Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of Shadow and Light ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A.N. Here it is, the epilogue to this story. When I was writing up the prologue, I hadn't even thought that this would have one, and after two years here it is. Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone of you who reviewed, and all of you who continued to review with every update. I never gave a call out to you individually, but you all made a big impression on me, and I know your screen names and squeal in delight when I see ones from you (you know who you are ^-^) and it made writing this story all worth it. There are two snippets I am posting that go along with this story, they are done and I hope you will review them since technically they are separate from this story though they are placed with in this fic because of their soft nature. ^-^ Thank you for all the reviews and the ideas and support, and I will see you in Key Of Ra.
 
 
Memories of Shadow and Light
 
Epilogue
 
The sun was setting on the dunes, casting a darkened gold sheen to the sand that sparkled with illusions and old magic. It made the long shadows Yugi had grown up with, and remembered from a time that had long ago died out with the magic that barely hummed on the air: residual leftovers from the ritual that had just been completed in the crumbling ruins behind him.
The ring of friends hung back from him, chattering amongst themselves, and comforting the crying blond whose hard work had only brought her sadness. The Temple of Ptah was hardly what it had once been, and Yugi felt a bitter sadness as he gazed out across the empty sands, seeing an illusion of what had once been, and for a moment craved the bustling life that had once graced this dusty land.
The wind picked up, smelling old and musky with spice, and Yugi let his eyes close, feeling the fingers of that warm breeze glide up and under his cotton shirt and khaki shorts.
The granules of sand glided over his toes and slid beneath the warm Styrofoam of his flip-flops, and for a fleeting moment he was back there, standing in the world where magic was born, the sunlight singing on the golden dunes of the most powerful kingdom ever to grace the world at the time.
The voices of millions filled his ears, happy and living, under the rule of a single man who he loved over the millennia and was grateful to say that he was apart of him: a part of his soul.
>Aibou.< The brush of skin, gliding into his palm, warm, white gold fingers curling around his own hand, punctuated the thought. Yugi opened his eyes, the memory banished as he turned to stare into ruby eyes, angled and perfect, set in a regal face surrounded by soft golden bangs of the three-toned crown of hair.
Yugi smiled, squeezing that hand back, careful not to move too quickly and dislodge the blanket that was wrapped around Yami's naked form. Yami's new body seemed to match what Yugi knew his soul to be like, and the difference from what his original body had once been, made it easier for Yugi to justify taking Yami back with him to Japan.
Yami was no longer the prized son of he land of magic and time, and Yugi was both saddened and joyed for that fact. It was sad, that Yami had to see his world like this, but Yugi was selfishly glad that there was nothing left to tie him to the heated sands, and chiming winds that sang of a time long gone.
>The wind smells like you, Yami.< Yugi thought, smiling when he saw that his other had received it. It was a little saddening, Yugi felt, that their original link had been broken with the new life Ptah had given the once pharaoh Atemu, and though it was still possible for them to speak to each other through their minds, it took more effort than before, and Yugi had to concentrate more on the thought reaching Yami for it to work.
He missed the constant touch of Yami's mind against his own, and the flow of feelings that constantly mingled with his own. Somehow, even with Yami standing right beside him, hand in his own, Yugi missed him. Somehow it wasn't enough and he want to be closer.
As though knowing what Yugi felt, Yami opened his blanket and pulled Yugi flush against him, his arms closing them both in the warmth of the blanket and he nuzzled his face into the crook of Yugi's neck.
Yugi sighed and shivered. The contact still wasn't enough, but it would suffice. After all, the words he'd hard in his mind as Ptah answered both of their prayers had told him nothing but the truth. With Yami's gaining his own body, they needed to be separated more mentally in order for either of them to continue and exist together. This isn't so bad… Yugi thought leaning back and closer still to Yami, enjoying the feel of his beating heart against his back, and his breath as it ghosted over his skin as lips placed gentle kisses to his skin.
>You still smell like the sea to me, aibou… sea and rain.< Yugi smiled, closing his face as his hand rose to touch the empty space over his heart where the millennium puzzle once rested. It was in millions of pieces now, all power gone, shattered before the alter of Ptah as sacrifice for the miracle they had so desperately sought, and though he missed its gentle weight, Yugi was fine with its loss.
>Aibou, I still feel empty.< Yami admitted, his arms pulling tighter as though he could absorb Yugi straight into his soul through his flesh, and Yugi twisted in those arms, looping his own arms around Yami's trim waist, fingertips tracing up and down his spine, enjoying the shudder and groan this granted him.
>I'll fix it when we get back to the hotel room.< Yugi promised, knowing that Kaiba wouldn't want to leave until the morning if his light banter with Jonouchi was anything to go by.
 
He really wondered what he'd missed while he'd been gone, but seeing as not even Yami was certain when their relationship had changed, Yugi let it go.
>You going to show me why you're called the king of games?< Yami asked coyly, and Yugi beamed tracing his hands up Yami's sides teasingly.
>How else would I fix your problem?<
Yami chuckled, dropping his head back down to Yugi's shoulder. “You promise?”
Yugi beamed, kissing Yami's collarbone. “Promise.”
Yugi didn't need the millennium puzzle anymore. He'd gotten his wish, and more than he'd ever hoped for: Friends, adventure, independence, and love.
Yami looked down at Yugi, finally flesh and blood once more, and smirked, his look making Yugi's knees weak, and he couldn't resist leaning forward to claim those tempting lips with his own, his breath ghosting across them in claim.
“BiAw.”
The smirk spread into a grin as Yami relaxed into Yugi's kiss, allowing him to control it, and Yugi lifted his arms around Yami's neck, ignoring the screamed protest of Rebecca as Anzu tried to calm the child.
 
He didn't miss the puzzle, because he got to keep the spirit with in, and that was all he'd ever really wanted. The rest, was just memories in the sand, covered in shadow and light.
 
~~~~~~~~~
(Ending Theme: “Anyplace, Anywhere, Anytime” - Nena and Kim Wilde)
 
In the fall of space and time,
Moths fly into the light, exactly as you and I
Wrap your finger `round my neck.
You don't speak my dialect,
But our images reflect!
Drawn together by the flame
We are just the same—
Embrace the wind and fall into another time and space!

Give me your hand— I build for you a conclusion from the sand
Somehow, somewhere, sometime
If we belong to each other
We belong any place, any where, any time

In time and space, he awakes from a dream
Only for a short instant, then returns to the night.
Bit and of pieces from your storm
Rain upon me as they fall
Melt into my skin and I feel warm!
Sweep upon me like a wave,
We are young and brave—
Embrace the wind and fall into another time and space!

Give me your hand— I build for you a conclusion from the sand
Somehow, somewhere, sometime
If we belong to each other
We belong any place, any where, any time

Drawn together by the flame
We are just the same—
Embrace the wind and fall into another time and space…!

If we belong to each other
We belong any place, any where, any time
I'm going to any world you're coming from
Anyplace, anywhere, anytime!

Give me your hand— I build for you a conclusion from the sand
Somehow, somewhere, sometime
I'm going to any world you're coming from
Anyplace, anywhere, anytime!
 
 
~Owari~
 
A.N. *Sobbing* I can't believe it over… I hope this epilogue wasn't too disgustingly sweet. I just wanted to give Yami his own body, and I knew I'd be nostalgic about the place if you'd been there in it “hay day” so to say. Anyway hope this was all that you'd ever hoped for this story, and please review and let me know if you liked it. Look out for Key Of Ra. Chapter 3 should be done soon, till then. ^-^