Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Lights ❯ Saved Again ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh!
Warnings: Danger, angst and some nasty language (in one part of the chapter).
 
 
 
Chapter 4 - Saved Again
 
 
That night, Malik lay in his bed and watched the silvery stars shining so far away in the dark sky through the clean window with almost cracked glass. His bedroom appeared even more vacant now, due to the fact that there was practically nothing to make it look cosy. The furniture was composed only of that creaky bed, a small table beside it and a quite large, though half-empty wardrobe across the room. The floor wasn't covered with any carpet, so it was no wonder the air not only here, but in the whole flat was cold. That was why Malik had to sleep in many blankets during Autumn and Winter - he just lacked the money to afford heating. He was glad he managed to earn enough for running water and electricity, but that did not mean he could use these modern inventions more than what was necessary. Of course, he had to pay the rent for the apartment as well.
 
Food was a bother at times, though... There wasn't any refrigerator in the Egyptian's flat, so he could only buy things that remained edible for a long time - bread, canned food... If he wanted something warm to eat or to make himself a cup of coffee, there always was the `good' old electric cooker.
 
To almost anyone it would seem that this apartment altogether was the worst place to live, but Malik knew better - he was in safety here. That was crucial.
 
A heap of golden bracelets was situated on the table, glittering in the pale moonlight. These belonged among the few really valuable possessions Malik owned. Sometimes he was afraid he would have to sell them one day - just the fact he had been able to find a way to keep them so far was a small miracle in itself. The origin of these jewels was Malik's homeland. Such expensive things had not been unusual in his somewhat rich, but unhappy family... However, that was not what the Egyptian was thinking of right now.
 
Hours had flown since he had parted with Ryou...and only the bittersweet memories of the brown-eyed teen were occupying Malik's mind. He did not doubt they were going to meet again - they were both clearly up to it. He could visit Ryou as soon as possible, for he just didn't believe it could be the other way around, considering where he lived.
 
Still, there was one thing the Egyptian could congratulate himself on - not even Ryou had recognized that he lived in this slum at first. Even his balcony and windows looked quite alright. Since Malik had moved to this apartment, he had worked hard to make it at least a bit comfortable for himself. It was nice to know that the filth, which was so typical of this part of the city, ended at his doorstep...
 
What if Ryou said it only not to be rude...? Malik asked himself uncertainly as he reminisced of his friend's words regarding the place he inhabited. The euphoria Ryou had caused to him before wore off, and now it was time for the assault of depression. He's not the type to insult people... The Egyptian tore his gaze from the deep black sky and twisted in the sheets, burying his head in the pillow. What if Ryou really is disgusted with me? He wouldn't say that aloud, I think...but that's even worse! Or am I just paranoid?! This could also be true - Malik didn't know Ryou too well...maybe if he did, he wouldn't let this suspicion spoil his opinion on the white-haired boy.
 
Don't I believe in him anymore or what? the Egyptian admonished himself strictly. After all, whenever he actually was with Ryou, he didn't even try to assume anything like this...
 
Deciding to leave his current train of thought that was not going to get him anywhere, Malik changed the topic of his musings about the only one who was important to him. Of course, he remembered the few people who had meant things to him in the past, but that had been entirely different...
 
For a short, yet sweet while, Malik tried to imagine Ryou was here, sitting on the edge of his bed, peering at him with those large, deep brown eyes of his...
 
Well... Malik shook his head lightly, reluctantly waking up from his nightly daydream. I've admitted I like him, maybe too much. I've admitted I'm attracted to him. I've admitted I can't stop thinking of him. I've admitted I care about him. But the problem is... The Egyptian cast his lilac eyes back at the serene sky above as he almost desperately searched for that troublesome part. I don't know what Ryou would think of this...it's not like I can tell him. He'd probably freak out and then try to act as if nothing happened... And that wouldn't do him any good.
 
Malik honestly had no idea what to do. I may think we are somehow alike, that I actually can help him...but what if it's not true? Maybe I really have nothing to give him... The Egyptian's mysterious eyes lowered shut as he attempted to calm down and get a hold of his own mixed feelings. He was so incredibly glad he had found Ryou, yet he was also afraid of messing with the evidently sad and enigmatic youth.
 
Obviously, there were some qualities Malik and Ryou had in common - they both had complicated personalities, they had both been hurt in their lives, they had never really accepted themselves, whatever the reasons were... However, there had to be at least one major difference, and that never ceased to worry Malik.
 
I can't believe I want to taint Ryou with myself... That was it. He is so pure - so unlike me.
 
Malik let out a long sigh, cruelly satisfied that he had discovered the elusive difference, and sad that he had gotten rid of his last bit of hope. He had just forbidden himself to even consider trying to establish a deeper relationship with his new friend. Yes, Ryou is innocent, I can't steal that from him...not if I'm as stained as I am.
 
Of course, there was no physical disease Malik could suffer from...it was his soul that had never truly healed.
 
The Egyptian decided to finally have some rest. There was no point trying to figure out what to do without knowing what he meant to Ryou. Tomorrow, Malik would go see his friend again, and hopefully learn more about him if the white-haired one was willing to. I just have to do what's best for Ryou...he needs someone better than I am anyway. There, admitted this, too...
 
With that in his mind, the Egyptian drifted off into a light slumber, hoping he would be spared another round of his nightmares that were more like flashbacks to his past. Almost every time he fell into the well-known oblivion of sleep was marred by his usually hidden anguish that seemed to spring to life in darkness. In fact, he had experienced only one truly peaceful night since leaving Egypt - the one after his first encounter with the nearly suicidal boy.
 
No matter how deep under the endless sand dunes the old terror was buried, it always returned in Malik's dreams to remind him of how defiled he was... This twisted, degrading belief had been burned into his body and his memory so painfully that he would never be able to forget it - even if he wanted to. However, forget was not the right word...he needed to get over it, to free himself from the clutches of his own fear, which seemed close to impossible to the Egyptian. The wound was just very deep and still partially open.
 
On top of it all, in Malik's opinion nobody deserved to know about the dark, ancient way of torture he had gone through so long ago. And most definitely not Ryou, the one who could be called an angel on Earth. As morbid as such a concept was, the Egyptian found letting himself mourn in secrecy less harmful than disturbing anyone else with his own scars.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
The morning came in no time - or at least, that was how the reality appeared to the one who had overslept all the long hours...until now.
 
A small yawn echoed in the still somewhat darkish room as twin chocolate eyes cracked open. It was quite early indeed, before half past six, the alarm clock informed. Maybe too early for a Sunday...
 
Ryou stretched his limbs after lying in the warm sheets for such a long time, and then sat up. Yes, he had awakened early...but this time it was not caused by any of the sorrowful feelings that were always present in his life. This time, he had ended his sleep only because of the one who had unknowingly begun to cure him.
 
So...first I'll do the morning hygiene, then I'll have breakfast and get some clothes, and then... Ryou felt a faint grin form on his face. It was a pity he couldn't skip all the aforementioned formalities and get straight to the last `then'. Not wasting any more time, he lifted himself up from the bed and went to take care of everything that was needed.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Whoa, is it this cold already? Ryou wondered as he was making his way to the once dreaded bus stop. The air temperature must have dropped at least five degrees compared to yesterday, or so it seemed to the lonely walker. Ryou did his best to refrain from shaking, even though his clothing wasn't that light. Actually, it was the same as he had been wearing during his time with Malik, because he thought that the Egyptian had taken some sort of liking to it.
 
I still can think of him to keep myself warm, right? Ryou asked himself with a sheepish smile. He didn't even know how he had invented this one thought, which seemed to conceal a deeper meaning than just preventing himself from freezing. After all, the weather had not turned into a blizzard overnight...
 
Before Ryou could grow bored of the morning walk, he arrived at the place that would help him in his quest. The bus came into his view shortly thereafter, and he, for the first time in what felt like ages, got onto this transportation vehicle. As soon as the door closed behind him, the opportunity to return was gone.
 
It could be said that Ryou was lucky. Yesterday he had managed to catch a glimpse of the number of Malik's street (not that he had expected it to be a name in the sense of a word) and not forget it. This once, Ryou really wondered why some addresses looked more like phone numbers...
 
He resolutely stopped philosophizing over something as trivial as names of streets and directed his thoughts towards far more complex matters he currently had at hand. Like how Malik was going to react to his sudden visit. Now that was a thing to worry about. Ryou shivered not with cold, but with apprehension and a slight worry. He just hoped his friend would not get mad at him for showing up without a forewarning, and that he would be at home.
 
Come to think of it, Ryou always hated the moment he had to say goodbye to the Egyptian, and not just because it meant being alone again... Throughout the whole night that had already fallen into the infinite abyss of time, Ryou had been explicitly missing Malik's presence. But why...?
 
A voice announcing where the bus was temporarily stopping interrupted Ryou's musings. There was only a short part of the journey separating the quiet traveler from the finish. Ryou looked around himself, only to find out he was almost alone in the vehicle. Most of the few people who had been here some time ago had already left... This was unnerving him a little when he remembered how scary the place he was headed to had seemed to be last time. It's morning already, Ryou tried to comfort himself, but the eerie suspicion that the daylight might not be a reliable protection from various thugs kept nagging his mind.
 
Finally, the bus came to a halt at the right stop, so Ryou could descend from it and progress to the last stage of the not so short trip. As soon as his feet touched the solid ground, the driver of the vehicle hurriedly got his little `kingdom' moving again.
 
Now it really was not far to Malik's home, which made Ryou feel at least a bit relieved since he was the only one of the passengers who had stepped into this unwelcoming area. For a good reason, Ryou picked up his pace not a mere minute after leaving the safe interior of the bus. It was only now that he noticed the mist hovering all around, as well as the fact that the sunshine was not exactly bright yet.
 
Ryou tried hard not to note his surroundings very much and to pay attention only to the biggest landmarks to guide his way. This, in turn, made him look even more target-like and defenseless in the dangerous slum.
 
After some excruciating minutes of running from invisible gangsters, the Egyptian's house entered Ryou's view, looking like a splendid castle to the lonely visitor's eyes. Letting out a deep exhale, Ryou made to cautiously stroll to the main door and to find the appropriate doorbell. With no great trouble, he reached the low end of the littered stairs, raised his head to see the door in front of himself-
 
Why is it open?!
 
Way before Ryou, in a somewhat shocked state, could make his next move, a high-pitched whistle cut through the air, freaking him out with pure horror.
 
“What's such a pretty boy doing here all by himself?”
 
Too terrified to say anything, the one in question turned his head towards the source of the offending sound, his dark brown orbs widened. What he saw shortly after made his frantically pounding heart skip a beat.
 
Five figures of awful-looking men were looming just a few meters far from him, ogling him hungrily. Ryou didn't even have time to let the most horrific thoughts flood his mind that was already numb with ice-cold fear...because in a split second his gaze fell upon an old, but evidently functional gun in their leader's right hand. It was not pointing at him yet...
 
They don't even believe I could escape from them... Ryou realized. The behavior that the gang showed afterwards only made this assumption true.
 
“Looks like you've lost your way...” the man with the gun stated lazily in a dry-sounding voice, still scanning Ryou's body with the look of someone who was intending to put a price on a slave. Not waiting for an answer, the thug turned back to his cronies and asked them, “So, how much can we make off this one?”
 
A man standing to his left let out a sickening chuckle and snickered, “Pretty much, I'd say...don't you see him over that stupid gun of yours, idiot?”
 
“So rude to your own boss,” the leader retorted off-handedly.
 
A third hooligan, even shabbier than the others, joined the pathetic attempt at a conversation. “I wanna...play a bit with him first!” His voice betrayed the effect of some heavy drugs he was under, even his drunken stance confirmed such a theory.
 
Fortunately, the second man immediately yelled his answer, “Shut the fuck up, you moron! D'you think any imbecile would pay for him after you screwed him like every other whore?! Think of something else than your fucking urges, if you still can!”
 
“Could you two just keep your damned traps shut?” the leader demanded rather angrily in an equally harsh tone, waving his gun at the two arguing men. “This is all about business, so don't you dare touch him before the customers do. I wanna get some damned money already, it's been three fucking weeks since I had a good lay!”
 
Silence occured.
 
Ryou was literally paralyzed with terror. Just the idea of being cornered by five gangsters alone would be enough to make him faint, but the fact that one of them had a gun and they were discussing either raping him right there or selling him later was just too much. Somewhere on the borderline of his consciousness, Ryou heard that silent inner voice shout `run away, run away!' but his legs simply refused to obey and move.
 
Using the moment when the thugs were glaring at one another, Ryou glanced around himself...and felt pure panic rising inside of his mind.
 
Where is Malik's bike?!
 
What if the Egyptian was not here at all? Previously, Ryou had not counted on this possibility, and now he was about to pay dearly for his recklessness.
 
The group of his five tormentors started advancing on him, nearing the stairs on which he stood. Without even knowing it, Ryou began to take slow steps backwards, alert and keeping his eyes on the thugs. The disgusting men did not even try to go any faster - they were obviously just playing with their potential victim. And this was when Ryou's fake calmness snapped.
 
Without a hint of warning, the white-haired teen broke into a dash, nearly tripping over the last stair, and made the mysteriously opened door his aim. He refused to look back over and over - when he heard the surprised shouts of the gangsters and what sounded like a gunshot, when the remaining two men started chasing after him and the other three yelled some mix of profanities and orders. Contrary to his original intent, Ryou did not have time to close the front door behind him, which gave him no other choice than to race upstairs.
 
If he's not at home-
 
Ryou almost ran into the demolished flat on the first floor - it were not only the windows that had been torn down, but the door as well. He quickly rectified his mistake that could have cost him all of his freedom and sprinted through the dirty corridor he had managed to stay in, hearing distant-seeming footsteps behind. Despite the state of absolute fright Ryou currently was in, he still thought strategically - he paused in his tracks behind a corner, grabbed a small empty flowerpot from the windowsill, and then threw it in the opposite direction than he was taking, mere seconds before his pursuers were able to see what had happened. There was a loud crash as the pot shattered into tiny pieces - and, of course, the gangsters went after the source of this promising sound.
 
Ryou would maybe have smirked with satisfaction, but he was already continuing in his attempt at escape as quietly as possible, and not to mention scared to death. The trick with luring his chasers to a wrong place surely must have bought him a little time, but a little time was never enough.
 
The white-haired fugitive was tempted to cry for joy when he saw the next staircase leading to the second floor - the one where his only rescue could be. Ryou darted forwards, taking two steps at once so he would get to the top quickly, ignoring the stinging in his throat and the rippling pain in the muscles of his legs caused by the long and exhausting running.
 
The moment Ryou set his feet on the second floor, he turned without really contemplating to which side, and dashed again. Around another corner...the footsteps downstairs resounding in his ears...he registered the wall blocking the hallway...and then he saw a door. There was no name tag on or beside it, but Ryou was not in any position to examine this little problem. This was his last chance not to be captured by the dangerous individuals; he just couldn't be too picky now!
 
He rang the doorbell once.
 
Nothing.
 
He repeated the action again and again, almost battering at the darn button that just wouldn't work at all!
 
Please...open the door...they'll get me if you don't! Whoever is there... Malik...!
 
If Ryou had the time, he would be surprised by how he automatically called out to his new friend for help. The eerie footsteps went out of earshot for a second... Ryou leaned his head against the door in sheer despair.
 
BANG!
 
The loud thump that sounded like something big and heavy being flipped over had come from downstairs, almost making Ryou scream in shock accompanied by fear. He was close to blacking out from the overload of such insane feelings. However, he instinctively did something else, something much more useful, something that could still save him - he started banging with both of his fists on the despised barricade in his way.
 
Come on!!
 
The footsteps Ryou loathed above all else right now reached his senses once more, but he could not even tell whether they were coming closer or not. All he felt was the pain in his clenched hands and the horror of what was going to happen to him, mingled with twisted anticipation. Just a while longer and it would be too late... He threw himself on the door in one last hopeless attempt-
 
He fell much lower and hit the unforgiving surface even harder than he had expected.
 
A resolute `thud' followed immediately, and then the unmistakable sound of keys being turned around in the lock, sealing him and whoever the other person was inside. Nothing moved, nothing happened, nothing cut through the tense silence filled with unbearable anxiety.
 
Until there was a yell on the outer side of the hard door that had become a solid obstacle for the ones who Ryou had not wanted to meet in the first place.
 
“The brat's not here! Must've run upstairs or hidden in the elevator!”
 
Ryou, feeling rather disorientated from the impact, almost forgot to breathe as he listened to the indistinguishable rustling in the corridor he had stood in just moments ago... In a matter of a few minutes, the unsettling sounds began to move further away, until it grew completely silent in the seemingly deserted hallway.
 
Afterwards, even more distant shouting could be heard, obviously coming from outside the building. “You idiots! Can't you do the only fucking job you're good for?! Do you want me to blow your damned brains out right here?”
 
“Let them be, boss, they're useful sometimes...”
 
“So shut up and get going or we'll never get this shit done!”
 
More footsteps slowly fading. And then...they were gone.
 
Ryou felt a pair of strong arms wrap around his torso as someone lifted his nearly limp body up into a sitting position and made him lean his back against a cold wall. This was when the white-haired teen finally managed to open his eyes, only to discover that it really was Malik who had rescued him...not for the first time.
 
“Ryou! What - what are you doing here?!” the Egyptian demanded instantly, the undeniable shock that had influenced the current expression on his handsome face still lingering even in his voice as he spoke, eyeing the visitor. Ryou felt himself flinch at the harsh tone - this was the first time Malik had yelled at him in such a manner...
 
The brown-eyed male bowed his head in a feeling similar to shame, fighting to hold back the trembling that threatened to gain control of his strained muscles. He thought it best to explain his unexpected appearance here, and made himself regain his voice in order to do so.
 
“I only...wanted to...surprise you this time and-and it didn't...work out that well...” Ryou stammered, partially because he had yet to catch his breath completely, and also due to the mental exertion he had gone through just a while ago, which was the main reason behind the disturbed tone.
 
Upon hearing these words, compassion and guilt added to the feelings mixed in Malik's facial expression. Ryou had almost gotten himself caught by a bunch of such bullies because of him? The Egyptian found himself talking before he knew it, and in a much kinder voice than a while ago.
 
“Ryou...you fool, do you know what they could've done to you? Didn't you realize anyone could pick on you around here, with your looks?”
 
Instead of answering, Ryou only nodded, feeling extremely weak. Yet, one question echoed in his still slightly hazy mind - What did he mean by that?
 
“Don't try this anymore, understand?” The way Malik spoke was frighteningly akin to the almost pleading one he had been using when he had prevented Ryou from jumping off that bridge.
 
The Egyptian watched the other's hunched form on the floor. Ryou looked not only tired, but very scared as well, begging to be comforted in any way that would work. Giving his annoying hesitation a break for his friend's sake, Malik leaned forward and hugged Ryou, holding him close. He sighed softly in pleasant relief as the white-haired boy relaxed a little in his arms. One hurtful fact returned to the Egyptian's conscience.
 
...and I doubted you like that...
 
Malik could not resist and ran one hand through Ryou's silvery hair, only to confirm his theory that not even silk was comparable to its mesmerizing softness. “It's over...” the Egyptian whispered almost directly into the other's delicate ear. “They can't get you here, you're safe...” Malik was not sure if his effort would affect Ryou in the right way, but he could not take the sight of the whitenette in such a helpless condition...even though this time it did not seem to be as deadly as during their first encounter.
 
A quiet, muffled sob pierced the momentary silence, becoming the Egyptian's only answer. He raised no comments on it and just said, “We can't sit on the floor here, you'll only catch a cold if we keep this up. Come on...” He pulled away a few inches and shook Ryou's frame gently so as to wake him up from a bad dream. However, the white-haired one made no move.
 
“Fine,” Malik said calmly; somehow he was not too surprised. He picked Ryou up bridal style instead of making him walk, and carried his motionless body to the small living room to place him in the only armchair. He could not let one thing go unnoticed - Ryou was indeed thin even when only looked at, but now it was official that his weight was just appropriate for the impression. Although Malik could lift heavier loads, Ryou was nearly too light.
 
“Do you want something to warm you up?” the lavender-eyed youth offered, never averting his gaze from the other's still bowed head, which only moved lightly as if in agreement. In less than ten minutes, two cups of hot coffee with small clouds of steam rising into the colder air around could be found on the kitchen table (which was, in fact, on the other side of the living room). As alluring as the warmth the liquid could provide was, Ryou made no attempt at reaching for the cup - actually, he kept sitting in the exactly same position as before, his fluffy bangs obscuring his view. He looked as if trying to block something out...
 
Malik seated himself on the armrest beside his friend, determined to make him respond. “Ryou...” he accosted the other softly. Nothing happened.
 
The Egyptian draped one arm around the other's shoulders. No reaction.
 
Now Malik was beginning to feel truly nervous. Something had to be seriously wrong...
 
Suddenly, Ryou lifted a pale hand to his downturned face and wiped something the other was unable to see off his cheek. “I'm so sorry...” he murmured apologetically in his soft voice.
 
Malik had been prepared to hear many things, but this one proclamation was surely not among them. He gathered his courage and answered with an inevitable question, “What for?”
 
Ryou's head and voice shook as he struggled to contain more of his sobs. “F-for ruining your d-day...for s-stealing your time a-away...and for causing y-you so much t-trouble...”
 
“I'm not blaming you for anything!” Malik countered heatedly. “I was just shocked at first, and afraid of what could have happened to you if...” He rather stopped talking as he realized that finishing the sentence with `if they had really kidnapped you' would not make things any better for either of them. Seconds later he knew Ryou had caught the drift perfectly.
 
“They'd make me a sex toy for somebody rich, they said...” Ryou stated quietly, in so cynical a tone that it made the Egyptian shudder. That, however, was just the start of the whitenette's lament. “They actually thought someone would pay for having me in bed... I'm too ugly and pathetic even for that, how come they didn't see it?! If only...” Here Ryou trailed off, burying his face in his hands.
 
Malik felt a painful sting at his heart. He knew that the insults Ryou was bombarding himself with right now were totally untrue...and he had to make Ryou admit it! The Egyptian reached for the other's chin, gently tilting his face upwards, so they were looking each other in the eyes.
 
“How can you say such nonsense?” Malik asked softly, gazing into the other's red-rimmed eyes imploringly. Ryou only stared back, neither glaring nor preparing to retort - it seemed that he actually believed what the Egyptian had just said.
 
Malik forced himself to let go of Ryou's face and look straight in front of himself, or else he was afraid he would have to give in to the temptation and kiss those quivering lips. I can't do that, it would be the most selfish thing possible! Besides, I have already sorted out that I will NOT taint him...I just can't hurt Ryou even more, I'm supposed to help him! If only I knew what to do...
 
This situation was somehow alike the one Malik had experienced with Ryou when they had first met, after all - the reasons of Ryou's actions were different, but the brown-eyed one still saw himself as somebody who deserved only the worst. It was now that the Egyptian realized how deep the other's emotional pain ran, how searing the grief really was...
 
Ryou...please, don't do this to yourself...
 
...and yet, Malik was hurting himself just as much, and that was what he could not bring himself to admit. Like Ryou, he suffered from his own sorrow, and always put the blame on himself. This kind of damage could be repaired neither easily nor quickly...
 
Miraculously, the Egyptian still appeared quite calm. They were both just sitting there in silence, waiting for the attack of some of their issues to subside.
 
“You need to look at this a bit differently,” Malik stated finally, locking his eyes with Ryou's once again, feeling a tremor of happiness when he detected no more tears. “Don't underestimate yourself so much, it's no use. Just try to forgive me that I didn't tell you how glad I was to see you again.” This statement was heartfelt on the Egyptian's part - he would have jumped for pure joy the moment he had seen Ryou here, but the earlier set of events had made such a celebration impossible.
 
Even though the outbreak of Ryou's depressing feelings just a while ago had been very powerful and the white-haired one had hardly managed to keep himself at least a little bit collected (and had also failed at this task during that one short part when his self-esteem had practically vanished) Malik's words made a small smile break free.
 
“That's what I wanted to see!” the Egyptian beamed, nearly latching onto Ryou once again. He stopped himself just in time instead of that, got up and straightened his back, heading for the coffee and handing it to his guest. “Here, drink it before it goes cold.”
 
Ryou took the cup with a quiet “thanks” and started sipping on it. Although he preferred tea to coffee, this drink tasted very good on his tongue, making him empty the cup in only a short while. He set it aside and, for the first time during this visit, observed the living room.
 
There was no carpet here, either, and also no television or phone. The one armchair Ryou was resting in was located in the middle of the room, but it apparently was easy to move around and put wherever it was desired at the moment. One wall was equipped with another window, a few cabinets and a kitchenette. There also was a table and a chair under that window, obviously for serving what could be with a bit of imagination called meals. In each of the remaining walls was a door - the one behind them led outside according to Ryou's knowledge, the other two probably to the Egyptian's bedroom and to the bathroom. Overall this area seemed to be too deserted, even though it was quite small.
 
Upon regarding the nearly empty place, realization of something he had considered evident dawned on Ryou. He glanced at Malik shyly, muttering almost under his breath, “You live all alone, just like I do.”
 
The Egyptian gave a hum of acknowledgement, then said, “You expected something else?”
 
Ryou only shook his head, the silvery strands swaying with soft, nearly inaudible rustle. “It only looks more real now that I am here. But could you explain me one thing?”
 
“Sure,” Malik agreed, curious about what it would be.
 
“How can you survive in this freakish neighbourhood? I'd be done with by now if I had to live here!” Ryou exclaimed.
 
The Egyptian couldn't help but make a face that was not unlike the expression of a teacher lecturing a freshman student as he answered, “I just know how not to act outside this flat, that's all.” Then he abruptly changed the topic. “Are we going to sit here all day, or will we find a better place to go?”
 
Ryou couldn't argue less. “You're right, let's-“ He suddenly cut off the rest of his proclamation as one previously neglected fact reminded him of itself. “Your bike's not in front of the house!”
 
Malik, who had been startled by Ryou's unexpected halt previously, just smiled. “Of course not, I don't leave it there overnight. We can go now, but let me get some proper clothes...”
 
Now Ryou actually noticed that the Egyptian had been wearing his pajamas the entire time. I must have woken him up! He watched Malik disappear behind the door, which was the one leading to his bedroom, after all... A while later, the tanned male was back, dressed in the hot leather jacket and just as black jeans.
 
Without any further ado, they left the apartment, Malik locking the door carefully behind them.
 
“The bike is in the courtyard, come this way,” the Egyptian announced, clasping Ryou's wrist in one hand and leading him through the dirty corridor. He noticed how upset the white-haired teen had become, apparently reminiscing on the events that had - or could have - occured here earlier this morning; and how Ryou stuck together with his friend. Malik had to make him feel a little more at ease, so he said exactly what was on his mind right now without trying to alter it.
 
“It's okay. No bastard will lay a finger on you when I'm around.”
 
And the Egyptian was right.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
The following motorcycle ride was relaxing for them both and neither Ryou nor Malik wanted it to end, so they decided to travel across the giant metropolis, once again defying the urgent desire to snuggle even closer than they already were.
 
When they finally ran out of good destinations, Ryou got an idea. He tapped on his friend's shoulder lightly, and immediately felt the speed decrease so they could talk to each other.
 
“What's up?” Malik asked over the wind.
 
Ryou hesitated for a moment, but then replied, “We could go to my place for a change, if you have nothing against it. Do you remember the way?”
 
The Egyptian's answer screamed delight that Ryou still trusted him, maybe even more than before. “Of course!”
 
Soon they dismounted from the shiny motorbike in front of Ryou's apartment building, which seemed to be extremely clean and inviting now. Because their momentary goal was the seventh floor, the elevator was more than welcome, also polished and neat like the rest of this house. The difference between the two living places they had visited today was almost unbelievable.
 
Ryou found his keys and twisted them in the lock, opening the main door of his flat for himself and his companion. He showed Malik where to put his leather jacket and shoes, and afterwards they both made their way to the living room. Ryou couldn't stop throwing sideways glances in the Egyptian's direction, noticing how Malik admired the settings of his flat - it was clear that he had not visited such a clean apartment in ages.
 
They both seated themselves on a large couch in the said living room, but Ryou was on his feet again a second later. “Would you like something to eat?” he inquired in his too-polite manner.
 
“Don't worry about it - hey, where are you going?”
 
“You're my guest, I can't let you starve!” Ryou elaborated in a slightly louder voice, already gone to the kitchen and rummaging through the refrigerator.
 
Malik gave a long sigh, deciding it would be best not to argue. Instead, he let his gaze travel over the living room, examining it. On each side of the comfortable couch he was currently sitting on, a quite large armchair was completing the set, all in a matching creamy color. In front of it there was a low table with the desktop made of frosted glass. Situated across the room was a dark cabinet on which the television and video were placed; and beside it another table with the telephone and radio could be seen. The floor was covered with a beige carpet, lighting the room up and contrasting with the dark wood. However, the decorations on the free wall really caught Malik's eye - three enlarged photographs, one of the evening sky tinted with vivid colors, while another portrayed a calm winter scenery, and the last one was a picture of the sun shining through reddened leaves of some high tree.
 
“Is soda with chips alright?” the Egyptian heard his friend ask.
 
“Of course, stop acting like my servant,” Malik answered calmly as Ryou placed the refreshment on the glass table and sat next to him again. For a while they busied themselves with the food without starting a conversation, but not for long. The lavender-eyed one wanted to know something, after all... “Did you take these photos?”
 
Ryou nodded. “Are they that bad?” I thought nobody would recognize they're not professional...
 
“Are you mad?” Malik retorted incredulously. “They're beautiful...you must be talented.”
 
Ryou registered the glorious feeling of being praised by someone who was precious to him...actually, the only one who was precious to him. I didn't even hope for this...
 
“And I'm sorry for what I said,” Malik added as slight guilt got to him. “Actually, it's pretty sweet that you went to get drink and food for me - I should've thanked you instead of complaining.”
 
This made Ryou even more elated - Malik was apologizing to him for something as harmless as a mere choice of words to express that he did not want to bother Ryou with preparing any refreshment. Even before the whitenette could figure out how to react, there was another statement made by his Egyptian friend.
 
“I'd love to see what your bedroom looks like...” Malik wondered for a while if he had said this aloud, but judging from the other's surprised expression, he had. It took Ryou a moment to regain at least some composure so he could respond.
 
“Well...I guess I wouldn't mind...”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
“Wow...it's great!” Malik complimented as he watched his friend's most private room. Sure, the furniture was nothing revolutionary, but the atmosphere was another story... The Egyptian noticed that the colors used on anything that was fitting for them in Ryou's bedroom were mostly white with black, light with dark blue, soft yellow with red...and still, they did not resemble chaos, but harmony. The room in itself was like a little piece of art. Malik contemplated how much it affected the way he was feeling at this place. Maybe I like it here just because it's Ryou's bedroom...
 
The whitenette smiled, watching the other's natural behavior with interest. Malik had in the meantime reached the bed and immediately asked, “Can I sit here?”
 
Ryou felt heat rising into his face. “Go ahead.”
 
The Egyptian complied, letting his body relax as he made himself comfortable in the most attractive area the room had to offer. He cast his eyes at Ryou, regarding him thoughtfully. This room suits him somehow...
 
By that time, Ryou was already sitting in a chair by his desk and flipping through some book. “I think I might try to do homework at home for once...” It was not like Ryou wanted to do something he had always ignored all of a sudden...he was just too nervous right now, and this would be an excuse for hiding his persistent blush. Even so, he couldn't stop looking back at Malik, who was lounging in his bed, again and again.
 
After some minutes of silence, Ryou's self-control had diminished so greatly that he allowed himself to speak about the first thing he came up with just to hear the other's melodic voice afterwards. “Don't you have anything to do for school? It wouldn't be too nice of me to keep you from your obligations...”
 
It was just a casual question...yes, it was. But why did the Egyptian tense, then?
 
“No, nothing necessary.” Malik answered after a few seconds in a strange, restrictive tone. Ryou, of course, had to notice that.
 
“What's wrong?” he asked, although he had no clue what he had just said or done `wrong.' However, then one displeasing idea announced its presence. As much as Ryou hated to voice it, he was too curious and concerned to let the subject drop.
 
“You...don't go to any school at all, do you?” the brown-eyed one inquired cautiously. Just the fact that his friend remained silent at first proved him right.
 
However, Malik saw no point in lying to the other, so he confessed in a resigned voice. “No.” Why does this happen only when I'm with Ryou of all people?! Wasn't my half-demolished house enough?
 
Something the lilac-eyed youth did not dare to hope for happened - Ryou set his book aside, rose from the chair, and joined him on the bed. His words were even more unexpected.
 
“There's no need to be ashamed. Maybe it would be best if you told me a bit more about yourself...” Ryou's voice was filled with fear of being rejected, with doubt of himself, with insecurity and a desperate will to break through that barrier surrounding Malik...
 
The Egyptian looked into the other's innocent eyes that were staring at him with compassion and the need to find more than what had been revealed so far. In a way, such a gaze was irresistible. And Malik had no strength to fight anymore. Slowly, almost reluctantly, he was making his decision.
 
“Do you really want to know?” The Egyptian had to be sure. I trust Ryou, but I feel horrible for hurting him with my secrets...
 
“Yes, I want to know. I want to help you, too...” I'm convinced.
 
And so, Malik began his story.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
 
 
Hey, I end it just like this? Something must be really wrong with me... x_x
 
Inu-Kag15 AKA Haruka: Thanks for your kind words! You made me really happy, because descriptive yet non-cheezy writing is exactly what I'm going for. Great that you think I'm succeeding so far! ^_^ Here's another chapter for you, hope you like!
 
LSS: Hi again! ^_^ I'm glad I'm keeping your attention! And I hope you enjoy the new chapter. Thank you for the encouragement!
 
Happy Holidays to everyone!