Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of the Cards, Guide Me ❯ Knives, Cards, and Fate ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Do not own Yu-Gi-Oh. Do own Sakura, Meritaten, and Horemheb's name.

Chapter seven: Knives, Cards, and Fate

Back under the graveyard, Pegasus took out a knife. "I'll kill you like I did before, Meritaten!" he said. He lunged at her.
"No!" Pharaoh screamed. But he had been too late. Pegasus, with inhuman-like speed, lunged and drove the knife through Meritaten's heart.
And it was a scene like that which had happened thousands of years ago. Meritaten gasped and fell to the floor, her long red hair spread around her, green eyes closed. Pharaoh picked her up and then looked at the card that had had Yugi and Sakura on it. Now it also had Meritaten on it as well, a shadow of Sakura in the background of darkness.
Bakura ran from the wall and threw himself at Pegasus. Joey and Tristan followed him, and Téa, not wanting to get into it, now took Bakura's place at the wall, her mouth hanging open in surprise.
It was chaos. The four people fighting, Pharaoh sitting on the ground with his eyes closed and Meritaten's head on his lap. Téa, not wanting to be a part of it. The card with three people on it on the floor in the middle of the room.
And Sakura, in her own little world if bliss with Yugi's kisses, heard the Pharaoh call out to her. "Sakura!" he cried. "You have to do something! It's all up to you!"
Sakura looked at Yugi. He looked at her. "What's he talking about?" Sakura asked. "Why's it all up to me?"
"Because you are a daughter of the Yamis. A tool of fate," he said.
"Why didn't you tell me that before?! I might have gotten us out earlier then!" Sakura said.
Okay, I've got to think. First I'll get Yugi out of here, Sakura thought.
Yeah, I think you've got a lot to figure out, someone said in Sakura's head.
Meritaten! How'd you get here? Sakura asked.
I died again. Same way. He killed me again, Meritaten said, very ticked off.
You mean I've got no body left to go back to?! Sakura asked.
Well, unless you can live in a dead body, no you don't, Meritaten said.
Okay, if I can't get out I should at least try to save Yugi, Sakura said. "Yugi. Meritaten says I've died, so I'm going to try to get you away first."
"How are you going to do that?" Yugi asked.
Sakura shook her head. How am I going to do this? Sakura thought. Okay, if you ask for things here, they come, except asking yourself out. What about asking someone else out? Sakura tried. Could Yugi go back to his body? She asked it over and over again.
Yugi saw how Sakura had started to glow. Then Yugi himself started glowing too, only a different color. Yugi was glowing gold and Sakura was glowing green. And suddenly there was fizz! And Yugi was gone.
It worked, said Sakura, panting. But it took a lot out of me.
And that doesn't explain how we're going to get back, Meritaten said.
Wait. Yugi has two souls in him. Pharaoh and Yugi. What's to say he can't have three?
I think you mean four. We happen to be closely bound to each other. We can't separate for long periods of time, and I don't think Yugi can fit four, Meritaten said.
Well, I'll send you to Yugi, then.
What about you!? Meritaten said.
I'll manage. I'll go fast. You stayed away for a day, remember?
Wait, I have a better idea. What about Bakura? Meritaten had an idea coming upon her.
Bakura? Sakura managed, still panting and very tired.
Bakura. He has a millennium item, too.
So? Sakura muttered.
So, he has another spirit in him too.
So, I'll try Bakura and you go Yugi, Sakura said. All she really wanted to do was sleep. No, I have to send Meri back, Sakura thought. She did the same thing she had done to Yugi. Could Meritaten go to Yugi? Sakura asked.
And they started glowing. Sakura was still tired. Meritaten saw Sakura faint just as she disappeared.

Under the graveyard Yugi was suddenly back in himself. "Whoa, Sakura, you did it," he muttered. Then he looked at the events going on around him. He looked down at Sakura's head on his lap. He saw the puncture in her heart. "Oh, no. This really isn't good."
He looked at the card laying haphazardly on the floor. He was no longer on it. As he was staring at it, Meritaten disappeared and Sakura's eyes closed. Then he felt another presence in his head.
Yugi! Something's gone terribly wrong and Sakura fainted! Meritaten said.
"So we'll need Pegasus to free her," Yugi said out loud.
Bakura, Joey, and Tristan looked up from what they were doing. Bakura was on top of Pegasus, holding him down, Tristan was twisting Pegasus' leg, and Joey was punching Pegasus in the face.
"Oh, now you want him alive," Joey said with an innocent grin.
The stopped what they were doing and stepped away from Pegasus. He laughed uncontrollably. "You'll never get me alive," Pegasus said triumphantly and crumpled to the floor.
After a few moments of everyone staring at the man on the floor, Tristan cautiously walked over to Pegasus and nudged him with a foot. "Uh, hello?" he asked. He knelt down and felt for Pegasus' pulse. He jumped away. "Whoa, this guy's dead!" Tristan said.
Joey decided he didn't believe Tristan. He tried to figure out whether Pegasus was dead, surprised when he reached the same conclusion. "He is dead. Why did we want him alive, though?"
"Because he's the only way we can save Sakura!" Yugi said. He looked at Sakura. What are we going to do now? he asked Meritaten.
The only thing we can do now is take her with us, Meritaten said.
The group started walking back towards the ladder, Sakura slung over Tristan's shoulder. All the traps had been set off already, so they didn't need to worry about those.
They got up the ladder and did their best to not look inconspicuous walking down the road from a graveyard carrying a limp girl. They got to the game shop and put Sakura down on the ground. Grandpa asked what had happened.
"It's a long story," Meritaten said using Yugi's mouth.
"We have to get Sakura's soul back!" Yugi said.
"How the heck are we going to do that?" Joey asked.
"No idea," Yugi said.
Sakura was covered in blood. Her eyes were halfway open but cloudy, staring at nothing. Her long red hair was all over, turned redder by all the blood soaking into it. Her mouth was closed and her jaw was tight; odd, because she was dead. Maybe it was stuck like that because it had been that way for so long.
Everybody just stared at her for a while. Nobody came up with any ideas. No one had a clue.
Bakura's evil Yami had an idea but he wasn't sharing it. After all, he was content that he had just beaten Pegasus up.
Yugi's Yami and Meritaten were clueless. Yugi was staring right through Sakura, a frown etching his grim face.
Joey said something. "She looks kinda like Sleeping Beauty or something, waiting for true love's first kiss. Except Sleeping Beauty wasn't bleeding," he said.
"Hey, that was my idea!" Bakura's Yami said, furious that someone had figured out the plan he had been keeping secret.
"It wouldn't be her first kiss, though," Yugi said softly.
"Huh? Why not? What's that supposed to mean?" Tristan asked, sure it was all his fault.
"Who's gonna be the lucky Prince Charming?" Joey asked.
"I vote for Yugi," Bakura said, his Yami agreeing, hoping it wouldn't be him.
"So do I," Grandpa said.
"Uh, I'm staying out of this," Téa said.
Everybody looked at Yugi. Oh, great, Meritaten said.
What's that supposed to mean? Got any better ideas? Yugi asked.
Yugi sat on the floor next to Sakura. He frowned. He didn't think it was really going to work, but it was worth a try. He bent his head and softly kissed Sakura.
And nothing happened. "That was the stupidest thing I've ever heard, Joey," Tristan said.
Nobody had any more 'bright' ideas, so Joey, Tristan, Téa and Bakura went for a walk to think of more ideas and Grandpa went somewhere else to think, which left Yugi with Sakura's body. Yugi felt his eyes tear up and a few tears fell from his eyes onto Sakura's face. "Come on, Sakura, come back," Yugi said quietly. He kissed her again. This time he felt the kiss returned. Surprised, Yugi stopped and looked at Sakura. She opened her eyes.
"Sakura!" Yugi cried. "You're awake! But how...?"
Sakura felt the wound at her chest and was surprised it wasn't there. The tear in her shirt revealed a large scar.
"Sakura! Let me come back!" Meritaten said with Yugi's mouth.
Meritaten was back in Sakura's head before she knew it.
Sakura looked at Yugi and smiled. They kissed again. "Sakura, I thought I had lost you," Yugi said. "What happened?"
"Hmm. I seem to remember water on face and warm lips on mine," Sakura said.
"Oh, uh, sorry...er, you're welcome? I was crying a little," Yugi said.
"How did you do it?" Sakura asked.
"Me? Um, he he...a kiss?" Yugi said, a bit embarrassed.
"Ah, the Sleeping Beauty thing. True love's first kiss," Sakura said, not knowing how ironic it was that that was exactly what Joey had said.
"Wasn't your first kiss," Yugi mumbled.
"It never is," Sakura said with a giggle. "Does anybody else know I'm awake?"
"Oh! No. But you might want to do something about your shirt before you go anywhere," Yugi said.
Sakura looked at the hole in her shirt. "Got a needle and thread?" Sakura asked. Yugi nodded, went to a shelf, and got the things Sakura needed to fix her shirt. He handed the things to her and turned around. Sakura sewed with her shirt on. Her stitches were tiny and when she was done Yugi couldn't really even tell where the hole had been.
The two went to Grandpa first, who was beyond happy to see Sakura again. He didn't ask what had gotten Sakura to wake up, though.
The two found their friends taking their walk in the park. All were very happy Sakura was back.
"So was it my idea? Did it just take a while?" Joey asked smugly.
"Uh, yeah, Joey, I guess it was," Yugi said with a look at Sakura. She still had blood all over her shirt and hair, bit she still managed to look beautiful.
There were no more questions. Sakura went home with Tristan and everybody else went their separate ways for the day.
The next school day, some people noticed a change in Sakura. She was a bit less shy, her eyes seemed brighter. Her hair seemed redder for a month or so. And she always stayed close to Yugi, almost like she was afraid to lose him. But she never did.