Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of the Cards, Guide Me ❯ Lovers In The Dark ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Do not own Yu-Gi-Oh. Do own Sakuura, Meritaten, and Horemheb's name.

Chapter six: Lovers In The Dark

At the bottom of the ladder, everyone looked around. Torches on dirt walls showed a pathway that curved after twenty feet or so. All the torches were held on the wall with skulls.
"Does this place remind you of somewhere?" Tristan asked.
"You mean like those creepy caves on the Duelist Kingdom island?" Téa asked.
Bakura cringed. "I just hope there aren't any skeletons down here," he said.
"We're under a graveyard. Don't get your hopes up," Meritaten said, not knowing what they were talking about.
Yugi didn't say anything, but started to walk forward. His shoes made a quiet tap-tap in the stillness. The tap-taps grew until Yugi could tell everyone was walking behind him.
Suddenly a skeleton fell from the ceiling and fell on Bakura's back. "Ahhh!" he screamed. "Get it off me, get it off me!"
"Not again," Téa said and wrestled the skeleton off Bakura's back. She had to wrestle not with the skeleton but with Bakura, who was running around like a madman and screaming like a girl. Eventually the skeleton was in pieces on the floor, Bakura with his back on the wall, panting, and Téa with a thigh bone in her hand. She made a small "yikes!" and threw it on the ground.
"Well, we've said it once and we'll say it again. Pegasus sure has one sick mind," Tristan said.
"Are you alright, Bakura?" Yugi asked.
"Yeah, I am now. Thanks, Téa," Bakura said.
"The sooner we find Pegasus, the sooner we can get out of here," Joey said, and started walking again. Yugi was just behind him. Everyone else started walking.
Two skeletons, six falling skulls, two other traps and many corners later, the group rounded yet another bend. And there was Pegasus with his back to them, looking at a screen in front of him. "Yugi. I've been expecting you," he said without turning around. "I know why you're here." He turned around. "You want me to put your little friend Sakura back in her body."
"Don't toy with us, Pegasus," Yugi said with a hint of anger in his voice. "Just put Sakura back and we'll leave."
"Oh, I can't do that. I am on a much more important mission. And it all revolves around," Pegasus looked at Meritaten, "you."
Meritaten was more than shocked. "Me?" she asked.
"Yes, you," Pegasus said. "But I need one more person out of the way." He whispered something. Suddenly Yugi couldn't move. Pegasus searched in one of his pockets. "Oh, dear, I'm out of soul cards. Oh, well, two souls fit on the same card. You'll be happier that way," Pegasus said.
And Yugi collapsed. The card he was holding now had a picture of Yugi and Sakura in a tight embrace. And it had all happened before anyone else had realized what had happened. Joey, Tristan, and Téa were just realizing what had happened. Because of Yugi's millennium puzzle, Meritaten helped the Pharaoh to his feet. Bakura was just standing with his back against a wall with a horrified look on his face.
"Pegasus, what have you done to Yugi?" the Pharaoh asked. "How did you get him?"
"Oh, it wasn't just me. Sakura must have been willing him to come too. I think you underestimate her power, Pharaoh," Pegasus said with a reckless grin on his face.

Sakura saw a flash, the first scrap of light she had seen in a day. Sakura tried to see what had happened, if it was an improvement from her dark, lonesome world, but it took a minute before her eyes adjusted to the dark again. She walked over to the thing. With her hands in front of her in case she might hit something, she felt around in the air in front of her. She knew there was something in front of her…
Then her hands hit something triangular and she heard an "ouch" from in front of her. She had heard this voice before. Could it really be him?
"Yugi? Is that you?" Sakura asked.
"Sakura?" Yugi asked. "Are you really here?"
"I should hope so, since I don't feel like I'm anywhere else," Sakura said.
Yugi reached out a hand. It caught Sakura's. Yugi felt her hand, making sure she was really there. She hugged him. "It's so lonely here! But…some time ago, I dreamed you were talking. You said, 'Sakura, I have failed you, but I will always live you.'"
Yugi was silent a moment. "And you said, 'you haven't failed yet. Never give up, Yugi. I love you, too, and always will.'"
"How did you know that?" Sakura asked him.
"That was no dream Sakura. I said that, and I heard you saying that to me afterwards," Yugi said.
"Really? It wasn't a dream?" Sakura asked. "Sure seemed like it. But nothing around here seems real. I did an experiment," she told Yugi, " I put my pencil on the ground and started walking. I got five feet away and my pencil was right there in front of me again."
"This is one weird place," Yugi said in agreement. He felt her hand one more time to make sure she was really there. Sakura hugged him again, her only reassurance being that Yugi's heart was still beating.
They sat down. "So what do you do here?" Yugi asked.
"Nothing. It's very boring. But watch this," she said. Sakura took out her pencil and started writing in the air. The words she was writing turned white and hung in the air like smoke.
"How long does that stay there?" Yugi asked.
"As long as you want. And they go away however you want, too," she said. One of the words just disappeared, one dropped like a stone and broke into pieces that disappeared when they hit the floor, and one turned pink and ran away. Sakura smiled weakly. "If you know what you want to do, it happens. Except wishing this place brighter or warmer and asking for anything that has to do with an escape plan or suicide," Sakura said.
Yugi tried that out. He silently asked for a sandwich; he hadn't eaten all day and he was hungry.
"No food, either," Sakura said. "And I tried for a book, but it didn't work."
"So much for that," Yugi said. He sighed. "So how did I get here anyway? I thought that when your soul is trapped you doomed to face loneliness until your soul was set free," he said.
"That's weird. I was just thinking of you when you showed up," Sakura said.
Suddenly something came to Yugi's mind. More powerful than she seems. Daughter of the Yamis, a tool of Fate. Maybe Sakura broke all the normal boundaries, Yugi thought.
Then something else came to him. "You don't know who your parents are yet, do you?"
"No. You do already? How long has it been?" Sakura asked.
"It's been a day, and Pegasus told Pharaoh and Meritaten just after you went away," Yugi said.
"Pegasus? You mean Horemheb?" Sakura asked. Yugi looked at her. He had no idea what she was talking about. "Never mind. So who are my parents?" Sakura asked.
"Your mother had a millennium item and Meritaten's ring. Your father is…are you sure you want me to tell you?" Yugi asked. Sakura nodded; the suspense was killing her. "Your father is Pegasus."
Sakura had thought she would have been ready for anything, but she wasn't ready for this. "Are you sure that's what he said?" Sakura asked.
"That's what Meritaten said."
They were silent for a while.
"Yugi?" Sakura asked.
"Yeah?" Yugi said, turning to face Sakura.
"Did you mean what you said yesterday?"
Yugi was quiet. Now or never, he thought. He leaned forward and kissed Sakura. I think that answers my question, Sakura thought. And the best thing she could think of doing was to kiss him back.