Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Our Love ❯ Friendship ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hey everyone here's the second chapter since I got a few reviews. It seems like you peeps liked it better than I thought you would. Well enough of my talking, on with the fic. Oh yeah and in the last chapter I made a mistake. While Koko was talking to Bakura and she asked what his Millennium Item was he said it was the necklace when it was supposed to be ring. Sorry bout that.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^*^*^*^*

Friendship

The train pulled into the station and Bakura led Koko off. She looked around shyly before looking up at him, is brown eyes sparkling in the sun that was shining through the windows.

"Come on. You'll be home soon and then you can see your new room. I hope you like it. Mother and I worked on it very hard on it since we found out about you. It used to be a spare room so it's fairly large if that's alright with you." He explained excitedly as they walked down the street.

Koko shook her head slightly. "I don't mind if that's where you want me to stay." She said without looking up at him.

Bakura was confused a bit by this but shook it off as something she picked up from the treatment her father had given her all those years, hoping it would go away once she got comfortable with Domino.

The short-lived silence was broken from a quiet whisper from Koko.

"What was that Koko? I didn't hear you." Bakura asked politely.

A little louder but still very soft she repeated, "What are the rooms I'm not allowed in?"

Bakura paused mid-step by utter surprise. "What rooms?" He asked confused.

She nodded. "The rooms I'm forbidden to enter unless given order, of course." She said it like it was the most sensible thing in the world.

A slight chuckling could be heard in the deep of Bakura's mind.

/Think of her past dear Bakura. Perhaps her father made her forbidden into certain rooms unless given the permission to enter. /

//Nusumi? How do you know that? // (AN: I don't know the Japanese names very well and Yami Bakura just doesn't sound right, at least not to me so I named him Nusumi which means theft in Japanese since he used to be a tomb robber.)

/Simple, I delved into her mind. It's not hard to miss since it's on the top. // The sly voice of the former thief answered back.

//Well don't, Nusumi. What if she felt it and got worried? It's going to be your fault and I bet you're going to make me explain everything, wouldn't you? //

More chuckling. /You worry too much, did anyone ever tell you that? Everything will be fine. Now keep walking and stop worrying. /

Bakura sighed and continued like his former half ordered. `Though he may have turned good he's still as evil as ever.' Bakura thought to himself. `He still orders me around but at least he's not locking me away in a card again and all the other stuff he used to do. Especially leaving Yugi and his puzzle alone.' "Here we are." He smiled stopping in front one of the houses.

"And the rooms?" Koko asked curiously.

"Don't worry about that Koko. You don't have to worry about anything like that ever again. In this house you can go wherever whenever you want. As long as you let me or mother know when you're going out." The white haired boy explained to the younger.

/Acting like an older brother already? I wonder when the bossing around and noogies will start. /

//Shut up, Nusumi! I will not do that to Koko or mother ever. You on the hand I'm not sure about. //

/I'm hurt, my light. I haven't possessed your body in the longest time. Take over it for you when you say I can is another thing. And even then I haven't caused any mischief. /

//Yes, I know. We'll talk later though. I need to show her around the house and I'm sure even she'll get suspicious if I stay quiet for very long when I'm supposed to be helping her adjust to this place. //

/Yes of course. But I hold you onto that as a promise Bakura. /

Bakura shook his head, glad that Koko wasn't looked at him or would get very confused as to why he looked like he was talking to himself, which he kind of was talking to himself in a sense.

"And this is your room, Koko." Bakura said opening the door on this second floor.

It had a twin bed near the window on the far end of the room and had a closet on the opposite side. It had a cupboard on the same side for extra clothes that wouldn't fit in the closet and another door that led into Bakura's room.

"Do you like it?" He asked watching her looked around the room in complete wonder and awe.

She turned to face him with tears streaming down her eyes as she looked at him.

"Koko? What's wrong? Is there something not right about it?" He asked as he kneeled next to his sister worrying about what upset her.

"Is it…all for me?"

Bakura smiled and nodded. "Of course. And that door over there leads to my room in case you need to talk to me. We had it installed while we set up the bed and everything else. Just in case you needed me. And mother's room is downstairs if you need her."

"Is she here?" She asked as she wiped her eyes.

"No, she's working right now. You'll see her later. She would've come with me to pick you but her boss has been working her like crazy lately so she couldn't." An idea struck Bakura as he said this. "I know! If you want we can go visit her since she's really anxious to see you. Would you like that?"

/You're trying to avoid talking to me, aren't you light? /

//Nani? No, I'm trying to get her comfortable and she hasn't met mother yet. I think it'd be nice. //

/Nice is being over rated. And besides you're mother doesn't like it when you visit her because her boss gets all over your case about not being school; even if it is the weekend. /

//OK! Sheesh, you made your point. // Bakura answered slightly mad even though he knew his dark side was correct in his sayings.

Bakura was about to tell Koko that those plans had changed when he noticed that she wasn't anywhere in his sights. He looked around before he heard that one creaky window in the living room screech a little before opening. He went into the room and saw her looking out of it, enjoying the breeze that was playing with her hair so calmly.

"Are you hungry, Koko? I could make us something for dinner." He asked.

Koko's eyes widened and looked at him in disbelief.

Bakura was startled so startled from the action that even his darkness could be heard deep inside his head trying to control his fits of laughter.

Bakura had to control the anger he held for his darker half at that moment until they could speak in a more concealed area.

"What's the matter?" He asked, proud that his voice didn't hold any anger or frustration he had on his other self at the moment.

"You…you want to cook for me…and eat with me in the same room?"

Bakura almost slapped his forward for having to even ask what was wrong. `Baka Bakura!' He scolded himself. `I should've let Nusumi do this. It's obvious he understands this better than I do and wouldn't have to ask such questions. Why would `father' cook for her and eat with her if he didn't like her and beat her. Perhaps Nusumi is correct and I perhaps air headed too much for my good sometimes.'

/Ah, see! I told you that you'd understand what I've been trying to say all this time now! Didn't I tell you? /

"My darkness needs to keep things to himself sometimes. Just wait until later when I get my hands around your neck." The light threatened so silently that only Nusumi could hear.

"Yes, of course. Come on, Koko. What would you like to eat?" He asked leading her into the kitchen.

^*^*^After Dinner^*^*^

Bakura had settled on the couch after a filling dinner and waited for his mother to return which would be any minute. He hadn't noticed that his sister had left him some time ago until he got a very surprising treat from his dark.

"Nusumi! What are you doing? Get back inside!"

The former tomb robber stayed where he was and stared at Bakura before making himself comfortable on the couch.

Bakura started to get very agitated with Nusumi and was going to force the spirit into his Millennium Ring whether he liked it or not. Before he could step once closer Nusumi stopped him.

"Like I said: you worry to much, light. Your sister left some time ago without your noticing."

Bakura froze and looked around the room. "Koko? Where'd she go?"

"To her room. She…" Nusumi was cut off when he noticed that Bakura had run up to stairs and shrugged, following him to the second floor.

Bakura opened the door after knocking and getting no reply. Seeing that she had fallen asleep on her bed he sighed before closing the door once more.

He saw Nusumi leaning against the railing smirking. "Before you oh so rudely left, I was going to say that she had fallen asleep."

"Sorry."

*^*^*In the Morning*^*^*

"Koko, it's time to wake up. You have school to go to." Bakura whispered softly to his newfound sister, shaking her gently to wake her as well.

Koko's dark eyes slowly opened to look into Bakura's.

"There you are. Have a nice sleep?"

She nodded softly before standing up next to him.

"You get ready for school alright. I'll be in my room getting ready too."

She nodded and watched him leave before picking up some new clothes and left into the bathroom to take a shower.

After she got cleaned up she dressed and by then it was time to leave.

"You're going to like Domino High. There's a lot of nice people there and I'm sure you're going to meet a lot of really nice people there."

As they walked Bakura thought back to the night before a little while after they ate. They talked a lot and he shivered at the thought as he came to that part of the conversation. Even Nusumi wasn't expecting what was told and shown to them then.

FLASHBACK

"…He started to drink a lot after that and that's when things started to get really bad."

"I see." Bakura stated understandingly.

"When I was eight I couldn't take it any longer. I thought it would be the best thing to do but now that I thought about it I realized that it wasn't worth it and my destiny was meant to be spent like that."

Bakura was at a loss and didn't know what he could say to make her feel better. That is until his dark pointed out that she pulled her sleeves up despite the cold temperature and was rubbing her wrists absently.

"I thought it was a good thing but he only hurt me more when he found out what I did." Koko looked down as she lifted her wrists so he could say. Bakura heard the gasp given by the former robber the same time he'd let out one of his own.

Her wrists were obviously sewn together after some serious slicing on her part. Taking her own life. If she had succeeded than he never would have met her and then what would he have done. He's just glad she was found.

END FLASHBACK

They arrived at school and as they walked towards the building a few greetings were thrown in his direction. He waved and nodded at a few of them before seeing his best friends.

"Hey, Bakura. What's up?" Joey called.

"Nothing much Joey. How about you guys?" Bakura looked down when he felt a pull at his sleeve and opened his hand, which Koko gratefully took and held it tightly. But this didn't go unnoticed by the entire group.

"Hey, Bakura, whose that behind you?" Yugi asked

It was only then that Tea, Tristen, and Joey noticed the small girl too.

"This is my sister, Koko. She moved in with us yesterday from her father's house." He explained to his friends silently so Koko wouldn't have to listen about everything, even her attempted suicidal act.

"Wow, even Nusumi didn't expect it? That is weird considering he's a very dark person who can usually tell things like this." Tea answered after a long silence.

"Keep you keep it down about him thought. She doesn't know."

All of them nodded.

/Dearest light, how long do you think you can keep that little act up? You'll have to end up telling her sometime just like you did with your mother. Besides, she took it rather well except for that one part about me being a bit evil in the beginning but after she found out I was good she considers me part of the family. You know that. /

//A bit evil? Try only…a lot, Nesumi. I killed people and everything and stole graves too. //

Silence was what answered him.

"Well we better get going. I still need to show her to her classrooms."

"Right. Later Bakura" Tristen waved, along with everyone else.

Just before they entered the building Koko spoke up.

"They seem nice Bakura." She said as she looked back to where they stopped to see they weren't there.

"They are. They're my best friends here. The girl was Tea and the brown haired one was Tristen." He led her down one of the halls while he spoke. "The blonde one was Joey and the last one, but defiantly not last," he laughed, "was Yugi.

Koko looked into the classroom they stopped in front of before looking back at her brother. "Do you think they'd want become my friends?"

"Of course. They'd love to become your friends. Now then this is your classroom. And here's my schedule in case you need to talk to me for any reason at all. And one more thing. After your fourth period class you have first lunch, but I have second so I won't be able to be with you then. If you want you can come to my classroom and stay in there until your lunch is over. Is that alright with you?"

"No, I'll be alright, Bakura." She replied putting on a small, but forced smile.

Bakura nodded and waited until she disappeared behind the door before walking off.

When the bang rang for Koko's lunch she slowly walked out and considered to go and find Bakura's room, but thought against it; not wanting to burden him with her being new. She walked out of the building like all the other students who had first lunch had and sat at the base of one of the lone trees surrounding the building.

"Hey kid!" Somebody yelled behind Koko.

She turned around, but wished she hadn't when she found what was behind her.

Two kids who looked a bit older than her were there. The taller of the two stepped up, smirking and showing that one of his teeth were missing. Koko didn't doubt it was in a fight by looking at these two.

"You look new around here. Don't you know the rules? New kids have to give us all their lunch money for a week or face the consequences. So whatcha waiting for? Pay up sweetheart."

"Hehe. Yeah sweetheart. She sure is pretty boss." The second said.

The `boss' laughed and nodded his agreement. "Yeah, she sure is Charlie. Tell you what," he said turning back to Koko, "if yous goes out with me for the week and give me a kiss instead you don't gots to worry bout the money."

Koko was disgusted on the inside but on the outside she was scared stiff. If she said no she was sure to get beat up but if she said yes something worse could happen, but with her past she didn't know if that was a good or bad thing. She just felt so lost and confused that she didn't know what to do. She was grabbed out of her thoughts though when the `boss' grabbed her by the scruff of her shirt and started to yell threats that sounded worse to Koko than they would to somebody else.

After a while of the hollering the boy pulled his hand back for a punch.

"Whatever Joey." Yugi laughed as they walked passed the building of the school not far from where Koko was. The Millennium Puzzle flashed slightly and stopped Yugi in his tracks.

//What's wrong, Yami? // The other three stopped too.

"Yuge, what's wrong?" Joey asked.

"Shhh, Joey. It looks like he speaking with Yami again." Tea said.

/Aibou, something isn't right. I don't know what it is, but I know it isn't good. /

//Where's it happening? / Yugi asked worried.

/On the other side of the building, I'm sure of it. /

Yugi nodded and ran in that direction. When he got there he was shocked.

Joey came up next and saw it too. "Hey, Cody! What do you think you're doing?"

The boy holding Koko stopped his action and turned around. "Joey Wheeler." He grumbled. "Mind your own business!"

Joey growled and ran towards them.

"Tristen, go find Bakura. Tea and I will stay here with Joey so he doesn't do anything drastic." Yugi ordered.

"Right, buddy." And he ran to the front of the building.

Yugi looked back and saw Joey holding both boys around the neck and Koko huddling up in a ball at the base of the tree.

He walked over and tried to help comfort her with Tea but nothing seemed to work.

"Koko, are you alright?" Everyone looked up and saw Bakura and Tristen walking over.

"Bakura!" She gets up and accidentally pushes Tea and Yugi away from her, trying to get to her brother.

"It's alright, Koko. I'm here now." He looks up at his friends. "Thanks for coming to get me Tristen. And you three for saving her as well."

"No problem Bakura. We were glad to help her." Yugi said.

He nodded and picked Koko up and started to walk back to the building, looking back at Yugi and silently giving his thanks to him again.

Yugi just shook his head and pointed to his Millennium Puzzle showing that is was Yami who should be thanked.

Bakura nodded and continued to walk. He stopped when Koko struggled out of his hands and looked at him silently before turning around to look at Bakura's retreating friends.

"What's wrong, Koko? We're going to my class and you don't have to worry about Cody or Charlie since Joey took care of them."

Koko looked back at her brother and sighed, remembering what she had asked him earlier she looked into his auburn like eyes.

Shaking her head she sighed again. "I haven't been with you for very long, Bakura. I know that but if there's one thing I've learned from this place already it's that I have a choice here. Bakura, go on ahead to your class."

"What about you?"

"I'm going to do exactly…what I said I was going to do. I'm going to go make some friends." She said looking at Yugi and the other's retreating backs.

Bakura looked in the same direction and smiled. "Alright. Have fun and I'll meet you right here after school."

She nodded without looking at him, but knew he had left when she heard the doors close behind her.

Nusumi materialized from the Millennium Ring into his solid form. He walked in step with Bakura silently back to his class.

He couldn't stand the silence between them and spoke his mind to his other half, stopping him in mid-step.

"Bakura, if you had only told her about me than I could've stayed with her and you needn't have worried. Do you still believe I'm that evil that you don't trust me to protect you sister from harm?"

"Nusumi, it's not that I don't trust you." He paused. "It's that I don't trust…I don't know. Myself I guess. I don't know what her reaction would be if I told her about you; especially about our past together and you being an ex-thief and everything. Besides, she's hanging out with Yugi and the others. And with Yami around nothing bad is going to happen to anybody in that group, especially Koko."

"You're going to have to tell her sooner or later if more people come for the items. It wasn't just me being greedy, Bakura. There are others who want the power and they won't hesitate to come for them either. You'll have to tell her when they start coming so she won't worry about you and Yugi when stuff starts to happen."

Bakura looked down, knowing his darker was right. "I know…you're right Nusumi. I just won't tell her yet. I know the sooner the better but what if she gets hurt?"

"If you told her than me and Yami could protect her both. You know we could with our kind of strength."

Bakura nodded and started to walk again, Nusumi joining him soon after.

While that was happening, back outside Koko walked back down the steps of the entrance to the school. She ran over to Yugi but suddenly became shy again about what they would say. She was never good at talking to people after all.

"Yugi?" She said it so quietly nobody even heard, but kept walking. She knew she was talking to soft for them to hear but the tears came anyway.

The puzzle flashed slightly to gain Yugi's attention.

/Aibou, you might want to turn around. You have a visitor I believe. /

This confused Yugi slightly but turned around just in time to see the first tear fall from Koko's eyes and onto the ground.

"Koko, what's wrong?" He asked stepping next to her only to have Koko step back from him. She shook a little before looking up to him.

"Yugi…could I…well…would you mind…mind being my friend?"

Yugi smiled and walked next to her while her eyes were closed so she wouldn't step back and gave her a small hug, but not so much that she would feel as though her personal space was being violated.

"I would love to be your friend, Koko. All of us would."

Koko hesitated before wrapping her arms around Yugi's shoulders, returning the hug. But they both jumped apart when something weird happened.

As Koko returned Yugi's embrace something like an old memory flashed across her memory. It was too sketchy to recall exactly anything in the picture but it was very blurry and she knew it happened so she jumped back from Yugi in surprise.

At the same time Yugi heard Yami gasp inside his head.

//Yami, what happened? Are you ok? //

/Aibou, it's weird to explain. It was very blurry like a memory or something from my ancient past. I don't know, but it happened when Koko returned your embrace. /

//We'll talk later if you want. Right now I don't think it's good time. //

Yami agreed and Yugi took hold of Koko's hand gently and led her back over to their friends. He looked back to see Nusumi in the window watching them. He nodded to show him that everything was going to be ok and the former thief nodded back his understanding before disappearing.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^*^*^*^*^

Hey everybody. There's the second chapter and I hope you enjoyed reading it. I'd appreciate the reviews or emails saying how much he liked or disliked it. Either way I don't care. Well, let me know what you think.