Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Haima ❯ Chapter 7: Cards of Destiny ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Title: Haima
Author: Nekocin
Email: Neko_cin_6@hotmail.com
Genres: Various---> Action and Romance as main genres (I hope Romance wouldn't be so screwed up >.>).
Type: AU
Anime: Yu-gi-oh
Warnings: Shounen-ai, Violence. Maybe some OOC. In this chapter OOC and bad description ^^;;.
Pairings: Seto+Jou... here none
Rated: PG-13
Disclaimer: Anime in question doesn't belong to me. Never was. Never will.
Author's notes:
~_~ Still no sign of those two >_> *points at Seto and Katsuya* Sorry. But still it's a police fic, right? This story had to have some police action, right? Anyways I'm not quite happy with the results of this chapter >_> and sorry no Seto+Jou fluff. And uh... Otogi fans please skip this chapter or just don't read this one at all *laughs nervously* ^-^;; I swear the guy is way OOC.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 7: Cards of destiny

8:50 AM ~ one week later ~

"GET BACK TO WORK!!" agent Haku shouted impatiently when he caught his fellow-officers sitting lazily on their desks, talking about the latest news of the upcoming festival.

"If agent Haku is still scolding us about getting back to work, his hair will some day turn white before he reach age thirty [1]" Katsuya muttered under his breath as he sat on his chair.
"Onii-chan!" Shizuka scolded with a shaky smile. Agent Bakura sniggered with a hand over his mouth.
"What? It's the truth!" Katsuya said innocently with his widened eyes as he grabbed for his pen.

Agent Haku shot him a vicious glare from across his desk opposite of agent Bakura, making Katsuya freeze in place.
"Shut up and get back to work, rookie!" agent Haku hissed and shot another glare into agent Bakura's direction. Ryou swallowed and dropped his eyes.

Katsuya began writing his report as he marveled around about his days with station 6. According to his temporary partner Yami, Katsuya was doing great in the practical world.
He snorted mentally. He must be better doing practical police work than theoretical police work.

There were no more signs of rookies being killed unless one counted the messages along. Everything was sort of 'normal'. The only abnormalities, he'd noticed along with agent Honda, agent Masaki and agent Kujaku, were the behaviours of the three top agents from agent 6.
The three top agents as in the elder ones in their group: agent Haku, agent Yuuki and agent Ishtar [2].
But everyone just shrugged it away all the while thinking that maybe they were getting too old for the police job. Besides those three were of higher level, maybe the stress...

The chief glanced up from his newspaper occasionally and smirked. Sometimes his officers were still too clueless to even acknowledge his presence in the room. They got used to his usual absence since agent Haku and agent Yuuki were the only ones ordering them to work.

Speaking of agent Yuuki. Where is that agent?

He sighed unconsciously and glanced at the rookie of his station. He marveled at the idea how brash the rookie was in the practical world. Maybe he was too familiar with the crimes in his area. And yet the rookie was still green...
His gaze fell on Shizuka, the rookie's sister. She must be some wonderful person that made the rookie so protective of her.

A secretive smirk grazed his lips and he rubbed his chin absentmindedly. He felt today was going to be a wonderful day. The warm feeling oozed out of his heart, spreading over his chest. Tonight, something great was going to happen. The chief closed his newspaper and entwined his fingers together.
He cleared his throat and announced, "Everyone, may I please have your undivided attention?"

Everyone in the room looked surprised and confused at him.

"Good" he smiled and looked serious. "It's been about a week since you've been working on your reports during my absence. Am I right?"
a few affirmative nods came, afterwards.

The chief smiled and stood up. "Why don't you all check out the streets and stretch those limbs" [3]

*~*~*~*~*~

9:01 AM

"I wonder if there's a purpose behind kachou's announcement" agent Mutou wondered out loud as Katsuya and Shizuka followed him down the stairs.
"Maybe he pities our fingers?" Katsuya suggested and looked sourly at his fingers.

From behind the corners, the chief was leaning casually against the walls and smirked.

*~*~*~*~*~

9:10 AM

The trio neared the vehicles of station 6. Katsuya spotted someone leaning against his temporary car and growled, "What are you doing here, Otogi?"

The agent opened his eyes and smiled brightly at the rookie.
"Hey, Katsuya, Shizuka-san. I overheard the chief sending you all on your way to the streets so I was wondering if I can be of any company"
Otogi pushed himself away from the car and straightened his stance. Both of them stared levelly at one another.

Yugi looked at both officers with slight confusion. The way they'd addressed each other was like as if they were hating one another. He didn't really see the rookie as someone who could make enemies with the most laid back officer from station 3. Something must be wrong.

Jounouchi sighed and eyed Otogi's attire.
"You're in your uniform. Are you allowed to drop your work just to accompany us?"
Otogi shrugged casually and smiled secretly at Shizuka, who looked oblivious at them.

"Fine. Fine. Let's get going. Shizuka, you go with agent Mutou. I feel bad about leaving you alone right now, Yugi-kun. I guess agent Ishtar is still in a trance, whatever trance that is" Katsuya tuned to his sister and Yugi.
Shizuka brightened a bit. She could really get a bit independent on her brother. It just didn't feel right to stay with onii-chan all the time. She was old enough to be called an adult. Besides, her brother had other things to worry about like there's a killer out there going after rookie officers.

"Don't worry about me, onii-chan. I'll be good" Shizuka smiled. Katsuya waved it away with an affectionate pat on her shoulder. He shot Otogi a look and pushed the other officer into the car. "Let's go"

Not long afterwards the small police car went into the streets.
"I thought you said you trust Shizuka-san to no one" Otogi pouted.

"I did. But of course I know Shizuka will be fine with agent Mutou. He wouldn't do anything brash anyways" Katsuya responded and made a turn. "So what do you want?"

"I'm surprised the inspector and agent Yuuki aren't here with you" Otogi looked over his seat, trying to see if one of Katsuya's superiors were around.

"I can take care of most stuff myself" Katsuya huffed and rounded another corner.

"Good to hear that. Now let's go to the back in your area" Otogi sat back lazily and laced his fingers together behind the back of his head.

"Why?" Katsuya's question was left unanswered.

*~*~*~*~*~

9:00 AM

Agent Yuuki was crossing his arms over his chest as he leaned back in his chair.

"I see that most of the message were easy" he said sternly and looked at the piece of paper with various scribbles here and there.
He was sitting across inspector Kaiba's desk in the inspector's office, wearing the same rebellious clothes as last time. It had been a few days they'd managed to put everything together. An unsuspicious rookie had already suggested parts of the riddles

"Maybe too easy" the inspector added and looked over at the scribbles on his piece of notepaper.

"Have you told Jounouchi-san about it? The flowers and such" Yami looked over at the inspector, who shook his head. Negative.

"That night he fell asleep on us, he'd been too clueless to figure his own words out"

Yami nodded in understanding and took the piece of paper with his scribbles off the desk. "We can use his unsuspected mind to capture the killer"

"What about the other?" the inspector didn't like to ask for approval but he had to ask the agent.

"Human lives are valuable. We just have to wait and see. Besides shouldn't station 3 also be on the look out? Their rookie is just as clueless as mine unless you count our rookie's attitude" Yami stood up and let his arms fall by his sides. "I've a feeling we might be getting closer..."

The inspector abruptly stood up. "You should be keeping an eye on them..."
The phone rang, cutting off the rest of his sentence.

"Hello, inspector Kaiba speaking" It came out automatically once he answered the phone.

"Aa... hey, what?... No... why?... It's today?... I can't really promise you that..."

Noting from the inspector's softened features Yami could only guess it's Mokuba on the other line. He gestured at the inspector just to get his attention and pointed at the door. He wanted to leave before anyone notice where he went. Yami waved vaguely and didn't look back to see if the inspector had acknowledged his departure.

It was nothing personal when both of them were working together just to solve the case before any more lives were taken. Just something mutual was there.
He grimaced slightly when he remembered not having the car with him. So taking walks wouldn't be that bad, right?

*~*~*~*~*~

9:30 AM

National Bank XXXX [4]

Otogi strode back to Jounouchi from the bank's director's officer with some trench coats in his possession.

Katsuya arched an eyebrow. "So... how did it go?"

Otogi winked and smiled, "Great actually. Now put these on before it begins"
The other officer passed Katsuya a trench coat and began slipping his arms into the other coat.

"Where did you get these? Why must we wear them? What's going to begin?" Katsuya prodded, furrowing his brows in confusion. He still didn't get Otogi's motive. The taller officer had told him to drive to the bank in his area and then pursued the director to do something for them. And that something was something unknown to Katsuya.

Otogi forced Katsuya into the trench coat and answered good-naturedly. "I've asked the director to lend some spare trench coats to us. They can hide our uniforms long enough if one doesn't strip that is. As for your last question... you just have to wait and see"


Katsuya nodded absentmindedly and looked around for anyone who might have caught a glimpse of them slipping into coats. Luckily no one in particular was paying attention to them. The bankers were helping out their impatient clients with anything related to the bank. But unless one counted the security cameras, they were definitely being watched.

"Try not to look too suspicious" Otogi whispered and strode gracefully past Jounouchi. Katsuya stood there, blinking.

Out of nowhere someone seized him from behind and a gun was pointed at his head. The rookie couldn't help but gasped. Feeling the unexpected action had shot his heartbeat into a race.

"EVERYBODY FREEZE! NOBODY MOVE!" A deep voice from behind him called out. A few masked men entered the building and closed the glassed doors just in case anyone wanted to move. Five men to be exact.
One of them had even outnumbered the security guars with a jabs in their faces.

A gun was pointed randomly around as the masked man pulled Katsuya towards the counter. The clients quivered nervously with their wide eyes and some even began to shake helplessly.

"Empty the safes! One wrong move and I'LL BLOW YOUR BRAINS OUT!" The man threatened.

"Y-yes, s-sir"

Katsuya's eyes were still wide with fear. He winced inwardly when the man behind him threatened the poor lady behind the desk. His eyes darted around frantically searching for an escape. Cold sweat trailed down his spine as he felt his heart panicking. His stomach dropped at the thought of having his brains blown out of his head.

Where was that Otogi?

He gritted his teeth as the man took him along, impatiently. The robber aimed for something Jounouchi couldn't see and pulled the trigger.
He flinched visibly hearing the booming shots much clearer than expected. He faintly heard some breaking and wondered if the man had shot the cameras.

Somewhere in the background he heard some people cry out in shock and fear. Jounouchi could imagine the people getting down on the floor while clamping their hands over their ears.
How the hell did Otogi know the bank was going to be robbed? Was he behind the scheme?

Katsuya prayed he would if he ever got out of there alive, he would kill Otogi for this.

"DON'T MOVE!" One of the robbers threatened and the other robbers held their guns ready. Someone was approaching them.
The rookie's eyes went wide with fear again once he saw Otogi approaching them slowly.

"Let the kid go... dare to shoot me..." Otogi said with a smile.
The smile unnerved Katsuya to no end. The other officer must be silently laughing at his misfortune.

"Who are you to say?" the man holding Jounouchi hostage, growled and pointed dangerously at the rookie's head. Otogi chuckled and shook his head. "Why don't you call out your men and give yourself over to the police then nothing bad will happen" [5] Otogi smiled seriously and stuck his hand into the coat. Suddenly the gun was aimed at his chest.

"Just cards" Otogi smiled mysteriously and took out a stack of cars. Jounouchi glared holes into the other's head more in confusion though. What's the idiot thinking? What's with the cards? Was Otogi using him as a shield too?

"What kind of cards?" The robber asked curiously, noticing the differences between just playing cards and the kid's cards.

"Tarot, my friend. I'll checked your card..." Otogi smirked as he took out a card without turning it around. The look on Otogi's face mad it clear that he knew what he's doing. Confidence was radiating from his body, Katsuya noted sarcastically.

"Wipe that smirk off your face, boy. I don't like it one bit" the gun was still aimed at Otogi's chest.

The card in Otogi's choosing hand was flipped around and descended on to the tiled floor.

"...Death...," Katsuya whispered and furrowed his brows. He had no idea what the 'Death card' meant and just assumed it meant the death of someone. Most likely the one holding him from behind [6].

Suddenly Otogi flung a pair of dices into the robber's face and jumped for cover. Now he hoped the rookie would get the idea.

The man holding the rookie grunted angrily.

As confused as Katsuya might be, he didn't like being helpless. Once he heard the man behind him cursed in pain, he elbowed him hard in the ribs. Katsuya whirled around and quickly grabbed for the gun. In the process of gaining dominance over the robber, Katsuya had to twist the armed arm around and seize the man from behind. The rookie struggled to get the man down and instantly kicked at the man's feet.
The robber let out a yelp as he toppled over. He felt someone was sitting on his back, keeping him down.

"You're under arrest" Katsuya smirked. He'd wanted to say that in a long time.

He looked for Otogi. The other officer was taking care of the rest of the robbers.
He threw dices as weapons?, Katsuya frowned.
Otogi smirked at Katsuya's direction and held up a stick. It was as if he'd read Katsuya' s thoughts. He slammed the stick into one of the robbers' ribs [7].

*~*~*~*~*~

10:30 AM

You knew about the robbery, didn't you?" Katsuya glared at Otogi and crossed his arms disapprovingly over his chest. They were back in revealing their usual blue police uniform.
After the supposed robbers had been taken away Katsuya kept glaring daggers at Otogi.

He, however, smirked good-naturedly at the rookie and laughed out loud.
"You should've seen your face! It was priceless!" Otogi hollered and slapped his thigh exaggeratingly just to prove his point how funny he meant.

Katsuya furrowed his brows and pointed an accusing finger at Otogi's chest.
"That's NOT funny! You were behind all that weren't you? You should be ashamed of yourself. Wearing this uniform do you no justice in protecting human lives [8]" Katsuya ranted and poked harshly at Otogi's chest. The rookie stomped towards his small police car.

Otogi flinched a little and laughed nervously. "You got it all wrong, Jounouchi-san. I didn't really know you were going to be he hostage. I'd used cards to display the unpredictable future and I sort of checked your cards. 'Wheels of Fortune' came out. It means you just either have misfortunes or fortunes today... [6]" He explained while following the rookie closely. Katsuya rolled his eyes.

"Just great!" he muttered. "Let a card reader predict my future. All gibberish! [9]"

Otogi looked hurt by that comment. All chances of wooing the rookie's sister had zeroed. There was no option to be approved by her big brother. He hung his head in defeat.

As they neared the car Katsuya gasped out and his eyes widened. "How...?"

Otogi looked confused at the rookie and then at the car. He looked just as surprised as Katsuya. Inside the car there were bushes of flowers. Red roses and blue violets.

Katsuya narrowed his eyes and whirls around, searching for whoever might be keeping an eye on them. Chances were that the sender of the flowers might still be around.

He slumped his shoulders and sighed. Negative. Someone must be playing tricks with them.

"Someone broke into your car and left them" Otogi pointed out at the damaged window.
The glass shards were either on the ground or in the car.

"Heh! What's with people nowadays? It's too obvious they broke into the car. They must have done that on purpose" Katsuya grumbled and opened the door, where the window had been broken, to the front seat.
"Kachou will definitely be mad"

He searched the car for a small broom and carefully brushed the shards away from the front seats. Whoever's stalking him was really getting a bit too obsessed. Couldn't this admirer just leave the flowers on his doorstep? It was kind of creepy to find the flowers in his car as if this certain someone was keeping an eye on his every move.

"I think we should leave the car back at the station. There's no telling if someone's going to steal this cheap car" Otogi commented as he leaned casually against the car, watching Katsuya brush away the shards.

"This lovey-dovey thing is getting on my nerves" Katsuya growled and took the flowers. He instantly dumped them in a nearby thrash can and stepped into the driver's seat.

"Isn't that a bit harsh?" Otogi arched an eyebrow once Katsuya had gotten into the car. "What if you're breaking her heart just by doing that?"

"Do I care?! I'm in the middle of "working-my-way-up-to-become-an-agent"… hopefully. I've no time for this secretive love stuff" Katsuya pointed out irritatingly and turned on the ignition.

Click.

"Oh shit!"

Not long afterwards the car exploded.

*.*.*.*.* End chapter 7*.*.*.*.*

Endnotes:

1: ^^;; Isn't his hair already white?
2: ^^;; Let's just say they're the oldest of the group, but not really counted as grandfathers yet. Let's just say their ages are around the 30+. So they don't really have white hair yet unless you count Yami Bakura's hair as some aging process ^_^;; *hides*
3: Must be very hard to see Pegasus as someone like that, ne? ^_^;;
4: Uhm... *scratches head* I haven't been doing my homework lately so I don't really know any banks. So please just see it as some savings bank.
5: *laughs nervously* ehehehe... isn't he a bit too unreasonable? How ironic is that sentence >_> *hides from Otogi fans* I didn't mean to make him a bit weird.
6: *smiles innocently* I know it gets a bit more ironic. Those who know Tarot please forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but still there's a reason why I made it a bit clueless.
7: That's actually injustice. One just couldn't hurt another one unless it's in defense to protect oneself from the other. *Frowns at herself* why did I make Otogi this bad?
8: *whistles innocently* I didn't know how that came in there. *Points at Wufei from Gundam Wing* Maybe he did it?
9: -_- Please forgive me for putting that comment. Please don't take it offensive.

~_~ I told you this chapter is a bit disappointing. How weird was the middle section? I mean when the robber had a gun pointed at Jounouchi... it's just too unrealistic >_> I've tried my best to write it a bit realistic, but I think my mood didn't do any justice to that section ;_; Sorry. And uh... I've somehow found a lot of plot holes ;_; there are somewhere in this story, right? ;_; Sorry for overlooking some things too. And also... those long notes *hangs head* So sorry.

Edit: Went to check out this chapter and found some typos. I apologize for the inconvenience.

=^_^=cin