Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of Shadow and Light ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A.N. Well, I was on such a kick that I'm now posting chapter 5. Hopefully, I'll be able to pull all of this off. I have two fics running through my mind right now, this one and The Key of Ra. ^-^ So, I'll see if I can't write both at once. So, now, on with Chapter five. And a big thanks to LadyGrey for editing this chapter. ^-^
 
 
Chapter Five
 
The sun was shining brightly through the room, a room that had been filled with the laughter and joy of a teenage boy not more then a week before, but now all that was left was the room. A shell filled with a solitary person with red eyes who was currently crouched in the farthest corner, staring out around the room, eyes glazed over as if somewhere else entirely.
Yami could picture his aibou in his mind. The small boy up and jumping around his room in his light cotton blue pajamas, the shirt unbuttoned showing off his chest and smooth stomach as he desperately tried to find a clean pair of underwear in the mess that he called a room.
The boy would turn at the sound of Yami's laughter and shoot him a pout, his cheeks red with embarrassment. `Yami if you aren't going to help me find them, then be quiet! I'm going to be late!'
Yami would then calmly walk over and pull out a pair of boxers from the pile of clean laundry Yugi had shoved under his bed in an attempt to clean his room the day before. Yugi would blush and snatch the garment and bolt off toward the bathroom to bathe.
Aibou… why is it that you're always the one who has to leave? Because of me, you always have to leave…
Yami swallowed back his sorrow, trying to bring the faded, ghostly image of his light back before his eyes, doing the little things that Yami missed the most. His sleepy face as Yami tried to wake him, his laughing smile as he spoke about his friends, hell even his blushing face when he spoke about Anzu; Yami missed it all.
From downstairs Yami could hear his friends as they spoke to Sugoroku about Yugi's sudden disappearance. Honda and Anzu had dropped by the morning after the fact, when Jonouchi had explained to them what all had happened, and since then the three had dropped by everyday more often then not, checking in to see how he was holding up.
Yami could only take so much comfort. He didn't want to push his friends away, but the truth was, there was nothing any of them could possibly do. They could not follow Yugi to the past, and there was no way to retrieve Yugi's soul. From what Shadi had said, Yugi would return when his mission in the past was completed, and all that any of them could do was wait.
But how am I supposed to wait when I can't even feel him?!
Yami glared, unconsciously calling upon his shadow magic, letting wisps of dark smoke curl around the room. He was tired of waiting, tired of the comfort of those who he did not want comfort from. He wanted Yugi, in his arms, safe and secure. He wanted to feel the warmth of the boy's soul next to his own, to feel his very presence, but no, even the slight pressure of his mind was gone, leaving Yami cold and alone for the first time in a long while, and the solitude was slowly eating him alive.
A soft knock resonated through the room, drawing Yami's attention to the door. He remained silent, not really wanting to deal with whoever had come up to speak with him. After his talk with Jonouchi, Yami felt it better to suffer alone than to burden his friends with his own fears after all, nothing could be done about them. His moment of weakness in telling Jonouchi had cost him a night's sleep after he'd had time to think over what he'd just done. He'd cleared his conscience by burdening someone else's.
Yami sighed, reminded of why he'd chosen to lock himself away inside of his aibou's territory. His room was all that remained; like his soul room, it belonged solely to Yugi. It was a mirror of his being.
“Yami? I know you're in there. You have to come out sometime.” It was Anzu. Yami turned from the door and closed his eyes, feeling foul. He closed his eyes and allowing the bright sunlight to seep through his lids, coloring his world red.
Why can't they just leave me alone? Haven't you caused enough damage?
Wasn't it enough that she had what he treasured most? Why should she try to help him when she knew his feelings? Yami opened his eyes slowly, his angered glare smoothing out. He knew better then to think that way, he knew how Anzu felt, knew how she was handling things. To push off his anger on her simply wasn't right, but all the same, Yami found it hard not to do so. He simply wanted to be left alone, but it seemed that no one was going to let him.
“Yami. Look, I know you miss Yugi, but sitting in there starving his body won't help him.”
Yami held back a sharp reply that `moving around wouldn't help his light either', knowing that it would only encourage Anzu to talk more.
“Yami, listen, I know there's nothing that can be done, but if we stay strong, perhaps we can get Isis to come back and maybe she can help us find out what's happening.”
I already know what's happening… Yami thought angrily, though the shadows in the room had lifted a bit allowing Yami to return to reality. Yugi's in my past being tortured by a version of myself I can't even remember.
“How could she help us?” Yami asked quietly, trying to shoot down Anzu and yet, also hoping that she'd have an answer. That she could put his questions and unease to rest. When Anzu spoke next he could hear the smile in her voice, it was soothing to hear it, and made Yami unconsciously relax.
“I honestly don't know Yami, but its better then wasting away right?” Yami was looking at the door when Anzu managed to open it and poked her head in, smiling gently. “Besides, you ever think that maybe this is how Yugi will find you?”
“What?” Yami asked, blinking in confusion at her odd statement and watched as she lowered her eyes to the floor to hide her longing. She'd confessed her love to him shortly after Yugi had been taken away during Battle City, hoping to ease some of his pain with her words of love.
Yami hadn't been very gentle with her feelings at the time and had confessed his own love for his aibou. He was surprised when she smiled and hugged him, saying that she was happy for them. She was also sad, but she had accepted his love for Yugi and helped him silently as slowly he realized that Yugi could never return his feelings. She really was a good friend, but he could see that she still cared for him in more than a friendly manner.
“I mean, what if while he's there he finds a way to love you in return Yami?” Anzu said, lifting blue eyes to his own. “In this time, it would be harder for him to find his love for you. Maybe this is they only way the gods knew to help you.”
Yami stayed silent. He knew the gods wouldn't have rearranged the time streams just so that he could have his heart's desire, but all the same, Yami clung to the fantasy Anzu had spun.
“All right. Let's call Isis.” Yami mumbled and allowed the girl to help him to his feet, her hold on him loving but friendly. Yami couldn't help but smile bitterly at the irony. Both of them loved someone who would never return their feelings, and both were willing to sacrifice their own happiness for the one they loved.
It was really bitter sweet.
“Sorry, Anzu.”
“It's all right Yami. Just don't give up on him.” Anzu smiled as they made their way down stairs. Somehow it didn't surprise him to see Kaiba and Mokuba seated on the couch next to Jonouchi and Honda. “Besides, my dream is in America, and no offense, but I doubt you'd like it there.”
Her smile seemed forced but Yami smiled back, understanding her silent plea for him to forget about it as everyone looked up at him.
“So, Yami, what are we going to do?” Jonouchi asked quietly, and Yami turned to look at Kaiba.
“Kaiba, how long will it take to fly to Egypt in your blue eyes jet?”
The whole room smiled.
 
^^^^^^
 
Atemu yawned as he made his way down the long corridor to his room. The council meeting with his advisor and priests, all of whom owned a respective Millennium Item, had lasted longer than he'd anticipated. The threat that Rome brought seemed to frighten not only him but most of those living in his kingdom.
Even Seth is uneasy. It takes a lot of work to upset that man.
Atemu sighed heavily, wishing that the Roman Empire was nothing but an old fairytale to tell to children who misbehaved. But wishing had never gotten him anywhere before, and he doubted that it would start to do so now.
His cape billowed out from behind him as he turned a corner, making his way to his room. Most times he'd be headed back to his secret room, to sort through the stack of papyrus papers and lists of the day's crops and problems, but not today.
He was tired and worn out. The tomb robber had broken in to yet another of his ancestors resting places, causing an uproar and further damaging the people of Kehmet by releasing a Shadow beast, leveling a small town.
Now the Bastard's no where to be found…
Atemu tried to ignore the painful headache that was building in his temples. It was going to be a long day, that was for certain, and a mid-day nap before he had to meet with Saimun about the construction of his tomb (which he was less than worried about) sounded like just the remedy he needed.
He entered the room only to come to an abrupt halt in the doorway, eyes narrowing in extreme annoyance. If he wants to talk about some matter involving those Roman tyrants, I am going to kill him…
“Mahado, if this is not a dire emergency, I may just have to hurt you.” Atemu stated dryly, feeling vaguely safe in the banter he shared with his priest. Atemu walked across the room and flopped down onto his bed groaning in relief as the weight was lifted from his feet. That was the last time he was going to stop his officials from turning on each other while discussing the problems of his kingdom, it was simply too tiring.
“pr-aA, I'm sorry to disturb you, but there is a matter that needs to be discussed.” Mahado began, and Atemu rolled over impatiently, covering his eyes with his arm, wishing he could throw his crown at the kneeling man.
“Mahado, if you were really sorry, you'd leave me be.” He let a pause rest in the air for a moment before sighing and sitting back up, knowing that his priest would not wait much longer for him to straighten up. “What is it Mahado?”
The priest looked up with shadowed eyes, rising to his full stature, his stance already showing that he was prepared to fight Atemu over this matter, and the young Pharaoh braced for the verbal battle that was sure to erupt.
“pr-aA… Atemu, that boy you sent to the dungeon… You have not checked on him for over four days now.”
Atemu blinked for a moment confused.
Boy? What boy?
Atemu was about to ask Mahado to explain himself when a sharp pulsation of light caught his eye, drawing his attention back to the `other' Millennium Puzzle, half buried under a silk cloth.
His crimson eyes widened in recognition and he turned back to look at his priest. “Oh. The boy. What about him? Four days won't kill him.” Atemu said flippantly, wondering why his white priest was concerned over something so frivolous as a prisoner.
“Atemu, you said yourself that he was a threat and needed to be observed. He is a small Xrd, pr-aA, and if that Puzzle does in fact belong to him,” Atemu shot Mahado a glare warning him not to further analyze that path, and the priest lowered his head to show that he meant no disrespect. “… all I'm saying is that that Millennium Item has been glowing and pulsing since the day you took it from him. If it is at all connected to that boy, then I think you should investigate further.”
Atemu ran a hand through his hair, his fingertips stubbing on the base of his crown. “I know Mahado, thank you for your concern in the matter.”
The priest bowed, understanding Atemu's silent dismissal and left the room, his posture still reprimanding the crimson eyed Pharaoh for his forgetfulness.
The boy… how could I forget that one.
Yami pondered, looking over at the Puzzle with concern. He knew the reason behind his mental question, understood that the real question was, how was he supposed to remember such a small incident? Kehmet was facing the beginnings of a drought, Rome was on their borders bringing either war or a treaty, and the thief Bakura was being a pain in the ass. How in all Ra's glory was he supposed to remember one small little boy?
But Mahado is correct. I have been neglecting my own duties to my people. And that Ra forsaken Puzzle has not been silent since I took it from him.
Atemu let out a breath of air and stood. It seemed his mid-day nap was to be put on hold until he'd settled the matter with the lap boy.
It was funny how the young man had been far from his mind for the last four days and yet, now that he thought of him, Atemu could clearly remember the younger one's face, not to mention his clothing and behavior.
Is he even from Kehmet? His skin was too pale, and his accent off, not to mention his complete disrespect for the son of Ra. Atemu knew that the boy's insolence should have made him angry, but somehow, it fit the boy, and instead, the memory caused him to smile.
Fine, I'll ask the boy about the Puzzle and where he's from, and then I'll figure out what to do with him.
Atemu nodded to himself as he left his chambers and made his way toward the lower level of the prison block, hoping that his odd clothes had at least been washed sometime during the last four days, though not really expecting it. Such was the fate of a prisoner. At least he'll be conscious and unharmed, able to talk.
With that, Atemu descended down the stairs to speak with the boy who owned A duplicate of his Millennium Puzzle.
 
^^^^^^
 
He hurt all over. His back burned with a numbing kind of icy fire, until he could no longer feel the trickling of running blood, nor the caked dried blood that puckered against his peeled flesh. I'm awake today… Yami… but I think I've missed the bus again. This cold is pretty bad…
Yugi felt the burn of tears in his eyes, but none of them fell. Not even the pretending helped to ease the truth of it all. No matter how much he tried to make believe that the cold stone beneath his nearly naked body was just his cold sheets, or that the pain was from pneumonia, he was always brought back to the hellish nightmare by his friend's evil double, stripped of his dirtied and ripped wrap, and beaten. It was usually the whip, but sometimes it was rocks and sticks, and on the rare occasion a fist or foot.
He'd lose consciousness and be back in his stony cell alone, his ripped up cloth tossed carelessly over his backside.
The humiliation was the worst of it, for him at least. The beatings hurt like hell, yes, but it hurt so much more to be seen and beaten while being naked. It was bad enough, the teasing for his height and looks back home in his time, but now, all his insecurities were laid out before him and were shoved into his face, and no one would care to stop it.
No one would save him.
Yugi blinked, trying to rid his eyes of the burning sting of his tears, but it only caused the gritty feeling behind his eyes to grow, causing more irritation to his red tinged amethyst eyes. If I just hold still, maybe they'll think I've died… maybe they'll leave me alone…
Yugi's face scrunched up with his own thoughts, and he had to remember not to make a sound at his indignation. Yeah, and maybe Pharaoh Yami will come down and stop the beatings…
Finally the tears fell, and Yugi pressed his face into the stone to try and stop the sound of his whimpers from alerting the guards to his waking state. Yami… why haven't you come yet? You said you'd deal with me later? Have you forgotten me? And, if that isn't really you, Yami, then why haven't you come after me? I went into your past to save you! I chased after you!
A strangled whimper eased its way from his mouth, and Yugi jumped at the loud sound, his heart thundering in his ears as he waited for someone to come in and drag him out into more ridicule and torment. It's over now… they're going to hurt me again, Yami… Yami… where are you? I know you wouldn't abandon me intentionally… ne? Ne, Yami?!
Tears escaped from his eyes as he tried to recall the face of his dark, his crimson eyes soft with mirth as they talked late into the night on the simplest of matters. Things that seemed so boringly normal to Yugi and yet, to Yami, it was the most interesting thing he'd ever seen.
Like television, a music video, a phone, and Yugi's personal favorite, his alarm clock. Yami, though very casual about it, had yet to understand the full workings of modern technology, and only showed his confusion and interest while safely secluded within Yugi's room where he could privately discuss his uncertainty with his small light. His most recent ponderings had been street lamps and battery-operated tooth brushes.
Yugi could clearly recall one conversation; it had been just after Yami had encountered rain and admitted that he loved it, and after being stranded in Yami's world for a week, Yugi could well understand Yami's infatuation with “sky water”.
The sound of footsteps froze the blood in his veins and Yugi sucked in a ridged breath. Pass by… pass by, I am dead… do not look this way. Yugi silently repeated his mantra of hope even as he heard his cell door squeak open and the metal grind against the sandstone floor.
“Wake up! You've had enough sleep!” Yugi tried desperately not to jump and cry when Jonoh's voice bellowed throughout his room and a violent hand grabbed his still healing shoulder. “I said get up you low-life scum!”
Jonoh jerked Yugi's shoulder back painfully and fresh blood tore from his new wounds and some puss escaped from the infected ones. The sharp pull on his frail form knocked Yugi from his `bed' and dumped him to the floor where his tender skin scraped and bruised. Yugi pulled himself into the fetal position, his mouth open in a silent scream of agony as he tried to protect himself and keep his body covered.
A disgusted snort broke through his haze of pain as Yugi was dragged back up to his wobbling feet. One of his hands still dropped to cover his lower region and Jonoh laughed in his face.
“Still trying to hold to your dignity?” He shook Yugi by his arm, nearly unbalancing him as he dragged Yugi from the room. “Give it up. You are nothing, and have nothing to defend.”
Yugi gasped and swallowed large bouts of air trying to stave off the panic his mind and body were falling into. His legs turned to jelly beneath him and he tripped more then once causing Jonoh to drag him, and his heart tried to stop beating, and his lungs tried to close. If I struggle it will only bring more pain… if I cry, they'll only beat me more… but… but….
“…please…” Yugi whimpered, shaking as his battered, naked form was dragged into the small circular area that held no roof, allowing the sun to blaze down hotly upon the area and blocking any breeze from entering. It was a small hell in itself, with two wooden poles extending high into the sky each holding a rope. Dark blood stains covered the ground between the two posts, and Yugi knew that most of those stains had come from him.
This was where he was taken day after day, where the sun could burn his pale skin, sand could clot his wounds, where whips and fists rained upon him until he was carried away on the black wings of unconsciousness. Yes, this was his hell. Yugi was aware that it was midday, the poles cast no shadows, and without thinking, Yugi dropped to his knees becoming dead weight.
“No!” Yugi cried out, and Jonoh, glared yanking hard on his arm.
“What did you say?” Jonoh asked before mocking him with laughter. “You want me to stop because you asked?” The Egyptian threw back his head and laughed. Yugi began to squirm, twisting and pushing at the hand that held him. Yugi didn't know what had gotten into him, but he continued to struggle. His knew his efforts would only result in more pain, but he simply couldn't stop. No! I won't give in! No! NO! NO!! Yami, if you won't save me, then I'll save myself, Damn it!
Yugi cried and dug his heels into the hot burning sand, and shoved backward, only to have Jonoh's laughter cease as the tall man ripped him off his feet and onto the ground. A sickening pop filled Yugi's mind as his arm went numb and icy fire encased his shoulder.
“You won't even punch or kick back, and you expect us to simply go easy on you? You attacked the pr-aA, and for that, you deserve to die. But because pr-aA saved your life, I will instead take your crimes from you hide.”
Yugi barely heard the bellow, too intent on trying to move his fingers, becoming terrified when they did not respond. He popped my shoulder out of joint… I… I have to… to fix it…
Yugi forced himself to sit up, his left hand helplessly feeling for his shoulder bone and trying to figure out how to push it back into place. Jonoh's eyes narrowed in contempt and he approached the fallen boy, kicking him down again, his dirty sandal grinding into his scarred and ripped back.
“AH!” Yugi screamed, the pain from his shoulder and whippings overwhelming him in a fiery agony.
“See, that's what you get for ignoring me. Now you shall be punished.” The joy in Jonoh's voice was obvious and it tore at Yugi's heart, knowing that his pain had only just begun, and felt the weight of the foot lift from his back, knowing it would soon come back down, and had just enough time to panic over whether his ribs would break when finally his nightmare ended.
“Jonoh!” The voice commanded his attacker to halt with out saying any other words, and Yugi found his eyes open in shocked wonder, hope filling his every nerve. Watery eyes looked out over the sandy ground, and focused on the voice's body, knowing who he'd see before his eyes landed on the sun kissed man dressed in royal garbs of white trimmed in gold, his sword drawn and pointed dangerously at his tormentor, crimson eyes flashing with rage as he stepped across the area to put a stop to his pain. Yugi smiled and whimpered, drawing the attention of his savior to him, and watched those ruby eyes widen and fill with guilt. Yugi wanted to stand and smile, tell his other that everything was all right, but his body wouldn't move, so all he could do was whimper and smile up at him, while grateful tears poured from his eyes.
Yami, I had a dream today. You came.. and you saved me from the pain… and I was never so happy… Yami…
 
^^^^^^
 
Atemu's patience was wearing thin. He'd come to the lower bowels of his palace intent on finding the boy with ease, yet every guard he questioned seemed to avoid the question and sputter excuses for not knowing.
I should banish them all to the shadow realm for their incompetence… Atemu thought angrily. How can you misplace one little Xrd? The only prisoner you are not supposed to maim, kill, or touch?
At the end of his tether, Atemu turned toward the whipping chamber, assured by the last guard that Jonoh would be there. If nothing else, his top and most trusted guard would be able to assist him in finding the boy. At least, he hoped that would be the case.
An anguished cry came from the lighted archway that opened up and into the whipping chamber, and for some reason, the cry unsettled Atemu. The pharaoh paused a moment, feeling the cold chill that ran through his body at the sound, before shaking it off.
It's nothing more then a criminal receiving his punishment. It's not like I've never heard it before.
Atemu stood tall as he walked through the doorway, his mouth already open to question his friend, when his eyes landed on the prisoner below Jonoh. His eyes widened in shocked horror at the sight of the small boy, naked and bare upon the earth, just dust and grime clinging to his body as blood and infection oozed from his reddened back.
A deep shade of burnt red was splashed across the boy's shoulders and neck, standing out drastically against his pale skin, and his face was scrunched tight, tears carelessly falling from his eyes as his perfect teeth bit into his lower lip to contain his cries.
“See, that's what you get for ignoring me. Now you shall be punished.” Jonoh's voice echoed in the room, holding such joy that it caused Atemu to feel sick. The boy's eyes widened blindly in horror, and Atemu could see that the boy knew what was going to happen to him.
A rage built up inside of him, and before Atemu was aware he had moved, he'd drawn his sword and called out to his Guard. “Jonoh!”
His own voice seemed not to belong to him, so contorted with anger it came out more of a guttural growl than an actual shout, but he was pleased at the reaction that the tone had brought.
Jonoh's head snapped up, his golden eyes wide with fear as he moved back and away from the broken boy. Atemu growled deep in his throat, stepping closer, his blade raised to kill.
It was a crime to disobey the Pharaoh, Jonoh knew of this well, and so he should not even defend himself, could not defend himself now. Crimson eyes glanced down to the one on the ground when a soft cry reached his ears, and Atemu felt his heart twist painfully.
He was smiling. The boy was smiling and trying to speak out his gratitude but only choked whimper's escaped. Atemu felt his self disgust rise as the boy struggled a moment to move, his eyes showing comfort and acceptance even as he collapsed back to the ground with a soft whimper.
This is my fault. Mahado was right, I should have checked on him the same day I had him placed here…
Atemu managed a soft look and a gentle nod to the boy, whose eyes now seemed glazed, promising himself that he would let nothing else cause harm to the boy.
Distantly, Atemu noticed the way the prisoner's right arm fell limp, assessed that the arm was pulled from its place, and turned his angered gaze back up to the culprit at hand.
“Jonoh, did I not command that this one should not be harmed?” Atemu questioned, his eyes narrowing at the tight-lipped and tense nod his guard and friend gave him. A part of him wished that his guard would back down and claim ignorance, beg for forgiveness, but he knew Jonoh well enough to know that the man would not do so.
“Yes, pr-aA. I was aware.”
“And still you disobeyed my orders?” Again the question was half hopeful, and again the guard met Atemu's eyes and nodded, his gaze unrepentant.
“Yes, pr-aA, I did.”
Atemu inwardly sighed, though his outward appearance did not change. It was law, and Jonoh's death was already assured. “Then you will concede to the punishment for your disobedience.” This time, it was not a question, and Jonoh knelt to one knee, head bowed low, baring his neck.
Atemu lifted his sword high, the sunlight glinting off of the silver blade as he decreed his punishment. “Then you shall be killed for your crimes. May the gods be merciful on your deceiving soul.”
The blade shifted, arching down to remove Jonoh's head from his neck when a sudden weight gripped his arm, pulling it to the side and pulling Atemu down into a hunched position, his sword falling harmlessly to the ground next to the surprised Jonoh.
“Stop Yami! Don't kill him…”
“What…” Atemu's eyes fell onto the boy, still bloodied and broken, who now was curled around his arm protecting his own tormentor. “What do you mean, stop?” Atemu asked slowly, not even bothering to put the small boy into his place. “He has hurt you, nearly killed you, and has defied my orders, so why should I not take his life?” Atemu's voice steadied out, and his eyes narrowed at the youth on his arm, daring him to answer, and was shocked into silence when the boy's eyes lifted and crashed with his own.
The amethyst eyes, that had been so weak, so broken before, were hard and steely, competing with his own crimson stare, and stared him down. “Because… Yami… he simply wanted … to protect you… and your image. He did it for you.”
The gaze held firm for several moments, locking the Pharaoh into place, forcing him to bend to his will.
Who… is this boy? How can he do this… to me? And how can he forgive Jonoh… forgive him for—
Atemu's ponderings were cut short as the boy's eyes suddenly rolled up and into his head and he fell limp. Moving quickly, Atemu had dropped his sword and gathered the boy into his arms tenderly, wary of his torn back, and cradled his head close to his chest.
You used the last of your strength to spare Jonoh's life? To stop me form killing he who would kill you?
Atemu smiled kindly at the peaceful looking face, and stood slipping his arm under the youth's legs once his sword had been replaced at his side.
Fine, I will respect your wishes and spare him… for now.
Turning his eyes from the sleeping boy, Atemu glared down his nose at the guard who still knelt before him, Jonoh's eyes trained on the boy Atemu held with a look of shock and disbelief.
Kindness is new to you, isn't it, Jonoh? Atemu questioned silently, turning his gaze back to the boy for but a moment. It is new for me as well…
“Jonoh, I will spare your life for his sake. But when I see you next, we shall play a game… a shadow game.”
Atemu watched Jonoh's reaction to his fate with a cold stare and felt the smallest bit of respect for the man when he bowed and said in a quiet voice, “Yes, pr-aA.”
Atemu nodded once, and then turned and made his way out of the place, feeling the boy in his arms breathe and snuggle closer to him when the shadows fell over his face. With out conscious thought, Atemu shifted the boy closer giving him warmth and cover with his body as he made his through the palace.
Hold on little one, Isis will fix you right up. Everything will be just fine.
The boy smiled in his arms, relaxing slightly against Atemu as if he had actually heard Atemu's thought of comfort, and gave a soft sigh his words barely audible to the Pharaoh's ears, “Arigatou… Yami….”
Atemu looked down with a worried glance before quickening his pace. I guess our talk and my answers will have to wait…
Atemu gave a soft sigh of annoyance. It looked like he wasn't going to get his nap after all.
 
^^^^^^
 
Yugi curled deeper into his bed sheets with a groan, shielding his eyes from the sunlight that threatened to steal him from his dreams. His comforter and sheets deluded the light giving it a soft cream tinged glow, lulling his mind back into the comforting embrace of sleep. At least, it would have had a very amused voice not intruded on his sanctuary.
“Aibou, you need to get up now. Jii-san left already, you need to open the shop for him now.”
“Nooo… tired… sleep… Yami…” Yugi mumbled, trying not to speak loudly, his own voice slowly dragging him from his dreams. Yami chuckled and Yugi could feel his mattress shift as the spirit plopped down beside him.
“Yes, Aibou, that's what happens when you decide to stay up all night challenging me to duels.”
Yugi grunted thinking that maybe if he didn't respond Yami would quiet up. No such luck. “Aibou, you really must get up now. Or should I bring in a glass of ice water?”
“Do it, and I'll make sure the next month for you is hell.” Yugi threatened right back, though his pouty tone did little to intimidate. Yami must have agreed since he just laughed again.
“Then how about we spare each other the icy wake up call and the month of hell, and you get up now?”
Yugi wasn't going to respond, sleep slowly drawing him away when Yami suddenly fell backwards flattening the young teen under him. “Aibou, it's time to wake up.”
“What are you? A deranged sleep-Nazi alarm clock?” Yugi muttered angrily, though beneath the blankets he was laughing.
“If it will get you up, then yes, I am.”
Yugi chuckled, and slowly started to open his eyes, ready to greet the world. “Fine, but you'd better help out, Yami.”
The shadows laughter echoed in his ears.
“Deal, Aibou.”
 
Yugi blinked slowly, as his eyes focused and he realized that he was not in his bed at home, and Yami was not over him, wearing his god awful school uniform and leathers, waiting for him to wake up with a pleasant smile. Where… am I? Yugi thought as he slowly moved his head from side to side, taking in the bright sunshine that filled the sandstone room. It was large and mostly open, allowing a nice cross breeze through. Large pillars held up the ceiling and had hieroglyphs carved and painted around them. Symbols and paintings of Hike, god of magic and medicine ran along the stone and Yugi was then aware of the clean feeling that surrounded him, as well as the constricting cloth around his chest.
The bandages itched slightly, and Yugi could feel the slight burn of the medicine on his sore back. The room smelled of incense and myrrh and made Yugi feel drowsy. Why am I here? Last thing I remember is…
Memory flashed through Yugi's mind and his amethyst eyes jolted open as his chest filled with aching hope. “Yami.”
Yugi smiled to himself, looking around for his other half, saddened when he could find no trace of him. Yami saved me… and then tried to kill Jonouchi… no, not Jonouchi, Jonoh. He tried to kill him… did I stop him in time? Yugi's mind raced and he forced himself up into a seated position. His body burned and ached with his movement and Yugi cringed and released a short gasp. He lifted his hand to his right shoulder, curling his right arm against his chest to stave off the throb of pain, and then realized what his movement meant.
“My arm… it's fixed…”
Yugi's attention was so focused on his sore, but working limb, that he didn't notice the figure that approached his bedside slowly.
“Wow… Sugoi… ore wa genki desu.” Yugi smiled again, the motion feeling odd on his face from days of disuse. “Ah, Jonoh-san!” Yugi swung around intending to find the man and make sure that he was unharmed but was stopped by the person beside him.
Yugi froze, his eyes wide, “No way… is that… is it really you?” Yugi blinked and the person gave him a guilty look, head lowering in shame.
“I'm so sorry, Yugi, I should have hidden you better. This is all my fault. If I'd left you at home—“
“Anuksu!” Yugi cried joyously, his arms flinging around the girl startling her at his sudden embrace. “I'm so glad to see you again! How did you get in? Did they take you too?” Yugi pulled back to question the girl and finally took notice of her attire. “And why are you dressed like a belly dancer?” Yugi tilted his head to the side curiously, and watched as Anuksu's eyes finally looked up and into his own.
“You are not angry with me?”
“Huh? Should I be?” Yugi asked confused, and Anuksu gave a watery laugh, her hand ruffling his hair.
“You're a nice person Yugi.”
Yugi blushed and returned the smile, feeling somewhat normal for the first time in days. “Thanks, but, why—“
“I work here remember? I'm a dancer for the pr-aA. I saw the pr-aA carry you to this room, and I followed. I stepped out of line and asked him what had happened to you. I guess he was too worried to notice my disrespect. He didn't punish me, but after he'd given you to Isis, he pulled me aside and asked me about you.”
“Isis?” Yugi asked, a chill running down his spine. It was a bit creepy when a friend was seriously around and looking the same as she did five thousand years ago. Isis… why would he bring me to—
“She's the healer. Oh, and I told them you didn't like “skirts” or whatever you called it, and they let me look for this.” Anuksu said with a smile, holding out her arms and presenting Yugi with the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen.
“My school uniform.” Yugi's eyes teared up as he gently pulled the clothing into his arms, pressing it to his face and breathing in deeply. The smell of his home wafted back to him. He hadn't been aware of how much he'd missed his own smell, and he sniffled slightly. Jii-chan, I miss you Jii-chan.
“I don't know why Atemu saved you, Yugi. But I'd keep those clothes hidden.” Anuksu warned, and Yugi looked up at her, his uncertainty returning.
“Hide them?” Yugi looked down at the blue cloth, his only link to his home and lightly ran his fingertips over it.
“Yes. Keep them safe. I must leave now, before Isis returns with pr-aA, but I'll stay close, so don't worry Yugi. I'll protect you.” Yugi looked up and into the eyes of his friend and smiled with a nod.
“Thank you, Anuksu.”
The girl nodded once and then hurried from the room. Yugi watched her for a moment, content to know he had at least one friend with him. Yami and the others will come for me. I just need to be patient. That's all… they'll need to gather the Millennium Items and the god cards and get to Egypt, so of course it will take a while. I just… need… to wait.
Yugi's fingers brushed over his clothes, feeling the harsh cotton against his finger tips and remembering the comfort of those clothes. His hand hit something hard in the pocket of his pants and Yugi jumped, looking toward it. He slid his hand inside of the pocket and pulled out the object with in.
“Aha! They didn't find my cards!” Yugi beamed, holding the deck of duel monsters reverently in his palm. “Hey guys… miss me?” Yugi spoke to the inanimate cards with a smile, glad to have them with him, though he doubted his gaming board would even work in ancient Egypt, not to mention that he didn't have the board in the first place, but that didn't mean the cards couldn't hear him. Right?
“Can you guys hear me? Do you know me? Or have I been completely forgotten in this time?” Yugi asked sadly, and felt a warmth fill him from his cards. He might have imagined it, might have made it up in an attempt to feel safe, but after believing in the heart of the cards for so long, Yugi wanted to believe that they had answered his question.
“Everything's going to be fine, now… just fine.”
 
^^^^^^
 
Atemu could see Yugi from the door way, and cringed at the numerous bandages that wrapped his back and wrists. He'd not been allowed to stay for the healing, that being a sacred ritual and all, but he'd heard from Isis the complete list of damages done and wondered, not for the first time, if he'd been right to spare Jonoh's life.
Yugi is just a boy… the dancer said as much. And from what Mahado and the girl say, Yugi is of no threat to me, consciously.
Atemu smiled as the boy seemed to take comfort from his own strange attire and slowly approached his side. He needed to speak to him if he was to protect Yugi from any more pain.
The safest choice would be to make him a palace slave, one that attends to me. I could keep an eye on him, and keep him from harm all at once.
Atemu reasoned with himself on the matter, refusing to think of why he wanted to help the boy at all. It was something he could not explain easily, and therefore did not want to think of it.
He was certain it was guilt, but a Pharaoh was not to feel such things, so Atemu refused to admit that he felt responsible for the hurt and injuries the boy sustained.
Standing over him, Atemu looked over Yugi's shoulder, curiously eyeing the brightly colored paper pictures in Yugi's hands.
These are what Mahado spoke of. Shadow monsters on small bits of papyrus… this boy hold's so many…
“Are you sure you are well enough to be up?” Atemu asked when the boy failed to notice him. Yugi jumped, gripping the cards and clothing to his chest as he turned to look at him. Surprisingly, the sight of Atemu seemed to calm Yugi rather than intimidate him, and Atemu couldn't help but wonder where he'd come from that he would not fear his presence.
“It hurts a bit… but I guess I'm used to it now.” Yugi said with a smile and a nod. His eyes trained on his hands as he fiddled with placing the cards back into his pocket. “… how is Jonoh?”
The question blew Atemu away, and he gave Yugi a concerned look. “Why should you care?” His own inquiry seemed to scare Yugi, as he turn to look at Atemu with wide eyes.
“Because… he was only doing what he thought was right… and I don't want to see him hurt.”
Atemu shook his head, laying a soothing hand on top of Yugi's head. The feeling of familiarity filtered through his insides, but Atemu shook it off abruptly. “You are a strange one. He is fine, for now, Yugi, but now you should rest. When you are well, you will start your duties as a palace servant. Do you understand?”
Yugi blinked and turned to him for a moment, seemingly saddened by his words before nodding slowly. Atemu moved to leave his side, but found himself stopping to explain himself. “It will be safer for you to reside here as a Hm. Safer for you, and Kehmet.”
“Wakarimasu.”
“What?” Atemu regarded the boy again.
Yugi jumped again with a nervous smile, “Uh.. yeah, I understand.”
Atemu gave him a look, unsure of what to make of the boy's actions when Yugi asked the question Atemu had been most worried of.
“Can I have my Puzzle back now?”
“Why?” Atemu responded, with a glare of distrust. There were many reasons as to why one would require the Millennium Puzzle, and not one of them was a good reason.
Why do you wish for the Puzzle Yugi? For it's power? It's symbol? For your shadow magic?
Atemu narrowed his eyes, intent on reading the boy completely. If he lied, Atemu would know. Yugi looked away from him, a distant smile on his face as he spoke, his voice and tone so innocent and truthful that it left no room for doubt in his words.
“To be honest, I feel kinda lost, and that Puzzle is my treasure from my home. It means a lot to me. I spent eight years trying to assemble it, and right now… it feels like a key to my home. That's why.”
Atemu didn't know what to say. He didn't appear to be lying, but then again, he didn't know if he could be trusted either. Atemu's lips tightened into a line and he turned to leave. He could not make a decision now, he'd have to wait and see who Yugi was with his own eyes.
If you are as innocent as you appear, then I will return your Puzzle. If you turn false…
“Yami!?” The panicked question stopped Atemu's retreat and he turned back to the boy and saw the worry on his small bruised face and sighed, his look softening slightly.
“Rest now, we'll talk more later. So rest now, little one.” His words caused Yugi to smile, and the boy nodded his head and lay back onto the raised bed in the center of the room. Atemu watched his stiff movements for a moment more, before again turning to take his leave.
“Yami?”
Yami? … nothing I do will get him to stop calling me that, will it? Where in all of Kehmet did he come up with that anyway?
Atemu found slight humor in the nickname and turned around, not bothering to correct him. “Yes?”
Yugi turned a light pink, and he looked at his finger tips as they tapped against each other nervously. It was a cute sight, and Atemu found it slightly endearing to see. He turned completely around to face the embarrassed youth. Atemu walked to his side looking down at Yugi with softened crimson eyes.
“What is it you want little one?” Atemu chuckled to himself when Yugi looked up at him, looking for all the world like a small lost child.
“Could… could you, stay with me, just a bit? Until I fall asleep, Yami? I'm… I'm scared.”
The confession took Atemu by surprise, and he stared at the boy for several long minutes watching his hopeful expression crumble at his silence.
“Fine. I will stay, until you fall asleep.” Atemu stated, and watched the boy's eyes light up.
“Thanks, Yami.”
Atemu nodded, and stood over the boy, as he closed his eyes and relaxed slowly into slumber. Atemu's eyes were soft as he reached out to smooth his hand over the boy's head as if he were comforting a tiny child.
He has no respect for me, the pr-aA. No care for the rules of this place, and yet, it is not offending. Who are you, little one? Why are you here?
Atemu stopped touching Yugi, and pulled his hand back to stare at it in confusing. The boy's actions were somehow endearing, but confusing as well.
What are you here for?
Atemu kept watch over Yugi, his crimson eyes looking over the damage his negligence had caused until Isis returned and forced him out. All the while he wondered if his pity and concern for Yugi was good or bad.
The Pharaoh of Upper and Lower Kehmet simply did not know.
 
~~~~~~~~
 
(Ending Theme: “Night Flowers”)
 
ai no kuni wo samayou
watashi wo mitsuke dashite
tsubasa ni wa mada
surikireta hazu no kokoro   kakushite
 
watashi no mune wo someta
ikusen no hanabira wa
kanashii kurai   anata wo koishiku saseru
mou ichido
 
sugaritsuku shunkan
surinukeru maboroshi
anata no subete wo ubai saritai
 
itetsuita   NAIFU kazashi
ai wa mau   yoru no hana wo chirashite
 
aishite, iyasarete, tokihanatsu - kokoro sae...
motto hageshiku kanjite
 
sadame nara
yasuragi mo, nukumori mo iranai
 
itetsuita   NAIFU kazashi
ai wa mau   yoru no hana wo chirashite
 
kowashite, kizutsukete, tojikomete - kokoro sae...
motto hageshiku aishite
 
 
A.N. Well, that's chapter five. Sorry if Yami seemed a bit too wussy, but you have to think of it like this; when Yami lost Yugi in the Battle City episodes, it drove him crazy (kinda) but he had a way to save him. Now, he's lost Yugi again, but he has NO WAY of rescuing him. No way of knowing when or if Yugi will return, and it's slowly eating him alive. Now we have Atemu. He's been raised as a Pharaoh, admittedly he's MUCH more lax then any real Pharaoh would have been, but I fear people will hate him for his coldness. Again try to look at his point of view. Now if there are still character flaws that can't be explained by the circumstances and situations that the characters are dealing with, please let me know. And also, I don't like Anzu, but I think she's a good friend so, nothing evil will happen to her. Sorry. ^-^
 
Lechan
 
And remember…. REVIEW! ^-^ Please?