Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 55

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh.
 
Everyone, if you like this chapter thank NKingy, who wrote the 1001st review of this story, and all the people who reviewed before them to make that review the 1001st. I'm really amazed and gratified by how many people like my first real story. There were some difficulties but the request ended up being for Seto & Seth. NKingy, I hope you like this.
 
Also, I know a lot of you are going to be disappointed that I don't take things to the point where Zorc is destroyed and Yami is freed, etc. Well, you can imagine it… or you can write it yourself. If anyone wants to do fics set in the DYDOM universe, you have my blessing, provided you review saying you are, or PM me, so I can put a link to the fic up on my bio. That's what I do with the other bunnies that get continued in the Danny Phantom fandom, so I just thought I'd offer. Hope it doesn't seem too arrogant, me thinking that someone would want to do fic of a fic.
 
-
 
“Kaiba Corporation's status as the number one gaming company is based on my status as Duel Monsters Champion. We're still the top, but my loss has hurt our stock prices. That is not acceptable.” Seto swiveled his chair around to face the couch in his office. To face Seth and Mokuba, who sat on it.
 
“Even before Yami you weren't the greatest Duel Monsters player,” Seth reminded him.
 
“Pegasus. That's why I never dueled him.” Seto nodded. “Even if I had, loosing to the creator of the game is one thing. Loosing to a complete unknown has dropped our share prices.”
 
“The first time he beat you, well, the first time at Death-T and that's the only time you've dueled him that the public knows about, he drew Exodia in his first hand. For someone who doesn't understand game magic, that will look like pure luck.”
 
Seto nodded. “No one would have had a chance. That's not the duel that damaged my status. The second duel was you, not me, and that's the one `I' lost. Thank you so much for that.” The Seto Glare's impact was lessened by a slight smile.
 
Mokuba grinned. Big brother was joking! It wasn't much of a joke, and it would have been hurtful if Seth didn't understand, but the more he saw of the new Seto the more he liked him. He was still Seto, not some pod person. He still had scars and was prickly because of that bastard Gozaburo.
 
“Oh, you'd prefer people thinking the shock of losing put you into a coma? You know, that's what's happened both times you've lost.”
 
“Losing was a shock to my system. I'm not used to losing,” Seto acknowledged. “And I have no plans to get used to losing to anyone other than Yami.”
 
Seth nodded. “Of course not. Yami and I were rivals, I know that.”
 
“I don't see how ancient history… explain.” Seto realized Seth had been making a point.
 
“One person winning all the time gets boring after a while. People want to see them taken down a peg. Also, winning makes you weak.”
 
Winning makes you… explain.” Anyone else Seto would have considered insane for saying that.
 
“Think of it like any other sort of strength. If you don't push your limits, if you aren't challenged, you don't improve. In fact, you get arrogant. Arrogance weakens you.”
 
Seto thought for a moment and nodded. “I know fighting Gozaburo forced me to improve.”
 
“It was exciting, wasn't it?”
 
“Exciting?” Mokuba stared at Seth.
 
“Yes,” Seto acknowledged, waiting for the point.
 
“You have the strength to survive challenges. Most do not. But they like to see challenges. That is the basis of sports, after all. The spectators have no benefit from the contest, but they care about the outcome. There are many who cheered for you. Wouldn't they want to see you duel Yugi again?”
 
“If I duel him too soon I'll just lose again.”
 
“You're good. And getting better now you can tap the heart of the cards. My duel against Yami almost used up both our decks. You could do the same. Wouldn't that be exciting?”
 
“You're saying if I duel Yugi again and it's hard for him to beat me that will fix the problem with the shares?”
 
“The worlds two greatest duelists, battling it out again and again. Duels that no other save this Pegasus could possibly match. A famous rivalry.”
 
“And if I beat every other duelist who faces me that will also show I haven't lost the edge.” Seto nodded slowly. “You're saying I can work this to my advantage.”
 
“Other companies have already offered to sponsor Yugi, Yami informs me. He has refused those offers.”
 
Seto scowled. “If some competitor got a hold of him…”
 
“They won't. In fact, he's willing to be sponsored by Kaiba Corporation.”
 
Seto steepled his fingers. “That's perfect. I would be able to control where and when I dueled him, Kaiba Corporation would get the prestige of his victories. The world's top two duelists both backing Kaiba Corporation. This could actually increase our stock prices.”
 
“If it's handled correctly. And I'm sure you can do that.”
 
“It'll be easy.” Seto nodded. “Thank you.”
 
Mokuba grinned again. Seto said thank you!
 
“I won't even have to organize a tournament. Pegasus is doing it for me. He's sent out invitations to a special tournament called Duelist Kingdom. When Yugi and I take first and second place and our duel is broadcast worldwide… the winner duels Pegasus.”
 
“The creator of a game incorporating ancient magic. How powerful is he? He will certainly have very powerful allies. Will Yami be able to defeat him?”
 
Seto frowned. “I've seen him duel. A month ago I would have told you no one could beat him. He knew exactly what Bandit Keith was going to play, and the monitoring for cheating was done by Kaiba Corporation. There's no way he could have hidden cheating from my system. He's just that good at predicting opponents moves and cards.”
 
“If he has a Millennium Item it might be the Millennium Eye.” Seth frowned.
 
“What?”
 
“There's something about the Millennium Eye…” He shook his head. Not important now. This was a strategy meeting. Strategy… he knew strategy. “I'll be able to find out tomorrow if he has an Item.”
 
“What power does the Eye have? Can it see through things? Now that I think about it… Pegasus' hair always covers one of his eyes.”
 
“The Eye reads minds.” Seth scowled at the thought.
 
“The scrolls I found said it granted the sight of the gods and the Rod controlled men's minds.” Seto gestured and it appeared in his hand. “It controls memories.”
 
“It's very versatile. Pegasus is meeting with the Big Five tomorrow.”
 
“What?! Why didn't you tell me?”
 
“He's making the calls as we speak. I took the memories from the heads of the two he has called.”
 
“How can you do that? I have the Rod.”
 
“I'm still connected to it. They're our puppets now.”
 
Seto unsheathed and sheathed the Rod's dagger, examining how it glinted while he thought. “Industrial Illusions is dependant on Kaiba Corporation for dueling arena technology. We have a few competitors, but they would loose millions of dollars of investments if their contract with us expired and they had to scrap their systems. Not to mention I hold all the patents. Pegasus must want control over my company.”
 
“He could simply be trying to help you. After all, if your company goes under he would also loose all that money,” Seth suggested.
 
Silence for a moment. Seto always thought the worst.
 
That was his brother, as he'd been since their parents had died and their relatives had abandoned them. Since long before Gozaburo. Not trusting anyone until they had proven themselves and always looking after their interests.
 
Mokuba didn't want his brother to change totally. Little things like this reassured him.
 
Seth had the rod. Seth controlled memories. Seth could change his brother.
 
Seth was teaching Seto how to defend himself as fast as Seto's busy schedule would allow.
 
“Perhaps,” Seto acknowledged grudgingly.
 
Seth shrugged. “You know him better than I. Simply a suggestion.”
 
Seth deferred to Seto.
 
“Still, meeting with my subordinates and not me. Pegasus knows I'm not just a figurehead.”
 
“Only an idiot would think you're a figurehead!” Mokuba agreed.
 
Seto smiled slightly, then became serious again. “He could be planning a hostile takeover, in which case he would need the Big Five on his side. They're the only people besides Mokuba and I with any power over Kaiba Corporation.”
 
“And now they don't even have power over themselves.” Seth and Seto shared a look and Mokuba was struck again by just how alike they were. They looked even more alike than Yami and Yugi.
 
He had two big brothers! Cool! Although Seth wasn't quite as cool as Seto.
 
“Running a company doesn't seem that different from wars or ruling a kingdom. There are always traitors.” Seth's eyes seemed to glaze over for a second. They did that, Mokuba had noticed, when he was trying to reach for some memory.
 
Mokuba thought the Items were just as bad as Gozaburo. He didn't want them anywhere near Seto. But he wanted to keep Seth, and Seth was stuck in the Item. And the Item had power Seto could use to keep them safe and in control. So… he still didn't like them.
 
“They're going to meet tomorrow?” Seto asked to confirm.
 
“Yes.” Seth nodded. “While you're in a meeting. I will listen in.”
 
“Good.” Seto nodded. “We might even want to make it seem like the Big Five agree with whatever he's plotting, if he's plotting something,” the last was given as an acknowledgement of Seth's statement, “and see if we can wring any advantage out of it.”
 
“If he has the Eye he will know about the tampering I have done.”
 
“If he has the Eye he might be on our side. He might have a spirit like you. One Pegasus would be hard enough to beat in a duel. He might be controlled like Bakura was.” Seto looked thoughtful.
 
“Controlled? Bakura?” Mokuba asked. “You mean the guy whose house you went over to with Yugi to play that game? He had an Item?” Seto's eyes suddenly focused on him. Clearly he'd said something he hadn't wanted Mokuba to hear. “Tell me, big brother! I want to help you!”
 
“Yes, Bakura had an Item. The spirit challenged us to a shadow game and we won with Bakura's help,” Seth explained.
 
“There's more to it, isn't there?” Mokuba looked back and forth at them.
 
Seth nodded. “My soul was placed in a figurine and Seto had to roll the dice for me.”
 
“You won, right?” Both times Seth had lost a shadow game he'd been in a lot of trouble, and that was even with Yami, who gave him the penalties, trying to help and not hurt.
 
“Yes,” Seto assured him. “Although Yami did most of the work.”
 
“You're improving, Seto,” Seth assured him.
 
“I know I am. But he had years to practice, and so did you. I am not going to spend years challenging him. I'm going to beat him. Soon.”
 
“I'm looking forward to it.” Matching smiles.
 
“If that's everything,” Seto looked at the clock, “Let's practice.” He took out two decks and walked over to give Seth his.
 
“Can I watch?” Mokuba pleaded.
 
Seth looked at Seto.
 
“Until your bedtime,” Seto mandated.
 
“Ah! You stay up until midnight!” And got up earlier than Mokuba.
 
“I've had practice.” Seto wasn't going to budge.
 
Mokuba looked at the clock. “But I'm not going to get to see the whole duel!”
 
“I'll tell you how it ends, Mokuba.” Mokuba knew he would, Seto had the last time, and it was nice to have Seto tell him stories. Now that Seto was less… now Seto was better Mokuba wanted to learn Duel Monsters. Seto wouldn't despise him for being a beginner or view him as competition and therefore an enemy. It still made Mokuba furious and sad, what Gozaburo had done to Seto.
 
“Alright.” Mokuba followed them to the house's dueling arena.
 
He noticed that Seto didn't ask to cut Seth's deck. One more tiny sign that he was better.
 
“Game start,” Seto declared and the duel began. Mokuba watched avidly. “Wow! The last upgrades you created really made the holograms better, big brother!” He hadn't really noticed at Death-T.
 
Seto smiled at Mokuba before his game face turned back on and he focused his iron will and concentration on the duel.
 
Until it was time for Mokuba to go to bed.
 
Seto actually tucked him in now! And turned off the light and turned on his alarm clock. Seto made sure he went to school instead of playing hooky.
 
Seto actually cared.
 
And it was all thanks to Yami and Seth. Mokuba closed his eyes, happy.
 
Seth had waited outside the door for Seto. They nodded at each other and returned to the duel. They didn't need to exchange words. They both understood about caring for someone.