Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of the Cards, Guide Me ❯ The Search For Pegasus ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Yes, the usual. I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh. I do own Sakura, Meritaten, and Horemheb's name.
I was going to call this chapter 'Where Do You Find A Dead Man,' but that seemed too weird.

Chapter five: The Search For Pegasus

Chapter five: The Search For Pegasus

Yugi couldn't sleep that night. He lay in bed, his eyes wide open, Sakura's card in his hand. He was mentally punching himself for letting Sakura go. He knew it wasn't his fault, though.
He felt someone in his head before he heard her, though. Yugi? Meritaten asked.
Is that really you, Meritaten? How do you do that? Why are you here?
Meditation can do wonderful things, and when you've been trapped in a ring for five thousand years, you learn some tricks. As for why I'm here, I thought you might like a friend, Meritaten said.
How did Sakura do in the duel? Yugi asked.
She won. She went into Pegasus' head. And she called on Exodia again.
Yugi was amazed at what Sakura could do yet again. How did she put together Exodia? he asked Meritaten.
Interesting you asked. She put her trust in the heart of the cards. She has an amazing amount of will and trust, Meritaten said.
Yeah. Yugi sighed. I just wish I could have said goodbye.
Yugi? Could I talk to Pharaoh for a minute? Meritaten asked.
Meritaten, what is it? Pharaoh asked.
Why did you let him do it? I was told you just finished freeing all the souls that had been stolen. Why did you let him go against his word? Meritaten started crying again.
Meritaten, I…it was too late when I figured out what he was doing. Sakura is strong, though. She will hold on until we get her. She is a daughter of the Yamis, after all. A tool of fate. Pharaoh sounded sad and angry.
I hope you're right, Meritaten said.

Yugi was till awake at two in the morning. Sakura, I have failed you, but I will always love you, he thought.
He wasn't expecting what happened next He heard a voice in his head, Sakura's voice. You haven't failed yet. Never give up, Yugi. I love you, too, and always will. There was a touch of misery in her voice.
Yugi smiled. That had settled him deeply. Sakura's all right, he thought. Never give up. I won't Sakura, I promise.

Sakura heard the voice. Yugi's voice, saying, "Sakura, I have failed you, but I will always love you."
Sakura was suddenly happy, but was distressed at his words. So she reassured him, "you haven't failed yet. Never give up, Yugi. I love you, too, and always will."

The next day Meritaten, Tristan, Joey, Téa, and Bakura came over Yugi's house. They saw Yugi without his friendly smile and immediately asked what was the matter. Yugi decided to tell them Sakura style. "Pegasus and Sakura had duel for information on who her parents were. Sakura won but Pegasus went back on his word and stole Sakura's soul anyway."
"Why am I not surprised?" Joey asked.
"Who is that then? You look like a normal person, not a zombie," Tristan said.
"I am Meritaten, Yugi's Yami's wife, Meritaten said.
"Whoa, Yugi, you got a wife?" Joey said.
"No, stupid, weren't you listening? Yami's wife," Téa said. "So did Pegasus say why he stole Sakura's soul?"
"Because she was a threat to him," Meritaten said. "She was Pegasus' and someone else with a millennium item's daughter. Sakura's daughter of the Yamis, a tool of Fate."
"Whoa," Joey said.
"Deep," said Tristan.
"Pegasus' daughter!" Téa said.
"So how did you get her body, Meritaten?" Bakura had the millennium ring, so he understood the conversation quite well.
Meritaten took the ring out on its chain from under her plain white shirt. "My soul was in this ring," she said. "It was the only thing Sakura had of her mother's."
Everyone was silent for a while. Bakura was the first to speak up. "Being a child of the Yamis, Sakura must have a lot of power. She must not know about it," he said.
"Ironic," Yugi said.
"What?" Bakura asked, thinking, what did I say that's so ironic?
"Ironic that Sakura is a tool of Fate but everything always happens to her," Yugi said. A tear fell from Yugi's eye, down his face and onto the card that he was still holding. Yugi looked at it. There was Sakura, her green eyes blank, staring at nothing, giving away nothing of her life of bad luck. She looked lonely, with no book, no friends. Her pale skin and bright hair outlined the darkness around her.
"I will free her," Yugi said.
"And we'll all help," Téa said, and everybody nodded.

Sakura felt a drop of water on her arm. It was warm, not like rain. She was so thirsty she licked the water off her arm and was surprised to find it was salty. Why does it rain warm saltwater here? Sakura asked. But she was ready to believe anything now.

Yugi didn't know where to start. Yugi had thought Pegasus was dead. So where do you look for a dead man? At his grave!
"Do any of you know where Pegasus' grave is?" Yugi asked.
Everyone looked at him. "I thought you said he dueled and took Sakura's soul. You have to be alive for that. So why go to a grave?" Tristan asked.
"Actually, you don't really have to be alive," Meritaten said.
"I'm thinking Pegasus is alive and well. Come on, guys, does anybody even know where there's a graveyard around here?" Yugi asked.
A slight pause. Then Bakura spoke up. "I know where Pegasus' grave is," he said quietly.
Everybody followed Bakura to a little graveyard on a hill next to a white church. Bakura wove through the rows and stopped about three quarters of the way in, under a tree. There, a simple gray gravestone said: Maximillion Pegasus-May you have a peaceful journey.
"Now it kind of makes sense that it doesn't say rest in peace or here lies. He isn't here, is he?" Bakura asked.
Joey went to take a closer look at the stone, but he tripped on something. "Ouch," Joey said. He had kicked some dirt away. There was a metal object on the ground.
Meritaten bent down and brushed more dirt off. She found the outline of something square, about three feet by three feet. She looked back at the metal object. She grabbed it and pulled. The whole square came up. It was a trapdoor. A ladder went down into darkness.
Yugi went down the ladder. "Yugi! You don't even know if it's safe!" Téa said.
Yugi just kept climbing down. Meritaten followed. Joey went down next, then Tristan. Téa sighed and followed the others.
"Wait! It looks dark!" Bakura said, still safely above ground.
"Come on, Bakura!" Meritaten said.
Bakura sighed. "Here goes nothing," he said and started climbing down the ladder.