Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of Shadow and Light ❯ Bonus Chapter Two ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A.N. So I found I couldn't leave this alone after all when I finished the story, and because this is such a mildly rated piece it found its way in here along with Sky Water. Hope you like it.
 
Remembered Sand
 
The sun was setting on the dunes, casting a darkened gold to the sand that sparkled with illusions and old magic. The air shimmered in rebellion as Ra was eaten by the giant beetle and darkness swept in for the night while Ra awaited to be reborn. Much the same as she waited for her friend.
Anuksu sighed into the warm air that was quickly cooling. It had been years since her friend had sacrificed himself to destroy Exodia, and still she held onto the hope that he might one day come walking up to her in the market, dressed in his funny clothes laughing and asking her why it was that people kept insisting that he wear a `skirt.'
A waterlogged laugh escaped her as she remembered the small boy's quirks, and the soft bundle in her arms gurgled, twisting at the sound. Looking down at the tiny infant in her arms, she watched as the boy reached up with pudgy fingers towards her face, his large brown eyes glittering with new thoughts and innocence.
She smiled, tucking the cotton more securely around his skin as she brushed his forehead with her lips, moving the soft brown curls with her breath. “You're just like him, you know?” She whispered, entrancing the baby's attention with her voice, and she pretended for a moment that the child understood what she was saying.
“He came from far away, in clothes that were quite absurd. He had funny customs, like removing his shoes outside the house, not wearing `skirts,' taking breaks, and he spoke in a funny language.” She scrunched up her face at this part, which made the baby grin toothlessly up at her, a giggle escaping its small body.
“He also wanted to learn how to dance, and though he was tiny, smaller than a child, he was quite good, very alive.” She paused, her eyes growing distant with nostalgia. “… he was so innocent, so pure it was hard to believe he'd lived as long as he claimed, and no matter what anyone did, he tried to be kind to them, and believed that they could change, even when that person had given up on themselves…”
Anuksu smiled sadly, bounding the child a little in her arms as the last of the sunlight glimmered out and the full chill of evening set in, making the baby fuss slightly.
“Maybe that's why the pr-aA loved him.” She looked around to make sure no one would hear before she continued, for the name she was to speak had been erased and any who spoke of it would be put to death by the gods, but as Yugi had pointed out to her, that was only a superstition.
“pr-aA Atemu, it is said fell in love with this weird boy from far away, and had him dance for him every night, until a mighty evil arose to destroy all life in Khemet.” Anuksu's voice grew distant, and the baby jumped slightly in her arms.
“To save the world, and his lover, the boy from far away chose death, and sealed the evil away with his sacrifice, and Atemu followed soon after in hopes of finding his little dancer, and left Khemet in the hands of pr-aA Seth.”
The wind whistled in the distance, and Anuksu glanced up, reminded of the unearthly darkness that had covered the land as the shadows had wrecked havoc on the land, but the calm sparkling sky twinkled back at her harmlessly and she relaxed.
“… Yugi…” She whispered, her eyes drawn to the silver stars. She'd lost count of how many times she'd dreamed of the small boy, smiling and waving to her from down the palace hallway; his silver and blue dancing garb all askew as he hurried toward her, again almost late for a performance, laughing about misplacing his clothes. “… did you make it home, is that where you went?” She asked the sky, trying to picture his world with him back in it, smiling happily, once more where he belonged.
Tears stung the back of her eyes, and burned down her cheeks, blurring the image of the stars and destroying the image she'd erected. “Are you happy there with out your pharaoh? Or is he there with you now?”
There was no answer, as always, and yet, as the harsh desert wind whipped up, she somehow felt calmed, and as the cool breeze dulled she pulled her child close to her heart, not even aware of the soft smell of the sea that was already fading from the area.
The baby fussed a bit, and Anuksu bounced the child gently, making a soft hushing sound as she returned to the fire lighted house where her husband waited. “Shh, Heba, there is nothing to fear in the dark… not anymore.”
With a final glance back, Anuksu whispered to the stars as she did every night. “Good night, Yugi.”
And entered her house.
 
“…Heba? As in, Game?”
“Yeah.”
Anuksu gave the boy an odd glance not sure how to respond to his previous expliation on what his name meant. “So… you're parents named you… game.”
“Yes.” Yugi seemed to be getting annoyed at her continued shock. Anuksu sighed and shook her head looking away. “What?”
“Nothing.”
Yugi gave her a look that clearly said he didn't believe her and she sighed, dropping her hands to her sides.
“Just, what kind of parent would name their child… game?”
Yugi gave her an insulted look. “Well excuse me for having weird parents!”
Anuksu laughed, rubbing Yugi's head playfully. “It's okay, at least they didn't name you dung.”
“Oh, gee, thanks Anuksu!”
“Your welcome… Heba.” She couldn't stop chuckling, not even after Yugi groaned and left the room, platter full of food for the pharaoh.
“Heba… what nonsense.”
 
Anuksu tucked the small child into his bed of sheets, gently curling his hair behind his ear and smiling in ironic joy. “Guess I'm the kind of parent to name their child `Game,' but if he ever complains, I blame it on you Yugi.” She whispered to the night, kissing Heba on the forehead before turning to her own bed, when her husband waited patiently, an understanding smile on his face.
Snuggling into his strong arms, her hands curled around his chest as she gazed up into his deep eyes and brown hair she whispered for his ears alone, “I miss him, Honda.”
Smiling back he held her closer, not even needing to ask who she spoke of, he already knew the story. “You'll meet him again.”
As she closed her eyes drifting off into sleep, she believed the words of her husband and dreamed as she did most nights of that future.
 
A timid boy looks up from the dirt were his broken toy lay in jagged pieces. Large crystalline tears pool down his cheeks from his amethyst eyes, laying tracks in his dirt smudged cheeks.
The little girl shifts a little, unsure why it is that she feels so mad at the older boys for picking on this little one, but picks up one broken piece anyway, and holds it out to the crying boy, determined to stop his tears.
“Here.”
He looks up startled, and the water stops falling as he meets her bright blue eyes, sniffling a little before looking down at her gift, and taking it from her hand slowly. “T—thank you.” He rubs his nose on his arm to rid it of his snot and she cringes a little.
“What's your name?” She asks, helping the boy to stand and carry his broken toy away from the sand box. Maybe the teacher could glue it back together.
The boy looks at her startled, as though he'd never been asked that before, and her heart suddenly reached out to protect him. To befriend him, and never let him cry again.
“Yugi.”
The little girl wrinkles her nose at the name. “Yugi? As in… Game?”
The boy pouted, as though he'd been through this before and teased quite a bit for it. “Yeah, so what?”
“Just wondering.” She said, not wanting to cause him more grief, seemed he had enough of it already. “I'm Anzu, want to be friends?”
Yugi looked up at her, hope shining in his eyes, and then his face broke into the brightest smile she'd ever seen as he replied.
“Yeah!”
Anzu smiled, and lead the way to the teacher to fix his toy.
~~~~~~~~
(Ending Theme: “Leave Out All the Rest” - Linkin Park)
 
I dreamed I was missing
You were so scared
But no one would listen
Cause no one else cared

After my dreaming
I woke with this fear
What am I leaving
When I'm done here

So if you're asking me
I want you to know

When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed

And don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory

Leave out all the rest
Leave out all the rest

Don't be afraid
I've taking my beating
I've shared what I've been

I'm strong on the surface
Not all the way through
I've never been perfect
But neither have you

So if you're asking me
I want you to know

When my time comes
Forget the wrong that ive done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed

Don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory

Leave out all the rest
Leave out all the rest

Forgetting
All the hurt inside
You've learned to hide so well

Pretending
Someone else can come and save me from myself
I can't be who you are

When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed

Don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory

Leave out all the rest
Leave out all the rest

Forgetting
All the hurt inside
You've learned to hide so well

Pretending
Someone else can come and save me from myself
I can't be who you are
I can't be who you are
 
A.N. Okay, kinda rushed and stupid I know, but I had to write it up for Anuksu. She really appreciated Yugi and I just kinda wrote her out. *Sigh* Oh well, hope you liked it and please review, I'd like to know what you think of this little piece as a story in itself.