“What the heck is this?” It was weirding Jou out. Something not right here…
 
“Some kind of strange box…” It's magic, Yami! Right?
 
Yes. Yami examined the swirls of power. Dangerous magic. Game magic.
 
Sugoroku had a look of shocked recognition.
 
“My grandfather picked it up when he was in Manchuria during World War II!” Imori explained. “My grandfather was a game collector. The other day, I discovered this jar in the shed. I thought Mr. Motou might know what it is, so that's why I'm here.”
 
“It looks very strange…”
 
“It looks like one of those urns you keep people's ashes in.” Jou grimaced. “Can I open it, Imori?” He wouldn't let anyone say Jou was a scaredy cat!
 
“Go ahead! I haven't touched it yet.”
 
“Don't open that!” Sugoroku yelled.
 
“Huh?” Jou was nonplussed. So he was right about it being creepy after all?
 
“I'm sorry for yelling at you, but you mustn't break this seal!” Sugoroku slid the pot over to his side of the counter, his hands shielding the others from it. “This is an ancient Chinese game called `Dragon Cards!' I've heard rumors, but this is the first time I've seen it…”
 
Dragon cards? “Is that anything like Duel Monsters, Grandpa?” Magical cards…
 
Imori looked intrigued.
 
“It's written that the dragon cards were used by a Taoist Master as a final test for Feng Shui students in China!”
 
“Feng Shui?” Anzu asked doubtfully. “You mean that thing where you rearrange furniture?” She believed in magic now, but… well, it wasn't that much of a stretch.
 
“Feng Shui is a form of magic that uses the energies of nature. It's been gradually systematized since China's Golden Age, four thousand years ago.”
 
“So why were these Dragon Cards sealed away?” Anzu asked, a little worried now. Well, Yami was magic, so… but Yugi's Grandfather seemed really, really worried.
 
“You know about the concept of Yin and Yang in Chinese philosophy. Yin means shadow and Yang means light, in other words everything in the world is a balance between light and dark! Right now, these Dragon Cards are Yin-shadow! The seal surrounding the Dragon Cards is Yang-light-creating a balance! If the seal on the Dragon Cards were broken, the Yin and Yang would clash creating a warped power!” In his old days, he would have ripped the seal off as soon as he found these cards. Back when he had been questing after the ultimate game. Now, however, he had a grandson to think of.
 
Even if that grandson was certainly safer around these cards than he was.
 
Light and shadow, Yugi wondered. Like us, but we're not warped.
 
It sounds intriguing. There are spirits tied to it… Yami felt the nature of the game. It is indeed a shadow game, a game where one risks everything.
 
Jou told himself not to back away from the pot. Gramps was an expert, and Yugi was standing right next to him. Safest place to be.
 
“Imori, was it?” Sugoroku pulled his gaze away from the game to meet Yugi's classmate's eyes. “These Dragon Cards are sealed away along with the power of the shadows! Promise me! You must never break that seal!”
 
“Yes, of course!” Imori nodded.
 
Dragon Cards, I wonder what sort of game they are?
 
Yami shrugged. It is not our game.
 
Imori took his game back and smiled excitedly at it. Heh, he thought to himself, power of the shadows?
 
A few days later, their PE class went in the pool. Yugi cast the spell to hide his Puzzle in another space so he could keep Yami with him, as always.
 
Jou chased a girl underwater. Yugi laughed then noticed Imori. He was sitting out of the lesson today. Was he sick? He looked puzzled.
 
Afterwards, they went to the changing room to change back. “Summer was made for the pool!” Jou chatted excitedly. “Good for the body, good for the heart, and easy on the eyes!”
 
“That felt good!” Yugi agreed. Did you have a fun time?
 
He had let Yami take over to swim a bit. No one but Jou and Honda had noticed. Yami swam well.
 
Yes, Yugi. Yami hugged him in thanks. Yugi smiled at him.
 
I'm glad. I love to do fun things with you. It's a shame you couldn't have come out. We could have played a game.
 
Yugi reached his cubby and noticed there was a note on top of his clothes.
 
The note read, “I challenge you to a game! Come to room C and don't tell anyone about this!” The note was signed `Messenger of Darkness.'
 
Yugi's eyes widened. Messenger of Darkness?
 
Yami shrugged. We cannot turn down a challenge.
 
Do you think it's another Millennium Item holder? Since the Items are of darkness.
 
I do not know.
 
Well, we'll find out. It's lunch right now.
 
“Yugi, what's wrong?” Jou asked, having glanced over and seen Yugi distracted.
 
“It's nothing.”
 
Yugi hurried over to room C.
 
Imori?
 
“I've been waiting for you, Yugi.” Imori was sitting at a desk with another chair on the other side of it. On the desk was something covered by a white cloth.
 
“Imori?”
 
“You know, Yugi, I've been interested in you for a while. Don't worry, not in a weird way,” Imori assured him after Yugi looked repelled. “You could say I look up to you.”
 
Why?
 
“You used to be bullied by everyone. But one day you got the Millennium Puzzle,” Imori pointed to it, now visible again around Yugi's neck. “And gained the powers of darkness. Isn't that right, Yugi?”
 
Yugi stared in shock. How did Imori know about the Puzzle?
 
“My grandfather left me all sorts of books about games and books on ancient Egypt. At first I didn't think there was any connection, but then I found the secret of the Millennium Puzzle! It was written in that book, `The one who solves the Millennium Puzzle shall gain the thousand ways of the Shadow Games and become the Guardian of Darkness.'”
 
Yugi started. “Can I… can I see that book?” Guardian of Darkness. Shadow Games. Maybe this book will have clues to your past, Yami!
 
Yami nodded.
 
Imori ignored the question. “I swore to myself I'd defeat you, Yugi and take your place as the Guardian of Darkness!”
 
He pulled the covering off, revealing the Dragon Cards. “You can't turn down a challenge! So you have to face me in this shadow game!”
 
Yugi was partly horrified, but part of him was eager for the challenge.
 
Imori was laughing in his eagerness. “I release the shadow power!” As he untied the cords sealing the Dragon Cards wisps of power came from the pot and filled the room before disappearing.
 
This is not good! Yugi felt horrified.
 
Yami grimaced. That was a curse.
 
On us?
 
Worse.
 
“After my visit to your shop, I did some research on the Dragon Cards in a text about Ancient China. According to it, once the seal on the Dragon Cards is broken, a shadow game must be played or the people of the land will suffer eternal disaster!”
 
“What?!”
 
“There is only one way to replace the seal on the Dragon Cards. The loser of the game must offer his soul to this soul-eating jar to calm the wrath of the cards!”
 
Offer his soul? Is there any other way?
 
If it is the rules of the game, there is not.
 
Poor Imori… even if he wants to take you away from me, he doesn't deserve that!
 
Yami bowed his head. The rules are the rules. The world is not always kind.
 
Yugi hugged him. You've suffered so much… Guardian of Darkness, right? I'll protect you! You'll stay with me.
 
Thank you.
 
“Yugi! Don't try to back out! You can't escape the Dragon Cards!” Imori opened the box to reveal the cards themselves.
 
Yugi sat down across from him, feeling nervous. This was a game he had never played before! Unless Imori cheated, he wouldn't automatically win.
 
Also, this game was warped. He could feel it confusing his instincts. His head felt funny already, and he knew it was just going to get worse.
 
Yami reached to support him, but drew back. I cannot aid you! This is your challenge, for the Puzzle. I am sorry! The Puzzle wasn't letting him.
 
No help from Yami? That wasn't good. Yugi told himself to be brave. He could protect Yami, he would!
 
“Let me explain the rules of Dragon Cards.”
 
Phew. So Imori was going to explain the rules?
 
That was fair of him. He could have gotten away with leaving Yugi completely in the dark. It was his fault for getting into a game he didn't even know the rules of in the first place.
 
Imori was being fair? That was good. But, on the other, hand, it wasn't good. Poor Imori… Yugi wished there was another way to sate the cards. He could feel their hunger.
 
He told himself he should be worrying about himself and Yami. Still…
 
The warped power kept rising. He was protecting himself against most of it, and he still felt like this. What was it doing to Imori? He looked.
 
Imori was… growing stronger, the power was feeding him. The game had chosen him as a game master? Maybe because he was the one who had unleashed it?
 
Not good. Very not good.
 
He could feel Yami was even more worried than he was. Also not a good sign.
 
There were five elements and five strengths of card, and they had to collect two sets of three to summon two dragons. The player whose dragons won defeated the other.
 
It couldn't be that simple.
 
“Now, Game Start!” Imori looked certain of victory. “First we each draw six cards!”
 
I have to believe in myself for this duel!
 
Even if he didn't have Yami, and Imori surely had studied this game intensely before challenging Yugi for the Puzzle. There were probably all sorts of tricks and secrets Imori knew that he would have to do his best to guess.
 
Probably what element the dragons were gave the dragons advantages…
 
Imori drew the first card, rejoicing that it was a level four water dragon card, giving him two of them. He discarded a card from his hand, laying it face up.
 
Okay, this card looks pretty good. And the elements, some beat others, like rock paper scissors. So I have to keep track of what he discards.
 
It's just a game, Yugi assured himself. A game like any other. And I'm a game master. I solved the Millennium Puzzle.
 
And if I can't beat one gamer who doesn't even have magic, I don't deserve to keep Yami.
 
Even if the dragons in these cards aren't my allies. Yet. Even if Yami isn't allowed to help me and I can barely feel him right now. So alone. It almost hurt, he was so used to Yami's warm and dark presence in his soul. He needed to finish this quick so Yami didn't have to spend a lot of time in the Puzzle.
 
Poor Yami… Yugi knew he would need to comfort him when he got out. Yami hated the Puzzle. Yugi hoped he didn't have flashbacks. That would be horrible. Was he… No! He couldn't be being tortured now! There was just a faint feeling, anxious and a little scared but no pain. Yugi had to keep it that way!
 
I will win!