Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Servant Yamis ❯ Chapter 31

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

WARNINGS: SHOUENEN-AI. THANKS TO YAMI BAKURA KIA FOR INSPIRING ME TO ACTUALLY DO THIS.

OK. I consulted several sites on Egyptian wedding traditions and this is the best I could do.

Angel of the Nile

Dawn. The first light of day was beginning to show over the horizon. Bakura stood in Ryou's dad's room wearing a suit and tie. Yami Yugi straightened the tie. Bakura growled at the silk noose. "I am never wearing anything like this ever ever ever again!"

Yami rolled his eyes. "You will never have to again, we promise. Hey, this is Ryou's day, too, you know. It's proper that you do something nice for him."

Bakura stretched his arms. "Like this isn't nice enough for him. I never thought this day would come, Yami." Bakura looked at himself in the mirror.

Yugi came running in. "We can't find the drink you bought for this, Bakura."

"The bottle is under the sink." Bakura said picking the little box off of the dresser. He sat at the edge of the bed turning to Yami. "This is all I've wanted, pharaoh. I never thought I would ever be happy. I never felt this happy since I robbed the tomb of your father."

"Must you keep reminding me of that?"

Joey came running in. "Do we gots more chairs?"

Yami turned to Joey. "Did you actually look? It's just us."

Joey ran outside and into Ryou's room where Yugi was helping Ryou with his tie. "Joey, can you check for a bottle of rose sherbet wine under the sink? I have to help Ryou with this tie." Ryou sighed as he looked into the back yard. Seto and Tristan were arguing about the seating arrangements. No one knew where to put Anzu who stayed around like a disease. No one wanted to be sat next to her. Joey wanted to sit with Seto. Tristen sat with Serenity. They placed two chairs beside one another in facing the others. Joey found the bottle and placed it outside on a table between the two chairs. A large wineglass was placed in front of the bottle.

Yugi turned to Ryou. "Why can't we do this somewhere else, Ryou?"

"Because no one would take us. We just need to do this for the symbolism, Yugi." Ryou looked down at the box in his hand. "No one would take us."

Seto knocked on the door. "Yami is ready. What about you guys? Ryou? You look pale. You alright?"

Ryou nodded and clutched the tiny box. "Just a little nervous. I don't know much about this."

"Bakura and Yami do. They're from Egypt, for crying out loud."

"It was Bakura's idea to do this by Egyptian tradition."

"Then let's get going and not make our yamis wait."

Ryou slowly walked down the stairs clutching the box tightly. When he got to the back door, his friends were waiting outside seated in the chairs. Yami stood between the two chairs holding an Egyptian Rite book. Ryou gulped and put the ring on his right index finger and sighed. Bakura entered the kitchen and looked at Ryou in his black suit. His ring was also on his right index finger. Bakura and Ryou locked stares. "Don't keep us waiting, you two." Yugi ran outside and tied Anzu to a chair and gagged her so she couldn't interrupt the tender moment ahead.

Both boys stared at each other intently. "You look good, Ryou."

Ryou nodded. "You too, yami."

"Is it time?"

Ryou nodded again and he offered his hand to Bakura. "If you want to back out now, this is the time. Forever hold your peace."

Bakura stood like a statue and finally moved to take Ryou's hand. I've never been more sure of anything in my life."

Bakura took Ryou's hand and they exited the back door together hand in hand. They moved to the two chairs in the front of the group. Bakura poured a glass of the rose sherbet wine and sipped it. He gave it to Ryou. Bakura offered it to Yami and he passed it around the crowd.

"Great God Ra, Bless this Wine. Make it grant long life and good health for Ryou and Bakura," Yami chanted.

Gods of Fortune

Gods of Grace

Gods of Hearts Pure and Chaste

Rain your Blessings On this Place

Bless the Couple as Face to Face

They Chant their Vows in Earnest Haste.

Bakura took the ring off of Ryou's left index finger and switched it to the right. "Ryou, my perfect half, with this ring, a symbol of immortality, I pledge my immortal soul to your contentment and protection. Never shall we part, my hikari." He took the ancient book and read a passage.

So what is love? If thou wouldst know

The human heart alone can tell:

Two minds with but a single thought,

Two hearts that beat as one.

Ryou put Bakura's ring on his other index finger. "Bakura, my immortal half, with this ring, a symbol of immortality, I pledge my love, my dedication, and my fidelity. Till death do us part, yami." Ryou took the book.

And whence comes Love? Like morning bright

Love comes without thy call

And how dies love? A spirit bright,

Love never dies at all.*

Seto wiped a tear from his eye and cried on Joey's shoulder. "I always cry at weddings."

Yami took the book from Ryou.

"Bakura. Ryou. Stand." Bakura and Ryou stood. "You may now kiss the…" Yami looked between the two boys. "Uh..You may now kiss each other." Bakura and Ryou entwined their fingers together and pressed their lips together softly and hugged. As they finished their ceremony, the sun began to rise. "Sunrise, yami. Look at all those colors."

"I wanted to do this in the morning. We start a new life on a new day, Ryou. A new life to erase all the damage I've done to you in the past."

"I have no regrets, yami. You are everything to me and I never want to be in the arms of another. You are mine and shall be always. After all, till death do us part." Bakura kissed Ryou again. Yami Yugi wiped a tear away.

After the ceremony and when it became later in the morning, Tristan provided the music ranging from slow dance music that he and Serenity danced to and various other kinds of good dance music. They held the music inside so they would not disturb the neighbors. Neither Bakura nor Ryou wanted the neighbors to be too informed as to their relationship. Bakura and Ryou danced their dance inside. When it came time for refreshments, Yami and Bakura made the customary meal of an Egyptian wedding which is lamb wrapped in rice and bread and dipped in stew. It was customary for Ryou and Bakura to eat first from the variety of salads and different entrees and Bakura dedicated an entire table to sweets of every kind: chocolate covered cherries, his favorite, chocolate cake, and an apple pie that Serenity made. Ryou and Bakura used the chocolate cake as their wedding cake. Serenity took a picture of Ryou feeding Bakura forkful of chocolate cake.

Anzu was kicked out of the house after that so she wouldn't be near anyone. Seto and Joey were dancing together as was Yami and Yugi. Tristan and Serenity were enjoying themselves watching the others dance. Bakura couldn't find Ryou anywhere. Bakura finally found Ryou upstairs in his parent's bedroom. It was customary for the married couple not to attend the festivities long in an Egyptian wedding, but for some reason, Bakura knew it wasn't custom that drove Ryou upstairs to his parent's bedroom. Ryou was sitting on his mother's side of the bed looking at her necklace and her wedding band.

"Ryou?" Ryou sniffled in response.

"I wish she were here, yami. She would be so proud of me. I thought she would be here in spirit on my wedding day."

Bakura sat beside him. "She is here, Ryou. Her spirit is here. She loved...loves you very much."

"I was just always wondering why dad never buried her with her wedding band. She never took it off."

"Neither will I, Ryou." Bakura kissed Ryou on the lips and closed the jewelry box. "Let's not dwell in the past, my love. Let's focus on the future. I love you and I don't want to see you like this on the happiest day of your life." Bakura cupped Ryou's cheek and drew him into a kiss.

Ryou smiled into the kiss and put the box on the bed. "You've made more happy than I ever imagined could be. I love you, Bakura."

"I love you, too, my angel of the Nile."

*This comes from a poem entitled "So what is love?" by Maria Lovell.