Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Paranoid ❯ Sorry ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Marik's hand trembled as he stretched it over Bakura's sleeping face. It was morning, and Marik had conveniently woken up before his roommate. Unable to contain his urges, the golden-haired boy had softly sat on Bakura's bedside.
 
Was it the description of that diary? Or maybe the fact that Bakura looked like a real angel when he slept? Whatever it was, Marik had the compulsion to stare at his sleeping friend, and to experiment with all the things he had read in that diary…
 
ALL the things…
 
Marik the heartless Egyptian blushed lightly…
 
His fingers merely grazed over Bakura's cheek. It couldn't even be considered a touch…it was more of a feather-like flutter. Marik unconsciously leaned forward, towards the sleeping beauty's face.
 
His eyes were fixed on Bakura's closed eyelids, suddenly wishing Bakura was awake…just so the albino could look at him again…in that special way…with those special eyes…and that special smile…
 
Do wishes really come true?
 
Marik couldn't really find the answer to that question, as Bakura's eyes abruptly shot open, poles of hazy scarlet glinting darkly in the room.
 
Marik froze, seeing as Bakura was obviously too sleepy to fully comprehend what was happening. Or more importantly, the fact that Marik was caught red-handed, bending over his friend in a very suggestive way indeed.
 
“Mariku? What's wrong? Am I dreaming?” Bakura's gruff, dazed voice inquired. Marik quickly pulled his hand away as if burned. He quickly sat straight, thus pulling his face sufficiently away from the albino's. For a moment, he was tempted to answer `Yes you are dreaming' but he knew it wasn't likely to work.
 
“Um…” he started unsurely “Uh…” `My God I sound like a complete moron!!'
 
Bakura sat up and brought his torso very close to Marik's again. The albino boy stretched in a way Marik considered simply…boyish…Marik never remembered Bakura stretching in the `Battle City' dreamworld…In fact, in `Battle City' he hadn't seen Bakura do anything at all except bark around at various people, sneer, drink blood, glare, scream and fight…and that was about it. But this Bakura…he had all the amazing qualities of a normal human being: he yawned and stretched and ate and talked articulately…wasn't that just amazing?
 
Apparently, Marik had been too caught up in his thoughts and forgot about finding a believable excuse about what he was doing ON BAKURA'S BED, leaning over the sleeping boy…
 
Oh well.
 
“Marik? Whatsa matter?” Bakura tiredly asked, as he stifled a yawn. Marik's purple orbs flew around desperately, frantically searching for something to say without sounding like an idiot.
 
A-ha!!
 
“Uhh…I was just checking whether you were awake or not.” It was short, it was normal, it was practical. Bakura would surely buy it…
 
“Couldn't you just speak to me?” Bakura's curious and slightly groggy eyes inquired.
 
Dang!
 
Marik smiled nervously “Umm…that really didn't occur to me at the time…” he was disgusted at the defensive tone of his own voice. Couldn't he act a bit more like his old homicidal self any more?
 
Bakura seemed to be pleased with that explanation and simply nodded. “We have to get ready, Mariku. Today is the day we must visit the asylum. We have to go there every three days for a checkup, remember?”
 
Marik groaned loudly, as he made no move to stand away from Bakura's warm bed. He had forgotten about the asylum meeting…Damn!! He wasn't looking forward to being treated as a lunatic again…
 
“Come on, let's go!” Bakura said, and Marik took this as a reluctant hint for him to leave the bed. He stood up slowly and walked to the wardrobe, where he tried to sort out some of the now freshly washed clothes to wear.
 
Finally, he settled for the classic green shirt with silver chains and a pair of dark green-black trousers.
 
Darn…this was gonna be one hell of a day…Marik thought, as he watched Bakura slowly walk out of bed, still scratching his head in weariness.
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
 
 
Bakura looked reluctant as he stepped through the asylum doors. Marik followed unhappily, while experiencing unpleasant flashbacks of what had taken place in that hellhole.
 
Why did he have to go back there, anyway? He was cured now, right? No more doctors!! No more injections!
 
But Bakura did insist, and there wasn't exactly anything Marik could do to prevent it, so he just followed. He contemplated the fact that he felt somehow tied to Bakura now…It wasn't like he couldn't just run away…But yet, he chose to stay with Bakura and his family.
 
He didn't have anyone else in this world anyway.
 
To be realistic about it, he didn't have anyone else in the Yugioh “Dreamworld”, either. In his dream world, it was always him…and, well, himself. Rishid and his other minions couldn't exactly be considered friends and family. Marik always felt alone: He had to construct and execute plans all alone, he had to dine alone, he had to sleep alone…He was alone.
 
Until recently, when he woke up from his hallucinations.
 
He just didn't feel alone near Bakura. He felt at home, where he belonged…Amazing how just a few days of staying with the albino could provoke such feelings from Marik's part.
 
Anyway, the Egyptian kept silent as Bakura led him through white-walled hallways and down endless corridors. Finally, when the two boys reached a certain hall with doors in alignment, Bakura stopped.
 
“We're here, Mariku.” He simply said and pointed to the door closest to them. Marik had to squint his eyes to read the label on the door. “Dr. Jake Westman” it wrote, and Marik quirked an eyebrow at the little sign that was underneath.
 
“Do not disturb”
 
Marik turned to Bakura instantly, his lavender eyes sparkling with hope “Hey, Bakura…can't you see that the man doesn't want to be disturbed? Com' on let's get outa here!!” Marik urged, but the silver-haired boy shook his head in refusal.
 
“Relax, Marik…He's not gonna bite your head off…” Bakura commented with a smile, as he took a step towards the door. His pale hand rose to touch the doorknob, but Marik grabbed his shoulder before he could turn it.
 
The albino turned around questioningly, his glassy red gaze hovering over Marik's purple one. Marik couldn't understand why he was so nervous about meeting this guy…it was just a doctor, right?
 
No…it was a psychiatrist…
 
A shrink.
 
And it killed Marik to acknowledge that he of all people was in need of a shrink. He had always mocked the ones with psychological problems, calling them weak. Now he was one of them…how ironic. That should mean he was weak too, right?
 
Not only that, but he was stressed about what the psychiatrist would diagnose. What if he was still crazy? What if he couldn't be with Bakura anymore?
 
The albino boy seemed to understand all of Marik's fears with that penetrating blood gaze. “It's gonna be okay…” Bakura murmured lightly, and Marik felt his heart lunge out of his chest at the loving tone. But he couldn't just stand there and let Bakura treat him like a baby- no sir!
 
“Of course, you dolt! Now open that door before my teeth fall off!!” Marik ordered with a mock-harsh tone, his eyes revealing other feelings…feelings like thankfulness and glee.
 
Bakura grinned slightly and shook his head in an exasperated manner. “You never change, Mariku…” The angelic boy said, as he finally turned the knob and stepped into the bright room.
 
Marik came in behind his friend and closed the door with a loud thud. Bakura spun around and gave a disapproving look at his blonde friend, but it was too late…the doctor had already been startled. The chubby short man that was standing near the window jumped in surprise at the sound of the closing door. He turned around swiftly with an expression of shock, which immediately broke into a smile when he saw Bakura's face.
 
“Oh…It's you, Bakura…you scared me there…what a pleasant surprise” the doctor started saying lightly, until his gaze fell on the man standing next to the albino boy. “Ahh…And Marik has come too….I trust you have come for our meeting. How are you, child?”
 
Marik looked reluctant for a second, until he felt Bakura nudge him with the elbow. The blonde jerked up instantly and aimed a killer glare at his partner while grumbling “I'm fine.” to the doctor.
 
Jake Westman was more than pleasantly surprised when he noticed the air of ease and casualty that hovered over the two boys. So Bakura had worked his magic after all, just like his friend Carl had predicted…Marik was already looking more normal. His behavior didn't seem half as forced as before, and he carried himself calmly. `Not to mention he's gotten back into his old stylistic habits…' the good doctor thought, as he speculated Marik's attire carefully.
 
“Three days have passed, doctor…We're here to see you, just as you asked.” Bakura simply said while taking a few steps towards the doctor and tugging Marik's elbow forward.
 
`Physical contact…very good…' Dr. Westman thought, as a slight twitch on his lips made him smile. “I see…well, take a seat, gentlemen…” the chubby man said, as he walked to his desk and sat behind it. Bakura took a seat at a nearby chair and motioned for Marik to do the same.
 
The doctor watched, amazed and slightly perplexed, as the arrogant, proud and overall plain impossible Marik Ishtar took a few steps forward. If the doctor hadn't known better, he'd say Marik was almost shy. Almost. The blonde boy seemed to keep close watch of Bakura at all times- as though if Bakura left, his whole world would crumble and he would be completely lost.
 
Perhaps that wasn't far from the truth…
 
Thinking that the `session' would have to start sooner or later, Dr. Westman started by giving an amiable smile to the Egyptian.
 
“So…Marik. How are you feeling?”
 
Marik's eyes flashed disgustedly. `How are you feeling?' That was the most typical, annoying, stereotyped question a shrink could ask! Being reminded he was a psychopath at all times was quite angering for Marik.
 
The doctor obviously understood Marik's feelings at the time, and resisted the urge to wince at his bad choice of words.
 
“I mean…” Westman rushed to correct “How's life back home?”
 
The boy's lavender orbs fluttered quickly to glance at the albino, as though searching for some kind of approval. The doctor was aghast to say the least- how could Bakura affect Marik so much in a mere couple of days?
 
Finally, as Bakura gave a soft nod to his friend, Marik eyes returned to the doctor's face. Westman watched his patient sigh in an effort to calm himself. It must have been very humiliating for arrogant Marik Ishtar to visit a doctor, Westman thought.
 
The doctor probably didn't know how right he was.
 
“I'm doing fine. Everything's great.” Came the short, curt reply. Westman was sure he detected a tone of impatient stiffness in the boy's voice. Looks like Marik wanted out of there…and fast. Westman tried not to smile at that thought, and returned to the task at hand.
 
“I see…Did you encounter any difficulties? Any…problems?” the doctor selected his words carefully, trying to seem as inconspicuous as ever.
 
Meanwhile, Marik was having other thoughts.
 
`What kind of `problems' you idiot? PMS? I'm not pregnant or something!!!' Marik barked in his head, but somehow managed to maintain a calm mask on the outside.
 
“I don't see what you mean, exactly…but no. I've had no problems…” he managed to say while trying to keep his teeth from gritting visibly.
 
The doctor nodded curtly and gave another one of those sugar-coated, innocent smiles. Marik found himself willing to decapitate the man there and then. He wasn't crazy anymore damnit! He didn't need any of this shit! He didn't need those fake smiles, those comforting words and that medication!! He just wanted out!!
 
“That's great!” the doctor said “When I refer to problems, I mean any kind of hallucinations…Patients who have suffered for a long time, might become delirious at some point…”
 
It was Bakura's turn to speak, as the albino saw Marik's furious expression from the corner of his eye. “Don't worry doctor- I've got that covered. We'll inform you immediately if Marik has any problems…”
 
Marik felt his brain implode at those words. `I've got that covered?' That phrase sounded really wrong…..It made him feel like he was under surveillance or something…It only verified his suspicions that Bakura only saw him as a crazy half-maniac!! So Bakura had been watching him…waiting for when he'd flip….Bakura DID think he was crazy…
 
And here he was trying to convince himself otherwise…
 
“That's fine, Bakura…” the doctor said kindly, as he turned his attention back to Marik “So, Marik…is there anything you'd like to talk about?”
 
Marik winced inwardly. Another one of those stereotyped phrases. Now he felt as though he was in one of those psychiatric groups. Damn, this was just getting better and better…
 
“No, I'm fine… thanks.” Marik struggled to act polite and say all the right words in order to be left alone, at peace. Was this guy for real, anyway? Why would he need to talk about anything? He wasn't crazy anymore- no hallucinations! Now there was only Bakura…
 
“Well, alright…” the doctor started a bit disappointedly. He hadn't really been expecting a different answer; anyway…He lazily raised his hand and shoved it in his pocket, where he took hold of one of his cards.
 
“Here” he said, as he offered a card to Marik “Please take my card. If you ever feel the need to talk to someone, don't hesitate…I'll be waiting.”
 
Marik refrained from rolling his eyes and sighing in exasperation. He should have seen it coming, really. It was the typical behavioral pattern of shrinks. Oh well, might as well act `normal' and take it…
 
Marik reached out and took the card from the smiling doctor's hand. He looked at it with mild interest, and noticed that Westman's phone number and address were printed on the card.
 
“Sure.” Marik curtly answered, eager to simply get the hell out of there. As long as he acted calm and composed, the shrink would not think ill of him.
 
“Do you take your medication every six hours?” the doctor asked with the air of a mother questioning her sick child. Marik nodded quickly. He wasn't very happy about the `medication' either…
 
“Good” Westman commented “It helps soothe your brain…Make sure to be punctual about taking it in the accurate doses and times.”
 
Marik nodded again, but didn't have time to answer, since Bakura spoke in his place “Don't worry doctor! Isis and I always make sure he takes the proper dose.”
 
Marik was literally fuming by now. So was that all? Did Bakura see him as a complete lunatic??!! It was infuriating, listening to Bakura speak about Marik as though he wasn't even in the ROOM!! Of course he was there! He listened to every single spoken word and crumbled at the sheer realization that hit him like a brick.
 
Bakura really did think he was nuts. All those glances…that ride on the motorbike…the goodnight kiss…had they really meant nothing?? Why did Bakura still think he was crazy? He did EVERYTHING in his might to prevent exactly that from happening!!
 
“That's fine, Bakura…” the doctor commented “Now, Marik…would you mind taking a little walk in the gardens while Bakura and I discuss some things?” the chubby man asked.
 
Marik's eyes visibly widened. That was it -the last straw!! Leave them alone? Leave them alone in their little conference about how crazy he was? His eyes darted to Bakura's direction, and he saw the albino nod at him slowly in agreement, trying to calm him.
 
Did Bakura think he was a retard or something? He didn't need to be placated and reassured!! Damn!!! As Marik felt his temperature rise in absolute fury, he gave a swift nod towards the doctor and aimed an earth shattering glare towards Bakura.
 
`You'll pay for this' his eyes stated, and Bakura seemed thoroughly perturbed by the sudden hostility.
 
Marik instantly stood up and walked to the door with long strides. “I'll leave you to your thoughts, then.” He said sarcastically, while obviously trying to contain his ire. He didn't take notice of the doctor's smiling expression and Bakura's anxious face as he shut the door behind him.
 
The blonde slowly started walking towards the gardens he had visited many times throughout his recent stay. He was still writhing in anger- how dare Bakura treat him like a madman?!!
 
They were probably talking about him right now, saying how schizophrenic he was or other nasty things. Bakura was probably reassuring that freaky shrink that he would `take care of that psycho' at all costs…
 
So that was it? That was all he was to Bakura? A homicidal creep? And here he had assumed that Bakura believed in him…He thought…Bakura loved him…
 
Loved him for HIM. HIM. For what HE was. Not for some ancient memory…He had thought he could show Bakura he wasn't crazy…
 
Wasn't he worthy of love? Would he never have the chance to experience all those things the diary wrote? Why? Why was he so cursed? He wasn't crazy anymore!! He was trying!!!
 
Why couldn't Bakura see that? Why couldn't he be loved again? Why?
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
The doctor smiled soundly as the door closed behind Marik. He turned to see Bakura's devastated, worried expression.
 
“Doctor! He's not mad at me, is he? Why did he get mad at me again??!” the albino instantly questioned, when Marik's footsteps faded out. The doctor smiled kindly back at Bakura. This boy was so worried for his friend…Westman had many a time admired Bakura's stamina.
 
“Don't worry, Bakura…he'll get over it…” the doctor soothed with a reassuring grin “He just doesn't like being left out, I bet…Maybe you need to talk to him when you go back home…” he suggested. Bakura sighed quite shakily.
 
“Easier said than done…” the albino commented, and his red eyes immediately sparkled at the doctor “Why is he mad at me? I didn't say anything wrong, did I? Did I?”
 
The doctor chuckled good naturedly “No, Bakura…you didn't…relax…He'll get over it soon enough…”
 
Bakura sighed in a frustrated manner and seemed to try and relax. The doctor smiled at him as he continued “Now tell me…how is he?”
 
At this, the reaction that Westman had been expecting came. Bakura excitedly popped up from his chair and started pacing hyperactively around the room. The boy's bloodshot eyes were sparkling with a beauty feral and strange... and Westman had to admit that he had never seen Bakura so enthusiastic and lively before.
 
“You won't believe it, Doc!” Bakura started frantically, as he paced up and down the room “It's like he's another person!! I just can't believe it! We joke around…and we laugh…and he's always insulting me…It's just like before!!”
 
The doctor nodded appreciatively at Bakura's unusual ramble, not caring to hide his own wide smile of satisfaction.
 
“And when we went to the bar…My God, it was just like before!! I just can't understand it! One day he was spacing out, and the next he just…wasn't! He acts like Marik, walks like Marik, talks like Marik…he even EATS like Marik…Doctor I wish you could see it!! We even slept in the same room yesterday- just like before!! He's back!! Marik is back -just without his memories! The character's the same…I just can't believe it… ”
 
Bakura started mumbling incoherent things under his breath, while the doctor came to stand next to him and eyed him slowly.
 
“I see you look better as well, Bakura…” the doctor commented, making Bakura stare at him confusedly “Last time I saw you…you were ready to collapse. Seems like you've been resting and eating better…”
 
Bakura's cheeks became rosy with a steady pink hue “Uhh…well…” the boy started “Now that Marik's back and all…”
 
The doctor smiled and continued the phrase for Bakura “…you thought you'd start living again, right?”
 
Bakura was obviously startled as he looked at the doctor in front of him “Well…yeah…” the albino looked perturbed as he watched the chubby man' s knowing smile “So you're not a psychiatrist for nothing, after all…” Bakura commented.
 
The man smirked as he leaned on the window and looked at Marik's figure in the garden “On the contrary, Bakura…In fact I'm much better than you think…” he simply said, and watched the albino walk next to him and gaze at Marik also.
 
When Westman didn't receive an answer he turned to look at Bakura's face. He wasn't so surprised to see Bakura staring at Marik with an utterly and undeniably love-struck gaze. There was a lazy smile over Bakura's lips, and the boy looked absolutely…well, to put it bluntly: in love.
 
A very rare, very genuine smile graced the psychiatrist's lips. Bakura was happy- he was truly happy again. There was nothing the doctor craved more than to see that boy smile again in true bliss. Bakura was worth it. He was one of the few people that were worth it.
 
Westman knew that what this boy felt for his friend was beyond description. It was beyond words. It was…love. True, absolute love. And for some reason…the doctor believed that cruel, heartless Marik Ishtar would do the same for Bakura if need be.
 
What these two people had was unbreakable. It was simply irreplaceable.
 
It didn't matter that they were both men in this case. All that mattered was that they were in love and happy. It seemed that Marik and Bakura were bonded in so many ways: friendship, brotherhood, masculinity, sentiments, partnership, reliability, devotion…love. This kind of bond was so rare and so expensive in society, that it was truly praiseworthy. Truly remarkable. Who was Westman to judge their relationship?
 
Of course…that didn't mean that he couldn't tease Bakura about it…
 
“Hey Bakura…doesn't Marik look perfect in that outfit?” he questioned innocently and watched the albino's reaction. Westman really did feel like exploding in laughter when Bakura's unshaken, clueless, dreamy smile curled up even wider. The albino even nodded in that completely preoccupied way.
 
But then, Bakura's expression suddenly changed to one of shock and is eyes widened ominously. Immediately, he turned to gawk at the doctor's sly expression.
 
Realizing that there was no way to cover up his blunder, Bakura settled for a simple “I…um…about Marik…uh…SHIT!!” he finally cursed as he shoved his head in both his hands. The doctor smiled and patted the boy's back softly with a smile.
 
“It's all right, Bakura…” the man wholeheartedly said “I don't think it's so bad…”
 
Bakura stopped cursing at himself and suddenly looked up at the doctor “…You don't?”
 
Westman chuckled “Of course I don't! If it makes you happy! Your skin is practically glowing!” he said, making Bakura's piercing eyes soften lightly.
 
“T-Thanks, doctor…” he finally said with a relieved sigh “I'm glad you don't think of us that way…”
 
The doctor patted Bakura's shoulder reassuringly “It's not about homosexuality…it's about love.” He stated, making Bakura's ruby eyes become curiously even more vivid.
 
The albino nodded fervently, turning to look back outside the window. “It is…” he simply said, as he watched the blonde Egyptian tap his foot impatiently on the grass.
 
Suddenly, Marik's lavender eyes rose up and pierced into the window behind of which Bakura was standing. Bakura almost shivered from the intensity of Marik's glare, and he made a half-hearted attempt to wave at the blonde.
 
At this, Marik defiantly turned around and ignored the albino in the most angry, brash way.
 
Bakura's expression converted to one of obvious heartbreak. The doctor watched all this with interest and tried to smile reassuringly at his albino friend.
 
“I don't understand doctor…he was fine just a few minutes ago…” Bakura said with a worried sigh which troubled Westman immensely.
 
“Relax, Bakura…I think you knew him better than that! He's just mad at us for kicking him out of the room…but then again, love can be confusing like that, child- even the tiniest details can be confusing when you're in love… ” Westman said.
 
Bakura turned to him determinedly and nodded “I understand what you mean…I must talk to him…” the boy finally said, as he walked towards the exit of the room.
 
“Thanks for your help, Doctor! I appreciate it!” Bakura thanked, and Westman was sure he could see that determined, impatient hue in his red eyes.
 
“You' re welcome! It was my pleasure!” the doctor said. The albino opened the door and made a move to walk out, but was stopped by Westman's call.
 
“Bakura!” the man shouted suddenly, and ruby red eyes sparked questioningly at him “Good luck” he finished, and Bakura's pale face nodded in resolve.
 
Only the click of the door was heard after that. Westman smiled slowly, as he resumed to gazing outside.
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
“Hey Mariku!!” the airy voice was heard echoing through the garden. Marik had to suppress the urge to turn around instantly. He forced himself to ignore Bakura and glare elsewhere- which was Marik's equivalent for sulking.
 
“Marik!” a louder tone commanded, and Marik turned around finally, to come face to face with surprisingly soft, whine-red eyes.
 
“What?” he asked stiffly, cursing himself for not managing to produce a harsher voice.
 
“…” Bakura started staring at the ground absently. Marik felt his blood hit his brain again with incredible speed. Why was Bakura playing games with him again? Marik had understood the albino's TRUE thoughts already…it was clear to him now that Bakura simply thought of him as a mere lunatic. Nothing more, nothing less.
 
“What do you want?” he asked again in a more demanding tone. His anger helped fuel his bitterness. Bakura sighed quite heavily and sat down next to Marik on the bench. The Egyptian was vaguely annoyed at that small display of intimacy…he didn't want anything to do with Bakura right now.
 
“Are you mad at me?”
 
Well that caught him off guard. Was he mad? Was he mad!?!!?? Of course he was mad! He was furious! He was so pissed off, in fact, that he could hardly see anything but red!! Bakura thought he was crazy!! Bakura thought-
 
Wait. Wasn't he supposed to be telling Bakura all this?
 
Instead, he found himself saying the very thing he had never meant to say. Not only that, but his voice had lost the harsh, violent edge and now sounded more hurt…more…indignant.
 
“Do you think I'm crazy?”
 
Bloodshot eyes widened instantly. Bakura turned towards him with a strange gaze that Marik couldn't really identify.
 
“What does that have to do with anything?” Bakura incredulously asked.
 
But now that Marik had actually posed the question that had been burning his liver for the last half an hour, he was quite eager to learn the answer.
 
“Do you?” he insisted, making Bakura sigh loudly and gaze at the distance forlornly.
 
“No.” it was a low murmur…nearly broken with weariness and emotion. Before Marik had any time to process the information, Bakura continued. “Is this why you're angry at me?” he asked.
 
Marik huffed and groaned “Liar! Why would you lock me out and talk to the shrink in private if you really don't think I'm crazy!?”
 
This time, Bakura turned to him in exasperation “So that's what this is all about! Listen here-”
 
Marik jumped to his feet “No YOU listen here!” his lavender eyes were burning with a fire so liquid it could scorch anything in its path. It was desperate and angry, two emotions that Marik was widely known for displaying “I'm tired of this! I'm tired of people treating me as though I'm some kind of lunatic!! I'm sick of it! You hear? Sick of it! I don't want to be shoved outside, while you and your buddies talk about how crazy I am!! I'm not crazy anymore damn it! Why can't you see!?!?”
 
Bakura stood up as well, interrupting Marik with his own unusually loud voice and burning dark eyes “I DO see, Mariku!! I'm the one who wanted you to get out of this place, remember!!?? You must understand that this is a HOSPITAL full of PSYCHIATRSTS who believe you are mentally unstable!! What am I supposed to DO!!!? I HAVE to reassure them everything is okay!! If I don't, then you're gonna be locked back in here and I'm never gonna see you again!! If it was up to ME you'd always be present in those stupid `meetings'!! I don't think you're crazy!! Don't you get it??! I'm the only one who doesn't! I'm the only one who…I'm the only one who…” Bakura paused and squeezed his eyes shut in nameless effort, combined with suppressed emotions.
 
Marik was staring at him by now, wide eyed and speechless. Both their hoarse breathing was heard, and a few nurses that had been observing the quarrel scurried away.
 
Bakura shook his head as though trying to lift some unpleasant memory from his head.
 
“The only one who what?” Marik questioned in a dangerously low whisper. But the albino simply shook his head harder and finally reopened his eyes. Now they seemed calm and sated, as though finally relieved.
 
“Just forget about it, Mariku…Let's go home…” Bakura simply said, and Marik knew that it would be no use further questioning… Bakura was never going to complete the sentence Marik yearned to hear.
 
What had Bakura been in the verge of saying?
 
Suddenly, everything that Marik had been thinking was reversed. It was too much information, and it came too suddenly for him to totally grasp. All that he could figure out from that hazy cloud of thoughts was that Bakura didn't see him as a lunatic. In fact, Bakura genuinely cared about him, judging by the albino's anger and actions.
 
`I may still have a chance…' Marik suddenly thought `Maybe I still have a chance…to show him what I'm worth…'
 
No other words were spoken, as the boys finally walked out of the gardens and back through the white corridors of the clinic. Each one was buried in his own thoughts, and Marik was dazedly following Bakura, trying to process all the information that had suddenly been tossed at him.
 
`And I who thought…' he started pondering, as he observed Bakura's back `I was so careless…I hurt him again…' Marik kept thinking.
 
Finally, the boys reached the car and got in wordlessly. In fact, the silence was so unbearable that Marik felt like plucking his hair out in desperation. And worst of all, the silence only made his guilt stronger and stronger.
 
It shone through his mind, that he had betrayed Bakura's trust once again. The albino expected him to show trust and care…but all he'd showed was doubt and anger…
 
And now it was killing him. More than any other time.
 
Only when the car suddenly stopped did the Egyptian realize that they had reached their house. The thickness in the air hovered around as Bakura pulled out his car key. Curiously, the albino made no move to get out…and neither did Marik. They just sat there, staring at nothingness, waiting for something to happen -but neither one knew what.
 
Finally, it was the Egyptian who broke the silence, in an attempt to quench his guilt by lightening the mood.
 
“I guess convertible cars really are bad for your hair. Look at this tangled mess…” he pointed at his own golden hair, which was now tangled from the wind.
 
Bakura simply turned and gave Marik a small smile, immediately turning back and continuing to stare outside dejectedly.
 
Finally, since Marik was drowning in self-hate and guilt, he decided to try another method. One he was embarrassed to even think about, but would try nonetheless…if it helped Bakura, then it was worth it…
 
“Sorry…”
 
One word, yet so much effort. Maybe one more try…
 
“I'm sorry, Bakura. I was confused.”
 
Now that sounded better, didn't it? Marik could tell it sounded better by the way Bakura's beautiful eyes widened and softened immediately. The albino turned to him with an expression of clear shock on his features. Marik could imagine what Bakura was thinking right now `Has Marik just apologized? Wow…he must be serious…'
 
Marik smiled a little at the thought, and refrained from laughing out loud. Who could have guessed…Yami Marik the maniacal murderer…or was it Marik Ishtar the vengeful Egyptian…oh well, they were the same person, right? Neither of them had ever apologized so sincerely…to anyone…
 
Bakura's face broke into an absolutely radiant smile. Marik was really hoping Bakura wouldn't continue the conversation they had earlier. He really didn't have any more stamina to talk about his feelings…
 
But Bakura surprised him yet again when he pointed at his own, tangled slivery hair.
 
“You're absolutely right, Mariku!! I think I need a shower right now! These convertibles really are a disaster for one's hairdo…”
 
And so Marik involuntarily smiled, savoring the fact that Bakura had chosen not to comment on his unusual apology. He was still a bit uncomfortable about it, by the way… Maybe Bakura knew him better than he knew himself, after all…
 
And so they went on with meaningless chit-chat, Bakura positively glowing radiantly from head to toe. Marik could never imagine that his simple apology would have such a heavenly effect on the angel. Maybe he should apologize more often, or something…
 
He smiled at his own thoughts, as he accompanied Bakura to the kitchen for a small snack…
 
 
Maybe there was a chance, after all…