Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Paranoid ❯ Rock the Bar ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lyrics: “Take it off” by “The Donnas”
 
 
The two friends proceeded down the dark corridors, until Bakura pointed at a door and opened it. Immediately, Marik was attacked by overly loud music. The bass was so unbearable that it almost crushed his skull, and the Egyptian blindly groped around for support.
 
Bakura grinned lightly, as he watched the blonde lean on the wall deliriously.
 
“The walls are soundproof!!” Bakura said loudly, but Marik didn't hear anything over the music.
 
“WHAT??” The Egyptian shouted, as he finally started to adjust to the decibels that were threatening to deafen him.
 
“I SAID: THE WALLS ARE SOUNDPROOF!! THAT'S WHY YOU DIDN”T HEAR IT BEFORE!!” Bakura practically screamed. Marik noticed that the albino's expression was unusually bright and he was smiling softly.
 
`He looks so beautiful like that…' Marik started thinking romantically, as he watched Bakura pull his long hair up on a loose ponytail. When Bakura finally glanced at Marik with his piercing red orbs, and discovered that Marik had been staring at him, the Egyptian instantly averted his gaze.
 
`I'm acting like a little kid!! Damn!' Marik scolded himself inwardly and cursed his mysterious attraction to Bakura. The blonde swiftly decided he would try to be less obvious in the future…
 
“C'MON, YOU'RE TAKING ALL DAY!!” Marik whined at Bakura, who was rolling up the sleeves of his shirt. The albino grinned slightly at Marik's impatience and finally turned his attention to his friend.
 
“LET'S GO! FOLLOW ME, DON'T GET LOST!” Bakura commanded as he stepped outside the dark alcove and into the spotlight of the dance floor.
 
`Get lost? Is he kidding me?' Marik thought as he followed the albino. Soon, he noticed the crowd of dancing youngsters and the general mayhem of the commotion around. Suddenly, Marik understood exactly what Bakura meant by `Don't get lost'…It would have been very easy to miss Bakura in that beehive! If it wasn't for the albino's exceptional white head, Marik would have surely lost him already.
 
As the Egyptian strived to squash himself between dancers, he took notice of the surroundings. Blue and green spotlights were shining everywhere, the disco ball was hanging high in the air, and the bar carried a smell of freshness. In the middle of the dance-floor was a platform which protruded from the ground. Marik knew that the platform was the stage for all groups and bands, but now he could only see girls dancing there.
 
On the far end of the bar was a little space for the DJ, who seemed to be enjoying himself immensely while mixing songs and merging them in one.
 
“MARIKU!” the Egyptian distinguished his friend's yell, and turned to see where Bakura was.
 
As expected, Bakura had already reached the bar and was motioning for the blonde to come closer. Marik noticed that the bar was located in the corner of the dance-floor and that it was shining with exclusive black-lights. The music wasn't half as loud near the bar, since no megaphones were placed close and it was more or less secluded.
 
After Marik had come to stand next to his friend, Bakura told him to wait a moment and he walked behind the bar counter. Only then did Marik realize that there was a girl standing behind the bar already.
 
“Hey Sin.” Bakura greeted the girl, who immediately gave the albino a high-five when she saw him. Marik noticed her punk-like purple hair which was gathered in an unruly bun on her head. She looked like a Goth in general, since she was wearing pleather clothes and various silver pendants.
 
“Bakura! What's with the good mood?” the girl questioned in a curious voice, and her comment instantly made Marik twitch. Was it so bad that Bakura was in a good mood? And what did she mean by that? Perhaps Bakura hadn't been happy for ages…
 
Marik turned to see Bakura's smiling face, and was shocked to notice that the bloody eyes were focused on him. The Egyptian quickly averted his gaze and tried to calm his pounding heart…Bakura had been staring at him with that dreamy look again!!! Maybe that girl was right…maybe Bakura really was in a good mood today…Why else would he act so different around Marik?
 
`But I'm really different around him too…' a little voice reminded Marik in his thoughts. `Maybe we've both changed…' the Egyptian rolled that thought around his brain hopefully `If I've really changed…maybe I'm acting like my old self again…the Marik that Bakura is in love with!! And if I become that person again…'
 
Marik grinned unconsciously at his thoughts `Then Bakura will see I'm not crazy anymore…he'll see that I'm the same person…and if he does, then we will-'
 
The blonde boy gasped at his thoughts. What was he thinking? When had he started thinking like that? One day he was looking for the Millennium Rod and trying to take over the world…and the next he was fighting to prove to Bakura that he's NOT a homicidal maniac- he's actually Marik Ishtar…
 
How could he change so much ever since he read that diary? Why?
 
A sudden loud voice tore him away from his trance -it was that girl, and she was looking at him with wide eyes.
 
“Marik, no way!!!??” she shouted suddenly, making all customers who were sitting on bar stools look at her curiously. ”MARIK!!!!” the girl shouted in blind excitement, as she practically jumped over the counter in order to envelop Marik in a suffocating hug.
 
`I'm getting sick of this.' Marik thought slowly and gritted his teeth ominously. He aimed a glare at Bakura, who just stood there, shrugging. Marik was getting tired of getting jumped by whoever he saw. Isis and Rishid were okay…but a total stranger?? This was getting on his nerves…not only that, but the only person he actually WANTED to hug, was too afraid to touch him.
 
Oh yes…Bakura surely was afraid to touch his old love…
 
When the girl finally pulled away, she started beaming at Marik with a radiant smile. He had to resist the urge to roll his eyes in desperation. No matter how gothic, girls were always the same: overexcited, hyperactive and easily moved. In other words, born to irritate Marik.
 
“In case you're wondering, Marik, her name is Sin. She used to do the vocals for the group you were in…after you left, the band separated, so Sin decided she'd take the barwoman job.”
 
Marik nodded appreciatively, distantly wondering what other things there were to know about his old band. What did they sing? Was it any good?
 
Suddenly and very unexpectedly, Marik heard voices calling his name from behind. When he turned around, he came face to face with at least eight people, who were looking at him with sparkling eyes.
 
“Marik!”
 
“You're back!!”
 
“We've missed you!!”
 
“Oh my God, are you staying!!??”
 
Marik was a bit fazed by the onslaught of questions from these strangers. Did he know these people?
 
“Hey man, long time no see!” somebody told him from the group that surrounded him.
 
“So how `bout it? You came here to rock or what?” somebody asked, and Marik didn't really understand the meaning of that question.
 
“That's right, dude! What do you say? We haven't heard your guitar magic for a loooong time…” somebody commented, and Marik finally understood: they wanted him to…play the guitar? But he didn't know how!!!
 
He started squirming uncomfortably, and searching for a way to escape the conversation. Luckily, Bakura came to the rescue! The albino stepped beside him and smiled at the people around.
 
“Hey guys…” Bakura started saying in a friendly voice “Marik just came back…so I thought I'd have him help me in the bar today. Ya know, just to get back in the mood…”
 
People groaned in disapproval and Bakura simply smiled. Marik finally thought he'd have to stand up for himself and started speaking.
 
“That's right…but I sure will play for you one of these days…” the Egyptian said a bit unsurely. Bakura gave him a glance of approval that Marik was quite proud of.
 
“That's the spirit!”
 
“Yeah! The guitar god returns!!”
 
Marik grinned shakily. Guitar god? He didn't even know how to play the guitar…Now how can you tell this to a bunch of `fans'?
 
“Anyway, come on Mariku. We've got work to do!” Bakura said as he tugged on Marik's arm “Bye guys!” Bakura told the `fans' who smiled and went back to dancing. When they were all out of sight and Bakura had successfully led Marik behind the bar counter, Marik asked the question he had been dying to pose.
 
“Who were these people?” he asked, making Bakura smile elegantly.
 
“Oh, just a bunch of bar patrons…they all remember the times you sang on stage…” the albino commented, and Marik was sure Bakura was having flashbacks again. He was a bit jealous about not knowing what Bakura was thinking about exactly.
 
“I see…thanks…for telling them…” Marik started slowly. He was never very comfortable with thanking people…he was more comfortable with telling them off to be exact, but Bakura was different…he was always an exception...
 
Bakura obviously knew Marik's problem and nodded briefly “Don't mention it, Mariku…It's better if you took some time to readjust…By the way, about that bar manager I was telling you about, we probably won't meet her after all. Sin told me she left early today…”
 
Marik shook his head in understanding and started speaking, but was suddenly interrupted by Sin's voice.
 
“Hey Bakura, Mariku…the shift has changed…I gotta go!” she simply said, as she practically pounced away from the bar. Of course, she couldn't resist giving Marik another one of those suffocating hugs as she left.
 
“I'm so glad you're back, Marik!!” she squealed excitedly and then bid them goodbye. Marik stood standing there, blinking simply. He tried to imagine how good friends Sin and he must have been in the past…
 
But it wasn't really possible…Marik only had one true friend: Bakura. It was quite astonishing, really. Bakura and Marik were so different yet so similar. Marik attracted the attention of everyone with his handsome looks and his suave character…but the only person that Marik really wanted to attract was the aloof, lonely albino boy…How ironic was that?
 
And as for Bakura…all he obviously ever needed was to be cared about, to be loved…In the past, Marik had probably given Bakura all the care and attention the boy craved…That was why Bakura and Marik were so in love…they completed each other's needs. They were made for each other, designed solely to fill each other's `gaps'.
 
It was perfect...the thing Marik had always craved for: love and trust. This new world gave these things to him freely…Bakura was always there, he would never leave…And that feeling of reliability and devotion gave Marik the will to become a better person.
 
“C'mon lazy bum! We've got work to do!” Bakura suddenly said, and Marik noticed that the boy was already mixing some drinks together to make a cocktail. Marik raised an elegant eyebrow.
 
“What are you talking about? I have no idea how to make this stuff!” Marik simply said as he approached Bakura's hectic form. Bakura instantly turned to him and Marik dimly recognized the mischievous hue in the albino's eyes.
 
“Who said anything about making cocktails?” Bakura inquired, and Marik felt a shiver of delight run up his spine from Bakura's dark voice. Marik quirked an eyebrow as he expected his friend to give an explanation.
 
“We're gonna `entertain' our customers…” Bakura said and Marik's eyes widened ominously.
 
`What is he saying??!!' Marik frantically thought “I ain't doin' no striptease!!!” Marik shouted defensively, as he backed away from Bakura's smiling face.
 
The albino chuckled happily, in a voice so melodic that Marik found himself wishing he could hear it again. “I never implied anything like that, Mariku…” Bakura stated good-naturedly and Marik felt a weight lift up from his shoulders. Whoo…that was close…
 
“But we WILL entertain our customers.” Bakura's face had returned to that evil sneer and Marik had a bad feeling about the situation. Bakura's red eyes glinted in the black-light, and his pale skin resembled a thirsty vampire's.
 
“I say we have a little contest…” Bakura started, and Marik's brain boggled suddenly “Whoever gets to serve a drink in the most impressive way wins…”
 
Marik blinked slowly, trying not to seem like a complete idiot in front of Bakura. Finally, he couldn't understand it no matter how hard he tried.
 
“I don't get it.” he simply said, feeling his temperature rise at seeing Bakura's challenging smirk.
 
“We always have these kind of contests in the bar…All you have to do is perform an impressive stunt as you place the drink in front of the customer.” Bakura simply said, the bright smirk on his smile widening with every word “It's the art of the barman Mariku…see here!” Bakura suddenly said.
 
Marik saw the albino grab an empty glass in one hand and a whisky bottle in the other. The Egyptian was left to stare in disbelief, when Bakura started juggling the glass and the bottle. Finally, with one impressive twirl, Bakura started spinning the bottle in one hand while he placed the glass on the counter with the other. It was all a bit hazy as Bakura suddenly snatched the bottle in the air and poured the liquid in the glass without even looking. A couple of more spins and twirls and he had thrown four ice-cubes in the glass. The albino took the glass and practically threw it on the bar, where it landed in front of a confused customer.
 
Cheers and whistles were heard from around, while Bakura smiled at Marik's aghast expression and continued with his work. Marik, whose jaw had dropped previously, was now having a hard time recovering from the trance. He could only imagine how much practice Bakura had had with the bottles in the attic…Sheesh…
 
“Let me see you beat that, blondie!” Bakura challenged suddenly, as he let a huge cocktail glass glide over the surface of the bar. Marik huffed. Damn! He didn't know anything about this! He'd probably make a fool of himself…is this what Bakura wanted? To make fun of him? Nah….The albino was probably just getting payback for the motorcycle thing…
 
But then again, that competitive glint in Bakura's eye was just irresistible. Marik was drawn to it like a moth to the flame, and he already knew he had lost his effort of resistance. Marik just couldn't back away from a challenge, even though he knew he would probably make a fool of himself…
 
“You're on, cheerleader! Don' t twirl your staff too fast…” Marik snorted at Bakura's pleased face.
 
“First we take an order.” Bakura said before he turned around and asked a customer “What will it be, sir?”
 
The man looked at the albino curiously “I'll have an Ursus with Coca Cola.” The man said. Bakura smiled secretively and turned to his blonde friend.
 
“You heard the man…” the albino suggested. Marik was confused.
 
“I told you I don't know how-” he started, but was immediately interrupted.
 
“I know, Mariku…How about I make the drink and you `serve' our customer?” Bakura left that statement trail on. The next thing Marik knew, Bakura grabbed a nearby vodka bottle and started spinning it around like a wooden kung-fu staff. Then, the boy took a Coca cola bottle and started pulling his usual juggling stunt. And then it was all a bit confusing.
 
Bakura did this weird combination with his hands, and somehow, the Ursus vodka landed in the right place to fill a glass up to the middle. Just as Marik was watching, he saw something like a bottle been thrown at him with unbelievable speed. The blonde caught it reflexively and soon realized it was the Coke bottle.
 
“What the-?” he started wondering.
 
“Come on Mariku! Spin it! Or are you afraid I might beat your ass?” Bakura teased and Marik finally understood what he was supposed to do. Vaguely, he realized that their little stunts had attracted the attention of many a customer, who were now staring at him intently.
 
Marik had had a little practice with twirling his Millennium Rod around, so this couldn't be so hard, right? Slowly, and very cautiously, he started spinning the bottle around.
 
He almost dropped it a couple of times and was surely becoming weary of this game. What was the point, anyway?
 
“That's the spirit!” Bakura shouted, as he juggled with two bottles of beer “Now throw it to me!” The albino said, and Marik was dumbfounded. Throw it at him? Bakura wouldn't be able to catch it!
 
“Go on!” the silver-haired boy egged on, his red eyes sparkling with eagerness. Marik shrugged simply. Oh well, it would be Bakura's head that would crack in two, not his…
 
He suddenly tossed the bottle in Bakura's direction. The bottle spun in the air and aimed straight for Bakura's head. Suddenly, the albino threw one of the beer bottles he was holding to Marik's direction, while he caught the Coke bottle in the air.
 
Marik had a hard time with synchronization, as he stared at the new bottle in his hands.
 
“Let's see what you can do, blondie!!” Bakura challenged, as he spun around frantically and performed flawless stunts with ice cubes.
 
“Ha!!” Marik smirked as he approached the stack of whisky bottles and grabbed one. Soon, he started juggling with two bottles just like Bakura had been doing earlier.
 
Distantly, the boys heard the sound of rock music banging in the club. More people were gathering around the bar with each passing moment and Marik tried to focus on the music rather than their faces.
 
I'm on my second drink
But I've had a few before...
I'm tryin' hard to think
And I think that I want you on the floor
Uh huh, yeah on the floor!
 
The voice of a young girl echoed along with the pounding guitars, and Marik felt his adrenaline pump into his veins. Bakura was rushing around like a hurricane, Marik didn't even know what was happening, until Bakura shouted at him.
 
“Exchange bottles!!” Bakura yelled over the music and the cheers, and Marik instantly understood. When he saw Bakura throw a bottle at his direction, he threw one of his bottles towards Bakura.
 
Thus started a crazy sequence where Bakura and Marik threw bottles to one another accompanied by the loud music and the frantic yells of people from around.
 
Marik was shocked to see himself not missing a beat. He had never done this before!! How could he handle the bottles with such ease?!! The Egyptian saw Bakura moving in the rhythm of the music as they tossed the bottles at one another.
 
Go on and take it off
Take it off!
Shake it off baby, for me
C'mon and break me off
Break me off!
'Cause I get what I want and I like what I see
 
“Hold it for a sec!!” Bakura shouted, as he stopped throwing bottles at Marik and settled on juggling the two bottles he was holding. Marik did the same and watched Bakura as he literally climbed on the bar counter and kicked away some bottles. They fell with a clatter on the floor, but Bakura didn't seem to care at all.

Need your love 1,2,3
Stop starin' at my D cup
Don't waste time, just give it to me
C'mon baby, just feel me up
C'mon, just give it up
 
Marik watched the albino walk on the bar as though it was some kind of modelling fiesta. The boy kept spinning around in all directions, handling the bottles as though they were distaffs! Bakura spun the bottles behind his head and behind his back. At some point, he even raised his leg and started twirling the bottles under it. Marik was going crazy!! Was this really Bakura- the reserved and timid one?
 
“WHO WANTS FOAM IN THEIR BEER?!” Bakura roared at the crowd, and at least a hundred strangled cries shouted “ME” from the audience.
 
Go on and take it off
Take it off!
Shake it off baby, for me
C'mon and break me off
Break me off!
'Cause I get what I want and I like what I see
 
Marik felt his lips twitch upward in a lazy grin, as he watched the life flow out of the albino with an explosive energy. Before he knew what he was doing, Marik ran and jumped on the counter too. He started spinning the bottles in the way Bakura had done before, and moving around to the beat of the music.
 
“Exchange!” Bakura's ecstatic cry called, and instantly, the two boys started throwing bottles at each other from the top of the bar counter. It was like they shone out of the crowd- hungry hands kept shooting up to touch them from the people dancing underneath.
 
Forget the application...
You're the right guy for the task
Let me take you on vacation
Just do it, you don't have to ask!
 
Marik wasn't even concentrating on spinning the bottles any more. All he could focus on was Bakura's radiant smiling face looking back at him with that unbelievable glowing expression. Marik could only guess his own face mirrored the smile, but he didn't even care.
 
He only cared about swaying to the beat in sync with his partner. Soon, he started spinning and dancing while exchanging bottles with Bakura in lightning speed. The crowd was going wild, screaming the lyrics of the song at the top of their lungs.
Go on and take it off
Shake it off baby
, for me
C'mon and break me off

'Cause I get what I want and I lik
e what I see
Take it off
Take it off!
Take it off
baby, for me
Take it off
Take it off!
Take it off baby, for me
 
As the final chords of the song came, Marik recognised the smile on Bakura's face. He had seen it before- in that picture from Miami Beach. Bakura was now smiling in that same heavenly way, as though psychic completion had finally come to him.
 
When the song finally ended, Bakura and Marik each grabbed two bottles. Bakura tossed his to the crowd and people were seen diving to grab them. Marik did the same, and was shocked to see people doing the same for him.
 
Wow…that was intense. Bakura bowed slowly and shouted at Marik to be heard over the cheers.
 
“Not bad for your first time blondie! You passed the test!” the albino shouted with a mysterious shine in his eyes and a 1000-watt smile on his face.
 
Marik didn't even realize that he was reflecting Bakura's expression as he shouted “Of course, Babe! How could I not?”
 
Bakura's smile got even wider as he watched Marik's amethyst stormy eyes sparkle back at him. The crowd started screaming for an encore and Marik noticed Bakura's passionate glance stare at him.
 
“What do you say? Care to practice a bit more?” Bakura shouted at him, while hitting his foot on the bar surface violently. A glass jumped up instantly and Bakura bent down to catch it in the air.
 
He threw it at Marik's direction as more rock songs echoed around the bar. Marik caught the glass and smiled darkly.
 
“Absolutely” he simply said.
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
It was near three o'clock in the morning, when voices were heard from outside the Ishtar residence. The front door cracked a little, as the voices became louder.
 
“…And did you see the look on that guy's face when the Pinia Colada landed right in front of him?! Man it was priceless!!” a deep, exotic voice chuckled lightly.
 
The melodic laugh of an airy tone joined in “I know…poor guy got the shock of his life! Remember when you dropped the ice in the back of his shirt?!” loud guffawing started after that, until the gruff voice periodically chocked out a few words in a mock indignant tone “Hey! That was an accident!!”
 
The figure of a tall, lean boy appeared in the doorway. His golden hair distinguished the outline of his tanned face. After he stepped inside giddily, another boy came in- this one with unusually long silver hair.
 
“Pfff!! Yea right! I saw the look of sick enjoyment on your face when he started wailing!!” Bakura told his friend with not-so-hidden mirth.
 
Marik snorted and closed the door after Bakura. They were both more than a little tired, but it didn't really show. They had stayed in the bar for nearly five hours, dancing and shouting till dawn.
 
Marik didn't even bother caring about his carefree attitude. He was partially ashamed to acknowledge he was enjoying himself immensely. The thing that he relished most of all was the sparkling smile that now permanently adorned Bakura's face. His time with Bakura had suddenly become so precious…and he could finally see why Bakura loved it so much when they were together.
 
During that night, he had heard people talking about Bakura at least a dozen times. They all said the same thing: `I haven't seen Bakura so happy in a long time.'
 
Marik rejoiced in the feeling that he could make Bakura smile like that again. It looks like he wasn't just a crazy maniac anymore…now he had found the key to make Bakura smile brightly -the key he had been searching for all along.
 
And now that Marik finally had the way to make Bakura smile for him, he wanted to learn everything- everything there was to know about the albino. He wanted to learn more about their past…and he wanted to gain the power to make Bakura love him all over again. Love him for what he was- show him what love was.
 
“Damn!” Bakura suddenly started as he pulled Marik towards the staircase “Sin should have been there. She missed the show of her life…” Bakura let the statement trail on as he started staggering tiredly up the stairs.
 
Marik saw his companion yawn widely. Bakura had this sated, satisfied look as though he had just spent the greatest night of his life. Frankly, at least for Marik, this WAS the greatest night of his life.
 
And the reassuring feeling that there would be other nights- because Bakura would never leave him- only made the Egyptian more content. Finally, he had what he always wanted. A companion that he knew would not leave him suddenly. A…friend…
 
`We are friends, aren't we?' Marik thought gleefully, as he took notice of every little angle of Bakura's worn face. `I AM his friend, right?'
 
`You're more than his friend…' the annoying small voice at the back of Marik's head piped up suddenly. He quickly hushed it and focused on walking in a straight line and not bumping on Bakura- although it wouldn't have been so bad if he brushed against those tight pants…
 
NO! BAD thoughts! BAD Marik!!
 
“…and that punk David…he watches the Teletubbies? How sick is that?” Marik commented. Bakura laughed as he staggered up the stairs.
 
“He was drunk, Mariku…he didn't know what he was saying…” Bakura laughed and Marik sneered. But both boys cried out when Bakura tripped and almost fell down the stairs. Luckily, Marik kept him from falling for the second time that night.
 
“Thanks…” Bakura simply said, making Marik wave it off.
 
“You need some sleep.” Marik logically noted and Bakura grinned slightly “Yes mommy.”
 
It came as a bit of a shock for Marik when he found himself standing in front of the guestroom door. How had they gotten there so fast? It seemed like a mere second had passed with Bakura.
 
Bakura seemed to think the same thing, as his happy expression suddenly changed to one of reluctance. Marik understood the boy's feelings because he felt the same thing exactly. He didn't want to part with Bakura. He wanted to stay with the boy that night… to stay and talk with Bakura until the dark would carry them to sleep…to sleep beside the boy and never part with him…
 
And it was tragic to know that Bakura felt the same way but couldn't do a thing…The situation was just so unbelievably complicated. They both felt the same way but were too afraid of one another. Bakura still thought that Marik would probably spit at his face if he even suggested such a thing, and Marik feared that Bakura wouldn't believe the sincerity of his feelings. Bakura would probably think Marik pitied him or something…And Marik had pieced together the logical clues that Bakura didn't like to be pitied.
 
That's probably why Bakura hadn't told him about their old, broken relationship…because he didn't want Marik to pity him. But Marik had found out anyway, and discovered he didn't pity Bakura half as much as he pitied himself. What kind of pathetic existence would be so cruel so as to harm the people who loved him? Only Marik the Maniac…
 
“Well…I guess I better be going upstairs…” Bakura said as he averted his gaze to study the wall. The albino's tone seemed secretly reluctant, and Marik still managed to trace the evidence of yearning in the voice.
 
The situation also hit Marik like a brick. Bakura was going in the attic again…to get drunk and die of sorrow!! But then again, Bakura did seem reluctant to lock himself up…Marik had never heard him so reluctant before. He noticed that Bakura's smile had been wiped out and was now replaced by a little frown. But there was nothing Marik could do to change the situation. Bakura didn't want to go to their old room…
 
“Yea…I guess…” Marik repeated a bit numbly and watched Bakura's miserable attempts to look inconspicuous and happy.
 
“Well, goodnight…see you in the morning…” Bakura said slowly, as Marik opened his bedroom door and nodded.
 
“Bakura, it IS morning.” Mark stated in an effort to lighten the mood. It seemed to work for a moment, since Bakura smiled brightly. But a few seconds later, the dark shade had covered the albino's features all over again. Marik felt himself drowning in self-hate. He couldn't even prevent Bakura from hurting himself!
 
“G'night, Mariku…” Bakura said and started walking slowly towards the stairs that led to the attic.
 
“'Night…” Marik murmured a bit darkly, as he watched his friend walk to the attic. Marik didn't close his door until he saw Bakura entering the attic and locking the door.
 
The Egyptian instantly felt a heavy weight squeeze his heart. He didn't want Bakura to cry and get drunk…he thought he had succeeded in something when he made Bakura happy before…but it was obviously not enough…
 
Marik sighed heavily as he closed the door. He leaned on it with his back and let his knees buckle.
 
The beautiful blonde slid downwards, until he was sitting on the floor with his head dipped back and his eyes closed.
 
“Why does it have to be so damn hard…?” he whispered to himself. Suddenly, a curt, stiff knock was heard from his door.
 
Marik's eyes popped open and his heart skipped a beat. Who was it? Bakura! Had he come back?!!
 
Marik stood up instantly and opened the door a bit too quickly. His hoarse eyes instantly met blood-dipped ruby. Bakura was standing there, his shoulders incredibly tense and his lips a straight quivering line. Marik felt the anxiety in Bakura echo in his own body. His heartbeat started throbbing painfully in his chest, and he was sure that the blood would start gushing out of his veins from the pressure.
 
Bakura clenched his jaw nervously, and Marik noticed a tense blue river of blood pump frantically on Bakura's neck. Oh…he was stressed all right. Marik could only imagine the fright...
 
“Bakura” Marik started slowly, trying to decipher Bakura's movements.
 
“Sorry, Mariku…” the albino started as he took in a shaky breath of courage. Marik's heart constricted with his frantic heartbeat. Bakura was so afraid…imagine the courage he had to gather in order to come to Marik's door…why was he so stressed anyway? Marik writhed in impatience as Bakura's fingers fidgeted instinctively with the hem of his shirt.
 
“…but…um…” Bakura continued slowly, each word uttered lower than the previous “I think…the cleaning lady came this morning…”
 
Marik froze and literally stopped breathing. The cleaning lady…had come? Didn't that mean…
 
Marik's eyes widened and his dark lips opened slowly in delirium. Was Bakura implying…was he actually suggesting…
 
“…and she cleaned our old room…” Bakura took a quick, bashful glance at Marik. Marik shoved his hands in his pockets in order to hide the fact that they were shaking. He settled on hyperactively tapping his foot on the floor.
 
Bakura obviously misinterpreted his actions and instantly took a step backwards with his visibly trembling hands pulled in defence.
 
“But we don't have to sleep there if you don't want to!! I-I just thought…you should know…”
 
Marik shook his head frantically in spite of himself. He didn't even have full control of his mouth as he uttered the next few words.
 
“NO! I mean…I want to…Actually, it's not like…well, actually it's because…” he rambled on until he lost control and just finished the statement “Let's just go.”
 
Bakura looked like a deer caught in the headlights. He hadn't seen it coming. He obviously was expecting Marik to roar at him and scream…but he certainly hadn't been awaiting the positive result.
 
Bakura let out a strangled squeak which Marik recognised as `Okay'…and then, the beautiful albino shoved his trembling hands in his pockets too.
 
Both boys were a bit numb and shaky as they walked to their old room. Bakura was clearly taking hoarse, ragged breaths as he opened the door. Marik's heartbeat was threatening to spill his blood out of his body.
 
They entered the dark, curiously warm room. Bakura instantly flipped the right switch. Marik was once again dumbfounded by how good Bakura knew this place...
 
Bakura didn't speak for a minute; neither did he look at Marik. He just settled on staring around slowly. Finally, his eyes fell on the purple-covered bed and he quickly averted his gaze.
 
Marik observed every little reaction like a hawk. When he saw Bakura tense at the sight of the bed, he instantly understood. That was the bed that they…well…
 
The memories must have been very hurtful for Bakura…For Marik, on the other hand, the fact that he DIDN'T have the memories was hurtful.
 
Wanting to break the frozen atmosphere, Marik suddenly lunged on his purple bed and fell on the strangely puffy mattress with a soft `poof'…
 
Bakura took a sharp intake of breath and visibly paled. “You always used to do that!” he suddenly said, making Marik suddenly proud of himself. Ha!! So he WAS himself after all!! Now all he needed were those friggin' earrings- where WERE they anyway?
 
“Of course! I AM myself, you dolt!!” Marik teased, making Bakura smile and shake his head dismissively. The albino walked to his bed and sat on it shakily. When he sunk in the mattress, he let out a soft purr, and Marik's heart curiously pumped harder again.
 
Poor Bakura. He had probably missed his soft bed, sleeping in that broken attic couch for God knows how long…Bakura was finally coming back to life!!
 
And it excited Marik more than anything, to see Bakura change from a broken, lifeless corpse, to a lively, handsome, competitive boy!
 
The Egyptian watched Bakura close his eyes in sheer bliss as he sunk lower into the mattress. A slow, giddy smile graced the angel's features, and at that moment, Marik noticed how vulnerable and pale the other boy looked. He was exactly like the moon…beautiful…
 
Abruptly, as he watched his friend's form rest peacefully, all the weariness caught up with him. He felt his eyelids become heavy and he closed his eyes tiredly.
 
“I don't think I can take my clothes off…” Marik said with a yawn, his gorgeous tanned face twisting beautifully.
 
“Neither can I…” Bakura said with his eyes closed “Let's just sleep…” he said in a tone so grateful Marik swore he had never heard before. The ruffling of covers revealed that Bakura had covered himself. Marik tiredly mimicked his friend's movements and felt the warmth and sweet smell of the sheets envelop him.
 
“Goodnight Bakura…” He simply said, as he closed his eyes and waited for the answer.
 
“Night…blondie…” Bakura said with a lazy smile. The albino was thoroughly shaken, when Marik's pillow hit him face first. Bakura groaned and rolled over, grabbing Marik's pillow and shoving his head under it.
 
“Maaarikuuu…” he whined.
 
Marik simply snorted “Who's the blondie now?” But then, he saw that Bakura made no move to return his pillow “Hey!! Give me back my pillow!!!!”
 
But his pleas fell on deaf ears…Bakura had probably fallen asleep already…Marik shook his head dismissively and settled on getting comfortable without a pillow. “Goodnight…”
 
Nearly twenty minutes later, the blonde Egyptian was slowly drifting to sleep, but had not completely slept yet…Suddenly, he heard soft footfalls from his left, but decided to pretend he was asleep in order not to alert Bakura.
 
Bakura probably thought Marik was asleep when he slowly slipped the Egyptian's pillow under his head. Marik felt the urge to smile…Bakura had waited until he was supposedly asleep to return the pillow…so, Bakura really did care.
 
But all coherent thoughts left Marik's brain when he sensed a sudden, scorching breath caress his cheek. His heart started beating incoherently faster, as he fought to keep his breathing in a steady, `sleep-like' pace…
 
It all happened much too fast, as soft, full lips covered his for one mere second. The kiss was so swift and soft…And then, there was nothing…and the touch was gone. Only whispered words graced his skin from then on…
 
“Goodnight my love…” came the unmistakable airy voice of the albino. Marik's heart was in turmoil, threatening to tear his body asunder. The warm presence next to him was gone in an instant, and Bakura walked back to his bed slowly.
 
Just as Marik heard the shuffle of covers, he opened his desperate eyes. His lips were burning, begging to be caressed again. He could sense a strange itch at his fingers, and he had to use all his will power to keep from touching his mouth.
 
The phrase Bakura had used was replaying itself in the Egyptian's head like a sinful, hopeful mantra.
 
`Goodnight my love…'
 
And Marik found himself smiling with his eyes closed. `Goodnight…my love…' he answered in his mind, as he kissed his imaginary Bakura passionately.
 
Suddenly, his frantic eyes popped open and he realized what he had been fantasizing about.
 
`Shit!!!' he cursed profusely.