Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Our Love ❯ The Mysterious Girl ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hey there, everyone. I'm back. (Silence is heard in the background). Gee aren't you people nice. Oh well. This is my first Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic so go easy on me and reviews re very much appreciated as flames with be looked down upon but won't make a difference to anything. Well, on with the fic.

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh or any of its characters except Koko cuz I made her up myself.

Enjoy!

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^*^*^*^*

The Mysterious Girl

The girl stood there as she waited for her father, whom was sure to be drunk, to return home. She looked out the window, her dark blue eyes showing her true fear of being hurt. She'd been hurt numerous times before from her father and the other bullies at her school, but that's how she became such a soft person. She couldn't and wouldn't hurt even the smallest flies she could find since she was scared something would come after her for it.

A car screech was heard from around the corner and she flinched at how she's able to recognize her father's car screeches from the corner. Still, she watched out the window waiting for him to come in and start the usual yelling among other things.

She'd lived with her father for most of her life. She knows her father took her away from her mother when she was very young. She was two when it happened and her memories were long since gone of her once happy life, or what she thought was one. It was hard to recall what was happy and what wasn't since she'd lived with her father for years now. She was twelve, not that it really mattered since she never celebrated her birthday anyway. Her father always forgot, or didn't care. She guessed it was the latter.

The blue Honda pulled into the driveway and out came a scruffy man in his middle ages with an old battered, brown suitcase. The white haired girl knew that briefcase wasn't really for work but rather to hold her father's liquor and cigarettes and whatever else he took. Drugs were probably in there too. She wouldn't know. Her father restricted her to her the bottom floor bathroom, her room, the kitchen, and the living room, which she was in now. She wasn't allowed in her father's room or the upstairs bathroom, the study/library, or his office unless her said she could for her to retrieve something for him from one of the rooms, which was still a rare case.

The man swayed from his drunken state up the walkway from the driveway and through the front door.

"Girl! Come here NOW!" The man called at the bottom of the stairs, failing to realize that his daughter, who he always called girl or a few other names other than her true name, was already waiting for him.

"Dad." She said quietly after slowly walking towards him. Hoping for something she knew would never come, but still she could just wish that someday he would apologize or treat her better or something that would be nice for a change.

"What took so long, wench!" He hollered.

She flinched. "I'm sorry," her head never coming up to meet his red eyes. She knew from his temper that he must've have skipped work or got fired and then spent the rest of the day drinking at Skyppy's, his favorite bar. She only knew that though because he left her to get the mail and since he always used his credit card to buy things so she always saw the letter addressed to him about how much he owed them.

"Sorry is all you have to say after you kept me waiting for so long!"

Yep he was defiantly drinking the whole day. How long had it taken her to respond to him after he'd hollered for her to come? Ten to fifteen seconds? Not that it mattered since her father always got his way like it had been all these years.

"I didn't mean to, sir." She responded still very quietly. She only spoke to her father and the teachers who noticed her at the dump school she went to. Even then she didn't really talk but merely shook her head showing she didn't know any answers. She practically had enough notes from her teachers to build a life size model of the Titanic if she wanted to.

He snarled at her before smacking her one across the face so hard her whole head jerked and then hit the wall after she stumbled. Her legs weren't really strong like the rest of her. She didn't really eat anything and what she did eat was mostly a day after the expiration date so it tasted horrible.

"Haven't you learned your place in this household yet, girl? I am the master and you; you are nothing more than an insect I should've destroyed long ago. Yet, this is how you repay me. My treating me as low as you can!"

"I'm sorry sir. I didn't mean to." The tears starting to come but the girl wouldn't let them come. If she did than she would surely get a rougher treatment then usual.

"You'd better be you low life." He grabbed her shirt's collar and held her up as tightly as he could. "Now get dinner ready before I get even angrier." He ordered.

She nodded, visibly shaking now.

His head shot to the door where the doorbell had just sounded.

"Coming!"

He tossed her harmfully against the closest wall to the side of the door and grumbled as he opened the door.

"Sir, are you Mr. Kawasaki?" The man in uniform asked politely bowing.

"Uh, yes I am officer. Why don't you come in? What seems to be the problem?"

"It seems you're very late on your debts for…" He took a small piece of paper from his pocket and took a glance at it. "Skyppy's Bar, is that right?"

The man nodded.

It was then that the officer saw the girl on the floor trying to retain a standing position.

"What in the name of Kami is this?" He asked outraged at the look of the girl's condition. "Why is she like this, Mr. Kawasaki?"

"Pathetic wench. I told you to get dinner ready and you're lying on the floor?" He made to kick her in the stomach.

The policeman blocked his attempt though and stopped him. "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to take you in for child abuse. It's obvious this is how you always treat her. Boys, take him away."

The white haired girl stood and leaned against the wall; unable to hold the small tears back she wiped them away shamefully, knowing she was going to be in trouble if her father saw.

"It's alright little one. You're safe now and you're coming with me."

Her blue eyes looked at him, fear evident in her eyes.

He offered her his hand and she visibly flinched away at it. It was obvious she needed food in her and she needed to get cleaned up as well with some new, warmer clothes for the coldness of the winter coming.

He walked over to the front door and called out to his two partners who were taking the girl's father in their patrol car.

"You two go on ahead to the police station. This is going to take a while and I need to make a quick stop for her."

The two gave a thumb's up before driving away.

He looked back over to the girl who was now trying to make her way into the kitchen.

"Hey now, where are you going?" He asked softly.

She looked hesitantly back at him before wiping away another unwanted tear coming from her eyes.

"You don't have to be here anymore. You can come with me and I'll see if we can get you a better home than this. Is that okay with you?" He slowly extended his hand and she, very slowly and reluctantly, took it and allowed herself to be led away.

It was a quiet drive and they only stopped once the entire drive. The girl didn't leave the car, but stayed inside next to the heater to keep the warm air close to her that felt so good against her meatless body.

He helped her up the steps and set her in an empty office before he left to retrieve one more item for the small child. When he came back he handed her a bowl and spoon and told her she could eat as much as she needed. She didn't have to be told twice for that since she didn't even know that she'd be able to get more later if she needed it. She was more use to eating whatever she was given and not knowing when she'd be able to again so ate as much she could while she could.

Once full, the man walked her to a bathroom and handed her some clothes and told her to change and then go back to the office she was in before.

"There'll be another man in there with a white coat and a brown bag. He's here to help you too so don't worry, ok?"

She nodded and turned to close the door. When she came back out she was dressed in some warm, khaki pants, white long-sleeved shirt, with a blue jacket. She did what she was told and went back into the office to see the man she was told about.

"Ah, there you are. Feeling any warmer than those other clothes I was told you were wearing?"

She nodded and then took her seat by the door.

"This is Dr. Hakase. We're hoping that you have other family alive but until we can find them you're going to be living in a children's home. He's going to take a sample of your blood so we can find them."

When she didn't move the two men assumed everything was fine and the doctor moved forward with the syringe he'd taken out of his brown bag placed on this desk.

It was a slight prick and didn't really hurt her since she'd had worse in her life and merely excused it for the beginning of more to come. When it didn't come she made to lie on the floor to go to sleep. But the men merely chuckled and the policeman led her into a different room so she could rest before she left for the home.

Two Years Later

The rain pattered against the window as the girl sighed slightly as she looked out of it. It had been two years since she's been taken away from her father, the last time she'd seen him too. Not that she missed him or anything. She was still afraid of people and her voice was still very quiet from the lack of speech still. Not much had changed either except for her lifestyle. She was glad for no more beatings but now she didn't know what to do with herself anymore. She used to work for her father and take his beatings until he'd pass out on the floor before she could clean herself up the best she could with what was in her small shack of a downstairs bathroom. Now she was wasting her time away looking out the window waiting for her family that the police were still looking for.

"Hey, can you pass our ball over please?" One of the boys of the home called to her.

She looked over and picked up the orange rubber ball and walked it over to them before settling herself back in the window bench to watch the rain fall. The little droplets used to be her way of crying when she was with her father. He'd beat her to a mere inch from death it felt like if she was caught crying so she let the rain be her tears. She had learned now that it was okay to cry again so she didn't worry about it anymore. But now she had reason of what to think of the rain as. She was told her first couple of months here when she told somebody with reluctance and they told her it could be thought of as another tool to help the flowers grow and the trees too, but she didn't care much about it then. She didn't think much of it now either but that was a different story and too old to be thinking about it.

"Ahem."

The blue eyes turned to look at the familiar officer behind her. She recognized him easily in any crowd and never forgot that he was the one who took her father away. She come to first name bases with him so she felt more comfortable rather than the formalities but she still always bowed to him for the respect of things.

"We found them." He said simply.

Dark blue widened at this and she looked around for them, hoping that she'd be able to spot them even though she'd forgotten what they looked like. She'd even forgotten what her father looked like and she still had nightmares about him. Only for the replacement he ended up being a monster in dreams, which he was in reality too but more of a human form.

He chuckled and her eyes turned back to him. "They're not here. Your brother is going to come to the police station and pick you up there. You're mother couldn't come unfortunately but you'll see her when you get there. He can't drive though so you'll have to take a round of buses or some such, it's really up to him."

She stood up and looked at him hopefully, wishing that didn't have to wait any longer for her to see her lost but found past once more.

"Yes, young one, we're leaving now."

She picked up her bag, which carried the only things she treasured and followed her friend out the door and into the car.

Once more the ride was quiet, but it gave the fourteen-year-old time to think.

`I wonder if he's nice. What he looks like and sounds like too. Will he be fun or like other brothers that I've heard about who always get into fights with their parents before running away for the night and only coming back to retrieve some of his belongings before making a get away and never seeing him again. I hope not. I wonder how old he is too. If he's not old enough to drive than he can't be older than sixteen, but then again he could just be waiting to get his license until he's older like I've heard other people do. He wouldn't be younger than me or else I'm sure they wouldn't let them come by himself.'

After a few more thoughts they arrived at the well-known police station. She'd been there a couple times even after she had gotten comfortable with being at the police station. It was only so she could get her shots that her father at obviously not gotten for her and they only did it in the police station because the doctor's office was too far away for her to travel alone and she didn't like it when anybody accompanied her or else she'd shy away and wouldn't be able to find her. They found that out the hard way at had to track her down for a good day before anybody found her under the bridge by the river a good two miles away from where they lost her.

"Wait here and we'll bring him in when he arrives. Would you like to be alone with him or would you feel safer if one of us stayed her with you?"

"I'll be fine…" She trailed off.

He nodded and then walked off to his office to do some more paperwork or whatever officers did in their offices for so long.

He wasn't gone for long though when he came back in five minutes later with another person the girl had never seen before. He eyes looked into his with hope at who this person was.

"This is your brother, Koko, Bakura. You two should get to know each other a bit before taking you leave." He suggested to the white haired boy.

"Yes, of course. That would be a good idea."

`He sure sounds nice but this is a police officer he's talking to so of course he's going to talk that way.'

"Well, now, it certainly is a surprise to see you after all these years. Mother was certainly excited to hear you were going to be living with us." He smiled sweetly at her. "But when she found out why she went into a hysterics mood about how father could be that cruel when you hadn't done anything to deserve that kind of treatment."

Koko smiled at him. `He's kind of funny though.' "I don't remember her…or you."

His amber eyes laughed her amusingly at getting her to speak when he'd only been told minutes before that she usually is very quiet even after knowing somebody for so long.

"That's not surprising since he took you away when you very young. It was two I think, am I right?"

She nodded smiling slightly; hoping this is how he always acted.

"How old were you?"

"Well if you were two than I was three. I'm a year older than you."

"So you're fifteen?"

He nodded. "Are you ready to leave. I promise you're going to like it where you're going. It a lot better than this place and the school is filled with a lot of nice people."

She nodded before spotting his odd necklace placed around his neck.

"What's that?" She asked pointing to it.

"It's called the Millennium Necklace. It from the Ancient Egyptians times and very old and I don't why but I feel very drawn to it all the time so I wear it all the time."

"I like it. It's very pretty looking."

"Thanks, Koko. I like it too."

The two left the station and headed for the train station after Koko's quick goodbye from her officer friends.

She'd hope that everyone was as nice as Bakura was.

`Bakura, I hope you and I get to become very close and it won't end up being like those other brothers I've heard about that run away from home and their family never sees them away.'

They boarded the train and she watched as everything she grew up around slowly disappeared from her life, hoping she wouldn't really miss anything, but like what was coming her way now.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^*^*^*^*^

So what did you think? I know it was kind of annoying when I kept saying stuff like white haired girl or Blue Eyes or something like, but I didn't think it was right if I gave her name right at the beginning. Anyways, I'll appreciate your reviews so please send them in. The more reviews I get the faster I'll put up the next chapter for you if you want. I promise it's going to get better though so I hope you give it a chance.