Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Lights ❯ Rediscovering Ourselves ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh and any of the brands/brand products that may be mentioned. And I make no money off this, either.
 
 
Chapter 3 - Rediscovering Ourselves
 
 
The next morning was Saturday, for many people a reason to be happy. Even the weather got more pleasant than yesterday - the sky had cleared and the sun was already starting to rise over the horizon, ready to flood the scenery with its golden rays.
 
Slowly, as if afraid, Ryou was rousing from his heavy sleep. As he was returning to his senses, the new memories rushed back to his mind. They seemed to be so unreal, so distant... Was it all just a crazy dream...? Might have been...
 
His chocolate eyes fluttered open, and immediately screwed shut again, for the blinding light filled them from all angles. Ryou was used to waking up into darkness, dawn at the most, but not this... As soon as he accustomed to the uncommon brightness all around, he glanced at the alarm clock, finding it already was past eight in the morning. I haven't slept this long since... He searched his memory, but found it blank regarding this particular information. What's wrong with me? Ryou directed his attention back towards yesterday, and this time he began to remember what had happened in the past twenty-four hours a bit more accurately.
 
He could still see Malik's face when he closed his eyes - all the stunning features sharp in his memory, holding the mystery that intrigued Ryou to no end. If it was a dream, it's no wonder I didn't want to wake up from it...
 
Suddenly, there was a sound Ryou had almost forgotten existed. `Ring' - the doorbell.
 
What-
 
Again, this time more urgent. `Ring-ring-ring.'
 
Is it the postman or what? But who would write to me...?
 
`Ring-ring.' The sound kept on repeating, demanding that Ryou check what was going on.
 
Yeah...I'm gonna look...such a fuss so early in the morning...
 
Ryou rose from the bed and, still half-asleep despite all the sounds begging him to awake, slowly marched to the window and opened it to finally discover who insisted on talking to him - and almost got a heart attack.
 
Down on the street, in the shadows of the buildings, he saw the familiar crown of golden hair, and then the rest of the figure that could belong to only one person alone. However, this wasn't all that shocked him - the unexpected visitor was leaning against a shiny red motorcycle; a cruiser, to be more precise.
 
“Malik?” Ryou whispered in disbelief.
 
The Egyptian waved at him, waiting for the whitenette's reaction - his quietly uttered name couldn't have reached his ears, considering the height stretching between the two boys. As soon as Ryou made himself admit this was indeed real, he called, “I'm coming down, wait a bit!”
 
With that said, Ryou slammed the window shut, only by a miracle not breaking the glass, and raced to the bathroom. There he took care of the daily business, only this time in a frantic rush. Then he dashed back to his bedroom to throw some of his clothes on himself, not caring which ones these were. Afterwards, he grabbed his keys and left the apartment in record time. Soon he was, feigning calmness with difficulty, passing through the main gate of his house.
 
“Morning,” the rebellious-looking youth greeted him with that trademark faint smile. Ryou replied the same, but he was so out of breath it was almost incomprehensible. Malik observed the other's current appearance with a scrutinizing look and realized he must have woken the angel up.
 
“Am I here too early?” the Egyptian asked.
 
Ryou's response was quick this time, but completely believable - ironically meant. “N-no, not at all - why?”
 
“Because you look as if you've been awake for some...five minutes,” Malik elaborated, smirking.
 
Is it that obvious? Ryou wondered and turned to look at his reflection in the glass door a few meters far from them. What he saw was more than an adequate answer of his inquiry.
 
Ryou's hair was a mess, his clothes arranged like those of a homeless person after a talk with the police, his expression still sleepy... Add his breathless voice to this all and you will get the perfect picture of someone who has just gotten out of bed and run to the street. Well, this is just great! Ryou thought, totally hating himself right now.
 
He was lucky that Malik felt no need to dramatize this little problem. “I only wanted to offer you a ride on my bike,” the lavender-eyed one announced, paying no attention to Ryou's upset expression, which changed anyway - the second that Ryou registered what the Egyptian had just said.
 
“Do you mean it?” Ryou asked unassumingly as he observed the motorcycle. It looked even more powerful and daring up close - the red color allowed nobody to overlook this technical masterpiece that screamed freedom, as well as absolutely no respect of rules. Just the silvery symbol of Kawasaki alone would make any fan of bikes drool with envy.
 
“I've never ridden anything like this,” Ryou confessed in a low voice, but loudly enough for the other to hear. Must be going pretty fast...
 
“So, what do you think?” Malik interrupted his musings.
 
“Well...why not now?” Ryou replied with a small smile of his own. “I'll just make myself look more presentable,” he added as he hurried back to his house, not really wanting to leave the other's side. I still can't believe he came see me out of his own free will...!
 
Malik watched him leave, a genuine smile lingering on his lips. He had spent almost all night figuring out how he could visit Ryou again and not seem to be bugging the quiet boy. Then he had gotten the idea to invite Ryou for a ride on his motorbike...that would make a good excuse; it was the only one the Egyptian had, after all.
 
And, Malik had understood one important thing - if the two of them could become at least close friends and share their painful secrets one day, they would have to let all the future events come naturally. Forcing each other to anything would do more harm than good - actually, it could even destroy everything they had achieved so far.
 
It was a fact that Malik was unable to get Ryou out of his mind, not even for a short while. He still wasn't sure why, but found the possibility of never seeing the gentle youth again unacceptable. The lilac-eyed one was afraid that Ryou would be angry with him for showing up again, or at least as reserved as last time... However, today the white-haired boy appeared a bit more friendly than before, even different somehow... Maybe we truly need time to sort things out...or some of them, anyway... Malik reasoned with himself. I may not know why Ryou is so sad and shy, but that doesn't mean I can't try to cheer him up a little.
 
“Well, I'm back...” Ryou mumbled as he approached the Egyptian, who was looking at his own hands now, without really seeing them. Ryou's timid words were enough for Malik to stir from his thoughts and lay his gaze upon the whitenette again.
 
This time, Ryou's hair was brushed more carefully, flowing to his shoulders and to his back in soft waves. His slender figure was covered with black pants and a properly buttoned light blue jacket - if there was any shirt underneath, it couldn't be seen, but it was very likely in a bit cold morning weather.
 
“Is it enough for riding this bike?” Ryou asked, evidently uncertain if his choice of clothing was right.
 
“I'd say it is,” Malik assured him, but then added, “And if you're cold, just tell me and we'll return or something."
 
“I take it we can go now, right?” Ryou concluded, already looking forward to the ride. However, Malik had just one more thing to do before they could set off.
 
“I'll lend you my helmet, just in case, okay?” the Egyptian said, obviously not accepting a negative response this time. He wasn't going to risk Ryou's health like this. If something happened to the white-haired boy, he would never forgive himself - especially if there was something he could do to prevent any fatal harm.
 
“But what about you?” Ryou objected politely. He was a little surprised that Malik owned such an expensive motorcycle and just one helmet. He, of course, did not voice this thought - he couldn't just spy on the other like this...
 
“Ryou, if you want to ride this bike, you have to wear the helmet or I'm not taking you anywhere,” Malik stated with finality. “If anything happens to me, it'll still be better than you being injured thanks to my selfishness, don't you think?”
 
“As you wish...” Ryou gave in, he did not want to argue with Malik, of all people. And he had to admit that if he were the one responsible for their safety, he would try to make the other borrow his crash helmet, too.
 
The Egyptian helped Ryou put the protective item on, explaining how to do it best in the process. Then he motioned to Ryou to get on the motorbike.
 
The whitenette obeyed, swinging one leg over the machine carefully, and then put his feet on the footrests. Weren't it for the small backrest behind the passenger seat, he would be afraid of falling off the bike when it reached high speed. Malik nodded to him and smiled once again...Ryou looked good on the motorcycle, even with the helmet, he noticed.
 
Malik almost forgot he was supposed to ride the bike as well, but collected his composure fast enough. He seated himself on the spot in front of Ryou, with the grace of someone who had already done this a million times. I'll really have to be careful...
 
Ryou timidly wrapped his arms around the Egyptian's waist, feeling a strange tingling sensation in his stomach. Even through the fabric of his clothing (which was the same as yesterday) Malik's body radiated power. Ryou had never sat this close to anybody - but he was sure that nobody else would have the effect Malik had on him. What is this feeling, for heaven's sake...? However, he had no more time to ponder on this, for the Egyptian started the engine and the bike shot into the almost deserted streets. Ryou had to hold onto the other's waist for dear life...and he found it neither unpleasant nor objectionable in any way.
 
Ryou was enjoying his first ride on a motorbike immensely as the machine elegantly skimmed through the large, awakening city. There definitely was a sense of liberation in this activity - and he was already doubting it was just because of the speed and the wind whistling all around. He was hidden behind Malik, protected from the strongest blows of the wind, and grateful for the helmet that concealed his ears from the cold.
 
There was only light traffic at this time of the day when nobody had to go out, and Malik was glad for it. Although he maneuvered the motorcycle with remarkable skill, he was finding it more and more difficult to focus on it. He constantly reminded himself to be cautious with the fragile form of Ryou behind him, but it also was Ryou who was causing him to lose his concentration on the road. A moment later, Malik couldn't take it anymore and reduced the speed of the bike, so the sound of the engine went a little quieter, and he could turn his head a bit...
 
“Are you alright?” he half bellowed into the wind.
 
“Yes, it's great!” Ryou answered in a surprisingly excited voice. “Look out!”
 
Malik smirked lightly. “Why else do you think I slowed down? And you're the one to talk, tickling me like that!”
 
Ryou understood the joking tone, but lessened the grip his fingers had on the Egyptian's abdomen anyway. Before he could stop himself, he shouted, “So don't provoke me, or I'll show you what real tickling is!”
 
This threatening exclamation almost shocked Malik, but Ryou couldn't see his awestruck expression anymore - `someone' had to pay attention to the road again. In spite of that, Malik did not consider ending their conversation an option.
 
“You can show me when we get...where do you wanna go?”
 
Ryou, whose face had tinted more pink than from the slight cold after he had suggested such a thing, could only retort, “I thought you knew already!”
 
“Nope, this is your first ride, so where will it be to?” Malik answered, trying to hold in the amused chuckles that were about to escape his throat. However, the white-haired one wasn't fooled, and gave a small, quiet laugh himself.
 
“So...what about the city centre?” Ryou offered, because that would mean still a quite long journey in this style, which he had come to like very much.
 
“Yes, sir!!” Malik yelled, the last word melting into the roaring sound as he revved the engine. Ryou clutched at the Egyptian even tighter as the velocity rapidly increased. Malik was - yet again - smiling.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
“Here we are!” Malik announced in an overly dramatic voice as their motorbike stopped at a free parking space. As if on cue, Ryou let go of him and got rid of the helmet with a relieved sigh - all that adrenaline from the ride was getting to him.
 
Malik watched in fascination as Ryou's white, fluffy hair cascaded into its original position, this time illuminated by the sun's rays. Now Ryou resembled an angel even more than before, the glow of golden light creating something like a halo above his head. Those innocent brown eyes fixed on Malik, the warm sunlight twinkling in them gently. The Egyptian tried not to openly stare at him, but Ryou's unearthly beauty demanded attention. He's really gorgeous...
 
In the meantime, Ryou couldn't help but let his gaze travel over the other's appearance as well, the imaginary butterflies in his belly making themselves known once more. The Egyptian's hair was purely shining now as he ran one of his tanned hands through it, combing it after the windy race. His violet eyes weren't looking at the quiet one anymore at this moment, which gave Ryou time to admire Malik's graceful, yet casual moves - each of them was somehow sensual... Just what am I thinking right now?!
 
Malik locked the motorcycle and placed the helmet on its seat carelessly. He almost jumped with surprise when he heard Ryou say in a concerned tone, “Don't leave it here like this, someone's going to steal it for sure!”
 
“Don't worry about it...” Malik replied, snapping out of the absent condition he'd caused to himself when he had looked at Ryou a while ago. No wonder this unenthusiastic answer couldn't succeed in the task of convincing the other boy that leaving the helmet on the bike while away wasn't risky.
 
“Ryou, look, this place is guarded and...I don't want to drag something so useless for being in the town along!” the Egyptian protested more forcefully, but still being careful not to scare the other with unnecessary rudeness or such.
 
Ryou would perhaps have objected if he hadn't become absorbed in examining Malik with his gaze once again. When he finally remembered to say something, the Egyptian was already paying a small amount of money to the attendant close by, requesting an extra careful watch over his motorcycle, and then they were off for the day.
 
The centre was logically the busiest part of the whole city and various establishments dedicated to spending one's free time were already open, awaiting the customers. Malik and Ryou were just walking and exploring the possibilities of this place - looking into the shopwindows, checking out seemingly good places to stop by...
 
Their conversations during this leisure time changed into a kind of good-natured bickering and joking around about everything that was fitting as a topic, like for example...
 
Shops.
“Just save your money, you'll probably need some new helmet soon...”
“What did you say, Ryou?”
 
Restaurants.
“Isn't it lunch time already?”
“When did you have breakfast that you're so hungry?”
“Too early, `cause I went to pick you up just to find out you were still in bed!”
“Hey-“
“And when did you eat, hm...?”
“When I went back home after the clothing fiasco.”
“Fiasco? A cute one, then!”
“Knock it off!”
“Oh, sorry...but it's so true!”
 
Amusement park.
“Ryou...come on, let's go just for one ride... I've always wanted to try that roller coaster... Maybe they have cotton candy, too...”
“I'll get sick even before I eat any...”
“Please...nothing bad can happen, I'll be with you!”
“That's what I'm afraid of...”
 
Ryou was beginning to truly relax in the Egyptian's presence. He had never been engaged in such crazy dialogues with anybody...and now it was, to a certain point, a rest from everything that had been plaguing him for so long. Malik was not pushing him to anything, and Ryou was, little by little, starting to feel really safe with him. Neither of them had any idea what this all would lead to, but they already liked being together...
 
Malik was glad that he had managed to give Ryou such a funny day - it was probably all he could do now. And it would be a lie to say the Egyptian wasn't enjoying it as well. He was delighted by any pleased expression that appeared on Ryou's sweet face; the shy smiles were enough to ignite a warm flame in Malik's chest for now. Obviously, they were not ready to open up to anyone yet, not even to each other... Spending time together without being afraid all the time was the first step towards that goal.
 
The violet-eyed youth knew one of them had to be the first to reveal at least some of his insecurities when it was needed - and he also had a feeling it would be himself. Regardless of how hard it was going to hurt, Malik sincerely wanted to be able to face his own past...Ryou was worth it, Ryou was worth much more than just that. How could I help him if I never accepted myself? I have to try... And for that, Malik would need courage; a lot of it.
 
Today had passed incredibly fast for the two friends, or whatever they were to each other so far. They were already a bit tired, so when Malik suggested going back to the motorbike, he wasn't met with any protest. Upon returning to the parking lot, they discovered that the helmet was still in its place - resting on the seat.
 
“Told you so,” Malik snickered playfully. Ryou rolled his eyes, but didn't say anything.
 
“Don't forget this!” the Egyptian teased, handing the helmet to the white-haired boy.
 
Ryou put this item on his head as soon as he was given it, then asked, “Will you show me where you live, too?” He said it innocently, just because he wanted to know - therefore he was quite surprised by Malik's hesitant reaction.
 
The Egyptian's facial expression changed into an unreadable one at first, confusing the other instantly. Should I tell him? Aware of the fact that Ryou would most likely find a way to blame rejection on himself, Malik replied, “Alright.” He has the right to know, after all...
 
Then they were both sitting on the bike, once more almost pressed up against each other, and the engine roared as they headed to a new destination.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
From the centre of the city, they took the opposite direction of the one they had used in the morning, and continued breaking through the cooling air on a calm, almost empty road. Afterwards, the bike turned left to arrive at another housing estate, which was completely different from the one where Ryou's apartment building was situated.
 
The silence was eerie here. Ryou felt anxiety and suspicion clawing at him, but fought not to show it. After a while they had to slow down, making the rubbish on the streets all the easier to be noticed. The only people they saw were a few children playing with some broken toys. Everything was gloomy and unsettling in this area...it wasn't exactly a slum, but close enough.
 
Malik was practically sure that Ryou was not thinking anything complimentary of him at this moment and it was starting to get on his nerves. I must be looking like a drug dealer now...
 
The Egyptian almost released his hold on the handlebar when he felt his frightened passenger press even closer to him. Does he still trust me...?
 
It did not take too long to reach an old-appearing block of flats, one of those that made everybody want to run somewhere far away instead of daring to enter such a building. The motorcycle came to a halt right in front of it and both riders dismounted it, taking a few careful steps forward. Malik pointed at the house and announced in a disgusted voice, “Here is it.”
 
Ryou remained silent, observing the building. On the first floor there was no window that was untouched - in fact, dirty splinters were piled up everywhere they had landed as the glass had shattered. Some of the bars in the railing of one low-located balcony were missing as well, obviously never to be replaced. What purpose these metallic poles had served after being snatched away by somebody violent was a thing any person with an instinct of self-preservation would rather not know.
 
Then there were the upper floors - slightly more sociable, but still messy and uninviting. The windows in them were covered with dust, looking greyish and dull. The outer walls had two colors - the original yellow plaster and the spots where pieces of it had peeled off, revealing the reddish bricks and falling into the garbage on the ground. The staircase that consisted of five low steps and led to the main door made of solid wood was covered with trash. The only thing that was new in the whole house seemed to be the lock in the said door - it apparently needed to be changed very often.
 
“It's horrible, don't you think?” Malik broke the tense silence.
 
Ryou had no clue what he should answer. He did not want to insult his friend, but there was no way he could pretend this was a nice place to reside.
 
“And you live where? On which floor?” Ryou asked in an attempt to avoid commenting on the house as a whole.
 
“On the second,” Malik replied. “Over there...” He pointed to one small balcony behind which two windows were glimmering. It was so clean it seemed to be out of place here.
 
Ryou let a faint smile grace his lips as he lifted his eyes to the spot he was guided to. He understood that no matter how filthy this part of the city was, Malik did not belong here. The way his little living place looked on the outside was speaking for itself.
 
The Egyptian glanced at Ryou nervously...and found out the white-haired boy was not looking disturbed at all. “At least it's not the one with broken windows,” Ryou said, fixing his gaze on the Egyptian again.
 
“W-what?” Malik stammered. “You don't mind this-this-“
 
“Do you really think I'd judge you by where you live?” the brown-eyed one inquired.
 
“Well...” No, I was just-
 
“That would be very hypocritical. Especially since the apartments here in Japan rank among the most expensive things ever. So why would I blame you for that if it's not your fault?” Ryou stated matter-of-factly.
 
These words seemed to return all energy to the previously unnerved Egyptian. He was extremely relieved that Ryou did not look down on him because of the misery in which he had to live. I was seriously mistaken in him this time!
 
This newly acquired knowledge truly made Malik a lot happier, and also glad this unpleasant obligation was already behind himself and the one he had already come to hold dear.
 
“Thanks,” he murmured.
 
“Not at all,” Ryou waved it off in the humble manner that was typical of him.
 
For a few seconds neither of them said a word as they soaked in the suddenly comfortable silence...until Malik remembered he had one more thing to explain in regards to this scary place.
 
“Do you see now why I had to leave so fast yesterday?”
 
Ryou, who was once again lost in his contemplation, awoke with a start when he heard the question. The second shock hit him as soon as he fully realized what the Egyptian had just said. “What?”
 
“You know,” Malik began, “It's not exactly safe here even during the day, so you can imagine what it's like at night. I can't walk around here after dark...as stupid as it sounds, I'm practically a prisoner in this house from sunset to morning...” He trailed off, feeling embarrassed not only because of his awful `home,' but also due to the way he had to act to survive here without being murdered, robbed, kidnapped, raped, or beaten up. I can only hope Ryou will understand this, too...
 
He was completely unaware of the joy that spread throughout Ryou's entirety upon his words. The white-haired youth could form only one coherent thought right now - So it wasn't my fault that he left so suddenly last time! This little piece of information was enough to make Ryou feel deliriously happy - something unthinkable just a few days ago...
 
When Ryou calmed down, he said, “I'm glad to know you have a way to keep yourself safe.” It was true - Ryou already couldn't bear the thought of anything bad happening to his new friend.
 
A countless smile caused by Ryou today blossomed on Malik's face as he nodded, once again grateful for the other's sympathy. This all would be just great if that annoying little thing called time didn't exist...
 
“I'll take you back home, okay?” the Egyptian suggested, trying to sound casual and not disgruntled.
 
“Don't bother with it, I can go by bus...” Ryou protested weakly, just out of his modest attitude.
 
“Who says it bothers me to give you a lift?” Malik questioned rhetorically. “And besides, you deserve a private ride, so get on the bike and don't even try to make me let you walk to the bus stop all alone!”
 
The effect these few sentences had on the listener was incredible. Malik could see the emotion sparkling in the other's deep brown eyes as Ryou was taken aback by the Egyptian's concern for him before the white-haired one lowered his gaze to the ground. “Am I really that good a company?”
 
“You're the best company I could ever ask for,” Malik replied immediately, his words sincere. “So come on, I'm not planning on leaving you here.” When their eyes met, he winked at Ryou and led him back to the motorcycle.
 
The moment they were seated on the shiny machine again Ryou couldn't contain his curiosity and asked, “How did you get this bike, anyway?” It was rather clear that Malik couldn't afford something like this. Ryou expected the answer to be hesitant, or at least modified to sound better, therefore the explanation that came afterwards resembled a grenade in its shocking effect.
 
“Well, I stole it!” the tanned one stated bluntly.
 
“Stole?!” Ryou repeated incredulously, eyes wide. “How? I mean - when?”
 
In spite of what he had just confessed, it was hard for Malik not to start laughing. He had been certain Ryou would be disappointed or even disgusted when he found out, but not this amazed...
 
Deciding he had better give a more detailed story, the Egyptian recalled the unusually lucky coincidence that had brought such an useful, not to mention expensive and jealousy-inducing, machine to him.
 
“Some two years ago, I was just walking down the street minding my own business when I saw this bike. Nobody was guarding it, and the key was left in the ignition! Not very clever... So I used that opportunity.”
 
“Just like that?” Ryou asked, not quite able to believe this short, yet a bit mad history.
 
“Yeah, just like that,” Malik affirmed. “I had to change the number plate on it, though...and it took me almost five months to save enough money for this helmet... Not to mention I still have to watch out for the cops.” Somehow it was clear that he did not approve of his own past crime too much, the truth of it belying the mischievous grin on his face. Although this had never been one of Malik's serious issues, he indeed suffered from bad conscience whenever he reflected on that particular event.
 
The Egyptian needed to at least make an attempt to justify the theft to Ryou, no matter how unsuccessfully. “I'm not saying it was good of me...actually, I'm still ashamed of myself for stealing like that...”
 
Ryou understood perfectly. He believed Malik was neither a thief nor a criminal who enjoyed ruining other people's lives, and he could not bring himself to get angry with the Egyptian for trying to be as independent as possible. After all, having some way of transport seemed to be very useful in this dangerous part of the city. And Ryou most certainly wasn't going to sacrifice his beginning relationship with Malik just because of something the Egyptian himself regretted.
 
“You don't have to hate yourself,” Ryou said in an unbelievably convinced voice. “You deserve this great bike more than anybody else...and I think its previous owner was some terribly spoiled brat who was too lazy to make sure nobody would steal it. You must have taught him a lesson.”
 
Malik looked into the other's eyes, as if trying to spot a glint of pretense or lie in them, but saw nothing to that effect. Witnessing Ryou, who had probably never done anything illegal, claim that stealing a motorcycle was nothing repulsive on the Egyptian's part, was really a sight to behold. As little as we know about each other, Ryou can forgive me so easily...
 
“Do you still insist on taking me home, or do I have to go by myself?” the white-haired boy asked all of a sudden, smiling faintly.
 
The Egyptian snapped out of his reverie to answer, his voice relieved. “Don't ask these useless questions!”
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
The journey back to Ryou's home passed quietly, except for the rumbling caused by the motorbike that could not be silenced until they stopped. Malik didn't let the speed rise too high; he was absolutely content right now with his companion so close to him. I wish today was longer... He had no reason to look forward to returning to his empty `home' where nothing but coldness awaited him...and honestly, being with Ryou was more than a billion times better. In fact, it was much better than anything else to Malik.
 
The Egyptian sighed, wondering how his friend was going to spend the dark night. During the whole day, regardless of what they had been doing, the mysterious sorrow in those soft brown eyes had never really vanished. It was always present, concealed even in all those smiles... Would it attack Ryou once again when he was alone?
 
It was interesting how the whitenette's hidden sadness always made Malik forget about his own pain. The Egyptian stole a glance at the other's arms and hands wrapped securely around his waist - it felt so wonderful, even if it was necessary for riding a motorcycle. I'm getting used to it already...I really don't want to lose him.
 
At the same time, Ryou was tempted to rest his head on the other's shoulder, but found it inappropriate and uncomfortable for both of them with the helmet on. He replayed the scene from mere minutes ago over and over in his head, and always came to one conclusion - it was a shame that Malik, the kindest person he had ever met, had to live in such a horrible area. I will probably be afraid for him all the time from now on...
 
Their first day together was coming to its end mercilessly, each curve of the road cutting off the remaining time. However, one thing was clear - the two of them were not complete strangers anymore.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
 
 
 
Note about Malik's motorbike: I intended it to be the same or at least similar to the one he has in the anime, which doesn't say what brand the bike is. It could be anything - Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Harley-Davidson, Moto Guzzi, BMW...whatever. I prefer Japanese bikes and I like Kawasaki just a little bit more than the other ones, which is why I chose for Malik to have this brand (it could be, for example, VN 900 - that one is sooo nice)! Hope this doesn't bother anyone (it's not such a big deal for the story anyway, is it?) And I admit I don't know how Malik got the bike in the anime, but stealing was probably the only way for him to get it in this fic. So much for my ranting about this... ; )
LSS: Thank you so very much! I'm really happy that you're enjoying the story so far, and I hope I'll be able to fulfill your expectations! Here's another chapter for you... Thanks again!
 
Reviews are, as always, really appreciated. Thanks for reading! ^_^