Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of Shadow and Light ❯ Chapter Ten ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A.N. Back again with chapter 10. Damn this fic is just flying by for me… *sobs* I'm really going to miss it when it's done. Maybe I'll rewrite it afterwards, fix it up. LOL Only one chapter to go until some real action, bet you all can't wait huh? As always enjoy! ^-^
 
 
Chapter: Ten
 
The sun was setting on another day. The sky was painted with bright colors as the day came to a close, but it only reminded her of how long her best friend had been gone.
Yugi, what's taking so long? You baka, we have tests coming up you know! And you can't expect Yami to take them for you! Anzu thought sadly, wishing that she could yell those words at the small teenager whose smile alone lifted her spirits and caused her to hope for more.
Anzu's hand clenched into a fist. She hated not being able to do anything, but that was what had been laid out before them by Isis. There was no way for any of them to travel into Yami's memories to retrieve Yugi. If anyone tried, Yugi would parish. At least, that was how Anzu had taken the Egyptian's words.
Yugi… Anzu felt tears in her eyes, and harshly rubbed them away. She couldn't break down, she had to keep up her hope, after all, Yugi wasn't there to support them anymore, so it was up to her.
Kaiba had returned nearly a week before, with nothing but a few facts and reassurances from Isis that things where being taken care of, and that everything would be fine.
But that was all lies.
Nothing was fine. Honda was so irritable now that only Jonouchi could stand him. Jonouchi was quite and solemn, and Yami. Kami, she didn't even want to think of his reaction. He started to act like his old self, confidant and brave, but then Kaiba returned. Since then, Yami hadn't shown up for school, not that Anzu really blamed him.
Anzu watched the fading light with sad eyes. She missed Yugi, very badly. After all, they'd been friends since they had been little. It was his smile that she cared most for though. He was so small, you wanted to protect him. And he was so special, so light, and innocent that you wished to keep him all to yourself, by your side forever.
Anzu released a bitter laugh.
She wanted to protect him, but, somehow he was the one always saving her. When her parents told her that dancing was a waste of time, it was Yugi who told her to keep at it. When she had no lunch money because she was using that to pay for dance lessons, Yugi shared his with her. In every battle up to that point where he was taken away, he protected her. He even sacrificed his soul for the hope of the world, for everyone, for her.
And always, he did it with a smile.
She had only been there once for him, and at the time, she'd not known how to help. The night of his father's car crash, she had been over to his house. They'd been young, had just recently met. Yugi was crying in a corner, when she found him. For a long time all she could do was stare, but after a few moments she moved over and gave him a hug.
But she could do nothing else.
It seemed all she was good for was silent support. To be the black smiley face on the back of his hand, the voice that told him not to give up, the annoying reminder that friendship conquers all. Because in the end, that's all she could do. It wasn't much, but it was something.
Anzu gave a heavy sigh, reminded of how it had been when Doom had tried to take over the world. When Yami returned with news that Yugi's soul have been taken, it had been a heavy blow. She didn't know how to take it at first. Her best friend, the bonding glue that held the five of them together, was gone. She'd reverted back to what she'd known, and had tried to lighten the mood, to bring hope and faith to their little group, but it hadn't been enough.
Yami… he feels this so much more deeply than any of us… but still…. We still….
Anzu's fist shook as she tried to hold back her tears. It had been so long already, what if Yugi's soul could not return to his body? What if the connection was shattered?
“No… stop thinking like that, Anzu!” She whispered to herself, smacking her cheeks with her hands to stop the tears that brimmed her eyes. “What would Yugi say if he saw you being so weak, huh? He's counting on you… to hold everyone together…. So… you have… have to be strong.” Anzu closed her eyes and smiled, though her face felt strained and tight at the forced action.
The sun winked out behind the horizon, and a single tear escaped. It ran down her face, testament to her pain. Her insides ached and burned as if begging her break down and scream out her torment, but she could not do so.
“I wanted to protect him… but… I can't. I really can't, can I?” Anzu laughed bitterly to herself, rubbing the tear away with a hand. “No… I can't protect him. But, he can…” Anzu breathed a sigh of relief, picturing the spirit of the millennium puzzle in her mind. She could trust him to do what she could not, and so, she placed all her faith in him. After all, that was all she could do.
I am his friend… that is enough for me.
The phone rang out in the hall, a piercing sound that broke off as her mother answered. She could hear the soft murmur of her voice as she spoke to the person on the other end. A few seconds later, her mother was calling up the stairs for her.
“Anzu-chan, Yugi's on the phone!”
Anzu felt a cold lump in her chest, he mind drifting to a time not to long ago, when Yugi's little calls would be expected. When the only thing he'd need to ask her about would be homework or whether she wanted to join the group at the arcade.
“I—I'm coming!” Anzu choked out, running down the stairs to the landing where her mother stood with the phone. Her mother gave her an angered look for running in the house, but said nothing as she left.
Hopefully, Anzu lifted the phone to her ear, her heat thumping wildly in hopes that Yugi really would be on the other line. “Moshi, Moshi, Anzu desu.”
“Anzu, sorry to bother you, but I wished to speak with you.” The solemn tone of Yami echoed in the ear piece and caused her heart to grow heavy. She choked back a saddened sigh, not wanting Yami to know that she was suffering as well.
“It's all right. What do you need, Yami?” Anzu asked, her voice sounding much more cheerier than she felt. The silence was aggravating, but didn't last long.
“… Could you meet me at Burger World? I'd rather not talk over the phone.” Yami asked with a meek tone, that Anzu detested.
“Sure. I'll see you in ten.” She didn't even wait for his confirmation, Anzu just hung up, and quickly tore up the stairs to change from her school uniform. “I'm going out mom, I'll be back in a few hours.”
“Anzu-chan, where—“
“Yugi needs some help.”
“Oh, all right dear. Be safe.” Anzu's mother called after her as she darted out of the house and into the darkened streets.
“Sure mom.” Anzu said with another forced smile.
I'm not the one who needs the blessing… it's Yugi who needs that. Anzu refrained from speaking her thoughts, as she turned and made her way to the usual meeting place.
 
^^^^^^^^
 
The darkness rose about like wisps of smoke. It swirled and encased Yugi's small form like chains. It was cold, and frightening as the silence turned to deafening screams. Yugi knew this place, knew the darkness that tried to swallow him, and the shadows that tugged at his soul. He'd been here before, had known the horror of such black magic as he'd sought to out smart the millennium eye, to keep Pegasus from winning the final match.
Yugi trembled inside with remembered fears, the feeling of being crushed under the weight of this abyss, the memory of dying. Yugi tried to hold back his whimper, knowing that if he gave into his fear now that he would not make it out alive, but something else was not right. The feeling of being watched surrounded Yugi, and made him tremble with unease. It was unnerving, and made his stomach twist with agony.
What was it? What was different?
A dark shadow moved and the feelings increased, as a low snarl took up the silence and killed the whimpering that followed the screams from before. Yugi sucked in a breath, horrified of what kind of shadow beast now stalked him. And he knew it was stalking him, he could feel its gaze upon him, knew that it hated him with everything it held with in, and understood what it wished to do to him.
Yugi swallowed back his cry, and reached out desperately for his only hope, and met with nothingness. Yugi jumped, finally knowing what was wrong, what was different, and out of place.
“Yami…” Yugi breathed out, and saw the beast grin at him menacingly. It approached him slowly, and Yugi found that the wisps had turned to chains that bound him still. An agonized scream forced its way past his lips as he started to struggle against his bindings. Struggled for his life.
Yami wasn't there.
That was the only thing ringing through his mind as the monster drew closer, its jaws open for the kill. Yami wasn't there to save him, he was going to die.
“Yami!”
The Jaws tore his throat open.
 
Yugi's eyes snapped open with the sound of his own cry, and his eyes darted frantically around the lighted room. His adrenaline rushed through him urging him to run, escape, fight. He wasn't aware that he was panting and near hyperventilating, until a sharp grip to his shoulder, and a cutting voice broke through his hysteria.
“Yugi! It's a dream!” The voice, he knew that voice. Yugi swung his gaze forward and whimpered with joy as his eyes met the concerned crimson of his other half. His vision blurred as tears burned his eyes, and Yugi let out a pitiful cry. Yami! Yami, it's you Yami!
“Yugi, are you—“ Yugi cut the man off as he threw his arms around his darkness, pulling him down and upon himself.
“YAMI!” Yugi cried out, pressing his face into the crook of the other's neck, rubbing his face into the shoulder as the terror left him with a trembling force. “Yami! Yami…” Yugi kept repeating the name, not careing how this would look, not noticing how different his room seemed to be, and definitely not remembering where he was. It was a nightmare, I'm safe. Yami's here, I didn't die… everything will be just fine… just fine.
Yugi clung more tightly to his dark half breathing heavily to try and calm himself. He breathed in the heavy sent of dust and spices, the smell of the sands, Yami's smell, and snuggled closer to the warmth and strength that he provided.
Yugi knew that he looked weak, but at the moment he didn't care. Because Yami was there. It was okay to break, to cry and need support. As long as his darkness was there he could do that. He didn't have to stand on his own all the time, it was okay to be scared.
Yugi gave a soft sound and wrapped his arms more securely around the form before him, and when he still wasn't close enough, he locked one leg around the others waist. His dark gave a startled gasp, and Yugi had the dignity to blush lightly at the position that they were in, but he was more concerned with getting comfort at the moment than he was about looking odd.
“Hold me Yami…” Yugi whimpered, and he felt the tremor that shook his dark's frame and the hot breath that rushed against his ear at his sudden exhalation. Yami? What's with you? Why are you acting so strange? Yugi was a bit unnerved when his dark didn't respond, but quickly shoved the thought aside when the solid, warm arms encircled his waist and held him close to the steadily beating heart.
Yugi's brow furrowed.
Beating heart? Since when has Yami ever had a heart beat? Yugi's eyes shot open as reality sunk back in, and with it the memories of where and when, he was. Yugi gave a small squeak and froze, looking down at the dark colored skin that his pale arms clutched.
“Uhm…” Yugi swallowed hard, feeling rather foolish, and tried not to notice the difference in the speed of their two hearts. Damn it! I'm so stupid! This is Yami… but, he was sick last night! Kuso, is he okay?
Forgetting his embarrassment, Yugi wriggled back to press his forehead to the pharaoh's. Crimson eyes widened, and the heart beat increased, as his breath caught. “You okay? You don't still feel bad do you?”
The panicked look left the defined face, and Atemu smiled, his hold growing tighter for only a moment before relaxing once more.
“No, akhu, I am well. Thanks to you.”
Yugi beamed at the news and hugged his dark half close, needing to feel his connection since the link still rang eerily silent. It's just like before. Yami… my Yami…
 
^^^^^^^^
 
Atemu returned Yugi's hug with a bit of unease. It wasn't that hugging Yugi was detestable, it was the fact that Atemu liked holding him just a little too much. It didn't help matters that he was now currently half crouched, half laying on top of the slender, delicate, body of the teen he found desirable, and that they were resting upon the harem bed. The place where certain acts where to be performed.
Damn, I can't handle this… Atemu thought vainly, as certain parts of his body reacted to the careless actions of his little light.
Does he have any clue as to what this is doing to me?
Yugi smiled and nuzzled his shoulder a bit, and Atemu suppressed a groan rolling his eyes.
That would be a no.
Atemu sighed, trying to forget the feeling of Yugi's leg wrapped up and over his hip, the arms that pressed the soft body to his own, and the warmth that came from the small dancer. Atemu scowled, he did not need to remember how well Yugi danced at this time.
“Yugi,” Atemu said disentangling himself quickly from the temptation that was beneath him. Amethyst eyes pouted back at him, and a sharp bought of lust tore through Atemu's body. He froze, torn between leaving the boy and simply throwing him down and relieving himself.
What in all of Ra's name am I thinking? Atemu scolded himself and shook his head to clear it.
“Yami?” The sound of Yugi's voice made his skin heat, and Atemu shuddered, pulling away a bit more, before returning a strained smile.
“I am fine, akhu. But, it is morning, and we all have duties to attend to.” Atemu said calmly, and watched as Yugi finally caught on.
“Ah!” Yugi swung in the direction of the window and gaped, jumping to his feet and rushing around in a bit of a craze. “Kuso! Ore wa wasurete!”
Atemu watched, amused, as Yugi ran around the room, stopping and retracing his movements when he discovered that he was still in his dancing garbs. Then complaining when he found that he could not find his work wrap.
A smile made it's way up Atemu's face as he watched the small teen become flustered and worried. Yugi was too simple sometimes, and as endearing as it was, it was also worrisome.
“Yami! Don't just sit there laughing! Help me!” Yugi complained, stomping one foot in irritation. Atemu chuckled at the display and stood.
Just like a child…
“Right, right.” Atemu's smile grew at the annoyed glare that Yugi gave him, and reached down under the edge of several pillows that made up Yugi's bed, and pulled out the simple wrap and tie. “Here, akhu.” Atemu offered the clothing with a smug smile, feeling some how vindicated for the other morning when Yugi had kicked him.
Amethyst eyes glowered at him as Yugi took the proffered garment and turned. “Why is it always him who finds it?” The question was muttered under his breath and wasn't meant for him to hear, but Atemu heard it nonetheless.
What does that mean? Atemu shook the thought off just as quickly as it had come, needing some time to himself.
“akhu, you may wish to hurry, a meal is no good cold.” Atemu reminded, and Yugi jumped rushing for the bathing room to change.
“Gomen!” Yugi called over his shoulder, and again the pharaoh was reminded that he would need to ask Yugi to teach him that language. “I'll be right back, Yami!”
When Atemu was certain that Yugi had gone, he slumped onto his bed's edge with a groan. “Dear Ra, akhu? Do you know what you are doing to me?” Atemu asked the room.
His body still thrummed with the heat of being so close to that small form, his mind remembering just what that body could do. Atemu gave another groan, his body still hard, and sighed.
The golden light of the day washed in through the window, already warm, wind gushed in to the room and encased the son of Ra. Atemu turned to watch the gossamer curtains with crimson eyes.
He'd woken to the sound of Yugi's pained whimpers. The sun had barely risen, and at first he was going to ignore it, but when Yugi began to pant in his sleep, and cry out, Atemu had moved.
He had been frightened to find Yugi drenched in sweat and thrashing about on his bed, tears escaping through his closed eyes. When he didn't wake to Atemu's words or prodding, Atemu had become worried and leaned in close hoping to ease Yugi's fears with his presence.
Then Yugi had just jumped awake.
He looked terrified… as if… he was still trapped in that nightmare. Atemu scowled and ran a hand through his bangs nervously. When he raised it back, he paused to trace his palm with his eyes. The crevices and grooves mapped out roads and stories in his skin.
“What did you dream of little Yugi? What did you see that frightened you so?” Atemu questioned the silent room, remembering the jarring hope that had crashed through Yugi's eyes at seeing him, and the force of his hug. It had all been so fierce, as though Yugi feared he would vanish, like the incense smoke the priests burnt.
…And then he goes and places his face right before mine. Practically begging be to—Atemu broke off that train of thought quickly, and stood, leaving the room with haste. He gave a stiff nod to his guard as he passed by wearing nothing but his night wrap.
It was odd, he knew, and very unlike him, but he had little time before Yugi would return, and he couldn't risk being alone with the boy in his current state.
Atemu scowled in distaste as he approached the doors that led to his harem. He really didn't wish to take advantage of this place, especially since he had no sisters to make his wife. He didn't even have a wife, and until recently, had no use for the concubines that he supposedly owned.
But what other choice did he have?
The image of Yugi laying tied to his bed came to mind. Atemu felt his face heat up and he walked into the room quickly, already feeling guilt eat at his heart as the women smiled and acknowledged him with praise.
“Our pr-aA, how may we be of service to you at this early hour?”
Atemu knew that they knew the answer to that, so he didn't bother to state it, and the girl from the last time stepped forward and then bowed low to the ground, offering to please him.
With a heavy sigh, Atemu nodded.
I can't think like this… he is not an item to use. He is my akhu… and I am not like Pragus… No, I will not give in.
 
^^^^^^^^
 
Yugi hurriedly ran down the corridors, his heart thundering in his chest. He was unexplainably happy and excited, though he knew most wouldn't feel so great about having to retrieve breakfast for one's dark half, but he was.
Yugi grinned, skipping a little as he entered a patch of warm sunlight. In less than six hours it would be unbearably hot, Yugi knew, but for the time being, it was perfect. Yami was so kind, to worry about me so much. I really need to thank him somehow… Yugi smiled, and nodded to himself, thinking over ways to help his dark, when he saw another figure walking slowly down the hall toward him.
Yugi blinked, confused for a moment, before he recognized the mop of dark hair. “Ah, Anuksu!” Yugi called out, glad to see a friend, and ran up to her side, unconcerned with the slump of her shoulders and the hunch in her posture. “I forgot to thank you for—what's wrong?” Yugi asked, his happy bubble effectively popped, when he saw the hollow look in the dancer's eyes.
“Yugi?” She asked weakly, blinking several times, and the action made Yugi's insides cold. He nodded carefully, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder for support.
“I'm here, are you okay? You look kinda sick.” Yugi asked again, and this time, the girl's eyes showed fear, and she turned away quickly.
“I'm fine. Just… having a bad morning.” Anuksu's body was ridged, Yugi could feel the light tremor in the shoulder his hand was under, and see it in her fisted hands.
“Oh. I'm sorry. Do you… want to talk about—“
“No!”
Yugi jumped at her sudden exclamation, as she whipped around, and lowered his hand from it's rest on her shoulder. “Okay, sorry…” Yugi swallowed, and glanced away, unsure what to say to change the subject. From the corner of his eye he saw Anuksu deflate and look remorseful, and Yugi struggled to put on a happy demeanor before she could feel bad for her actions. “I'm on my way to get Yami some food, want to come with me?” Yugi offered with a grin, turning to face the broken girl, and watched the surprise that covered her face.
“Yugi…”
“If your day's been bad so far, let's see if we can't make it better huh?” Yugi chirped, grabbing her hand and dragging her down the hall in the direction of the kitchen. “Yami had a stress fever last night, I think Seto did it to him, you know how he can be… oh, well, I guess you wouldn't…” Yugi paused, blinking, wondering just what the CEO's name was back in ancient times, he gave up a moment later. “Anyway, I sang him to sleep last night… pretty silly huh? Gee, no wonder I'm always being called a kid, I act like one.” Yugi sighed dramatically, giggling in the next second as he entered into a new story trying to distract Anuksu in anyway he could.
The kitchen was in view when Anuksu pulled back, forcing Yugi to stop. “Huh, Anuks—“Yugi was silenced by the touch of her fingertip to his lips. Yugi gasped, shocked, silent as Anuksu slipped closer to him and replaced her finger tip with her warm lips. What the… is, is Anuksu…
Yugi stiffened up, his breath caught in his chest, as the warm lips moved against his for a moment longer, before pulling back completely. Yugi blinked, his hand automatically lifting to touch his lips, and he heard the gentle laughter from above.
Yugi lifted wide eyes to Anuksu, glad to see her smiling, even though her eyes were glassy with tears. Anuksu? Why are you crying… why did you kiss me? Oh, god… that was my first kiss!
“Sorry about that, Yugi.” Anuksu said, standing taller, looking a little more like herself. “I just needed to forget someone's kiss.” She opened her clear blue eyes and winked at him, and Yugi felt his cheeks burn. “But, this changes nothing, I'm still going to work you hard in practice, so don't be late!” Anuksu said, whirling around and leaving quickly the way she'd been going before.
Yugi watched her back for several long moments, fingers still on his lips. “Well, I guess she's feeling better.” Yugi laughed, and turned to get the meal he'd promised to get. His insides felt queasy, and Yugi tried not to dwell on the fact that there had been no thrill in that kiss. He'd felt absolutely nothing. Why, what's wrong with me?
 
^^^^^^^
 
“We thank you for your hospitality, and will return swiftly with the sighed document.” Pragus said with a low bow, his men following suite behind him.
Atemu remained seated, his frown of annoyance barely hidden. He was only relieved that this would be the end of his problems with the man, and his band of annoying followers.
It will also be the end to my worries for Yugi… Atemu hoped.
When Pragus had risen, Atemu nodded, accepting Pragus's leave, and watched with much joy as the tall Roman left the room quickly. To his side, Saimun visibly relaxed, and Atemu released a happy sigh, realizing just how much of a relief the Roman's departure was to everyone involved.
Seth shot him a meaningful look from his position beside Saimun, and Atemu's relaxed posture stiffened. He did not need a reminder that he was not in the clear yet, and he definitely did not need the visions of his cousin to add to his infinite amount of worries.
“The dark cloud of destruction hangs low around you. I don't think that child's appearance was coincidence. I fear he will bring about your demise.”
 
Seth's negative words rang through Atemu's head like a bad mantra and he sighed, sitting up straighter in his throne. If it wasn't the Roman's it was the small boy who could do no wrong as far as Atemu was concerned. A few accidents, defiantly, but any real damage? Well, Atemu hoped not.
“Please leave me. I wish to be alone right now.” Atemu stated, and gave both Simune and Seth a pointed look before either could protest.
The room was quickly emptied of all, save for his guards posted across the room at the doors, and Mahado, whom he'd held back when he moved to leave.
“pr-aA, what is it?” Mahado asked, when the other's had left. Atemu narrowed his eyes on a single beam of light, uncertain. He didn't like that feeling, but even more than that, he didn't like feeling out of control.
I have to be sure… now, before anything more can happen.
“Bring Yugi here. I need to make sure of something.”
Mahado didn't question him, merely bowed and moved to do his bidding, and for it, Atemu felt oddly thankful. He made a face and shook his head willing the absurd feeling off.
Yugi seems to be rubbing off on all of us… Atemu thought with a soft smile, reminded of the way the pale boy's face lit up with he laughed, and how his amethyst eyes hardened when he was determined. A warmth spread in his chest, and Atemu abruptly stopped picturing Yugi's face, scowl back in place. No… I can't think like this…
The doors opened with a soft sound, and looking up, Atemu wasn't all that surprised to see Yugi's heart shaped face poke inside and look up at him curiously. “You wanted to see me?” Yugi questioned, glancing warily at the guard just beside his face. Atemu couldn't stop the slow smile that worked its way across his features, as Yugi tried to determine if the guard he was looking at was one who understood his standing with the Pharaoh, or not.
“It's fine Yugi, come on in.”
Amethyst turned back to him, and then Yugi nodded stepping into the large, sun heated room, silently. Yugi seemed slightly uncomfortable, and Atemu wondered if it was because of the lack of people in the room, or his royal attire, but quickly shoved the thought off, knowing that Yugi feared neither.
“Pragus and his men have left to return to Rome.” Atemu said, once Yugi was close enough that he no longer had to raise his voice to be heard.
“Oh.” He said, sounding relieved, “That's good.” The smile was proof of that as Yugi practically bounced to Atemu's side, picking up a forgotten fan and starting his ritual duties. “I was starting to think that Prego-man would hang around forever.” Yugi chatted animatedly, and like most things he said, Atemu understood very little.
“So, where did you go this morning? I brought you your breakfast and the room was empty.” Yugi's voice sounded slightly wounded, and Atemu shifted uncomfortably, remembering quite well where he'd been. “I ended up helping Mahado out until he had to come here for the meeting, and I decided it would be safer in your rooms.”
“Yugi.”
“Hmm?”
Atemu felt queasy, as he turned, resting one tanned hand upon Yugi's pale ones, stalling his motions. As he'd dreaded, he felt the thrill of sensation wash over his nerves, and he smiled rather sadly.
So, it is a problem. At least it's not one that he has to worry about.
“Dance for me?” Atemu asked, giving Yugi's hand a squeeze, and watched as color flooded his cheeks, neck, and lower, ending at his navel. He was rather adorable at times, and the urge to wrap him up in his arms and protect him was nearly over powering.
“B—but, there's no music…”
Atemu smirked, and leaned closer until he could see nothing but Yugi's eyes. “You don't really need music, do you?”
Yugi glanced away, giving a huff, before dropping the fan and making his way before Atemu. He froze facing him, head bowed eyes closed, and stayed that way for several moments, but when he moved it was like it had been at the evening meals. His motions graceful, and smooth. Alluring in their innocence, causing the Pharaoh's heart rate to pick up just a little and he sighed wistfully, lounging into his seat, trying desperately to suppress the low burn that was quickly spreading in his abdomen.
 
^^^^^^^^
 
The room was hot, like a warm blanket, it was something Yugi was quickly becoming accustomed to, and he tried not to think about it too much. If he did, it only reminded him of what he'd lost, and how seriously he was trapped.
Yugi spun gracefully, twisting his torso as he rolled his hips, lowering to his knees to arc backwards. He couldn't help liking this kind of act, it was calming to move to a beat, even if it was only in his head, and it kept him limber in case Bakura or Marik showed an interest in killing him again.
A simple roll and bow, and Yugi completed the dance, feeling a light sweat on his skin, and his heart fluttering in his chest. Always he waited for applause, but was a little surprised when none came. Yami always applauds. Even when I suck… Yugi thought, lifting his head to look at Atemu, and was disheartened to find his brow furrowed in concentration.
“Yami?” Yugi asked, standing up, worried that something was wrong. What with Atemu's sudden request and his saddened expression. He made to move closer when those crimson eyes fell to his own and stopped him in his tracks.
“Yugi, now that the Roman's have left, I think it would be best if you moved back to the servants wing.” Atemu stated in a voice that left no room for argument. Something inside Yugi broke, and hurt desperately, and Yugi lifted a hand to his chest, pressing his fist to his pounding heart.
What did I do? Am I a burden Yami? Why are you asking me to leave? Yugi's thoughts screamed at him in confused agony, but he remained silent, head bowed low. “Okay.”
Yugi swallowed back his hurt and turned to leave, not even asking if he could do so, not really careing if it annoyed Yami. “I'll just… go move my stuff then.” Yugi forced a grin, and bolted from the room before Atemu could question him. Why? Why, does it hurt so much now? When I felt nothing… with Anuksu?! Yugi knew the answer to his question, but didn't want to face it. Didn't want to believe that the other half of his soul had just asked him to leave.
 
^^^^^^^^
 
“Sorry, about calling you out so late.” Yami stated, his head lowered slightly. Anzu felt a flash of pain but forced a bright smile, sliding into the booth across from him.
“It's fine, so, what did you want to talk about?”
Curiously, the spirit of the puzzle seemed to blush at her question, and fiddle with his hands.
“I made it sound important, didn't I?” Yami asked, looking rather sheepish, and Anzu, leaned back into her chair, somewhat relieved to hear that this meeting wasn't as life altering as she'd been expecting.
“Yeah, maybe, a little.”
“… hm. Well, honestly, I just needed to talk to someone, about Yugi. Someone, who wouldn't tell me endless lies about this problem.” Yami paused meeting her eyes for the first time, and Anzu was pleased to see that the spark in Yami's eyes had yet to blink out, even if it was dimmed. “This sounds pathetic, but could you tell me, something, any memory you may have a Yugi? I just need to concentrate on something… something else.”
Anzu smiled, understanding exactly how he felt. When you could do nothing but wait, it did one no good to sit around and think about all the bad things. One needs to concentrate on the good memories when everything else is falling away into hell.
“Sure. You know, when we were younger, Yugi used to copy me when I danced.” Anzu grinned, and watched as recognition flickered through Yami's eyes. “Yep, it didn't matter if it was ballet or tap, girl or boy dances, Yugi did them all. It was rather funny, but very Yugi. To his, it was probably just another game, his mom didn't think it so funny though.” Anzu grinned, and was glad when the spirit of the pharaoh returned her smile, if a little subdued. Yugi, we're all waiting. We're trying to stay strong, so please, please, come back. We need you, more then you know.
 
~~~~~~~~
(Ending Theme: “Night Flowers”)
 
I'm wandering lost in the land of love;
please come find me.
I hide my heart
that I thought I'd already wore the wings off of.
 
The thousands of petals
which color my heart
make me yearn for you, almost sadly
Once more
 
Mirage that slips through my fingers
the moment I grasp it...
I want to steal away all of you.
 
Brandishing a frozen knife,
love dances, scattering the night flowers
 
Love, comfort, let go - even my heart...
Feel it more intensely
 
If it's destiny,
then I don't need peace or warmth.
 
Brandishing a frozen knife,
love dances, scattering the night flowers
 
Break, injure, seal it away - even my heart...
Love me more intensely
 
 
 
A.N. Sorry this chapter's so short, but this is where my notes end, so, from here on out, the chapters may be a bit shorter. And guess what? Only 7 or 8 chapters left, so, I'm nearing the end here. ^-^ The good stuff starts up in the next chapter, so hopefully I wont keep you too long before updating again, and give a warm thanks to my new beta, she's the only one to save you from my grammar. ^-^